College: This is everyone's future

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

I haven't created a thread in a while, but this seems to be an issue with students who are in college, students who plan on attending college, students who don't plan on attending college, current parents who have children, and future parents who will have children and plan for them to attend college.

http://www.collegeboard.com/press/article/0,3183,29541,00.html - After reading this article, I see that people are paying less and less for college when they attend, but it all depends on financial plans and such. Not all people qualify for grants and loans, and I do not think that I'm one of them. For the first 1.5 years of college, my father had to pay over $14,000. I imagine it could be worse if I was supporting myself.

Some of the college costs have risen a certain few percent over the years, and it will increase even more soon. One website forecasted the average college price in 20 years from now to be about $26,000 for public colleges and $53,000 for private colleges. With a constant tuition inflation rate of about 7% and a student who pays $12,895 a year, the student will have paid in all $57,253.06 after 4 years without grants.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/costprojector.cgi - You may calculate how much you or your parents will have to pay if you don't factor in the grants and scholarships (this is in US money, so US students would probably have the liberty of calculating the future costs). The instructions on the web page tell you what to do when filling out the form.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/18/pf/college/college_costs/ - Here, there is more evidence of rising costs of college prices. The most aid is given to the students whose parents are middle or upper classed than those who are lower classed, and the most expensive tuition and fees are in the New England states, even if a student is an in-state student. Also, college graduates earn about 73% more than high school graduates.

Why is the cost of college rising? Most of it has to do with funding for more schools since the population of the world is terribly rising, and not many people have that kind of money to pay for college anymore. However, another source showed that those people who stay in school for college and beyond earn a lot more money than those who drop out of high school or just graduated from high school and called it a day simply because they think if the students went to work that they would quit ahead for something they didn't like.

What are your thoughts?

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

• Oct 18, 2005

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Cancel

i will always condemn them for greed, but since land costs are rising nowadays, the rent for a piece of college land will be expensive. furthermore, with the current way things are, with money and technology on the boom, i say the need for students to have access to the highest quality of educational equipment, they must spend a lot to supply that need.
most students nowadays are in need of computers and many a times, without upgrading, the overall technology will never be satisfied in need.
my college (the former one ) used 350000 ringgit (Malaysia Currency) to get some 30 computers and lan lines. the lecturers average pay is 4k a month, so i say, i guess greed can be justified....

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

egnirys

egnirys

Music is my Boyfriend.

Cancel

My tuition costs increased since last year. It's not much, but it's enough to make a difference. Tuition costs are rising because good ol' GW is cutting funding for schools. Private schools don't get funding. My school suffers. It's public, it depends on grants and taxes to continue running.

I have to work almost 30 hours a week just to pay my tuition and books. I can't afford to live in the dormitories, so I live at home and commute. It's hard, it really is, but I don't want to spend my entire life paying the government back for my education (if I could even get financial aid... Pell Grants were mostly axed too).

Cancel

My tutions increased only ten dollars, so no big deal. But i think its mustly due to renovating.

• Oct 18, 2005

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

Cancel

My tuition increased like 50 dollars last semester, its really not a big deal. I suppose you can consider that college fees are getting more expensive, but its getting more expensive to run a college as well. You have to hire more professors to handle the rising number of students. Also building housing is really expensive, especially at my college which is located in Midtown atlanta. A small one bedroom studio here is like 300,000+ to own. I dont mind the tuition hikes since they've been reasonable increases. Most of the time its the money you'd make if you didnt go out to dinner a couple times. You can give that up to go to college. If you are tight for money though, in my state there are many grants for people who cannot afford college. If you have the will and also have the proof that you can perform well in college, then college is practically free. My parents technically make too much money for me to be able to get grants and loans but since I made good grades in high school, the first two years of my tuition were completely paid for. :) My boyfriends parents fit into the category that allows for grants and he gets room board and tuition free. :)'

Oh and my opinion on the 73% more pay for college grads than high school grads? I think thats fine. You SHOULD be paid more for being trained to do more. I know some of my friends who work their butts off to pay for college and at the same time they study and make the grade. Their efforts should be rewarded with a much higher pay than if they just didnt go to college at all.

