Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 news paper of the future - Minitokyo

news paper of the future

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Hello all, been awhile since i have been able to get on here couldnt connect to the server. anyways. i am in degree course srudying media design (publishing) and have not long been given the subject 'news paper of the future' i am thinking of designing a hand held device of some sort and it would be great if yous could answer the following questions for me to aid me in my research. Thankyou

1) What would you like to see change or think that should be changed in anewspaper of the future? ( e.g. size style etc)

2) What would you yourself expect from a handheld electronic newspaper?

3) Would you buy it? and how much would you pay for it? (it would be either a one off payment of e.g £200 or a subscription of say £20 a month just like a mobile phone)

4) Would you buy into a subscription to different newspapers and news programs or would you prefere to just get to see the headlines and then buy the paper or news program for that percific story?

5) anything else you like to add?

thankyou again to all who answer

Signature Image

1. Yes, I think futuristic newspaper should be changed. Today's newspaper are just
too bulky, and we're killing too much trees!
Futuristic newpapers should be made with just a single sheet, probably at 8.5" X 11" (the size of a looseleaf paper) or something smaller , well that is up to you to decide. That sheet can look something like this.

Fujistu's Bendable Electronic Paper-World's First! ;) And it's in color!
http://www.overclockersclub.com/link/?http://www.fujitsu.com/img/PR/2005/20050713-01.jpg

Article

2)I would like to see being small, rugged, very think, scratch proof, and not breakable. Also it has to last long. Probably about 2-3 years, before the consumer needs to buy a new one.

3)These things are pretty cheap to produce, if you have the right kind of technology.
I will pay for it if, the e-ink paper does not cost too much.
The subscription sounds better, than the one large payment.

4)No I look at the headlines first before I buy the paper, which is why
these futuristic newspaper needs to be able to connect online, that will constantly stream
updated news or info using wireless technology.

5) Hmm... not really though, just hope your project can be successful.
As for the Fujistu idea, if you are gooing to do something similar, then
I hope you will not get into any copyright issues.

Signature

thankyou for your reply tiki223. read up on that fujitsu and e-ink paper a few days ago was very intresting with none-2 low power comsumpiton enviromentaly friendly, resistant and bendable like normal paper. Agin would like to thankyou for the reply your response will help me develope my idea further :D

Signature Image

No problem!
Peace
and Good Luck!

Signature

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

I dont know. I dont really read newspapers, the articles are often misleading and journalists leave out alot of details. Apart from that, the paper is also boring, there are alot of things made into articles that I couldnt care less about. Take the sports section for example, at least 10 pages, and none of it interests me.

My electronic news source already exsists, it's the internet. Sites like Slashdot and Wikinews are where I read the latest news, not that read it alot on the internet either.

i have been thinking of that but what if it was percific to your preferences? so for example: your not keen on the sports page so you wouldnt recive any sports news or updates.

having the ability to customize the colour scheme and font colour and size to make it look less boring and start to be comemore appealing??

Signature Image

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

Ah yes, I didnt think about that all too much.

The more I think about an electronic newspaper device, the more it makes sense that it will just be a slim client/dumb terminal used to display some special version of a news website. The main reason people would prefer it over traditional internet news is that it seems just like an actual paper newspaper, which would allow them to do things they couldnt do on a computer like filp through pages, take out sections and take it where ever they please. But then again, they also cant to things like tear/cut parts out and put it on the wall, circle parts of the classifieds with a marker or use the newspaper for other things after used. Paper is also cheap, alot of electronic devices are not.

And now the question has come to mind, will an electronic newspaper-like device even become popular? "Electronic paper" isn't as versitile as real paper, and many people just dont want the advatages provided by an electronic device. Your ordinary Joe couldn't care less what the colours were and what font is used.

I could go on for a while, but I'm hungrey and there is other stuff I need to do.

fair enough but more than likely electronic paper will take over as it is as flexable as normal paper has low to zero power consumption and would be enviromently friendly reducing the trees cut down a year by loads. I understand your point about taking abit of the paper or marking stuff on it so the electronic paper would also have to become touch screen addabtive or the electronic device. You hav giving me more things to concider so thankyou for your time and feed back

Signature Image

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

Quote by twistedfreakfair enough but more than likely electronic paper will take over as it is as flexable as normal paper has low to zero power consumption and would be enviromently friendly reducing the trees cut down a year by loads.

I'd say you are right about that, although it wont happen overnight. Just like other technology, it will take many years for people to accept an electronic newspaper a part of daily life.

Quote: You hav giving me more things to concider so thankyou for your time and feed back

no problem. thank you for creating a thread that is much more interesting to think about then the average MT thread. ^^

Oh, just another thing. I've been thinking about what kind of features this device would have, and how you would use it. An idea that came to mind is to create such a device to only have a small number of pages (say 15 or so). A user could read through the news on 2 of these, copy articles and scribble notes onto a "clipboard" like page, use another page forother misc stuff like as a calculator or showing a list of related articles, and any other pages could be set to be fixed onto other pages you have marked as being interested in, which you can check back on as you are reading other parts of the news. Depending on how much you do with your electronic newspaper, you could buy models with more or less pages. I hope that made sense. ;-)

lol yeah it made sense and thankyou again for your feedback

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.