How do you make vectors?

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Limefreak

Limefreak

So many Limes so little time

Cancel

I searched for this topic in the search box and I didn't find this located anywhere so I decided to post it.
How do you make vectors? I was just wondering. I mean, I know you re-color them and such but, really how do you go about making a vector? Do you go in with a brush and recolor areas?
I'am really confused can someone tell me how to make a vector?

Thanks I appreciate this alot ^_^'

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Cancel

A vector, in terms of digital artwork, refers to any artwork drawn with bezier curves. Bezier curves define an image in terms of mathmatical formula that define the shape of a line. Because vectors are saved as a function of these formulae, they can be scaled up and down without loss in quality. This is in comparision to bitmap images which are defined by a grid, each pixel in the grid having a color assigned to it.
To create vectors you need a program capable of it. Inkscape and Sodipodi are two free/shareware programs; Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Flash and Freehand, and Corel Xara are professional software that specialize in vector illustration. Some other art programs like Photoshop mimic vector illustration but are not usually considered "true" vector programs.
In a vector trace, people generally just trace over an existing image with vectors. This basically converts a bitmap image into a vector image, and allows the user to both clean the image (since the image is entirely redrawn) and create an easily scalable image (especially from small sources such as screencaps.)
For more information, try searching for "bezier curve" to learn more about the mathematics of vectors.

Limefreak

Limefreak

Cancel

thanks so much for the tips :)

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

Cancel

Quote by Tama-NekoInkscape and Sodipodi are two free/shareware programs

The GIMP also has a vectoring feature.

• Oct 15, 2005

akari-chan

akari-chan

59 luv XD

Cancel

you can go to http://romeo-help4u.com/AA/ for a vec tut if you still need it.

Signature
*~Latest Submissions~*:
{Relaxation}{Melancholic Yuki}{Basil}{Potemayo}

Limefreak

Limefreak

Cancel

thanks .... for one of my latest vectors I recolored the entire image using a paintbrush tool and some layers......... it took me 6 hours......... T_T was it supposed to take me that long?!?!?!?!? ^_^'

Cancel

that was helpful, thanks for the info.

Signature

If you believe everything you read, better not read." -Japanese proverb

• Oct 16, 2005

ZeroFear

ZeroFear

That guy...

Cancel

Quote by Limefreakthanks .... for one of my latest vectors I recolored the entire image using a paintbrush tool and some layers......... it took me 6 hours......... T_T was it supposed to take me that long?!?!?!?!? ^_^'

Yeah..just about. ^_^'

I've heard of a few people who have spent nearly a month finishing a vector.

Limefreak

Limefreak

Cancel

thanks I had no idea that it took that long to completely make one ^_^'

winged

winged

Nostalgic...

Cancel

So just using a single programme of Adobe Illustrator one can vector? *blur*

Signature
| What do you believe in and fight for? |

akito85

akito85

and the story goes..

Cancel

I suggest you to use adobe illustrator or coreldraw to make a vector image...

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Cancel

Quote by Limefreakthanks .... for one of my latest vectors I recolored the entire image
using a paintbrush tool and some layers......... it took me 6
hours......... T_T was it supposed to take me that long?!?!?!?!? ^_^'

when i do my vectors i use the fill on the lines so colour and that say colour for that part i.e hair is with the line, i dont kow how many of u do that but thats how i do it

my first vector took about 12 hours hehehe, next one was about 13-14 hrs

im working on another and ive guess around 20+ hours for me to do it

Signature Image

Yureika

Yureika

[.: L!ve tHe FulLe$t :.]

Cancel

knock knock...
can i use photoshop cs2 to make vector?..
cuz i dont wanna d/l illustrator..scared my comp will become slow...

Jormungandr

Jormungandr

Child of Deceit

Cancel

that depends entirely on what you want to do with it. "Vector" is not a singular thing, it is a style of graphic editing completely outside of Raster.

Signature

Confucius says, shit happens.

• Nov 09, 2005

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.