Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 DBZ fans, GO HOME! DBZ isn't Anime - Minitokyo

DBZ fans, GO HOME! DBZ isn't Anime

Tagged under

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 77 total items

Has anyone else ever got into an argument about why DBZ is not considered anime? (to me anyway) I've watched it and its honestly one of the most plotless, horribly drawn, piece of "anime" i've ever seen and its not the only one i'm sure. Just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about DBZ as I do. Also, what other anime series do you consider "not so good?" (absolute pieces of crap)

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

You might wanna change the title of the thread. It is offensive to some. You don't want to provoke a flame war, don't you?

And I for one was DBZ fan when I was a kid, mind you. When you're at that age, of course we prefer all out action over a storyline. I no longer like it now but it still holds a place in me. It was one of the shows that really exposed me to anime beside the awesome Macross.

And what do you mean 'not so good'? The stuff you said about DBZ?

there are worse than DBZ. computer generated cartoons like Code Lyoko and kiddie shows Megaman, Pokemon, etc. shouldn't be anime either. even if they might be good, not that i don't like them, but you won't catch me watching Fox in the morning to see them.

I'm with you on that one White-Zero!

I still watch it some time just for the laughs and the action for the movies. I admit it doesn't have much of a plot but it's a good basic moral builder for the kids. :)

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!!!

DBZ was pretty much my stepping stone, though I don't think you really have the right to tell people what is and isn't anime. >_> Opinions are welcome and all but I'm sure there are people that disagree, I'm pretty much with white-zero on this one though, not really ashamed to admit that I was a DBZ fanatic but now that I've seen more quality anime, I don't like it.

DBZ is anime. Just because you don't like it or think it's not good doesn't matter. It's from Japan, and it's animated - so it's anime...

Alright, Alright. Not really trying to offend anyone too much. It's just anytime I start talking about Anime, "dbz" is the first the thing I hear out of some peoples mouth and before the "z" even escapes their mouth I wanna take one of those fans you always see people getting smacked with in Anime to the persons skull, to put it politely. Anymore series that you feel belong in the "less than anime" category?

sure, the old eps of dbz are badly drawn, but they did get better, just like any anime that last that long does. i'll admit that the writing for dbz was 'this guy is bad, lets train so we can beat him, but foreplay is always a good place to start' or 'someone bad is coming, lets train then try to stop him, and remember the foreplay!', but it's still anime.

haha...the thread title realy caught my attention. I used to like DBZ when I was a kid. It's kinda lame now, as is most anime imo. Can't say I'm a fun of many except maybe FMA and Samurai Champloo.
Eh...to each his own ya know? If the guy doesn't like DBZ, let him not like it.

Signature

dude, ChainerKuberr,....foreplay? what kind of DBZ version are you watching? Maybe im just confused by your terminology and defenition of foreplay, please elaborate....hehe...foreplay.

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

well at least im not the only one that think dbz is not an anime, more like a cartoon for lil guys now. the screaming, yelling, those guy characters with ripped shirts. who those creator think of us guys, gay? well i only seen like seconds of "dbz freaks" was watching whatever how many series they have.. i never like action "cartoons" anyways.

Signature

kylewasson

kylewasson

Otaku-man

DBZ is what got me started on anime. Now it seems a little drawn out but if you want to criticize an anime try Pokemon or Sailor Moon. Now those two are bad animes.

Visit my website here.

View Kyle's Latest Wall here (Jumping For Joy!) | Scott's Latest here (Night Magic).

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

DBZ is considered gateway anime, or in other words a starting point for those who have no clue as to what anime is at all. While it might not be the best in terms of overall quality (or it might not even be good at all for that matter), it's enough to attract people and make them want more anime.

And in any case, if you're a 20 year old as you so claim to be, I suggest you act like one and quit throwing out random opinions and talking about how you wanna beat people up for talking about DBZ and making yourself look like an immature child.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

Yeah. I used to love DBZ. I must say that every once in a while it does feel nice to watch something and be able to zzone out for like an hour and come back and have it be the same scene.

Everyone has their own opinions about stuff like this. I consider it anime, but I do recognise it as anime more focuses towards smaller children and kids. As far as animation goes, there are plenty worse out ther.

I perosonally find it hilarious that it went on for so long, I mean, WOW. If you include DB, DBZ and dbgt, there are like 600 episodes. Thats amazing no matter how you look at it.

Oh well, To Each His Own.

Oh were going the I'm immature route huh? ok. Well I may sound it to you, I honestly don't think so. I mean dont get me wrong, DBZ has had the throne for quite some time but thank god it's being overthrown by a better series like Naruto( I hate cartoon network and their dubs and editing) Now Naruto is a good anime. I dont even have to explain myself on that series. You can be a DBZ fan, I have no problem with that, its when your my age or older and DBZ is all you know. I mean c'mon, its targeted at kids and your high-teens or 20 something and thats still all you have to talk about is DBZ? gimme a break, you wanna know a good series? Try Gankutsuou man, one of the best revenge stories ever. Retold as an anime and it was a masterpiece. Studio Gonzo's Speedgrapher, Trinity Blood, and Basilisk, all awesome. I could go on and on about good series. My favs are teen & mature rated anime. Call me immature? Curiosity if anything.... and the curious question is..." Don't you know there's more to anime than dbz?"

white-zero

white-zero

Uh Naruto? Mature? It's DBZ with ninjas essentially and little storyline.

