Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Ethnicity | how much it matters | should it matter? - Minitokyo

Ethnicity | how much it matters | should it matter?

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 70 total items

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Ethnicity itself is irrelevant. It is the perception of ethnicity that has a real influence over a person.

I am invincible!

Syngo

Syngo

Laughing in my head 24/7.

It's nice to hav so many different races... but I think the world would be better if it was just one race, one religion. Then again, Hitler felt that way too... so.. uh... I don't know.

It is hard for a college to accept a person just by their ethnicity. Granted they must fill a certain "quota", they are still going to look good candidates.

I don't think ethnicity is has a big role in my life. I am puertorican as well.

should ethinicity effect what you can be or what you can get in life...no....but it does its a fact.

every1 of ethnic bg shud see that it does effect stuff like jokes that are assosiated to you. personally i recon i got the worst rasial steariotype...a terorist coz i look arab...even though im eastern european

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

Nubes

Nubes

Blah blah blah!!!

es muy interesante el tema q planteas... y te voi a decir mi opinion en espanol, para q asi se entienda mejor la idea...

Primero, opino q ni las etnias, ni las razas, ni la religion, ni mucho menos el status social deberian ser cuestiones por las cuales se les tenga q impedir a la gente entrar a una sociedad u otra.

Siempre he pensado que sin importar el color d tu piel o la cultura en la q t hayas criado, no ha d cohibir las inquietudes q posees sobre ti y sobre el mundo.

Yo soy dominicana y mujer... Dicen q ser latino es una gran cruz para poder entrar a otros paises, pero yo considero q ser americano- latino- caribeƱo dominicano, cubano o borinken, no debe ser objeto d verguenza sino mas bien d orgullo.

Hay mucha historia corriendo por nuestra sangre y muchas cosas latentes por vivir.

No me averguenza ser latina, ni ser dominicana mucho menos; pero si se kiere cambiar este mundo donde vivimos se tendra q hacer mucho mas q ponerse aki a hablar d etnias y otras cosas. Es preciso mostrarle al mundo q hay gente lo suficientemente tolerante como para tratarse como hermanos y romper barreras d color, posicion social y cultura.

Cuidate, Caballero Sharingan!

Claudia a.k.a Nubes

In an ideal world ethnicity shouldn't matter. It doesn't really determine personality or talents or anything, just culture.
However, I guess in the real world it does make a difference. People are brought up to different values, customs and also prejudices which makes the whole 'cultural barrier' pop up. What's taboo for one culture isn't for another.
That's were the word tolerance and open-mindedness comes from I guess.

forgotenfeather

forgotenfeather

Dont forget the forgoten feather

Love isnt finding the perfect person its seeing an imperfect person perfectly.
Race doesnt matter its the person inside.
No one needs a map to find that.

Signature Image

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I have more than just a "few cents worth" of opinions for this topic, however, I must bite my tounge; for this generation haven't seen the true "ethnic barrier". Come to think of it, "ethnicity" is just another watered down version of the word "racisim".

To hell with biting my tounge, I'll call it like I see it...........

At least the world I live in, there are three colors in this world; Black (self explanitory), White (again, self explanitory) and Gray (consisting of Hispanics or Latin decent or Asian and of Asian decent). These groups are the sub categories to a much bigger group, Society, which is again divided into three groups; rich, mid class and poor.

If you are Middle Eastern, you are just screwed for the moment......you are just severely stereotyped as terrorist based on Religion alone.

If you are Gray or Black and have talent, doesn't matter what it is, you are able to get rich, mingle with other colors, such as Whites, and other Grays that have talent, pretty much in the lime light. However if you are Gray or Black and poor, you can only go so far, if not far at all. And those are the ones that are subjected to scrunity and ridicule.

Now here is where it gets tricky............

Those in the Gray area (for those who were wondering) can either do two things; stick to their heritage and struggle to the top or "fake the funk" and choose a side. 90% of the time those people side with the Whites. They know that they have far better opportunities that way.

Hence why Halle Berry, David Justice, and Mariah Carrey (and Micheal Jackson) will NEVER associate themselves with one "ethnicity".

The whole thing is truly screwed up......and it goes across all barriers, including religion. If a White Cathloic family decides to fellowship with a Black Cathloic church, the tension gets so thick that a cell phone call can blow up the place! Never seen a Tawianese family who was Southern Baptist.....have you? Even is school along the Southern States, its taboo, as someone put it eloquently, for a guy or gal from different races date each other. If they do, there will be a rift in either families communication that can span for decades.

