Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is Suicide Selfish? - Minitokyo

Is Suicide Selfish?

page 6 of 7 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

There isn't a more selfish thing a person could do.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

MizuhofanFFX2

MizuhofanFFX2

Mizuho Kazami's fan - FFX2 fan

may be not too bad when you had not thing left. i mean your family, your friend, your husband/wife your child all them dead well that way what you live for? i think best way in that case when you want suiside is send a mail to police and go to cemetery dig a hole and suiside in it when you deadshowel or , officer just fill that hole.(but suiside must hard like use a mattock or a showel that will fast, do you want suiside but not death still live when go to hospital?) well but when you still have someone not just only you suiside is very bad thing. winer is whom still alive.

I think it can be selfish, on your other family members but if you don't have any... well then... I'm not bothered.

' I like the wind, when I stand against the wind,It sweeps over me and makes me wanna fly...\'

People can criticize suicide as "selfish" or "indulgent" all they want, but if someone is considering suicide, they must be feeling pretty desperate, aren't they? And I'm not talking about kids who want to "kill themselves" because they got dumped by a bf/gf, or if something petty is bothering them. We all have our bad days, we all get depressed (to use the term loosely) from time to time, but suicide is a pretty big thing, isn't it? It is, as the saying goes, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Not to digress, my point is that suicidal people must be so steeped in depression that they don't have the heart and energy to think about whether it's selfish, how God will punish them for killing themselves, what their family members will think or what will happen after they die. Everything else is secondary to a suicidal person (and I'm just speculating here), the utmost priority is to get oneself out of this vicious cycle of anguish, hurt, fear or self-loathing. In short, they have a problem and they want out. Hope isn't smiling on them and they think it's easier to just die than to live on.

So calling suicide "selfish" is like an indirect slap to the face for suicidal people. It doesn't help to say it's selfish and then rant about it. It's not about being selfish or selfless, it's about feeling hopeless, and the desire to free yourself from pain. When you feel that way, nothing matters anymore. So, you might think of it as selfishness, but for others, it's just desperation.

"Is suicide selfish?" This isn't even a constructive debate. So what if it is? And what if it's not? Does it matter? What we should care about is the reasons why people feel suicidal, and think of ways to lift them from that momentary depression. Suicide is a mistake, but it's a big one that costs someone their life, and the people around that person a lot of pain.

The sad thing is, I believe suicide can be avoided. When you're feeling utterly hopeless, it feels so much better to have someone to talk to, to know that there might be others in the same situation as you, and to receive words of encouragement from people. This doesn't have to come from someone we're close to or familiar with; all that's needed is some sign that there is always hope for the future, no matter how bleak it seems for the time being.

It depends. Genera;ly suicides are made because people can't stand the way their life is turning out. But the other reason is trying to have an impact on the people around you. Although it can be considered selfish, it's not always the case. Sometimes you have no choice but to do so. I feel bad that I can't sympathize with the people who are in that suicidal state, so I really have no right to express how they should be viewed as selfish or not. In a nutshell, there really is no ssafe stance on this issue.

merged: 11-07-2005 ~ 05:15am
It depends. Genera;ly suicides are made because people can't stand the way their life is turning out. But the other reason is trying to have an impact on the people around you. Although it can be considered selfish, it's not always the case. Sometimes you have no choice but to do so. I feel bad that I can't sympathize with the people who are in that suicidal state, so I really have no right to express how they should be viewed as selfish or not. In a nutshell, there really is no ssafe stance on this issue.

On edge-crimson night and celsion moon. Misfiction not save the player is prayer. yes Dance romanesque and unfinished romancia.

Iyako

Iyako

Apathetic Insolence

In some ways suicide is selfish. Doing it without considering what will happen to those that are close to you is a selfish act. But just doing it because of how much you feel the need to isn't.

