Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do viruses exist? - Minitokyo

Why do viruses exist?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

AtmaCashino

AtmaCashino

The Destroyer of Everything

I've been wandering about this for a while. If it's something like a foreign country trying to cripple a rival country, I can understand that, but why do people in [insert country here] create viruses that cause problems in [same country here]?

(Note: talking about why people make viruses and worms)

Signature

Prepare for total annihilation!

elsenrail

hmmm.... i must say..

just to show how good they are, or they are just playing stupid...pointless acts done by sick people. not worth respecting in my opinion

Signature

Not for me, but always for somebody else .....

Often there is no point, and it is simply an exercise in skill or whatever you can think of. There is rarely a valid cause or reason for people who create viruses. Quite often it can simply be the creators desire to have some fun.

most virus writers do it because they can, which is sad because they are all technologically talented and as such could put their skills to much better use, and possibly get paid too

Sometimes it's matter of skill, just to see if you can. Though there are programs that create a virus for you (I would have to wonder if you can trust such a program yourself). Frequently a virus is created to give it's creator access to your computer. There are also accidental viruses such as the Morris worm which was simply designed to spread, but otherwise be benign. An unanticipated flaw caused it to reinfect machines several times slowing it down until it couldn't do anything.

hellbomb

KaBoom!

i always thought that ppl that repair computers for a living created viruses as a way to bring in more business.
its a stupid idea, but im not willing to rule it out so quickly.

....(_)_TNT_)----#
..(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
(_)(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
"somebody set up us the bomb"

More trouble than it's worth really, considering how far you have to go to remove some of the nastier one's, compared to the pay you get. Especially when you throw in the amount of time it takes for these worst case scenarios.

i don't know, but i've always had the idea that antivirus software designers make a virus, just to keep sales high...

Prose

Prose

Wonderlust

Why do criminals exist? Why do people lie to each other? Why do people take advantage of others misfotrune? All probably the same reason. There's people who take joy in making other people suffer and the like. If people didn't do these things, we'd probably be living in a utopia. lol There are bad people everywhere, and the internet is full of them. Anonimity is probably key with internet stuff though.

Signature

lol cause anti virus companies make then so you buy their products

Erinecera

Erinecera

Cat Lover

Quote by EnTrOpIsTalol cause anti virus companies make then so you buy their products

<< --- I agree with you, entropista. It's all part of the business. The more the new viruses, the more the new Anti-virus software versions. Thus, the bigger the income $.

I l o v e c a t s !
=^-^= <--- this my loving sidekick, Martin

lol yeah well maybe they dont make all of them like the 100 versions of 1 worm , but hige viruses and popular ones are usually made by companies, after Torjans and stuff are for different uses . but shure the anti virus companies are pretty happy that happens

uhm generally it's skill/show off issue..
also it's not always country vs country.. people in country A can still disklike other people in country A, the analogy doesn't hold up anyway because viruses don't care for borders..
the argument that antivirus companies make them to keep up profits doesn't work either, since you have some free to use anti-virus scanners, or even completely free, like 'clamav' is.. and these scanners aren't any worse..

I'd see 2 reasons for creating a virus:
1. showing off your skills (personally don't find this a good one)
2. showing vulnrabilities in systems, like one can do with hacking (there must be betters ways, but ey, people are stubburn)
3. as a political action, where you aim the virus on something you disagree with (I really wish there was no need for political actions, yet there is.. if this is a good one? no idea)

[short sigs yay!]
URL: http://web.expr42.net/ or http://web6.expr42.net/
-death ot the signature bunny!- :)

USA: "Oh, look what I can do-- shit! I dropped it! .........hodamn...."

^_^

Well, scientific progress might beckon and make us want to see what kind of microorganic killing machine we can manifest... but.... I dunno really. The Military gets involved, and that's where the funding goes, into a weapon.

What I really don't know though, is why we still keep live strains of things like Small Pox in cold storage. Does our government plan to release it on teh public for an epidemic one day?

But I'm just an odd conspiracy theorist....

people just hate m$..

night falls its time to kill,this fist will give you the thrill,your blood is running like the rain,you are begging no more pain,my need to kill grows bigger and bigger,when I press the trigger...
...I reload my gun get ready to run,Fu*k your life im just having fun....:-)

-Norther-

Many worms gather information from the target and send them somewhere. As for the viruses that only messes your PC up, I guess... the creator just wants to make other people's lives harder.

Estein

Estein

Mega-Dizzy

Because they dont have girlfriends/boyfriends =p
Hehe, only a joke.
Maybe its because they want to show to the world that they are better than others =(
See ya later /no1

Yup

I think, for most, it's just because they can do it. But there are, too, people who do that for money.

uychua

uychua

give crap-get crap

they make viruses to just bug people..

smile. :D :D

Rurisu

Rurisu

Lieutenant Commander

Several reasons really. Lets list a few:
a) to exploit vulnerabilities for monetary gain (identity theft, etc);
b) because they dislike the company which their virus attacks the software of;
c) for kicks (show they're smarter/better than others, which they're not);
d) to annoy people;
e) they're bored;
f)

Quote by EsteinBecause they dont have girlfriends/boyfriends =p

:P Let the reasoning behind these madmen continue!

Signature
"Wherever you go, we're all connected."
- Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain.

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

They suffer from the "small penis complecs", so they need to express their anger and frustration.
:s

up up and away

doctors or medical companies dont make people sick to get $$$

johngimen

johngimen

E.Y.A.I.M.

cause they want me to get a new comp every time the damn thing hits!!!!!!
those *bleep**bleep*------------------------------- sory, but damn them

follow ur heart, abandon ur brain
i aint that smart, but ill keep what i gain

Acuni

Acuni

wrapped in night

that is easy some people like to delight on other peoples problems so the one who writes the thing enyojs that or he likes experiments ^^ and besides they can become very powerful with the right informations they can get after the virus has destrojed the computer firewalls and the antivirus programs

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.