Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 I need some help with buying an Athlon64 and motherboard. - Minitokyo

I need some help with buying an Athlon64 and motherboard.

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

This is going to hit my bank account pretty hard, but I need a serious upgrade.

So, yea after a long and hard decision I've decided to give AMD another chance, since after my first AMD cpu burned out faster than it takes to get me to get out the door for school.

I'm currently on the market for an Athlon64 3200+ L1 64kb L2 512kb ($212) or Athlon64 3400+ L1 64k L2 1MB ($290) or (just an) Athlon64 3500+ L1 64kb L2 512kb ($350). I'm not sure which one I should aim to get.

On the poll the 1st choice cost around $369, the 2nd around $377, and the 3rd around $350.

So if anybody knows any deals that or places where I can get that and a good motherboard for it cheaper with free shipping it would help me out greatly.

I could sling for a different and cheaper but good motherboard for the Athlon64, but with preferably a 3 DDR ram 184pin slots and audio. Suggestions on a different good motherboard would be great too.

Is there really a big difference in performance between the 3200+, 3400+ and 3500+?

I'm very fickle when it comes to buying computer parts as you may notice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially someone experienced in computers.
(I hope kev reads this, since I think he knows his AMD stuff)

Signature

All Hail Justin: yergheigh
xXLordxOsirisXx: maybe *___*

cyberstorm

cyberstorm

Error Remaker

If you want to really be sure what you are choosing and such i'd recommend to either visit www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com both are great sites often with lengthy reviews/articles about the newest stuff; i voted to get the slowest cpu with the asus board, but i don't know if there are any better boards out there (i'm currently not as *in* on the comp market as I used to be).

And I doubt that you'll feel any difference between the processors if you aren't running heavy encoding and such (if that's the case intel is still better) and you'll probably appreciate the extra space the 80Gb hard drive provides more than you'll appreciate the mariginal speed difference between the processors...

Signature
"Be normal and the crowd will accept you, be deraged and they will make you their leader..." - Christopher Titus

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

The Serial ATA thing is an early decision - that technology isn't spread enough to let you carry such a disk to friends for data exchange. And 80 GB is way too little. You should buy at least 200 GB. I have Athlon 1800+, 2 years old, and I have a 120 GB one. So don't embarrass yourself with the 80 GB tinie.

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

cyberstorm

cyberstorm

Error Remaker

I bought a comp for about 7 months ago with sata, and i don't see a reason (except that it won't fit in all your friends comps) to not buy SATA since it's more stable and is the standard that will *replace* pata/ide; i'd say aim for the future rather than look in the past ^_^'

And I agree, if you can, buy a 200Gb instead. That is if you have use for that much storage, it's about 120$-150$ and definately it has better price/GB ratio :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the only difference between the 3200+ and the 3400+ is the L2 cache that's twice as large on the second one, they're working on the same speed... :D

Signature
"Be normal and the crowd will accept you, be deraged and they will make you their leader..." - Christopher Titus

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

If ur fickle about prices, buy em off newegg.com

im voting for option 2 cuz it means like the right choice

also..go buy me one too, i need to build a new comp XD

Signature

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

I'm going to have to go with option 1. I actually recently built my own computer using the 64 +3200. Try your hardest to get the ClawHammer version though. It is 0.2 GHz slower, but has twice the cache...which is more important when doing stuff like editing pics *poke poke* I have also been reading that the NewCastle ones (that run at 2.2GHz with half the L2 cache) have been running a bit hot.
Regarding the motherboard; I got myself the Neo-FIS2R. It includes 5.1 sound, a nic, and just about everything but video, regarding cards.
About the HDD...you should definitely bump up the gigage (which became a word just as I wrote it), but don't go for the 200gb ones. Only go up to 120gb, because after 120gb, then you have to start messing around with the bios in order for the computer to recognize it...this process can get kinda messy and etc etc. Basically...just go for the 120gb (sata of course).
And like Osiris, I'm going to have to recommend newegg.com. They almost always have the best pricing and tend to have free FedEx shipping for most parts.
^,^

PS About the +3200...there are (or at least were) two versions selling; the ClawHammer (2.0GHz with 1MB L2 cache) and the NewCastle (2.2GHz with 512kb L2 cache). I VERY much recommend getting the ClawHammer, even if it means buying it OEM and with a different CPU fan. This is of course especially true if you plan on overclocking it...in which case you'd get past the 2.2GHz mark anyway.

Much thanks to KenshinFFX for the avatar!

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

I appreciate the help everyone. I'm still deciding but I think I'm going to take the 3rd choice off that list, but I think I'm leaning more towards the 1st choice.

