Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 anime english name changes......do they annoy you? - Minitokyo

anime english name changes......do they annoy you?

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 84 total items

I much perfer to have all the original name, een if i cant pernounce them. Changing the name also changes the story and how it fits together to be what the original writer made it.

Game programmer and Anime freak

WMagnus

WMagnus

The Last G1 Destron

Of Course I hate it! It's annoying and really unnecesary. The worst case I know is the Detective Conan dub for South America.
Terrible, just terrible.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

cifiryn

cifiryn

~ Erase & Rewrite ~

Oh yea! It annoys the crap out of me! :angry:

I don't understand the point of it either... if it is a super-uber weird name, then ok... but when it is a "normal" or an easy names, then what's the point?!

Charmaynard

Charmaynard

The Best Part Of Waking Up

Yeah, for instance, Zoro's name from one piece was changed to Zolo. What's the point? Zoro would have worked just fine!

Try The Lizard, You'll Love It.

they mostly do bother me, yeah
sometimes it's okay, though i'm hard pressed to think of any exceptions

pn0yvstyle

pn0yvstyle

The Terror of Death

hate it when they do that.

YES! its very irritating and unfit to the character.

arashiyuki

arashiyuki

Sparkly Bishounen~*

I find it extremely irritating, though obviously moreso when they completely change the names of the characters themselves, as oppsoed to merely the series title.

"Chire, senbonzakura"

WAI, Byakuya-sama <3 <3 <3

Rella

Rella

Tsukihime

Some really annoy the hell out of me but some I could stand. I prefer they don't dub it at all though. I don't like 4Kids.

Signature
Newest Wallpaper: Anyone and Anything XD

I find it very annoying , I fing it very hard to search for it

The Future Remains A Mystery, Hidden In A Great Cloud Of Unknowing

if i'd never seen the original, the name change would not annoy me.
on the other hand, if i'm already used to the original names, it would bother me a lot

american people cant pronounce anything.

clueless-saint

clueless-saint

Lovely Delight

I love anime.....but when it's translate into other language it just not interested anymore.........better put the subtitles on

Signature Image
Delightful
Im a member of NuGeneration & Negaraku

There are some very good dubs already. Like Samurai Champloo.
And about the names i once had somewhat interesting experience... When watching GITS SAC 1 fansubbed version at the very end (i think last two eps) suddenly characters just had different names (and not english). Since GITS is already complicated enough as it is i must say that it left me in big confusion WTF they are talking about.
I think it is easier to watch anime when from A to Z there are same names, but how you will compare your oppinion and feelings with others when you will talk about Suzane or Mimi or WTFever and your friends about Suzuka? It is a bad thing. The story is violated. English names or not - once it is not original it becomes Evil.

Do they annoy me?! Do you have to ask something like that. Isnt it obvious! Grrr.

spybreak

spybreak

::.or something like that::.

Quote by CharmaynardYeah, for instance, Zoro's name from one piece was changed to Zolo. What's the point? Zoro would have worked just fine!

Sometimes in order for readers to pronounce a name correctly, they have to spell it with an L.

Since R and L are pronounced the same in Japanese, "Zoro" is properly pronounced "Zolo." If it's the English dub and they literally called him "Zoro" (like in Zorro) then that would be the wrong pronunciation, despite the spelling.
The same goes for Kirara, Rui, etc...

But if they change a name completely, it is rather frustrating. Even if it's easier on the viewer, it's still annoying especially if you watch subs/manga and dubs interchangeably.

Signature
^Courtesy of soujiokita! oh uh, hey...are you sure you don't need an eye doctor? ^_~

stoven2005

stoven2005

Toshi-san

aside from being annoying...changing the name takes away from some indepth meanings. many times a character is named a certain way for a reason. the meanings usually match the character.

"Nothing can ever come from being around normal people."

yup.. as in super...
i don,t like english names for the anime coz its wierd and its not good to hear..
they're ruining the character....
bye bye

FredGreg

FredGreg

Cynical pedant.

I agree that it's annoying, but it's any name change to me. Any & all name changes damage the whole anime... it's just... not right, somehow.

One bad one is in Serial Experiments Lain, where Pioneer changed Alice's name to Arisu in the subtitles. 'Alice' is pronounced 'Arisu' by Japanese, but the writer himself says that her name is in fact Alice, not Arisu. http://www.cjas.org/~leng/alice.htm has more information if you want it.

So yeah, either way, the problem is changed names, not Westernised names.

oh yes coz you'll be bothered bec. you dont know the original names ^_^'

darkfirefox

darkfirefox

Spriggan

name changes they annoy the hell out of me, why dont they just leave anime in its original form, name changes disrupt the way the creators wanted the anime to be seen. it disrupts the personality of the characters the creators wanted to convey. i really dont care if i cant pronounce the name in its original form.

Signature
The ever beautiful Rabi en Rose

From what I have learned about anime in the past decade or so of active watching is this. They only change names in shows that will appear on TV in America. I don't know what they do in other countries. I know that over in Japan, anime and Manga are dime a dozen and nobody really cares(I lived there). What I hate isn't just changing them, but the way some fan subbers or anime fans butcher the names to fit what they think the pronounciation is. For example Guts in Berserk-In Japan, a person that knows english well will pronounce it guts. People elsewhere(here in America at least) tend to spell and pronounce the way that many Japanese would(not out of choice, but because of their accent), Gats, Gutsu, Gatsu. Now, this only really applies to those names given in the animes that aren't originally Japanese(I think they know how to pronounce their own words). I just don't like people that don't pronounce or spell something right because they think they know better. As for the names in mainstream stuff(I tend to shy away from mainstream anime anyway), as long as the original creator agrees to it(which they may have a say), I see no problem with it.

Media companies do this so that the anime property is more accessable to the local audience. Sure it causes a little confusion - and sometimes they overstep, but these changes help their business and there is no arguing that. If your target audience cannot pronounce the name of a character - they won't get behind them.

The Japanese media companies published the animes to make money in the first place - so localizing names to encourage sales is exactly what the Japanese and local media companies want.

It's good to spread culture, and I like it when they keep some original names - but localization is necessary. It makes the companies profitable enough to continue to produce the series we all enjoy so much.

Diamond-dreams

Diamond-dreams

Ai & Yuki

you can give me a thousand reasons for the names to be changed, but in my opinion I prefer the original ones. I also prefer everything on their original language (plus subtitles in my language, of course!) I don't know, I just feel more comfortable this way,

page 3 of 4 « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 84 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.