Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Gaia Online - What's the point? - Minitokyo

Gaia Online - What's the point?

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Blondie4Ever

Blondie4Ever

Adieu...

Does anyone here understand the appeal of this site (Gaia Online)? As far as I can tell, people first create a "Chibi" character, then spend the rest of their time doing pointless things (like creating message-chains that have nothing more than the word "bump" in them) to earn "gold" they can exchange to "dress" their character.

As far as I can tell, the clothes don't enable any special features, unlock any areas, or grant the character any special powers. It's just, well, dressing up dolls?!?

For all the aforementioned, the site seems incredibly popular, with many people donating real money (on what appears to be a regular basis).

I just don't get the bizarre appeal of the place, much less the reason for it's continued success. What am I missing?

Signature Image

What is it really about? Isn't like RPG game online?

Signature
featuring Primera from Magic Knight Rayearth

royaldarkness

royaldarkness

Restless Soul

i don't see any fun in it either. joined it, and left the account hanging.

dezidez

dezidez

fanatic

hmmm...yea..i must admit..lol..i am lost aswell....i still dont understand eihter..lol :\ :D ;) ^_^' ill get it someday...lol

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

I'm actually a member of the Gaia community, and I have to admit that what you say is awfully true in some cases. The impression you give is much the same I had when I first joined.

I stuck to it, however, and found quite a few people that I enjoyed talking to. If you think about it, it is actually quite similar to forums such as this. Your avatar is just something you create on the site itself, and posting is something that helps you earn the things to change how the avatar looks.

It's a lot of fun talking, and there are boards for art and all sorts of other things there. 'Breedable pets' is something that I stick around a lot, where artists draw 'stages' of various types of pets that you can purchase and watch grow. Sometimes they breed, sometimes they just change. You can commission art work using the currency and items from the site.

The site is free, so it's donation driven. So, people donate money so that it will stay free and can keep running with the massive bandwidth. They offer special items you can only get through donating to encourage more people to donate so they can upgrade the servers more frequently.

It's fairly well organized, but sometimes they get carried away with bring out updates before they fix all the bugs from the previous updates.

<3 Hope this answers a few questions.

polarie

polarie

..my heart is crying out loud...

i have no idea actually... is this a game site or something? making chibi characters sounds fun.. as u can see.. i have a weak thing for chibi stuff... otherwise.. i can't really comment much on this topic..

Signature

proud member of Nippon-Foods | JapaneseLover | Chibi-Fest

Blondie4Ever

Blondie4Ever

Adieu...

Quote by FyorI'm actually a member of the Gaia community, ...
It's a lot of fun talking, and there are boards for art and all sorts
of other things there...It's fairly well organized, but sometimes they get carried away with
bring out updates before they fix all the bugs from the previous
updates.<3 Hope this answers a few questions.

Thanks, much. :) I'd looked at some of the forums, but they seemed very chaotic & lacked any search function other then "by (thread) author"!?! Still, it sounds as if I might've sold it a bit short in my initial estimation; i'll give it another try.

Thanks again for your, and everyone else's reply. Take care, and happy MTing...

Signature Image

Sazness

Sazness

Sazness

It used to be ok to go to, and somewhat fun. I was introduced to it at an anime con where some girls in the line-up for registration told me about it while we spend the time playing cards.
It's similar to minitokyo, yet it isn't. You can upload art and get gold for it to buy your gaia self clothes and accessories. Well, here you ean level points and get to zoom in on scans.
It just depends on what you're into.
Gaia nowadays is more based on the younger population. It appeals to them, little chibi characters that you can dress up, you get to chat in the forums ( just like you can here) and while doing so you earn more gaia gold to spend on items.

I don't go there much anymore, no po9int really since most people there are what, like 8 and up? I'm 22 so they don't want to associate with me -__-;
But anyways, to most people it may seem pointless, but either way, it had it's advantages for me, for I found my BF there.
Gaia has it's uses X)

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.