Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 X-Men: Evolution, anime? - Minitokyo

X-Men: Evolution, anime?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

X-Men: Evolution (is there a way to abbreviate that?) is an anime. This is because it's made by Madhouse. Even though it does not look like anime and we don't think of it as one, it still is because of this fact.

This should be fun ^_^'' !

masterjesse89

masterjesse89

Master of ALL Things Spiffy

tell NotT.... What is madhouse? I dont think X-men:E is an anime... Not sure why...

Once I desire something... I cannot undesire it.
I cannot even try to resist. I will desire it until I have it.
But there is no end
No matter how much I take. I still want.

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Madhouse is an anime studio. They made X-TV and Cardcaptors off the top of my head.

Koboshi

Koboshi

Jagan Freak

It`s not anime!!...I have like every episode in tape...and it is not anime..and well..it doesn`t mean that the same studio did it!!

Signature

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

is madhouse based in japan. if not it is not anime. anime is japan animation. if it is not based in japan, then it is not anime.

Signature

mahkohime

mahkohime

Not dead yet

Was it made in Japan?
Was it originally in Japanese?
Does it have Japanese References?
Is the company based in Japan?

If the answer to the first 2 is yes, then it is 100% anime by definition. If you could answer these questions it would help out a lot...please? Thanks. If you can't, I'd understand.

Signature
"Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain" -Wheel of Time

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

Quote by smilebitis madhouse based in japan. if not it is not anime. anime is japan animation. if it is not based in japan, then it is not anime.

you know, there are also animes and mangas that are made in america. it doesn't necessarily need to be japanese; its the work itself that's important.

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Quote by mahkohimeWas it made in Japan?Was it originally in Japanese?
Does it have Japanese References?Is the company based in Japan?
If the answer to the first 2 is yes, then it is 100% anime by definition. If you could answer these questions it would help out a lot...please? Thanks. If you can't, I'd understand.

Made in Japan: Yes

Originally in Japanese: No
(But in response to this, neither was the Animatrix, nor was Blood: the Last Vampire, and
maybe even Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.)

Japanese References and Japanese Based: Yes

Well I cant find X-Men: Evolution at ANN or Anime Info so I guess they dont consider it anime either.

Signature Image

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Quote by NotTWell I cant find X-Men: Evolution at ANN or Anime Info so I guess they dont consider it anime either.

True, but it doesn't have Starship Troopers either, which John from AnimeNation does consider an anime.

Also, X-Men: Evolution is mentioned in Newtype USA, August 2003 issue (volume 2, number 3) in an article about Madhouse.

EchoChan

EchoChan

The All Purpose Animal

I was under the impression that XME was made by Phil Roman Studios (pehaps they just distributed it? I can't remember... :sweat: ).

I'll probably be strung up for this by the purists, but I generally classify XME as an early "American pseudo-anime," that is, an animation which was done by American companies for an American audience yet borrows some stylistic elements from anime. More recent examples of this would be Teen Titans, Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Avatar, and W.I.T.C.H, and European equivalents might be Code Lyoko or Winx Club.

Admitedly, some of the actual animation work was done overseas (Korea, I believe, but I could be wrong again; it may well have been Japan), but it was made primarily for an American audience, so in that respect it is not really anime. On the other hand, the show did seem (to me at least) to be influenced by anime in a few ways. One example is in the charater designs, which look like an east-west fusion of sorts. Another is the continuing storyline which focuses both on action and emotion, not something seen very often in American TV animation until recently. However, this was also true in the preceeding X-Men animation from the early 90's, and having never read any of the classic comics, I can only guess that this mix of action and emotion is a long-time part of the franchise.

One silly thing that made it feel like an anime to me was the voice work done for the show by the Ocean Group, which has also done work for Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, at least two Gundam series, and other shows. Now, who does the voice work dosen't make a show an anime or not, but still... (Yeah, I said it was a silly reason. :sweat: )

Well, there's my two cents on the matter. I hope I didn't bore anyone... ^_^'

Always remember that everyone is the hero of their own story.

geneticgear

geneticgear

God of Wind

I don't think it's anime...