I can go on for days with this, but all I wanted to say is that the ethnic (racial) divide still exist; and when the day comes when two people from different cultures can hang out without the "Black guy, White guy" jokes, or watching what one say to another, there won't be topics like this sprouting up at least once a month. XP

Maybe that is when I'll crawl out of my hole.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

angelicfairie

angelicfairie

There Is Still Hope

well, i have been looked at by white skinned cops as if they wanted to do what the cops back then must have done to Hispanics/Latinos and i would just walk as fast as i could. other Hispanics/Latino men (old men) usually come up to me and twice into my personal space to tell me that i'm beautiful and God bless you and then ask me for my hand in marriage. i really want to run away when that happens. the second time that happened to me it was yesterday and i told him as nicely as i could to please leave me alone (i said it in spanish PR language though).
i think that it sucks to have your background as a basis for where you'll end up and who you'd marry. that's why most of the white skinned men in manhattan don't really go out with Puertorican females because they've been taught or shown in tv how perverse we are and how easy we are. with the hispanic/latino men they are shown to be sexy or really nasty with anyone.
it aparently happens not only to cubans, mexicans, & puerto ricans. it also happens to asians, africans, & europeans.
i think that is why the people of manhattan don't even notice how they really influence the other people in the world to become more like them. in turn we would be able to date those men in manhattan? for that i'd rather date someone who just see's me for me and not my background. i mean who would want someone thinking sooooo dag nabin seriously about such a thing. it's just something that has been taught to us all for many generations.
to me it's high time for people who do this to take their eyes off what is of peoples ancestoral history and look at the now. meaning our own lives from when we were born 'til where we are.

Signature Image

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

I find it amusing that ethnicity is even considered a factor in how well you can learn or how well you can work. Its one of the reasons I don't believe in quotas or diversity requirements. I say hire the people that can do the job and teach the people that want to learn. With actually very few exceptions, if you don't want to learn (to better yourself) or you don't want to work (just want handouts), you have only you, yourself, and your ego to blame for where you end up.
The real problem is probably the almost instictive way people use stereotyping. If you assume something about someone abilities based merely on their ethnicity you are doing them and yourself a disservice. Why? 1. You don;t know said individual so how can you say they can or can't do this or that and 2) How do you know how good/bad they are at something unless they are given the chance to prove their abilities.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Quote by angelicfairiewell, i have been looked at by white skinned cops as if they wanted to do what the cops back then must have done to Hispanics/Latinos and i would just walk as fast as i could. other Hispanics/Latino men (old men) usually come up to me and twice into my personal space to tell me that i'm beautiful and God bless you and then ask me for my hand in marriage. i really want to run away when that happens. the second time that happened to me it was yesterday and i told him as nicely as i could to please leave me alone (i said it in spanish PR language though).
i think that it sucks to have your background as a basis for where you'll end up and who you'd marry. that's why most of the white skinned men in manhattan don't really go out with Puertorican females because they've been taught or shown in tv how perverse we are and how easy we are. with the hispanic/latino men they are shown to be sexy or really nasty with anyone.
it aparently happens not only to cubans, mexicans, & puerto ricans. it also happens to asians, africans, & europeans.
i think that is why the people of manhattan don't even notice how they really influence the other people in the world to become more like them. in turn we would be able to date those men in manhattan? for that i'd rather date someone who just see's me for me and not my background. i mean who would want someone thinking sooooo dag nabin seriously about such a thing. it's just something that has been taught to us all for many generations.
to me it's high time for people who do this to take their eyes off what is of peoples ancestoral history and look at the now. meaning our own lives from when we were born 'til where we are.

How interesting...... o_0

I happen to think that Hispanic women are sexy, loyal, and have a strong sense of pride about themselves, hence why you don't cheat on them!. ^_^'

I also think that they will rather marry someone either their own race or White. -_-

You are right though...I think the media has some responsibility in that. But in the long run, I rather hang with someone who is pretty much into some of the things I do. Or at least some of the things....... OX

Now let me flip this........

Again, hating to be the Devils Advocate, people DO date others outside their race, but EVENTUALLY marry one of the same race. Why? I don't know.......for the experience, perhaps? But from what I seen, and experienced, it all comes down to this:

1. Money
2. Physical appearance
3. Race

and last.......

4. Personality!

Money is the catalyst of it all. It doesn't matter if the person is 350lbs and 5ft. tall, ugly and the most inconsiderate person you have ever met.......if they is rich, you will turn a blind eye to the rest, because with money is financial security, a Infinity G35 in your 5-car garage in the Hamptons, and a English butler named Chester Hemingway at you beck and call!

If the person isn't rich, then no matter who they are, they gotta have the physical appearance good enough for you to date! As you can see, I didn't say marry......... simply because once you see a pretty face, there is another. And some people would like to sample all "flavors" of good looking people, which brings me to.........

