Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime causing isolation? - Minitokyo

Anime causing isolation?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 45 total items

Misato-Kun

Misato-Kun

Art is a bang!!

There are a number of us that have a group of friends and seem to be the only one in the group that enjoys manga/anime. And when we are not with our friends we are at home with our families and as well, most likely being the only one that has an interest in anime. Now I know there are a lot of people who are in clubs or enjoy/share anime with a lot of their friends but their are also others such as me that cannot even bring up a topic such as anime with their friends or even seem wierd to their family. Can our interest in anime cause us to feel isolated? I may feel isolated between my friends and family but it does not concern me because it does not affect my relationship between them and they respect my interests. Has anyone felt or thought of the same situation and in any way have some sort of affect on you? Or agree/disagree that our interest in anime--that can also affect our behavior--can lead to isolation at some point between our friends and family?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
-Leonardo da Vinci

yuki456

yuki456

"Idiots die hard..." Kouga

True dat my friend, i thought of that many of times!!!!

Signature
Special thanks to May for such a beautyfull signature
and for being so kind an patient w/ me!!!
Arigato!!!! ^___~

i had that problem ,but lucky for me :P ,my friends got addicted when i bring/draw anime characters on everything :P.

Kassatsu

Lucky's Gal

Woo, no what you mean. I move onto high school without any of my friends, and it's like, NO ONE knows WHAT anime/manga is!!! T_T

-Kass

:o Liek. W. teh. F.
Signature
(\_/)
(-_- )
(><)
This is not Bunny. This is Commander Bunny.
He's second in command of the Evil Bunnies.
He WILL dominate this world.

<('.'<) ^( '.' )^ (>'.')>
Kirby can out dance anyone. So, admit your defeat.

~Day-Dreamerz~
~Love-to-Stars~

undeadsymphony

undeadsymphony

anti-human

yeah, i know what you mean. i don't have it as bad, though. i have a few friends who are also into anime.
but one time i was doing a report about my life an interests; i brought a gundam model as a visual prop... when it came time for questions, one girl asked "what's a gundam?".
i was crushed. (well, sort of ^_^' )

Signature Image
music of the spiritually dead; the eternally restless.

*raises hand* i have some friends like that. but its jap cartoon soap operas for us foreigners =P

hmmm....but anime and mangas are blowing up big in the US now so mroe and more people are getting into it ^_^ so we dont really feel SO alone =D

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

HAHA YES! Especially if you watch it at 3 in the morning with no lights on... And after your parents forbids you from downloading ever again but you still continue to anyway.. And you spend every waking moment either working on anime graphics, watching anime, or thinking of anime while you're supposed to be doing soemthing else... Yes.. this is why I have no life, no real friends, happen to be anti-social.. and so on.. but that's just me....

I have friends that watch anime, but I take it to the extreme.. I blame my poor school-work on anime... Its my only reason to live too.. haha....My anti-drug... :pacman:

If you word it correctly when talking around friends/family, it won't be a problem talking about it. In fact, just because of me, I was able to get many into anime. My reason was simply because it is different than what you are normally doing, and it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. Talk about it, you will find people who will talk to you about it as well. You will also find out who doesn't have an interest in anime, but I really don't know what you worry about. I mean people talk about stuff everyday... why can't you?

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Quote by HopelessDreamer1124*raises hand* i have some friends like that. but its jap cartoon soap operas for us foreigners =P
hmmm....but anime and mangas are blowing up big in the US now so mroe and more people are getting into it ^_^ so we dont really feel SO alone =D

I was thinking the same thing, I truly wonder how much Japan is really influencing us as a country, I mean they make most of our electronics, games and a lot of whats on our tv now. I mean look at some of our better horror flicks of late, all originally japanese flicks redone for an american audience not losing much in the story. Look how mainstream anime is becoming now a days too(maybe not the great stuff), people dont even know it's anime let alone it's from japan most just see it as cartoons, yet each has it's own style and humor and visuals all giving subtle influences. I think another cool thing is look how much we influence japan also, I mean hell their rock bands rock just as much as ours and their bubble gum pop music is just as bubble gum pop musicy as our is. I just think there is a great mesh between our countries and it only gets cooler as time goes on.

oh yeah I didn't even mention the other part like manga, look how big the manga section at barnes and nobles is or borders or waldenbook or even suncoast, huge sections devoted to it, I remember having to scour those stores to find stuff to read or watch. Best Buy has a huge section too, they are I find often the cheapest place to buy anime nowadays great prices specially new releases. Ok, I'm done, I just thought I'd share.