Quote by Protista
PS About the +3200...there are (or at least were) two versions selling;
the ClawHammer (2.0GHz with 1MB L2 cache) and the NewCastle (2.2GHz
with 512kb L2 cache). I VERY much recommend getting the ClawHammer,
even if it means buying it OEM and with a different CPU fan. This is of
course especially true if you plan on overclocking it...in which case
you'd get past the 2.2GHz mark anyway.

I don't plan to overclock it and if I do any type of editting it mainly has to deal with Photoshop and that's not often and no video editting for me. :D Should that still matter much with the 1MB L2 cache? If anything, I'll be playing video games on it.

Signature

xtigy

xtigy

The Lonely Wanderer

Quote by OsirisIf ur fickle about prices, buy em off newegg.com

im voting for option 2 cuz it means like the right choice

also..go buy me one too, i need to build a new comp XD

Yes Newegg is one of the best place to buy computer hardware b/c they have good prices and free shipping.

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Newegg.com and ZipZoomFly.com prices are usually neck and neck. Sometimes Newegg has better prices than ZipZoomFly and sometimes ZipZoomFly has better prices than Newegg. Both have free shipping, except for when you buy a computer case.

Signature

cyberstorm

cyberstorm

Error Remaker

I agree with Protista's reasoning on why to go with the Clawhammer instead of the Newcastle, you'll need the cache more when handling pictures than you'll need the speed because clock frequency almost explicitly helps encoding nowadays, that's because it's a linear process that don't have much use for cache if the cache isn't über-huge (like on the Intel EE processors)...

However, I have never experienced any troubles with my 200Gb SATA-drive (Plug & Play literary) and according to my memory that was only old mobos with ata100 - not modern though - (and below) that had troubles with harddrives larger than 120Gb that forced you to flash the bios or even replace the mobo and I would strongly suggest going for a 200Gb if you need the space since it has the best GB/price ratio :)

And the motherboard that Protista recommended is an MSI motherboard... XD

Signature

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

Don't worry about the overclocking. The ClawHammer is still better all around. I mean...you are losing 0.2GHz for twice the cache. You do the math.
About the hdd...i have never experienced that first hand so I won't bother defending it. Just something I did a little research on, though I am not surprised if it is outdated or anything like that.
And last but not least...the mobo I recommended is in fact an MSI...just a different model *poke poke*
Oh, I forgot to mention this the first time. Don't bother spending twice the price if you are only going to end up with an extra 0.2-0.4GHz. It really isn't worth it. I'd say that the +3200 is the best bang for the buck, and it is still a pretty "current" chip, so you shouldn't have to worry about being outclassed for another few years, which is usually the time that you'd get a new computer anyway. As an example...I'll you my computer ^_^
It took me about 3 minutes to install Windows XP Pro. That is opposed to the normal half to full hour that it takes other ("new") computers that I have worked with. It takes me anywhere from between 3-10 seconds to boot my computer. Of course, I am quite proud of my new computer. I moved off of an old HP e-pc running at 800MHz. That computer took me about half an hour just to boot up and log on with Windows 2000 Pro *sobs while clutching heart*
And I'll stop boring you with my computer stories...Good luck choosing!
^,^

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Ok, change of plans. I can get the the Athlon64 3400+ 1MB L2 (clawhammer) with choice #1 along with a 200gig sata hdd, but now I'm thinking should I give Intel's new pinless lga775 540 3.2ghz a try? It has 1mb L2 cache and some of the motherboards for it use the new PCI-Express. Or should I just go with the Athlon 64 3400+?

If my memory serves me correctly the 3400+ is also 2.2ghz or should I still go for the 3200+. I also don't buy OEM versions of main components for computers. I never really trusted them. I can't find the 3200+ retail version anywhere.

Either way, if I go for AMD or Intel's chip I'll still be getting the 200gig sata hdd. Remember the most intensive processing my computer will be doing is on video games.

Signature

KurriKlown

KurriKlown

-wants Mr. Tadakichi-

If you're a gamer, I'd definitely go for the AMD system. Even without the pci-express.

The 1Mb cache 3400+ runs at 2.2Ghz (Newcastle 3400+ @ 2.4Ghz), that's right. The 1Mb 3200+ is being phased out and that's probably the reason they're hard to find now.

Or otherwise just give the 512Kb cache newcastle 3400+ a go.. there's really not that much difference between the extra cache or the extra megahertzes.. only noticeable in benchmarks anyway.