I'll be in the corner of the room laughing.

I think he more means its just stupid to beat someone up because they have different ideas than you. Although it couldn't hurt for you to maybe making your posts eaier to understand. Ideas deserve their own space.

Most of the time, huge blobs of text are just ignored.

oh really? Then white-zero my friend, you dont know jack...about Naruto. You must have been watching the cartoon network version that aired last saturday. try it unedited or the manga, it has better plot and story in its 150 episodes then dbz ever did in its 600+ or whatever number of "amazing" episodes. yea laugh it up zero.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

DBZ is an anime cause well it is made in japan and such, and as for plotless? it has plot lol

if you dont like plotless anime, then dont watch excel saga or PPP

Signature Image

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

Quote by markby2kOh were going the I'm immature route huh? ok. Well I may sound it to
you, I honestly don't think so. I mean dont get me wrong, DBZ has had
the throne for quite some time but thank god it's being overthrown by a
better series like Naruto( I hate cartoon network and their dubs and
editing) Now Naruto is a good anime. I dont even have to explain myself
on that series. You can be a DBZ fan, I have no problem with that, its
when your my age or older and DBZ is all you know. I mean c'mon, its
targeted at kids and your high-teens or 20 something and thats still
all you have to talk about is DBZ? gimme a break, you wanna know a good
series? Try Gankutsuou man, one of the best revenge stories ever.
Retold as an anime and it was a masterpiece. Studio Gonzo's
Speedgrapher, Trinity Blood, and Basilisk, all awesome. I could go on
and on about good series. My favs are teen & mature rated anime.
Call me immature? Curiosity if anything.... and the curious question
is..." Don't you know there's more to anime than dbz?"

1. Ever consider the possibility that these 20 year olds haven't seen even the slightest trace of anime for a good 90% of their life? Under those circumstances, DBZ would seem like something truly ground breaking and fresh compared to American cartoons and whatnot.

2. There are different types of people around the world, some are more into anime than others. I for one haven't even heard of Gankutsuou til now, so it's more than likely that the ONLY anime these 20 year olds that you speak of have even heard about are Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and DBZ.
So for these people the answer to your question "Don't you know there's more to anime than dbz?" is no. They don't and they probably never will unless someone shows them or something.

3. I call you immature cause you stated that you felt like inflicting physical harm on someone who only talks about dbz. In my book, stating the intention to inflict physical harm on anyone no matter the reason is something that only little immature kids do. Stating that online is even worse, to me it means you have to hide behind the safety of the internet just to say something like that.
I also call you immature cause you act like what you say is the undeniable rule. At the age of 20 I'm surprised that you don't understand each person has their own outlook on things and their own preferences. If you don't like something fine, you don't have to ridicule those who like something that you don't like.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

white-zero

white-zero

Quote by markby2koh really? Then white-zero my friend, you dont know jack...about
Naruto. You must have been watching the cartoon network version that
aired last saturday. try it unedited or the manga, it has better plot
and story in its 150 episodes then dbz ever did in its 600+ or whatever
number of "amazing" episodes. yea laugh it up zero.

See? Which part of 'was a DBZ fan' you don't understand? This proves that you're immature (and lack understanding about grammar). English assignment for you, kid. Git.

And I don't have CN at my place mind you. And I actually watched the first 75 episodes of Naruto until I gave it up because it reminds me of DBZ. rofl

I'll be laughing my ass off if Naruto reached the same amount of 'mature' episodes like DBZ.

weazel2k2

Devourer of Anime

ninjas + blood + swearing > train, kill evil being, over and over again, edited in america for 7 year olds.
now i will grant you a win by technicalities that indeed "cartoons" made in japan are called anime. but it still misleads others seeing anime for the 1st time later on in life to what anime is really like. you can hate it or like it but it is one series i will not add to my collection.

Live anime.....Breath anime.....Eat anime...hmmmm might die from eating it.

Quote by markby2kBLAH BLAH BLAH Don't you know there's more to anime than dbz?"

Nobody is arguing that DBZ is the only anime, or the best anime, or even that it is a good anime. In the title of the thread and in your first post you claim that DBZ is not anime, which is complete nonsense. It's like saying that Carrots are not vegetables, just because you don't like them.

It's animated, and was made by Japanese, for Japanese, in Japanese and aired on Japanese TV. It doesn't matter if it sucks or you dislike it, DBZ is an anime, period.

And you go on and on and on about how there are other, better shows and you are sick of people talking about DBZ. Well, you were the one who started a thread about it. You could have started a thread about 1000 other animes from Astro Boy to Z Gundam, but YOU chose DBZ.

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

Quote by white-zeroUh Naruto? Mature? It's DBZ with ninjas essentially and little storyline.

I'll be in the corner of the room laughing.

of course Naruto is immature.........

tch, REAL men watch hentai*cough* *cough*

*gasp* *wheeze* *choke* *spasm* *pass out* *twitch* *twitch*

Signature Image

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 77 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.