Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Ethnicity | how much it matters | should it matter? - Minitokyo

Ethnicity | how much it matters | should it matter?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 70 total items

Alright, so lately I've been pondering over how much of your life is decided on your roots. It seems that everywhere you go people automatically judge you from your ethnic background and culture, Im Cuban, I have no problem saying this, and it is a very popular question people ask me, Im often asked if I "swam" over here as well (i didn't), I joke around and say I did. But my ethnic background seems to decide a lot more than what my friends think of me or what I can joke about, it plays a huge factor on the outcome of your studies (especially college) and the possible job you may or may not recieve, the women/man you may marry and your overall lifestyle.

[Expectations]

alright, so, it seems like people expect certian things from you when you are part of a certian ethnicity, for instance, people expect me to be a good swimmer (a word of advice..if you're ever drowning next to me do not hold on to me because you will die quicker) other things people expect from me is speaking my native language fluently (which in this case I do ^_^), being a good dancer, and listen to certian music. Now those of you who've seen my pic, or even met me, should know that I look nothing like the tipical cuban would, I try to keep my mind very open minded when it comes to music, but rarely will you see me listening or dancing to Salsa, yet people (family, friends) seem to expect these things from me, purely based on ethnicity. Another VERY important expectation, is that parents usually seem apprehensive about the person-you're/will be-dating's ethnicity.

[Question]

now, my question is, do you believe where you/ your family comes from, should really affect your life so drastically, is it fair to get into a college just to fill a certian percentage of your race rather than meeting the requirements? is it fair that people will judge your personality on your ethnic background? and if you have any peculiar stories/statements like mine..please do post them, I am rather interested in all your opinions.

Signature Image

My cultue does not effect my way of life nor the way i do things. I am not much of a supporter for my culture, because i do feel it is wrong in many ways then right.The college part is extremely wrong and inconciderate. I feel that is extremely racist. To do that would put people who truly deserve a higher level of education, to lose their spot in which they do deserve.

I hate and detest people who judge me for my looks and background, its extrememly rude. Firstly, its best to get to knwo me, and learn my personality before judging me. I feel people who are quick to judge have nothing better in their lives then to detest people.

Sorry, i dont really have any stories>.<

TrinityLi

TrinityLi

innocence

I understand where you're coming from. I'm half mexican and half black. A lot of people, especially guys, want me to have the features that both mexican and especially black women have. Such as good cooks, great companions, but most importantly big breasts and a big butt. Now I'm 5'7" and 115 lbs. so I can only have but so much junk in the truck. When people see me, they say I'm fake, especially my spanish speaking friends. They say that I'm not 100%, that I'm a mutt, and that I don't proudly show my mexican heritage and that's because I rarely speak spanish. Now I speak spanish, but not 100% of the time. My dad's mexican so I learned from him, my mom knows no spanish at all so when my dad moved out when I was 6, I spoke mainly english because of her. Now if you speak to me in spanish, I'll talk back to you in spanish, but if I'm in a group with people who know no spanish, I'll respond in english. I just don' like it because they judge without knowing the situation. I don't think that your ethnicity should effect how people treat you but some people are just so closed minded and only look skin deep. Yes, I'm mixed and I'm proud of who I am and where I came from. Call me a mutt, call me fake, I don't care. Who I am and how I am shouldn't effect how you treat me. If I'm kind to you and treat you with respect, the only thing I ask is for you to treat me with that same kindness and respect. I just wish people would grow up and know that the true intentions of a person lie on the inside, in their hearts, don't judge them because of their race or color.
(Sorry if I rambled on)
Great topic, SK! :)

.:Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana:.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by SharinganKnightnow, my question is, do you believe where you/ your family comes from, should really affect your life so drastically, is it fair to get into a college just to fill a certian percentage of your race rather than meeting the requirements? is it fair that people will judge your personality on your ethnic background? and if you have any peculiar stories/statements like mine..please do post them, I am rather interested in all your opinions.

I'll keep saying this over and over again...only you, the individual, can make the most difference in your life. Ethnicity shouldn't dictate what you should do; I don't really believe in predestiny because everyone has the ability to make something out of themselves. And, yes, people do judge by background. There are certain races that people do like, and there are other races that are rather fallen because of rumors or opinions that became truths.

Get this...there was a college I went to last year in which 96% of black people attended. The outcome was terrible. At the beginning of the year, there were about 200 students in the class. At the middle of the year, there were only 1500 students remaining. I got so much of an impression that maybe black people were not set out to learn good from bad, seeing as how a lot of them are poor and don't grow up the way they should like other people. So many of them end up in jail from what I'm hearing these days, and it's rather unfair that black people aren't getting as much treatment as other races. And then we beat up on each other most of the time, which is stupid. Instead of bonding, we're pretty much breaking each other apart, based on my experiences.