Plus, most of the information you learn in high school is pretty much general knowledge thats completely useless in higher level professions that run our world like engineering or computing or medicine. The cost of college may be high, but I think thats fair since the rewards are multiple times greater than that cost.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

Quote by SuniraThe cost of college may be high, but I think thats fair since the rewards are multiple times greater than that cost.

With the tuition inflation set in place for each passing year, will the rewards be as great in the future? Based on the results above, I do not think that they will even make much of a difference if the parents plan on sending their children to school or even if they don't send them to school. If students are on their own at the time in the future, it is more than likely that they'll probably pay off the loans for college for many, many years. There is no guarantee that jobs in the future will pay anymore than they do today, and I guarantee that more and more people will be investing in their earnings in the future as well due to the inflation setting in. Looking at the overall current statistics, it can be assumed that not as much people will be able to afford college in several years, let alone that for future parents they need a really good job to support their children for college.

Signature Image

• Oct 18, 2005

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

Cancel

=_= My tuition for this year increased to over $40,000 this year... granted this is everything including room and board, I think my parents are paying around $30,000+ for the academic tuition, and I have a decent deal living off-campus this semester =_= I "took my revenge" by having 3 student jobs last last semester and earned a decent amount of money off my school, although my grades suffered =P It's ridiculous how expensive this school is... *rants* Not that I don't love my school. But yah, it's still ridiculous.

EDIT: Although I can also see that we're paying a heck lot to have good connections and resources and school name and stuff like that... u_u It does make some difference in the future, jobs-wise, I think. Not much though =P

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

Cancel

Quote by SilentMasamune

Quote by SuniraThe cost of college may be high, but I think thats fair
since the rewards are multiple times greater than that
cost.

With the tuition inflation set in place for each passing
year, will the rewards be as great in the future? Based on the results
above, I do not think that they will even make much of a difference. If
students are on their own at the time in the future, it is more than
likely that they'll probably pay off the loans for college for many,
many years. There is no guarantee that jobs in the future will pay
anymore than they do today, and I guarantee that more and more people
will be investing in their earnings in the future as well due to the
inflation setting in. Looking at the overall current statistics, it can
be assumed that not as much people will be able to afford college in
several years, let alone that for future parents they need a really
good job to support their children for college.

If you go to college, then Im going to assume you're going to make as much as most college students make afterwards, somewhere around 40 - 50k per year. You can easily pay off your loans in a couple of years unless you decide to immediately start a family and enshroud youself in debt like most of the nation. Plus, most college kids have a part time job which pays a few thousand a year, as well there are internships etc...

What Im trying to say is, college is only going to be impossible to pay for if you're too lazy to work during college, take NO initiative to do internships with companies, and right after college immerse yourself in debt by buying whatever you want or starting a family with you as the only monetary support. If you make all those bad decisions, then of course you're going to be in debt and I certainly dont think its going to be 100% the fault of the college as it is the individual that cannot manage their money. :)

Quote by flyindreams=_= My tuition for this year increased to over $40,000 this year... granted this is everything including room and board, I think my parents are paying around $30,000+ for this school =_= I "took my revenge" by having 3 student jobs last last semester and earned a decent amount of money off my school, although my grades suffered =P It's ridiculous how expensive this school is... *rants* Not that I don't love my school. But yah, it's still ridiculous.

I can sympathize with you, you go to one of the most expensive colleges in the nation. But you knew that before you went and your parents and yourself Im sure worked something out before hand. However the majority of college graduates go to public institutions which I think are reasonable affordable.

KiraKira

Hitori...