"Memories can be forgotten, but cannot be erased"- Iyako

Zyndarius

Zyndarius

Sage of the Five Paths

Nothing to consider about it, yes, siucide is a very selfish thing. Just to think that every person in this earth has relatives an people that care about her/him and to commit suicide would be just to override the feelings of all the people that surrounds the person that is planning to suicide, that, as simple as that. One has to be very very wrong to think that suiciding him/her self will finish all the problems or whatever it may be the reason. Is true, it may solve the own problems, but , what about the others, what about the brothers and sisters, what about the parents, what about the friends, the close friends and so on...

"Every spilled tear, feeds the roots, of a tree which the heavens will reach."

MuseiRain

MuseiRain

Resident mental patient..

I believe its your choice. In a way its selfish not to think of others in your life and yet its also selfish for those people not to let them go. I still find it stupid. Maybe cause im just a strong and stubborn person and refuse to give up.

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."

ManOnFire

ManOnFire

Fiery wrath time! MWAHAHAHA!

Yup. Suicide, once viewed in the right way, is very selfish. Not only that, it can even be seen as cowardly.

Suicide is nonbeneficial to anyone, and only serves to run away from problems. True, there are always going to be people who care about someone, and suicide only hurts them and benefits no one (not to mention kills the person in question him/herself). But also, he/she's providing the world with one less mind and helping hand.

If you think you've got nothing significant to offer to help the world along, much less change it, then you can still help. For example, that one extra set of hands and legs could be what allows the next support beam for the next subway station somewhere that's helping to get a businessman to work to finish dealings with company matters to make the next big innovation. In short, any help can lead the world to a better, improved place.

Then again, there are also plenty of people (anyone can be one) that can make a change on their own. Look at the Wright brothers: they managed to make what eventually became huge changes in the world's transportation. Any one (or few) person (or people) can have what it takes to help the world, and that person committing suicide may be one of those.

Thus, suicide is really selfish not only to loved ones, but to the world and its becoming a better place.

If it's red or fiery, I'll pay attention! WOOHOO! If it's red and fiery, GIMME!
Check my fiery userpage! (though I'm no photoshop expert):
Signature Image
Signature image made by ShueiTenshi. Thanks!

Suicide is selfish no matter how you look at it, it's an inconsideration for your loved ones and for the poor fool who finds you dead. Even if the intention is just to die and nothing more, those who consider suicide and attempt it don't care about people feeling sorry them, they have given up on life.

This brings the point of suicide to a different level of selfishness: you're depriving the world of what gifts that you may have or what you can contribute to society.

Lastly, there are those who are young children and young adults who are dying of some illness who would give anything to live. That's another reason suicide is selfish, it shows that the individual is ungrateful to be alive when others know they will die much sooner than expected.

no....your life...you choose to waste it or end it....but would care if your not here anymore?...At least i think that way ... ^_^ ..no harm in that.....or not?

Wow, I took the time to read the whole thread and there's quite a good point. jasaiyajin, what a smart kid...
I guess there's no point in teaching these group of people, still a lot to learn .. look out for the unexpected things i say... who knows ? but really, nothing wrong with suicide... IMO I would commit suicide right now, if only I could find a weapon bu there are none :P guess I have to stay alive a while longer haha.
You know it's hard for someone to live when they don't have that in-depth knowledge, everyone calls them useless, they are stupid, their parents want them to die, they are starving almost dead - why wouldn't they die ? oh well, sadly some people will never know things..

I hope I'm lucky enough to get the murderer come to my house instead of someone else's but I never get that lucky do I ? :( Self - righteous ? Probably, Less than 0.0001% of this world ? People ARE imbeciles lol :) Don't worry, Including me i suppose

Signature
Avatar + Signature made by TripleG :D Thanks

i thinks its selfish because everyone else goes through problems too, but they dont go killing themselfs over it, they actually try and make it better instead of taking the easy way out or life

INeedABeer

INeedABeer

Crazy, perverted white boy.