Rap music...a definite original from black people, right from the very Bronx, the place in New York in which I live. We received a bad label because of the music, so more and more, we become unappreciated. It's as if I feel I should've been born in a different race. It seems like one of the worst combos out there is black with indian because they seem to get picked on the most, and I fulfill that too.

Is it because of our skin color? I heard that those who have lighter skin are actually more appreciated and have it much easier in the world, and this is a complete bias. I, too, generally do not like dark skin because I don't think that I'm appreciated much myself because of it. That's why at times, I wish I was born a different race because I would feel more accepted in society and maybe I wouldn't have to worry about people walking past me because of my race. I mean no offense to anyone of my race, but this is truly how I feel.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Quote by silentmasamuneGet this...there was a college I went to last year in which 96% of black people attended. The outcome was terrible.

Quote: Rap music...a definite original from black people, right from the very Bronx, the place in New York in which I live. We received a bad label because of the music, so more and more, we become unappreciated. It's as if I feel I should've been born in a different race.

Mel, see, this is how stereotypes let out by media, society, and people everyday, effect humans and make people quick to judge.

See, if you automaticlly see a darker toned male walking down the street, you automaticlly believe he is a gangster or murderer/rapist, which is not completely true.

Perhaps the only reason as to why the last college you went to was bad because they,themselves fell into the stereotypes.

As you can see, rap music does inspire many many people to do things, especially what they say in the music, such as murder and rape..this is only the bad rap. I have heard some pretty decent rap music in which i still listen to even though i am not much of a fan.
Music can inspire a person do to things, this is because the media is pursuing this message to that certain group. Telling them they should rape women, slap their behinds, or be sluts, or perhaps join in gunfights because it will give you the title of being "ultimately cool". I do feel that some people do fall under stereotypes. It just takes a strong will to keep yourself alive, and not fall under them.

Lodigo

~Assasin Cross~

Heya...

Quote by SharinganKnightnow, my question is, do you believe where you/ your family comes from, should really affect your life so drastically, is it fair to get into a college just to fill a certian percentage of your race rather than meeting the requirements? is it fair that people will judge your personality on your ethnic background? and if you have any peculiar stories/statements like mine..please do post them, I am rather interested in all your opinions.

To explain this I have to go back in history. You see during the colonial period of Surinam, indian people were brought from India to Surinam to work on the fields.(Suriname, a Caribbean country on the mainland of South America, North of Brazil)
So my parents were born there and from there my family came here to The Netherlands.so i was born here.I think i dont have a choice to ignore that because we talk in another language ..we eat indian/surinam food...you know its our culture..so i guess i cant do anything about it.

But i dont care much about the indian stuff..i only watch those bollywood movies and stuff XD

Also im Muslim and brown too -_-; so sometimes i get problems with that, i think its not fair that people judge so easily because of ur background and/or religion.

1 time my grandma was walking outside with her head couvered because she is allergic of the sun.And then there came a guy and said:Hey Bin Ladens sister -_-;

ohh yeah and about the marry thing... my gf is Spanish and Christain
i have no problems with it

Ethnicity shouldnt matter..well thats my opinion.

LadyKitana

LadyKitana

Princess K

i dont think its right at all for people to judge you by your background, it cheap and unfair.
I'm alot of things since my parnets are both mixed. My mother is half japanese half canadian
and my father is half cuban half canadian
people think because of my canadian side that i alsways say "eh" or love the cold ( i love winter but thats not the point)
^_^' the cuban side of me, people expect that i am born to be a dancer and singer (which i love doing but again thats not the point) and dont get me started on the japanese part!
ive been asked if i can speak full japanese, do i have my own anime show, and worse does do i eat frog legs or mice. thats the thing that gets me mad and alittle hurt, but i tell them, just because im something doesnt mean im like a person with the same bg as me

Signature

No one lives forever, But when I'm with you i feel immortal

AngelXXX

AngelXXX

Yaoi Lover

My culture doesn't change me at all. Even if i am in a different culture i would be the same. I would have the same abilities. I really hate it when people asks me if i really do this, and if i really do that. When people are like that i get really mean.

I'm Back!!

Lodigo

~Assasin Cross~

Quote by SilentMasamuneIt seems like one of the worst combos out there is black with indian because they seem to get picked on the most, and I fulfill that too.