Cancel

since i'm a senior in high school, thanks for the info and feedback of college funds etc.. i'm planning to attend to Cal Poly Pomona, hopefully i'm qualified for financial aid and fee waver. yes i'm taking advantage of the bonuses out there cause i really need it. =/ here's also a great site and yes i suggest for whom ever that is graduating and going to college this year should sign up too, take the opportunity and the chance while it's open.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

it has all the information about financial aid and how to apply for it. good look to all of you guys.

• Oct 18, 2005

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

Cancel

Quote by SilentMasamuneWhy is the cost of college rising? Most of it has to do with funding for more schools since the population of the world is terribly rising, and not many people have that kind of money to pay for college anymore. However, another source showed that those people who stay in school for college and beyond earn a lot more money than those who drop out of high school or just graduated from high school and called it a day simply because they think if the students went to work that they would quit ahead for something they didn't like.
What are your thoughts?

I'm relying on my family to pay for my college expenses at the moment. There is an alternative that is starting to gain the favor of many students, and that is the community college. It's relatively cheap -- I'm attending one now, and for this quarter, I only had to pay $1127 for four classes. I will be at this community college for the rest of this year and all next year, then I'm going to transfer to a 4-year university. It is significantly cheaper, and it's a good way for some students to adjust to college. I highly recommend this alternative. I must agree, though, the world population is rising too quickly, and too many illegal aliens are benefitting from the money native-born US citizens and those who took the time to apply for citizenship are paying in taxes to the government.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

Quote by SuniraIf you go to college, then Im going to assume you're going to make as much as most college students make afterwards, somewhere around 40 - 50k per year. You can easily pay off your loans in a couple of years unless you decide to immediately start a family and enshroud youself in debt like most of the nation. Plus, most college kids have a part time job which pays a few thousand a year, as well there are internships etc...

College graduates do earn a good $45,000 to $50,000 a year. However, if you're to send your child to college in the future, it would mean investing in even more money than people invest in today. Thanks to the tuition inflation, people who have yet to go to college will be facing higher charges, and people who have already graduated or will graduate, have a child, and send them off to college will ultimately face higher and higher charges. Years and years of savings are required to even pay off college for the future, and it's likely that luxuries in the world may no longer be the things we can rely on to evaluate our status in the world.

And another issue to optionally bring up is race. In the future, by the way it may seem, race wouldn't determine how rich or how poor a person is; looking at how college students earn more money than high school graduates and students of higher levels of education over college earn more than college students, I cannot agree that race will ever be a factor in the future as much as it is today.

Signature Image

• Oct 19, 2005

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Cancel

Here in the Philippines, private universities and colleges rise their tuition fees every year and that's very bad. Good thing I'm on a public university with lower tuition fees and other expenses. XD

But it'll be worth it if a certain person graduated from college since he/she'll have some jobs and earn it, hehehe!

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Cancel

well i can't really complain because i'm on scholarship... but like so many others i also believe that the rising costs of tuition are due to keeping up with the number of students going to college and also the government's cuts in school funding.

Quote by SilentMasamuneAnd another issue to optionally bring up is race. In the future, by the way it may seem, race wouldn't determine how rich or how poor a person
is; looking at how college students earn more money than high school
graduates and students of higher levels of education over college earn
more than college students, I cannot agree that race will ever be a
factor in the future as much as it is today.

if you are interested in ethnography and social reproduction theory, there's an excellent book by Jay Macleod called "Ain't No Makin It: Aspirations and Attainment in a Low-Income Neighborhood" that deals with the issues of race regarding goals and such for ppl who live in low income housing... (kinda off topic, but not completely unrelated to the topic at hand ^_^')

Signature Image

Rikimaru-jp

Rikimaru-jp

Katon Karyu Endan

Cancel

Well, the tuition fees are increasing every year worldwide because the number of college students is increasing so much over the years and it's quite "economically" normal because financially when the demand increases the offer increases as well so it's not something odd or related to any other reasons or causes!
And I also want add that increasing tuition fees is a policy to fight unemployment that many countries use in order to reduce the numbers of unemployed people!
In my country private universities are quite expensive comparing to our average salary and most of the private universities here don't worth the high fees that are offering because of their terrible educational programs we only have here three decent private unis and the other are really trash and their certifications are mostly not accepted in lots of jobs and companies! But our public universities really one of the best because the teachers are really high skilled and the programs they offer are really hard and better than the private unis!
And the fee for our public university is really cheap!!! It costs maximum 200 USD XP while the most expensive private uni costs 25000 USD and the cheaper one costs 1500 USD!