Of course it's selfsh! Just because you feel you're unable to deal with things, doesn't mean you have to go all emo and slit your wrist. There's a silver lining to every cloud, dammit! The whole reason people even do suicide is that they think that when they do, everything will be alll better (zomg instant gratification). Well, emo people, what if it won't be all better.... you go to hell where it's even worse cuz you can't kill yourself... or maybe religion was all wrong in the first place, and you get reincarnated as a cow on its way to the slaughterhouse? huh?

A signature??? why would i need one of those? Blasphemy, I say...

mangosteen

Your Geek Hot Lover

The intention of people who commits self-mutilation and suicide is to hurt the one who had wronged them. Suicidal people is related to depression, they need a psychiatric help immediately.

griffin

griffin

Super Natty

I think by the time you have decided to take your own life, then reasoning and logic have gone out the window. The problem/s are just too big to see around. People who suicide aren't doing it to hurt some one else as a rule, they are doing it to escape it all because they can't do it any longer. They do it regardless of others. It is not cowardly, that's just the next cliche that people say about something that is beyond their depth and nor is it selfish. How can you say it's selfish when it's all so bad for some one that it drives them to the brink and over it. It was said earlier in this thread that maybe the people around the suicide are the selfish one's as they are the people who failed to see that this person had big problems or if they did, they just didn't care enough to bother to help. I agree with that.

The guy that has to go take out a few other innocent people before he tops himself is the lowest bit of scum and it's good that they are gone. Having said that, there is no chance on earth that they were sane, so how can you even judge that ?

you are the ones being selfish! a person has the right to his or her own life

Sthyr kurik pothoc cats mrith vargach garurt. Cats valeij. Sthyr clax molik. Sthyr valignat Cats. Sthyr dartak. Sthyr gixustrat cat aussir cat thric loex...

NoobOfNobb

NoobOfNobb

insert custom title here

yes suicide is selfish. those that commit suicide are only taking the easy way out, before they think about it, they should think about there love ones and how they would feel if that person commit suicide. instead of running away from your problems, go face to face with it and try to resolve it. it you confronted your problem and it remains unsolve, go get an outsider that know you both well and try to work it out.

Why dont the people saying it is selfish first become suicidal and take on their position before you go on judging them.. ? All opinions are useless nowadays anyway, some people who talk about the grander scale, have you ever considered that you guys yourselves haven't seen it ? the best way to explain it is figure it out yourselves

Signature
Avatar + Signature made by TripleG :D Thanks

champ0342

champ0342

Anime's Beeotch

suicide is likely selfish because the number one most effective way for a person who is attempting to talk a person out of a suicide is to make it about other people and not the person committing suicide

Signature
www.transluscent.net/perspective/
Gain a little Perspective

If you look at it from an outside point of view, it definitely looks selfish but often the person who wants to kill themselves tend to have a temporary unstable mind. Whether you look at that as being selfish even with a depressed and unstable mind is up to you.

I didn't think angels existed until I met one.

Kryuzei

Kryuzei

Moe's Hunter :D

selfish ? yep.....
you'll die and you regret it.....

Signature
Nya~~ pretty thx to PAche for this sig :P
lolz....i got the Haruhism Fever T_T

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

Quote by xkamuroSuicide is always a touchy topic, and some believe the act to be openly selfish and indulgant, but I think after analyzing it a bit more in a lot of cases it can be very different from the stereotypical selfish belief.

Alright, no religion. (finally)

In my opinion, suicide is first of all a capitulation of ones personal strength agains life. If someone is having personal, cultural, or whatever problems he can't solve, some people tend to suicide because it is an easy way to get free of the problem. But in most cases not thinking about the impact on others, since everyone of us is part of a community (or should be).

The community is there to help with circumstances to hard for one to handle. If this isn't the case it's not only a loosing act but the also a failure of the community.

that's, hard to say
if there really is no other way, then maybe it isn't selfish
if being a burden on the people you love while you still live, then maybe?
on the other hand, there is also the pain of the people left behind to consider

page 6 of 7 « Previous 1... 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 148 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.