Is it because of our skin color? I heard that those who have lighter skin are actually more appreciated and have it much easier in the world, and this is a complete bias. I, too, generally do not like dark skin because I don't think that I'm appreciated much myself because of it. That's why at times, I wish I was born a different race because I would feel more accepted in society and maybe I wouldn't have to worry about people walking past me because of my race. I mean no offense to anyone of my race, but this is truly how I feel.

sometimes i have the same experience as you but i think you shouldnt worry about it too much..

Quote by SilentMasamune

Quote by SharinganKnightnow, my question is, do you believe where you/
your family comes from, should really affect your life so drastically,
is it fair to get into a college just to fill a certian percentage of
your race rather than meeting the requirements? is it fair that people
will judge your personality on your ethnic background? and if you have
any peculiar stories/statements like mine..please do post them, I am
rather interested in all your opinions.

I'll keep saying this
over and over again...only you, the individual, can make the most
difference in your life. Ethnicity shouldn't dictate what you should
do; I don't really believe in predestiny because everyone has the
ability to make something out of themselves. And, yes, people do judge
by background. There are certain races that people do like, and there
are other races that are rather fallen because of rumors or opinions
that became truths.

yes, its true, only I can make a difference in the outcome of my life, but it seems society is out to make that rather diffucult. The college, part is a law, its not something you can avoid, YOUR ethnicity WILL affect YOU EDUCATION.

Quote by SilentMasamune
Get this...there was a college I went to last year in which 96% of
black people attended. The outcome was terrible. At the beginning of
the year, there were about 200 students in the class. At the middle of
the year, there were only 1500 students remaining. I got so much of an
impression that maybe black people were not set out to learn good from
bad, seeing as how a lot of them are poor and don't grow up the way
they should like other people. So many of them end up in jail from what
I'm hearing these days, and it's rather unfair that black people aren't
getting as much treatment as other races. And then we beat up on each
other most of the time, which is stupid. Instead of bonding, we're
pretty much breaking each other apart.

I think you messed up with the numbers, but it seems you came off at a ratehr sterotypical start here, how do you know that if your class was 96% white, you wouldn't have ended up with the same numbers? You saw a drastic change in the black students amount beccause well...most of the school was made up by them. A bit racial this issue is.

Quote by SilentMasamune
Rap music...a definite original from black people, right from the very
Bronx, the place in New York in which I live. We received a bad label
because of the music, so more and more, we become unappreciated. It's
as if I feel I should've been born in a different race. It seems like
one of the worst combos out there is black with indian because they
seem to get picked on the most, and I fulfill that too.

Actually I believe puerto rican's had as big of an impact in rap as did african americans, and this yet again, is very steroe typical.

Quote by SilentMasamune
Is it because of our skin color? I heard that those who have lighter
skin are actually more appreciated and have it much easier in the
world, and this is a complete bias. I, too, generally do not like dark
skin because I don't think that I'm appreciated much myself because of
it. That's why at times, I wish I was born a different race because I
would feel more accepted in society and maybe I wouldn't have to worry
about people walking past me because of my race. I mean no offense to
anyone of my race, but this is truly how I feel.

This is the part where the six grader latina comes out and says "Im __ and proud of it!". Im disappointed to hear this from you..wishing to be anotehr race, you're being kind of a hypocrite right here, first you come off saying only you can make a difference then you say you'd like to be lighter, well I guess you can follow Michael's foot steps and make a difference, although Im not sure it'd be a good one.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by SharinganKnightThis is the part where the six grader latina comes out and says "Im __ and proud of it!". Im disappointed to hear this from you..wishing to be anotehr race, you're being kind of a hypocrite right here, first you come off saying only you can make a difference then you say you'd like to be lighter, well I guess you can follow Michael's foot steps and make a difference, although Im not sure it'd be a good one.

I know that the individual has the power to make a difference, but if almost nothing but the stereotypical issues are getting in the way of making that difference, then what's the point? If anything is to blame, it's the media, and the media has brainwashed people's minds into thinking who should be accepted and who shouldn't, and those people listen to that stuff as well. I do not want to listen to that stuff, but I may be subjected to it as well because of all the things that go on around me, and I find it to me more and more factual. Trust me, it seems worse than you think.

