Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Any reccomendations for [even slightly] shoujo-ai series? - Minitokyo

Any reccomendations for [even slightly] shoujo-ai series?

page 1 of 1 20 total items

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

After getting back from Onna, I'm wondering where the hell the lesbians are. In my panels, hardly anyone even knew what Marimite was... (then again, someone also asked us what "shoujo" means, so maybe that's not saying much).

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for random series (preferably manga, but I'll watch anime just for this XD) with lesbians in them? I'm sure there are plenty of series with side characters that are, but I just haven't heard of them...

Thanks~

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Wow, I'm surprised that the panels didn't know what Marimite was, much less shoujo. I thought people from Yuricon, namely Eria Friedman were going to attend. Maybe you were at the wrong panels? :(

In any case, you can head on over to the yuri, shoujo-ai group for suggestions. I definitely recommend Shoujo Kakumei Utena. For shounen yuri, there's Mai HiME and Kannazuki no Miko. For shoujo skinship shoujo-ai there's Maria sama ga Miteru.

For manga, I would go to Lililicious. They scanlate yuri manga, doujin, and magazine shorts.

Hope those help.

Signature Image

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by FallingAwakeFor manga, I would go to Lililicious. They scanlate yuri manga, doujin, and magazine shorts.

Haha... actually I'm an editor for lili so I'm familiar with all of our projects. And yes, Erica and the rest of us lili girls were there and... uh... dyking up the place? XD But it seemed like everyone else was there for shoujocon. (There were only about ten of us, so...)

But a lot of people showed up to our panel (I think it was called "Yaoi, Yuri, and Shounen-ai for the Straight Guy") so... perhaps we spread some knowledge.

Anyway, yeah, I didn't know that Mai HiME was at all sapphic, I've heard of it but just assumed it was more fan-servicey shounen. Will definitely check it out, thank you! :)

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Wow cool. I'm glad you're spreading the love of yuri around. I love lililicious! <---that's hard to spell.

Well Mai HiME I wouldn't recommend personally for shoujo-ai, but that's what's hot now. Plus it's argued that there's a very canon couple in there. It's Shizuru and Natsuki. Is it done for the fan-service? It's entirely possible. Oh, there's ROD TV. I recommend that for shoujo-ai. It could really go either way with that series though. But I see it :)

Well usually your team is on top of the yuri manga, so I can't think of anything else.

Signature Image

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by FallingAwakeWow cool. I'm glad you're spreading the love of yuri around. I love lililicious! &lt;---that's hard to spell.

Also hard to say... XD I didn't even know how until I met up with everyone at Onna and found out that it's "lily-licious" (which makes so much sense now that I think about it... yuri... lily... duh... *idiot*)

Quote by FallingAwakeWell Mai HiME I wouldn't recommend personally for shoujo-ai, but that's what's hot now. Plus it's argued that there's a very canon couple in there. It's Shizuru and Natsuki. Is it done for the fan-service? It's entirely possible. Oh, there's ROD TV. I recommend that for shoujo-ai. It could really go either way with that series though. But I see it :)

Ahh, okay, that's what I figured. But if there's a "very canon" couple in there, maybe I'll save it for when I'm desperate...

And I've been keeping up with Read or Dream, but I didn't know if Read or Die had any sapphic implications in it, will probably try that before Mai HiME then XD~ thanks again!

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Np- just stay away from the Mai HiMe manga.

Signature Image

I wish I knew of a Yuri anime

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by NiGHTSChaoI wish I knew of a Yuri anime

I'm... assuming you mean yuri, not shoujo-ai, right? Anime Database has a few listed under the yuri genre, at http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&genid=36

But I haven't watched any of them, so I can't tell you whether or not they're good... *cough*

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Yikes, I just looked at the list and some of them are hentai titles with yuri in them.

Signature Image

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by FallingAwakeYikes, I just looked at the list and some of them are hentai titles with yuri in them.

Uh, yeah, like I said... stuff I haven't watched. XD Generally I assume "yuri" will just be hentai that I wouldn't be at all interested in, since the target audience is always men. Gross.

IMO it's better to watch shoujo ai instead of yuri. But of course if someone looking for sexual scene, then you better go watch yuri anime.

Let's see, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito can also be considered as shoujo ai, if i'm not wrong.

Other than all the title posted before, i too want to know other title of shoujo ai anime.

Blue Silent Bell

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

I dont know if I would consider Yamibou a shoujo-ai anime. It's got shoujo-ai and non explicit yuri in it, but that's minimal. It's just one girl pining away and searching for one girl most of the time. Just classifying it at shoujo-ai seems weird to me. But that whole series was weird, and yeah.

