Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How fast do you drive? Is the limit reasonable? - Minitokyo

How fast do you drive? Is the limit reasonable?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

I got my learner's liscen quite some time ago and is working toward my novice right now. However, as I am driving, I found a very interesting situation. In BC Canada, the speed limit within city boundary is 50 km per hour unless said otherwise. But Everyone always go way above the limit. I would say the average speed on the road would probably be 60+. I know I drove pretty fast and, with my dad's car, it is so easy to speed. On average I drove probably about 65km/hour.

Side story: I was driving on an intercity highway picking my sister up from her dance class. The speed limit is supposely 80km/hour. but then again who follow the rule. So I drove about 100. As I am driving I see the distance between me and the car in front is getting larger. I pressed on the gas a bit harder to keep up with the speed. It is still getting farer away. It is weird, since I was already going 120. I decided to screw this and just pressed the the gas until I am at the same speed as him. A few seconds later, I glanced at my speed. It shows that I am going at 150. A bit later, I switch to the outer lane and get off at the exit.

Well, enough of my yapping. How fast do you guys drive? and Do you think the speed limit is reasonable? Since everyone is speeding, shouldn't they change the rule to fit the public's need?

Anyway, hope you guys will have fun with this thread^^

Signature

Koenken

Koenken

Crazy Tiger

I drive the speed limit or five over, but usually the speed limit now.
It is usually 55mph.
I think it is reasonsble.
I don't see the point of driving faster.

"You should never get between people and their pudding!" - Milly Tompson

pamelaho

pamelaho

*iyellowbus...

Ooh... I live in Canada too!! Yea, 50 km/hr is reasonable, and sometimes, it's 60 in certain places.

i got my Learner's and still learning. Currently, I'm driving at 30 km per hour. Wait, no. I'm driving under 30 km per hour XD

Signature

Latest Wallpaper: Hidamari no Tami - Vector

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

ya, driving too fast decreases fuel efficiency... drive what you believe is right, cops will tell you if you are going to fast

-repeat-

Angel-Ripper

Angel-Ripper

The laughing man

warning, noob with bad english @ work :-)

naturally i drive the speedlimit, but sometimes five or ten kmh over, especially in towns or villages there is the speedlimit only 50kmh/~32mph. by the way, i am from germany, so we have no probs with speedlimit on the autobahn/freeway :-)

WARNING, noob with bad english @ work :-)

well i cant drive yet

don't worry the site will be up soon
Signature
http://junto.sytes.net

id say the limit is reasonable :P

i cant drive yet, but when i my parents drive faster than the speed limit i start feeling weird XD

after getting pulled over for going 82 mph, I usually try to stay at the 75 mph mark

rule #1 : don't ever pass up a cop on the freeway =(

"Every man dies, but not every man lives"

"I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter"

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Quote by aznketherafter getting pulled over for going 82 mph, I usually try to stay at the 75 mph mark
rule #1 : don't ever pass up a cop on the freeway =(

LOL great rule. Need to remember that one

Quote by Angel-Ripperwarning, noob with bad english @ work :-)
naturally i drive the speedlimit, but sometimes five or ten kmh over, especially in towns or villages there is the speedlimit only 50kmh/~32mph. by the way, i am from germany, so we have no probs with speedlimit on the autobahn/freeway :-)

Well, I hope they have autoban in Canada. Then things will be so much easier.

Signature

reshavalentine

reshavalentine

kurozaki ichigo strikes!!!

i got my license already...but dun really dare to drive... -_-"
:p:p

Signature Image
bleach pwns meh :)

I generally drive slightly above the speed limits and at places where the speed limit is ridiculously low (e.g. 60Km/h on a Motorway), I go at the speed everyone else is going at. When situation calls for it (e.g. heavy rain, heavy traffic, etc.), I slow down.

However, I have learnt that the difference between experienced drivers and new ones is not so much as their 'right' to go faster, but rather, the readiness to respond to 'surprise' situations (e.g. car in front stopping abruptly, a car on the side trying to change lane and into YOU, a person crossing unseen from a row of cars, etc.). When going at high speeds, there is even less time to react and it is for this reason there are speed limits.

In Australia, many new drivers (Red P-platers - the first stage to becoming a full-license driver) tend to almost always ignore speed limits and rev up their cars well beyond. I guess most of them think that it is 'uncool' to obey the speed limits and the newly gained freedom to drive on their own - where previously they had to be accompanied by a full-license holder - further boosts their overconfidence. That's why I see so many car crashes on the road - many of them these Red P-platers. They do not yet have full judgement skills to handle the road and driving at such high speeds is complete folly.

My advice to you: go at the speed you are comfortable with and do not rush. Safe and proper learning are always preferrable to being cool or fast.