Signature Image

LadyKitana

LadyKitana

Princess K

^_^' this board brought back bad momories from when i was younger and got teased everyday
for being canadian, i remember even the teacher would ask me a question and when i answered it
shes like" oh your done? i thought you were going to say eh" and everyone would laugh
and the kids even made those annoying sounds like "chin chong" those stupid things people do to mock how people speak in their language

Signature

lol, yea the mocking was quite persistant on my side as well, especially about dancing and swimming

Quote:
I know that the individual has the power to make a difference, but if almost nothing but the stereotypical issues are getting in the way of making that difference, then what's the point? If anything is to blame, it's the media, and the media has brainwashed people's minds into thinking who should be accepted and who shouldn't, and those people listen to that stuff as well. I do not want to listen to that stuff, but I may be subjected to it as well because of all the things that go on around me. Trust me, it seems worse than you think.

again with the hypocrism, you know the individual can make a difference yet you don't think you can, because the media of all things is stopping you. A black man once went white, look how he ended up, a lot of thanks to the media too. You can change what people think of you, and as gay a quality as it may seem, who cares what those you don't know think of you?

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by SharinganKnightagain with the hypocrism, you know the individual can make a difference yet you don't think you can, because the media of all things is stopping you. A black man once went white, look how he ended up, a lot of thanks to the media too. You can change what people think of you, and as gay a quality as it may seem, who cares what those you don't know think of you?

Believe me, I've been hypocritical for a long time despite my beliefs. Is it because I'm a bit of a realist and look at the overall perspective of things? Why in hell can't the people do anything to change the minds of the media? Is the media that dumb to know what goes on in the world? Is the media only focused on what they see and not what all people see? I feel I have the ability to make a difference, yet, despite differences in beliefs thanks to the media, it might not happen.

Signature Image

theres a difference between realism and being plain out negative. You're taking the easy way out and blaming the media for everything, and its true, today the media controls most people's views on life. But just because you can't change that it shouldn't make you want to be another race, just because my next door neighboor thinks Im not very cuban, doesn't make me want to stop being one.

Signature Image

Quote by SharinganKnighttheres a difference between realism and being plain out negative.
You're taking the easy way out and blaming the media for everything,
and its true, today the media controls most people's views on life. But
just because you can't change that it shouldn't make you want to be
another race, just because my next door neighboor thinks Im not very
cuban, doesn't make me want to stop being one.

Listen..there is no such thing as "races". Every living being is the exact same, and there is no need to seperate people into different groups.
The media does effect us, but it doesnt control us. And mel had enough courage to come out and say what he did. I can gurantee that most people on minitokyo would be afraid to go out and tell what they truly felt, so he deserves credit for being brave and saying things. as so does everyone else who isnt afraid to speak of such things. because i know for sure, when people of different cultures speak truthfully, they are neglected or picked on..

cuddos to courageous people^.6

Btw, realism and negativity is basiclly the same. Realism...reality..is negative. Life has turned negative all in general these days, though some people may not see it...this is just my opinion.

Because the flow of the conversation is a bit boring to me, I'll ignore it and answer the first post.

Of course nothing should be expected based on ethnicity. No, colleges shouldn't be accepting someone by their ethnicity to fill a quota. Of course people shouldn't judge another or expect certain actions of preferences based on ethnicity.

But they do and will continue to do so.

Quote by toxictea23

Quote by SharinganKnighttheres a difference between realism and being
plain out negative.
You're taking the easy way out and blaming the media for everything,
and its true, today the media controls most people's views on life. But
just because you can't change that it shouldn't make you want to be
another race, just because my next door neighboor thinks Im not very
cuban, doesn't make me want to stop being one.

Listen..there is no such thing as "races". Every living being is the
exact same, and there is no need to seperate people into different
groups.
The media does effect us, but it doesnt control us. And mel had enough
courage to come out and say what he did. I can gurantee that most
people on minitokyo would be afraid to go out and tell what they truly
felt, so he deserves credit for being brave and saying things. as so
does everyone else who isnt afraid to speak of such things. because i
know for sure, when people of different cultures speak truthfully, they
are neglected or picked on..
cuddos to courageous people^.6

he had courage to say it, but I can't say he's very coraugoes for thinking in such a way. And the human race has many branches, just like religion, if you were to break it down there'd be only one religion, the one who workships a supreme being, yet we have so many different ones, its the same when you speak of humans.

Quote by toxictea23
Btw, realism and negativity is basiclly the same. Realism...reality..is
negative. Life has turned negative all in general these days, though
some people may not see it...this is just my opinion.

this comment, I must point out, is rather ignorant and extremely gothic. Realism is accepting life for what it is. Negativism is not doing something about it even though you can.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by SharinganKnighttheres a difference between realism and being plain out negative. You're taking the easy way out and blaming the media for everything, and its true, today the media controls most people's views on life. But just because you can't change that it shouldn't make you want to be another race, just because my next door neighboor thinks Im not very cuban, doesn't make me want to stop being one.