Signature Image

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by FallingAwakeI dont know if I would consider Yamibou a shoujo-ai anime. It's got shoujo-ai and non explicit yuri in it, but that's minimal. It's just one girl pining away and searching for one girl most of the time. Just classifying it at shoujo-ai seems weird to me. But that whole series was weird, and yeah.

I know, I couldn't even finish that one cause it seemed so fan-servicey and the only fansubbed version I could find had *horrible* subs... I couldn't make ANY sense of the plot. :/

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Quote by lelei

Quote by FallingAwakeI dont know if I would consider Yamibou a shoujo-ai
anime. It's got shoujo-ai and non explicit yuri in it, but that's
minimal. It's just one girl pining away and searching for one girl most
of the time. Just classifying it at shoujo-ai seems weird to me. But
that whole series was weird, and yeah.

I know, I couldn't even finish that one cause it seemed so fan-servicey
and the only fansubbed version I could find had *horrible* subs... I
couldn't make ANY sense of the plot. :/

I'ts okay. There wasn't much going for the plot. Well at least nothing I can think of.

Just curious, but what series would you consider 'shoujo-ai'?

Signature Image

I don't really recall anime series that full blown shoujo ai. Even Kannazuki, Himeko only realized that she love Chikane at almost end of the series.
Which anime that focus on shoujo ai from the very start of the series?
It's far more easier to find a pure shoujo ai in fanfics....

(And oh yes, don't mind about the storyline of Yami Bou. It's weird and not the same with the storyline of the game.)

The part that i like is, how Hazuki seems to really love Hatsumi. She even go to various world just to search for her. Even though she already knew that Hatsumi is in fact Eve, the Keeper, and will never ever can live forever with humans like her.

Another one is Lilith's true feelings. Lilith loves Eve more than anything, but never really showed it throughout the series, save the last conversations, when Eve already back being the Keeper.

Eh, does Kiddy Grade can be considered shoujo ai? Eclair and Lumierre seems to care very much about each other, only in more childish way.

Blue Silent Bell

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Quote by FallingAwakeJust curious, but what series would you consider 'shoujo-ai'?

Uh, not much? SKU, Marimite, and Onii-sama are the only ones that I can think of as "legitimate" shoujo-ai animes. Well, and I guess Kannazuki counts since, even though I didn't finish it, like a million people told me that at the end, the girls DO in fact end up together. Damn. Wish I had finished it. But I couldn't take all the mecha & heterosexual crap for more than a few episodes. :p

Actually He Is My Master has some shoujo-ai in it. That's one of my "series I like despite myself"... *sigh* Full of horrible fanservice. But somehow still cute...

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

Okay. Because I have trouble calling any series "shoujo-ai." There can be elements in there, but Kannazuki is still a shounen series. I finished the series, and even though the two girls do end up undoubtly in a romantic relationship, I still was like, "wtf?"

I've heard of He Is My Master- but after 2 episodes I couldnt bring myself to go on. I didn't find anything funny, but the fanboys around me apparently did.

Kiddy Grade? I'm not sure about this one either. It can be argued both ways, like noir. When I first saw noir, I didn't think there were any romantic implications, well except for Chloe- but that's creepy. Then I found out that people love Kirika and Mireille together. So I thought i was missing something. But it's been said that the creators left it up to the viewer's imagination.

Lumiere and Eclaire are very close. But there really isn't anything obvious that states their relationship beyond love as friends/partners. If anything, it's all subtle.

a nice little sorta shounenish fanservice yuri/shoujo-ai is Air Master. Mina has it so bad for Maki.

Signature Image

lelei

lelei

Mm, sapphic.

Hmm, right, but still... it's better than the one girl remaining with an unrequited love, as most lesbian characters in animes do.

Yeah, He Is My Master wasn't actually entertaining until that girl (I think her name is Anna) decided that she was a lesbian... and I still don't find all the other crap amusing, but... that girl is cute, so... I somehow endure everything else.

And I don't see the Noir thing at all either, I have no clue where people got that idea from, it's quite a stretch.

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

True. I am familiar with the legacy of lesbians in anime having horrible fates and just depressing endings.

Noir, along with so many other anime just leave it so open- the fans go nuts. I have a hard time understanding where people come up with possible pairings(that goes for all kinds of relationships). It's like, "omg- they are shown together and are standing 2 feet from eachother, it's so canon!11" But then I realise I do that too, and just shut up. Maybe I'm just dense or something.

This season seems to be in the process of starting up it's yuri vibes due to a lot of wishful thinking. But I'll keep an eye out.

Adolescence of Utena remains my favorite piece of yuri/shoujo-ai anime.

Signature Image

gelatinous

gelatinous

a duck sitting beneath a tree

... "where all the lesbians" are..?

didnt you hang with like, the lot of us? :p

we could always draw our own lelei. i thought of it with ponda.. not that we're great artists.

-gel

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.