Race! Again here where it gets tricky........This can involve families, past experience (especially the bad ones) with other people you've dated, and your peers choices of race you will wind up dating. And if you say "your peers choices doesn't make your decision" then take a look at where you guys hang out the most! For me, dating in Germany is severely one sided.......there aren't that many choices of women to choose from. You will rarely see a Black person from Germany to date....they may be another soldiers husband/wife! The other races (Hispanics, Asians, and PRs) are just as scarce here - it's like 90% White here........'Nuff said.

Personality.......the bottom of the barrel........This comes into play when you exhausted everything you have had in your soul and you come up with a big 'ole goose egg ( a zero for those who don't know) when trying to find Mr./Mrs. Right. This can be a culmination of events: from friends and families, to race, and for the strong willed, from rich (or mediocre) slobs who is as courteous as a rooster in a hen house! You want someone to see you for who you are, kind hearted, generous, and polite. However, they may not have the physical qualities, or the stability you will want in your life. And you will accept that fate.

As for me....... I fall somewhere in the bottom of the barrel. I have the personality, and enough loot, but I don't think I am attractive enough and I am Black.......to some, that is like taking a step backwards these days.

Maybe that is why I quit dating........for a while. ;)

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Arkano18

Far, Far Away

I think it's important. Because everyone of us should be proud of our ethnicity.

I can't believe ist's not yoghurt!

Here goes the stereotypes agian...
I think that individual ability is much better than ethnicity when it comes to judging people, however, I think ethicity can help decide about a person. Ethnicity is kind of like genetics or hertitage. Would you trust guy who came frome a family of thiefs? Ethnicity is like that. But yeah, I think ethnicity is not as important as other things.

nejika

nejika

sry not active as i use to be

Huh ethnicity? Well, it's doesn't affect me much...Hey, it's not fair if judging ppls by their ethnicity ~_~
heh, ethnicity+religion is that bothering U much?

Signature
"artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
------->>Currently Inactive

Well, I'm a middle eastern, and people sometimes judge you even without knowing you, and I hate that. And I hate it when people come near you, or when they want to be your friend cause you have money or something you have, I really hate this behave.

UchihaTaijiya

UchihaTaijiya

Touched.By.Dusk

Quote: thats the difference between being realistic and negatives

"you go outside and see cars polluting your air supply...negative or positive?
you see people smoking outside...negative or positive?
you see animals being fleed from their homes in parks and trees because they are being cut down greedly by people...negative or positive?
You wake up at six o'clock in the morning, ready to work a large ammount of hours for just minimum wage...negative or positive?
you come home to feed your family with what little money you have and feel guilty about it...negative or positive?
you see people die..brutally die..drown..you see dead bodies..negative or positive?
this is life..it will only get worse..i just hope im not around when the worst comes ^.^'"

then look at something else! stop worrying about these things, theres MILLIONS of things to look at, yet you choose the negative way by looking at the bad ones, think of other stuff, flowers and butterflies, I don't know! why do you have to be so NEGATIVE? so EMO? so GOTHIC?

You're stereotyping this person. Please stop, it's the same as someone stereotyping you for your Ethnic background.

I've only read page one and that's all I'm reading, because the thread maker just slapped themself in the face. ><

Signature Image

it shouldnt matter , well thats what i think >.<

To me it doesn't matter so much actually, i wish it won't matter to most people in the world too, that way the world would be more peaceful...

Arkano18

Far, Far Away

I think it should matter in some things. Example: If I am postulating (?) to be teacher of a foreign culture, let's say spanish language, the most accurated person to do that job is somebody who has raised in a spanish languaged culture. I thnk is the best.

Right now I'm studying Portuguese. And my teachers are Brazilian and Portuguese. So, they have the best performance in their own language.

In that kind of things, I think Ethnicity is very important.

I can't believe ist's not yoghurt!

I have various ethnicity problems. I'm half white and black. I look so much like a black person that all the black people look down on me alot. my friends who are all white accept me for who I am. I can say I act and have the body of a white girl yet I look like a black girl. It hurts to be looked down on. so I can answer your question by sayin' ethicity matters alot around the world. but it shouldn't matter at all. colleges should accept students for personal achievements not race. that's not fair to me. You hafta work to earn you keep nowadays. that's the way it should be.

Music is in your eyes.
Music is in your soul.
Music is surrounding, everywhere you see.
Music is a reflection of who we wish to be.

FutatsuNoNegai

FutatsuNoNegai

Our Utmost For the Highest..

Well personally,I live in a multi-cultural community,I'm from Malaysia(the land right above Singapore) and I'm a chinese...I don't feel any ethnic problems as everyone co-exist with each other for a very long time..Maybe there are one or two in my country that are racism,but most of us doesn't care if you black or white or where you're from,you're a human and thats it.If racism occurs in colleges or universities,you'll see it closed soon..

It doesn't hurt to have company by your side.

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 70 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.