*~* It's Not Who I Am Underneath, But What I Do That Defines Me *~*
Signature Image
Check My Gallery

Cancel

There are a lot more advancements in technology that may account for the rising costs too, but the price still shouldn't rise much because a lot more people are going to colleges so more money is going into them, but then you need more professors. And ,naturally, the prices of everything go up as more people get raises. The value of everything is still the same though. I guess I got a little off subjet. Heehee! But colleges are getting bigger and batter and that comes with a price.

!~* Best Friends Forever = Kaisui Tatsu ~ thingperson ~ PinkPrincessLacus *~!
Administrator of FFVV and Make-a-Friend
Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

Quote by fireflywisheswell i can't really complain because i'm on scholarship... but like so many others i also believe that the rising costs of tuition are due to keeping up with the number of students going to college and also the government's cuts in school funding.

The government's cuts in school funding is most likely due to the fact that they are still paying for the expenses of the war on terror. Last I heard, they were spending a good $177 million a day. Multiply that by the number of days in 4 years, and you'll really get how much the government spent. Then they are still trying to take money away from the people by having the prices of other things increase. I already know that the taxes go to the government, and as long as the government taxes the people on the jobs, in homes, and in schools, we will not be finding any relief to this inflation. The value of money will become so little that it will be even worthless after one point. I even doubt that US people will be able to move away from their parents in due time because they won't be able to afford the rent.

Lastly, we could all thank the rising population for that one because the life expectancy is far too high, and less and less people are dying. It's all thanks to the research for new ways to artificially prolong the lives of people whenever they were expected to pass away a while ago and thanks to the funding it took to execute the developments of these artificial life prolonging medicines.

Signature Image

• Oct 19, 2005
Cancel

school is so expensive...i think is a big rip...but when i think about it...i goes to the school teachers, books in the library, anything need for the school property...then again...it goes to like government properties...gayness...its best to go on scholarships...free rides ^-^

life is but a dream...
my soul belongs to meli-chan

• Oct 19, 2005

SweetGrl

SweetGrl

doki doki

Cancel

I don't know why the cost of college is rising but i think it's because the government or something needs the money to do something inportant. I don't really know. I am planning on going to college and i hope the cost of college will be lowered by then since i don't want to have to pay so much just to get me educated. Besides, my parents need the money to go back to visit their hometown which is China. If they didn't have the money cuz of college, then they wouldn't ever see their parents and their hometown. Well, i really hope the cost of college will be lowered soon.

Live to Love, Love to Live~~
Signature

• Oct 20, 2005

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Cancel

Well, this is an obvious issue which has apparently been looming around the corner for some time. Last year, I attended an Ontario University in Canada, and its funny enough that the statistics are pretty much proving the same trend that seemingly occurs within over many other countries as well.

"Ontario at first hand, will be given the lowest loans throughout all the provinces in the entirety of Western, Southern, and Eastern Canada...

Experts claim financially, that even if the average student would be given $6, 500 maximum on a yearly basis, if the student does fulfill full-time requirements of education, they will continue to end up $2, 000 less than revenues expected." - TBSA, Government of Canada Regulations, Ministry of Education - Ontario

Even if you are an international student crossing overseas, you have to pay at least double that amount, and that may not even include living expenses. Tuition costs are terribly on a rise each year...

