Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Bioengineering - Minitokyo

Bioengineering

page 1 of 1 3 total items

AtmaCashino

AtmaCashino

The Destroyer of Everything

There is a lot of contraversy in the world concerning cloning and stem-cell research, such as Christians thinking that cloning is intruding with God's will or somesuch (because it is said that God is the only one that can implement souls into "shells," which are the bodies of people and things).

For those that don't know (I would recommend watching/reading some news for better detail, but this is faster)

Cloning is creating an near-identical copy of an already existing version through artificial conception (if you don't know what that is, you're obviously too young or too stupid to really care about this topic). This is still extremely unrelyable right now, since only one out of several (often hundreds) test attempts actually come out complete. Most of the time, the experiment is "incomplete" (like missing organs, greatly deformed, stuff like that).

Stem-cells are like a variable cell that can grow into several different other cells that can be determined through an extensive flow-chart. These cells are gained from embryos and extremely underdeveloped babies still in the womb. Thus, in this sense, they are "killing" the children to be.

What are some thoughts on this?

Signature

Prepare for total annihilation!

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

I'm a bit split on cloning. Part of me can see the medical possibilities in cloning such as perfectly matched organ transplants. But another part of me is worried about the ethical problems that might and most likely will arise. What's to stop people from using cloning for personal gain etc. If there's one thing I know about people it's that for every ground-breaking invention there's always a way that the military or other "parties" will use it to their advantage usually to cause harm to others. Cloning and genetic engineering are mankind's final steps towards becoming God. Frankly I can see way too many things going wrong if that happens.

Stem Cell research is a subject i'm a little more decided on. As far as I am aware, the stem cells are recovered from fetuses that have been aborted. Personally I'm all for abortion, so I don't see anything wrong with using an aborted fetuses cells for research.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

Rurisu

Rurisu

Lieutenant Commander

People simply see it as being sacrillage for tampering with a dead body; and I'm sure one of their main concerns is that the baby was aborted in the first place (which I don't mind, it's their choice, not mine). Because of its ties with abortion, some people just refuse to acknowledge any benefits that stem-cell research may be able to deliver.

As for cloning, they're far from perfecting it. And for anyone who's seen the new movie 'The Island' (or read the book, if it exists), one can see how corporations could use cloning for organ harvasting, but on a gigantic scale, making clones of people who have the money to purchase their 'insurance policy' and growing the clone to be later harvested. But that's an extreme, not very probable.

To summarize my thoughts on the matter, stem-cell research good, cloning fine (within reason), abortion fine. As for attaining the status of a 'god', no amount of cloning technology will grant anyone that status. Lest they somehow are able to control the very cosmos as well :P.

Signature
"Wherever you go, we're all connected."
- Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain.

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.