Regards.

Depends on my mood and other drivers behaviour. If there's people around me who don't deserve a license, then my foot goes down to get away from them.

Haven´t got a car since I am sixteen..... :sweat:

MiniMog

MiniMog

My.Sweet.Serenity

Speed limits are there for a reason, in my opinion. Just look at it this way; those that you see going over the limit, just remember that they'll end up getting pulled over, eventually.

In the UK, they've got Speed Cameras on almost every road. Think about speeding in the UK, you're sure to get flashed by, if not an officer's car, a speed camera. XD I thinkk the only place that doesn't have them is Motorways (or as the US would call, Freeways), but they have a limit of about 70-80mph.

I could say more, but I don't think my teacher would appreciate it.. :3

Signature
Avatar, Signature Image and Userpage Layout by k1ru.

Some time I always do 80 to 90 on a free-way but and for Hi-Way around 50 or 70 :D
And yes I have seen crazy drivers before :D

Well,tough to say!I for one,whenever I havethe chance,I smash my legg against the gas,and switch speed like in 2Fast2Furious.But,you make a good point.If I were an average person,and the speed limit would be 60Km/h,I'd do with 65.So,if we look at it from this point of view,the higher the speed limit,the more speed you'll get.Surprisingly,if you lower the speed limit,people get aware of the speed(moust of them) and tend to slow down!

Darkest secrets.Betray your friends.Look into the eyes of fear.Love the right person.Let go

On today's roads with today's drivers you'll become a traffic hazard is you actually drive the speed limit... That said, I usually drive abotu 10mph over the speed limit, and about a third of the people behind me still pass me...

"Anything is possible, the impossible just takes longer."

WolfMaster

WolfMaster

The Hunter

limit whats that *grins* My best is 153 mph

Mizuna

Mizuna

Lazy

Legally your allowed 10 over the limit (school/playground zones not included). On a regular freeway, 110 is the limit, i tend to do 190+.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..."

"One of life's greatest gifts, the gift of making a mistake."

Zero-Ultimate

Zero-Ultimate

Strike Freedom

In The Netherlands u can drive up to 50 km/hour but on the highway you can speed up to 120 km/hour.
And I think we shouldn't change the speedregulations because most of the accidents happen because of driving problems so a higher speed limit will increase the casualties

Sit upon the frozen heavens
DAI GUREN HYOURINMARU
Signature Image

I tried to drive near the speed limit and never too fast where the cops have to go after me. But high ways are little different, I tend to drive a bit too fast when I'm on one.

Quote by RainOfStarsI got my learner's liscen quite some time ago and is working toward my
novice right now. However, as I am driving, I found a very interesting
situation. In BC Canada, the speed limit within city boundary is 50 km
per hour unless said otherwise. But Everyone always go way above the
limit. I would say the average speed on the road would probably be 60+.
i know I drove pretty fast and, with my dad's car, it is so easy to
speed. On average I drove probably about 65km/hour.

Omg! Is the speed limit there that little?o_0
The speed limit at my place is about 100km/hour..(average out)
At the highways are normally 110km/hour...(Depends on location)
Normally my dad drive at 120 or 130...But there was once he drove to 210 with the upgraded car.. XP
I don't know why but i have the urge for speed...Whenever my mum drives at the highway..She drives below 100km/hour normally.. I just feel really uncomfortable...
The speed just have to be 120 or 130...lolz

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
Signature

eden13600

eden13600

Mr. Lonely

well, i've got no license yet.... but acually i'm driving too.... shhhhhh, it's a secret.... but i think telling to RainOfStars will be no prob.... :) usually i'm driving around 60km per hour.... but when is on highway, give it a boom.... 100km per hour.... of course my parent is with me and all the time and they called me not to drive so fast.... ^_^' but i never listen.... lol.... but when i saw policemen, no prob, just slow down.... and my look is mature actually, so i think it'll be not that easy to get caught.... :D i know i'm not at the age, but just get to be my habit.... ^_^' so maybe now i'll be seldom to drive... cause it's not good...

Friends still are friends, but just cannot too caring about friends and about to forgot your family..... :)

Rurisu

Rurisu

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not my learners permit, I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but here (SA, Australia) if I'm found speeding at all I'll lose that permit and aren't able to get it back for 6 months. I'm also not allowed over 80kmp/h no matter what (100 with an instuctor). Also, 50kmp/h is the limit unless otherwise signed, as thats plenty fast as far as I'm concerned. I mean, whats the big rush? It's like the people that go speeding around you and off down the road at like, 50 over the limit and 10-20 seconds later you're sitting right next to them at the traffic lights again, whats the point.

Unless you're running really late for something, then maybe... depends what it is :P

Signature
"Wherever you go, we're all connected."
- Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.