Quote by SilentMasamuneCollege graduates do earn a good $45,000 to $50,000 a year. However, if you're to send your child to college in the future, it would mean investing in even more money than people invest in today. Thanks to the tuition inflation, people who have yet to go to college will be facing higher charges, and people who have already graduated or will graduate, have a child, and send them off to college will ultimately face higher and higher charges. Years and years of savings are required to even pay off college for the future, and it's likely that luxuries in the world may no longer be the things we can rely on to evaluate our status in the world.

Most of the colleagues I know aren't even adequately well paid enough to be staying in school for the full 3 to 4 years, that's a given. Ever hear many quote of the term "summer job?" Like... oh! I need to work during the summer time to pay off part of my debts! It's commonality nowadays, and the frustration that lies beyond it becomes all too well-known.

It pretty much brings back to your point you quoted from above. Will the costs of education truly never exceed the money parents can support their own children in the long run? Most likely unless your parents are very rich, no. And well... even if you work a couple years to save up that kind of money, it would have been better off working in another job without even having a college degree on. I hear many people saying that, plus on top of the complaints, how difficult it is to pass university as well [due to bell-curving grades, etc. etc.] You'll have to be lucky to land into a decent position if you don't want to get into school. Also, it is most likely graduates will be paid a whole lot better than people who don't even have a high school degree. The issue at hand about shortages in cash and the way they outline education status gets utterly ridiculous at times, no offense.

You spend money to make money? It's all or nothing, and there's nothing really much you can do about it. That's the trend of life, and reality can be cold and harsh at times... especially nowadays. Just my two cents.

Quote by SilentMasamuneAnd another issue to optionally bring up is race. In the future, by the way it may seem, race wouldn't determine how rich or how poor a person is; looking at how college students earn more money than high school graduates and students of higher levels of education over college earn more than college students, I cannot agree that race will ever be a factor in the future as much as it is today.

Race may not be a factor, but the cost of hiring a graduate who works in another country, and the demand of hourly wages will kick in, that's for sure.

For some funny reason, that's why more American graduates are becoming unemployed nowadays. Why? It's all about saving money. Have an American who has about the equivalency of a degree just like a person from India had before him, but the person from India would work for lesser wages. Who would they more likely hire? Just a toss up, and good day Mel. **Nods**

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

mado

mado

Ikaika

Cancel

man that sucks but thank you for such info. my parents are probaly going to get a loan and i hope to make 4 yrs of college.-_- i mean my bro is stupid and doesnt want to attend college but thats more money for me to attend. i'd like to see how far he gets w/ no college degree. i will deffinantly check out the web sites. mahalo ^^

Me Ke Aloha Pau Ole A Hui Hau
( With Everlasting Love And Affection Until We Meet Again.)

• Oct 21, 2005
Cancel

im on a scholarship so its not that bad.

• Oct 21, 2005

Mizuna

Mizuna

Lazy

Cancel

Makes me glad i quit college.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..."

"One of life's greatest gifts, the gift of making a mistake."

• Oct 21, 2005

DarkBlade-

Dream Hunter

Cancel

in my opinion, considering the fact that the US is largely a military country and not one that focuses education and technological advances as their highlight (like japan) and also the fact that we have troops overseas means more government money is going towards them instead of education, now im not saying that the US is totally neglecting education, we do rank decently compared to other nations academic-wise however if you average everyone in the US (literate, illiterate, colledge grads) i would think that we would move down the ladder a little.

of course you could go for the no-brainer answer, more students = more money needed to take care of them

Signature

• Oct 21, 2005

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Cancel

DarkBlade, it's no wonder why the advances in Japan have been for the better, and they have even developed energy-efficient means of technology though it was a high cost to begin with by purchasing the materials and products for those technologies. The end result was a lower cost-efficient product, something the US has yet to attain considering they only center their taxes around the government which isn't doing a thing to help out right now. So it could be considered that the government is independent of their needs or wants while the people are the ones who have to come together to make changes. This is how I see it.

Signature Image

• Oct 23, 2005

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.