Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Does anyone else think we live in a paradox? - Minitokyo

Does anyone else think we live in a paradox?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

I mean, just observing life. I am a slave and yet I'm a master! The yin-yang represents this belief the best as a visual expression of life.

EDIT:
I just remembered the song and artist that inspired me to ask this question... it's very poetic, so I'll post the lyrics too.

artist: Slipknot, song: Vermillion (vivid red color)

She seems dressed in all the rings...
Of past fatalities
so fragile, yet so devious
She continues to see
climatic hands that press
Her temples and my chest enter the night
That she came home... forever

Oh (She's the only one that makes me sad)

She is everything and more
The solemn hypnotic
My Dahlia, you're bathed in possession
She is home to me

I get nervous, perverse when I see her its worse
But the stress is astounding
It's now or never she's coming home
Forever

Oh (She's the only one that makes me sad)

Hard to say what caught my attention
Fixed and crazy--Aphid Attraction
Carve my name in my face, to recognize
Such a pheromone cult to terrorize

I won't let this build up inside of me X4

(Yeah!)

I'm a slave, and I am a master
No restraints and, unchecked collectors
I exist through my need, to self oblige
She is something in me, that i despise

I won't let this build up inside of me X4 + X2

SHE ISN'T REAL! I CAN'T MAKE HER REAL! X2

(She isn't real, I can't make her real) X2

-repeat-

PAche

PAche

hoarder

yes, life is a freaking huge paradox.irony can be found everywhere

Signature Image
;when the taste of blood become bittersweet
My Gallery
latest wallpaper: Point-blanc

yeea, thats a given so many aspects of *society* = Paradox

Signature
Avatar + Signature made by TripleG :D Thanks

xange

xange

~white bunny~

You know me already so in my own way of thinking i do think there is irony in some aspects.

she'll **** you just for the taste

Signature

j0n0

j0n0

Increadibly Cute

Ahh life, the comedic drama, filled with every possible type of irony. I really don't think we live in a paradox. It is just we don't fully understand or know the all the facts, so life seems to contridict itself. I try to view life as it is not how I think it should be. Saves a lot of extra headaches.

An eye for an eye brings justice, but it is compassion that changes a man.

Another point of view doesn't necessarily make yours more or less right.

xange

xange

~white bunny~

Example: Be it vegetarianism, animal testing, or anything that infringes on the lives of other creatures, we all come down to the same arguements.

You shouldn't kill!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree, killing is bad. Yet in order to make that tofu-veggie stir-fry, you thoughtlessly murdered dozens of plants - soy plants, bean plants, carrot plants, etc.

But plants don't have feelings. They have no nervous system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's true, they don't. So by your logic, all animals are superior to all plants. Does that mean that it's not okay to step on an ant crossing the path, but it is okay to chop down a 500-year-old sequoia? After all, that tree can't feel anything.

Well, no. You shouldn't chop down trees, either!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So we've established that in order for us to live, something needs to die. We've also established that maybe animals aren't superior to plants after all. So if we have to kill something, why not a big ol' tasty cow? After all, it's a stupid creature. Definitely nonsentient.

Hey! Cows have feelings and thoughts, you know. They can feel love and fear and pain. The way they are raised in meat factories is inhumane! They get no chance to live before they are killed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So it's cruel and horrible for a human to keep a calf in a box to turn it into veal, but it's gentle and peaceable for a cheetah to zip out a gazelle's intestines while it's still alive? And prior to that, the gazelle lived a happy life, constantly too cold or too hot and underfed and eternally in fear of cheetahs (do keep in mind that less than half the babies gazelle ever live to adulthood).

It's only doing that to survive. It needs to eat meat to live.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nope. We can take all the cheetahs and tube-feed them tofu with vitamin suppliments and they'll live just fine - the exact same way humans can survive without animal protein.

But that's cruel to the cheetah! It's only doing what comes naturally. Besides, it's not the same as killing another of its same species.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's true, it is. And animals can be some real shits sometimes. Have you ever watched mallard ducks in the late summer? The male mallard duck has, by percentage body weight, the highest testosterone levels of any creature alive. All of the unmated males join together in packs of up to 30 or more and chase the unmated female mallards by land, by water, by air, until finally she's so exhausted they catch her and beat her up within an inch of her life and gang-rape her. When they're finally done with her, she's bruised, bleeding, had feathers pulled out, and quite miserable. That is what is "natural." Oh, and as for killing another of the same species? Animals do that all the time - a male lion taking over the pride will kill all the cubs of his predecessor so that the females will come into heat and he can impregnated them. Wolves will kill tresspassers to their territory if they can't be dissuaded any other way. And ants from rivaling colonies will kill each other for just about any reason. So why isn't it okay for humans to rape and murder?

That's because we can choose not to. We can control our hormones.
Okay then ... are you saying that animals can't?

Uh, yes.
Good job! And that distinction, that difference, the ability to control one's self, is the sentience that has allowed us to become civilized. Civilization is the hallmark that allows us to live comfortable lives free from fear, and one of the many benefits is that we damn well deserve to subjugate other creatures.

So there you have it. Either ALL living things are equal, in which case it's just as much a crime to kill a microbe as a cow, so as long as we don't kill our own species then we might as well snack upon the tasty cowflesh ... or all living things are not equal, in which case cows are inferior to us and we might as well snack upon the tasty cowflesh.

One last comment:

*i don't actually have any problem with vegetarians. Feel free to eat whatever you want. I eat meat, you don't, and that's cool. Be it religion, upbringing, dislike of meat, or to cut down on animal cruelty, it's all good with me. I am targeting ONLY the self-righteous vegetarians, the ones who insist that they are morally superior to me because they don't eat meat. Y'know, the ones who don't believe in mutual respect of culinary choices. Everyone else is fine. *

Signature

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

xange, you should have started your own topic...

your target audience is vegetarians, why?

-repeat-

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Neat topic! Here's a big juicy paradox:

"War is a sad and horrible and evil thing, because thousands of people die horrible deaths that don't have to, and millions of dollars are wasted that don't have to be. So in order to end the war, let's shovel millions of dollars into developing (insert doomsday super-weapon here) to deploy against (insert enemy here) and crush them quickly to restore peace to our world."

This seems to be the logic behind every offensive weapon ever developed: firearms, cannons, land mines, atom bombs, rockets, jet aircraft, mustard gas, and the list goes on and on. The funniest part is, the "doomsday weapon" during the war it was created in, always winds up being par for the course during the next large war. Paradox!

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

Define paradox.

If everybody knows just who you are, then your walk on role becomes a major part. Have you ever attempted to be yourself? When everybody wants you to be someone else... Going up and down and back again..

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

From www.thefreedictionary.com :

par·a·dox (pr-dks)
n.
1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.
2. One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: "The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears" Mary Shelley.
3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.
4. A statement contrary to received opinion.

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

xange

xange

~white bunny~

Quote by jasaiyajinxange, you should have started your own topic...
your target audience is vegetarians, why?

oh no personal reason, is just the first paradox that went through my mind :)

Signature

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.