Signature

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

Ya, definitely AMD over the new Intel...even over the "old" intel for that matter. I'm still gonna stick with the ClawHammer over NewCastle decision though. If you want to look at it logically...you can't increase the cache, but if worst comes to worst, you can always overclock it. And luckily to those who don't have too much experience with overclocking, the MSI mother board/bios comes with a neat little feature that allows for "dynamic overclocking". This basically overclocks for you. What is really great about it, is that when you don't need the extra speed, the bios automatically reduces the speed to factory specs. I could list you all the other cool stuff that the bios does, but I think that it's all listed on MSI's website.
^,^

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Quote by ProtistaYa, definitely AMD over the new Intel...even over the "old" intel for
that matter. I'm still gonna stick with the ClawHammer over NewCastle
decision though. If you want to look at it logically...you can't
increase the cache, but if worst comes to worst, you can always
overclock it. And luckily to those who don't have too much experience
with overclocking, the MSI mother board/bios comes with a neat little
feature that allows for "dynamic overclocking". This basically
overclocks for you. What is really great about it, is that when you
don't need the extra speed, the bios automatically reduces the speed to
factory specs. I could list you all the other cool stuff that the bios
does, but I think that it's all listed on MSI's website.
^,^

So, you're telling me that theorhetically all I have to do is go to the bios and go to the "dynamic overclocking" area and raise some numbers and it increases the voltages and such for me? And if I were to lets say stop playing a video game, it will then lower itself back to factory settings, so but when I did play a game again it would raise the settings once more? Also what happens if you were to overclock is too much? It lowers itself too? I'm kind of confused on the "dynamic overclocking" feature," since I'm not the overclocking type person myself. -_-'

You have the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R Via K8T800 that sells for about $113?

Signature

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

Ya...pretty much like that. There are SOME dangers still. Like...it won't slow it down if it's overheating, but it will shut ur computer down if it is. There are also different levels of overclocking that you can allow it to. So, if you only want to allow it to oc by 1% then that's an option...i believe the highest setting is 15%. Again, you don't NEED to oc. 2.2GHz is alot more than people think. It is more likely that your wat is going to be slowing down your computer anyway. I play pretty new games at the highest setting with the factory settings on my +3200 and rarely get slowdown in the first place anyway. Don't worry about oc'ing, no biggie
^,^

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Would you recommend the MSI K8N Neo Platinum, more so than the K8T or just stick with the K8T?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241132

Oh one last question, how well is the Athlon64 at multitasking? Considering the fact that I'll be getting the 3400+? (clawhammer)

Signature

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

MODS DELETE THIS POST. I somehow double posted XD

Signature

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

Um...I may have put a lot of research into it (months and months)...but there are things out there that I don't know. I have never used the Platinum boards, so I can't say how good they are. All I know is the Neo-FIS2R, which has been great for me so far.
I'm going to assume that you are getting an AMD system...so lemme warn you. They have this new CPU locking system that requires you to put some kind of brace on the back of the mobo so that you can screw in the fan. Just make sure you do that before screwing the mobo into the case. (I had unfortunately made this mistake myself...and I only feel that I have to pass this info on to keep others from doing the same.)
^,^

Fujimiya-kun

Icha-Icha's Reader

IS N-force 3 fChipset or the athlon 64 already out...???

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

Um...the Athlon 64 has been out for a "long" time now...I know that long is relative with computers, but I think it's been at least a year.
^,^

cyberstorm

cyberstorm

Error Remaker

I think it's a typo: "IS N-force 3 fChipset or the athlon 64 already out...???" should be "IS N-force 3 fChipset for the athlon 64 already out...???"

And the answer to that is that the new one (dual channel (?) and what else) is not out, but if you are interested in the old one (150/250) gigabyte have done a couple of mobos with those chipsets on for AMD A64 :)

Signature

KurriKlown

KurriKlown

-wants Mr. Tadakichi-

Quote by cyberstorm
And the answer to that is that the new one (dual channel (?) and what
else) is not out, but if you are interested in the old one (150/250)
gigabyte have done a couple of mobos with those chipsets on for AMD A64
:)

You're wrong there. The socket 939 with nforce 3-chipset is already out, and has been for at least a month or two.
The mobo's are a bit hard to find, that's true.. and we here only have an MSI and a Gigabyte version to choose from at the moment. Of which the MSI Neo Platinum 2 is the only affordable one :)

Signature

Fujimiya-kun

Icha-Icha's Reader

Sorry about that!

I've heard the news that nforce 4 Chipset will be release on 2005 ,and it's come with N Nvidia soundstorm 2,preapare you'reself again,dude^^

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.