It was difficult for me to bring all of this out, I'll admit that, seeing as how my life has become more and more stressful thanks to the media and the government. Perhaps certain ethnicities were set out to be judgmental or stereotypical, so those judgments or stereotypes have an impact on what people think or do. When people walk past me, especially people who are not of my race, they tend to get this impression that I probably hurt people, which in reality is something I do not subject myself to doing because I know much better than that.

In the past, I was definitely not a funny person, nor do I think I am funny today. Other people of other races made good jokes, and they laughed; when I tried to make a joke, it was just dead silence, like it was a normal sentence, yet when I do something stupid and seemingly not funny, people laughed. You could say that I was like a class clown, and I think my race has something to do with how I grew up in the social environment known as school.

Signature Image

Quote by SharinganKnighthe had courage to say it, but I can't say he's very coraugoes for
thinking in such a way. And the human race has many branches, just like
religion, if you were to break it down there'd be only one religion,
the one who workships a supreme being, yet we have so many different
ones, its the same when you speak of humans.

I myself, being catholic though, find religion stupid. I find it useless. You dont know what is out there, or who made us..or who influences our lives..so whats the point? To have hope?

The only hope we have is the hope for survival.

And thinking realisticlly does help..even if it is negative. Thinking realisticlly is negative. i mean look..

you go outside and see cars polluting your air supply...negative or positive?
you see people smoking outside...negative or positive?
you see animals being fleed from their homes in parks and trees because they are being cut down greedly by people...negative or positive?
You wake up at six o'clock in the morning, ready to work a large ammount of hours for just minimum wage...negative or positive?
you come home to feed your family with what little money you have and feel guilty about it...negative or positive?
you see people die..brutally die..drown..you see dead bodies..negative or positive?
this is life..it will only get worse..i just hope im not around when the worst comes ^.^'

LadyKitana

LadyKitana

Princess K

ok ok everyone hold on! why is there fights breaking out? there is NO point to all this fighting!
all i can say is that to accept who you are, all of what you are and be proud!
if you are ashamed of who you are your mother should smack you, in the end your not what your bg tells who to be but you are your self some of you should repeat this to yourselves a few times
"I am (insert name)! and im proud, i am nothing and no one else but myself"
so stop the fighting, its making me feel bad that people are doing this over nothing

Signature

to Mel;
see, I think, and forgive my bluntness but Im only being honest, your problem is that you think about what every person who passes by you thinks of you. Now, quite honestly, people who walk past you have no time to stop and analyze you, most people who will ever gather a constructive idea of you will be those you give more than a fraction of a second to do so, and those you will more than likely be able to speak to and Im sure sooner than later they will change their opinions if the necessicity presents itself, and if you do not get to change their minds..because you never again in your life see them again, I assure you 5 minutes later you won't even be a memory to them. But especially people in New York, of all places, have no time nor do they care what you or do not do on your spare time.

Quote:
I myself, being catholic though, find religion stupid. I find it useless. You dont know what is out there, or who made us..or who influences our lives..so whats the point? To have hope?

The only hope we have is the hope for survival.

And thinking realisticlly does help..even if it is negative. Thinking realisticlly is negative. i mean look..

you go outside and see cars polluting your air supply...negative or positive?
you see animals being fleed from their homes in parks and trees because they are being cut down greedly by people...negative or positive?
You wake up at six o'clock in the morning, ready to work a large ammount of hours for just minimum wage...negative or positive?
you come home to feed your family with what little money you have and feel guilty about it...negative or positive?
you see people die..brutally die..drown..you see dead bodies..negative or positive?
this is life..it will only get worse..i just hope im not around when the worst comes ^.^'

thats the difference between being realistic and negatives

"you go outside and see cars polluting your air supply...negative or positive?
this is life..it will only get worse..i just hope im not around when the worst comes ^.^'"

then look at something else! stop worrying about these things, theres MILLIONS of things to look at, yet you choose the negative way by looking at the bad ones, think of other stuff, flowers and butterflies, I don't know! why do you have to be so NEGATIVE? so EMO? so GOTHIC?

Signature Image

Quote by LadyKitanaok ok everyone hold on! why is there fights breaking out? there is NO
point to all this fighting!
all i can say is that to accept who you are, all of what you are
and be proud!
if you are ashamed of who you are your mother should smack you, in the
end your not what your bg tells who to be but you are your self some of
you should repeat this to yourselves a few times
"I am (insert name)! and im proud, i am nothing and no one else but
myself" so stop the fighting, its making me bad that people are doing
this over nothing

Parden me but this is a discussion ne? :D
We are not fighting, this is just power discussion.

LadyKitana

LadyKitana

Princess K

you could of fooled me OX

Signature

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 70 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.