Signature

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Quote by EchoChanI was under the impression that XME was made by Phil Roman Studios (pehaps they just distributed it? I can't remember... :sweat: ).
I'll probably be strung up for this by the purists, but I generally classify XME as an early "American pseudo-anime," that is, an animation which was done by American companies for an American audience yet borrows some stylistic elements from anime. More recent examples of this would be Teen Titans, Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Avatar, and w.i.t.c.h, and European equivalents might be Code Lyoko or Winx Club.
Admitedly, some of the actual animation work was done overseas (Korea, I believe, but I could be wrong again; it may well have been Japan), but it was made primarily for an American audience, so in that respect it is not really anime. On the other hand, the show did seem (to me at least) to be influenced by anime in a few ways. One example is in the charater designs, which look like an east-west fusion of sorts. Another is the continuing storyline which focuses both on action and emotion, not something seen very often in American TV animation until recently. However, this was also true in the preceeding X-Men animation from the early 90's, and having never read any of the classic comics, I can only guess that this mix of action and emotion is a long-time part of the franchise.
One silly thing that made it feel like an anime to me was the voice work done for the show by the Ocean Group, which has also done work for Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, at least two Gundam series, and other shows. Now, who does the voice work dosen't make a show an anime or not, but still... (Yeah, I said it was a silly reason. :sweat: )
Well, there's my two cents on the matter. I hope I didn't bore anyone... ^_^'

I believe it's the other way around, it's anime, but it was designed to look like a normal cartoon, if a little, tiny bit more mature. If they wanted a psuedo-anime, they would've taken the avenue of Teen Titans or the like, where the visual style is clearly different from normal cartoons. In addition, look at the show structure. It was 2 seasons, very plot based and self contained, something that the anime-emulators did not pick up but is a part of real anime.

Oh and you're boring no one, or at least not boring me. I find this really interesting.

EchoChan

EchoChan

The All Purpose Animal

Quote by ShrinkNerv4EvaOh and you're boring no one, or at least not boring me. I find this really interesting.

Why, thank you! :) I sometimes type too much on forums, so I worry that I'm overdoing it. ^_^'
Two seasons? I thought it was four... It's been so blasted long since I've seen it, and at any rate I never got to see all of it! T_T Oh, well...

Always remember that everyone is the hero of their own story.

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

Quote by undeadsymphony

Quote by smilebitis madhouse based in japan. if not it is not anime. anime is japan animation. if it is not based in japan, then it is not anime.

you know, there are also animes and mangas that are made in america. it doesn't necessarily need to be japanese; its the work itself that's important.

once again. anime is a word used to describe japanese animation, and manga a japanese grahpic novel/comic.

Signature

I think you should put up a poll.

Signature Image

Masaru-San

Masaru-San

Mayor of Hardcoretown.

I wouldn't consider it an anime, even though madhouse made it. madhouse has made quite a fewthings, or at least has been involved with them.

Take a look toward the sky, Halvdane. We shall fill the air with spears to turn black this christian sun.

Redimer

Redimer

Edge Master of the Platinum

I think X-Men Evolution is a nice program, but I don`t think there is an anime because is based in a american comic, perhaps, if this is an anime I think that the animation and the graphics could be better

There are several things that cause monsters.
The first is the glory of God

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Quote by NotTI think you should put up a poll.

I don't know how to make a poll :(

Quote by RedimerI think X-Men Evolution is a nice program, but I don`t think there is an anime because is based in a american comic, perhaps, if this is an anime I think that the animation and the graphics could be better

But then, how do you explain the Animatrix, based off of an American idea, or Starship Troopers, which I think was based off of an obscure American comic?

crypthis

confusing reality

it's very confusing... x_x

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Quote by crypthisit's very confusing... x_x

What's so confusing?

dstorres

dstorres

Gunslinger75

It is anime styled but not considered anime by many of the people in this forum. Like some one else said, all anime is not from japan. Korea has their own anime (see Skyblue: http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/32018/ ) as an example.

megaman917

megaman917

The Gentleman

I'm with anyone who said no, which happens to be just about everyone else who posted here except ShrinkNerv4Eva, for reasons already stated.

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying!" - R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero (1967 - 2005)

It would be great if they did The Age of Apocalypse as an anime. I mean because the series is shorter than most X-Men stories. They can do a special and keep the quality super high and detail extra special. I think the art for AOA is the best. BTW, I'm talking about the AOA back around 1995.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.