SierriusBlack

SierriusBlack

Atheistic Debater

I don't know anyone in real life that likes anime. That's why I use the internet. :X I have real-life friends to talk about other things, and on-line friends to talk about anime.

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-Albert Einstein

Misato-Kun

Misato-Kun

Art is a bang!!

I guess it seems to be a problem to some and not to others, im going to agree with J278 but im not really worried about it I can talk about it like everything else, I just want to see how everyone else sees it.

-Leonardo da Vinci

I had the same problem, I moved to a new school a few years back and there I met a few people who liked anime...a few weeks later we started an Anime Club, I'm VP and there are already 30+ members after about 2 meetings

ThaEagle

ThaEagle

Mahoromatic for the people

I recently started university and I have only found one that shares my interest in manga/anime, this is the first time I found some one with interest in anime/manga going in the same class.

Quote by AnimeXpert6I had the same problem, I moved to a new school a few years back and there I met a few people who liked anime...a few weeks later we started an Anime Club, I'm VP and there are already 30+ members after about 2 meetings

I was thinking of doing the same but I haven't found anyone interested in funding such a club, too bad..

Signature

cinnamonsin

cinnamonsin

spicy-sweet dream

I felt that way up until awhile ago. When I discovered that my friends read manga, too, and just didn't mention it because they didn't know I did! Oh, the irony. Now I've become some of my friend's main source of borrowable manga.

darkyuki

darkyuki

*excuse me while i kiss the sky*

heck yes i know what you mean. i must be like the only one at my school who likes anime. i don't really have any friends who like it, and when i mention it they have no idea what i'm talking about, but they know that i have an interest in it and they respect that.

Nedel

Nedel

The armor, the rose, the one

It can cause isolation. I like anime/manga, and so does most of my friends. The things is, if you show to much interest in it, ppl will think your an anime freak. Any yu-gi-oh player who's been caught dueling by someone they don't know must've been told "hey, stop playing pokemon!" or something like that. Not everyone accepts anime/manga, just like other ppl don't accept some kind of music or sport.

(\ /) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature
(O.o) to help him on his way to world domination.
(> <)

Misato-Kun

Misato-Kun

Art is a bang!!

Yes im going to agree with both Darkyuki and Nedel, some people may not accept our interests but they should respect it.

-Leonardo da Vinci

i know what you mean with that, thou it wasn't so bad at first for me cuz my friends got me into anime so it was pretty good thou our little group or whatever you would call it did seem isolated from most people. But ya know who cares others can think what they want if they don't like it they can deal it's your choice not theirs. I used to care what people would think about me for likeing it but i realized it doesn't really matter and they can think what they want. i agree whether they like it or not they should respect what you like

Quote by darkyukiheck yes i know what you mean. i must be like the only one at my school
who likes anime. i don't really have any friends who like it, and when
i mention it they have no idea what i'm talking about, but they know
that i have an interest in it and they respect that.

I have the same problem too..Alot of ppl from my school dun seem 2 have the interest in
anime or manga....lolz :hmpf:
So whenever i try talking to them about it....They were all puzzled... XP

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
Signature

cinnamonsin

cinnamonsin

spicy-sweet dream

I guess it's easier to find people here who like anime in comparision to the rest of the US.

Alot of the public schools around here are predominantly Asian, and when you go to the bookstore, there's always a crowd of high school kids hangning out and reading by the manga section.

hmmm, actually none of my friends like anime/manga either lol, but never do i feel isolated, mostly coz we share others interest slol. But at home I've a crazy otaku as a bro so it's easier lol. well i think it's kinda him who introduced me my very first manga : rurouni kenshin ^^
anyway, i can understand that if you're the only one, you may be ashame of your interest in manga since many people hav those ridiculous stereotypes bout manga such as hentei thingy and all -_-', but just don't mind them ^^-...

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

YOU GUYS ARE JUST INTROVERTED BY YOUR NATURE OF THINKING THAT PEOPLE THINK LIKING ANIME IS WRONG....

c'mon....i like hentai a lot and even some girls share their fantasies with me, i pronounced my liking for this so openly that people would have feared me. but still, look at all the attention i get.!

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

Quote by DevildudeYOU GUYS ARE JUST INTROVERTED BY YOUR NATURE OF THINKING THAT PEOPLE THINK LIKING ANIME IS WRONG....

c'mon....i like hentai a lot and even some girls share their fantasies with me, i pronounced my liking for this so openly that people would have feared me. but still, look at all the attention i get.!

Your theone!

Urd-89

Urd-89

FMA fan

I agree that having a different interest, like anime/manga, can lead to isolation. I've friends who just walk away when I start talking about anime...

"There are always things like that. Things more important than yourself, than your dreams."
Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 45 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.