Drugs: What would you do about them?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 44 total items

Cancel

I'm sure many people will have noticed that our society has problems with the abuse of recreational drugs. What do you think society should do about it? If you were in charge, what would you do?

(I will defer my contribution, so as not to claim first post advantage by starting the thread.)

Iyako

Iyako

Apathetic Insolence

Cancel

I think the government should stop giving them money to buy the drugs....I guess

"Memories can be forgotten, but cannot be erased"- Iyako

johngimen

johngimen

E.Y.A.I.M.

Cancel

kids, STAY AWAY FROM drugs (adult too)

follow ur heart, abandon ur brain
i aint that smart, but ill keep what i gain

Cancel

most drugs were medical inventions, many as pain relievers. Horoin was created as a treatment for cocaine adicts. Drugs get you nowhere...they really do nothing for you.

Signature Image

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

Cancel

It's a problem if stated as such, cause gov't doesn't make a profit. (but how do they profit you ask?)

Well, kidz love to experiment, so drugz are the answerz. (its quick and easy to give up monetary items as trade value)

Drugs solve nothing, but they can make you do things that you normally wouldn't do - like visit a neighbor naked. ^_^ (depends on dose)

i'm sleepy, gnite

-repeat-

• Oct 23, 2005

Mizuna

Mizuna

Lazy

Cancel

Recreational or Pharmaceutical, the psychological and physical effects keep em' coming back for more. Its cool to use drugs now, and society has basically accepted that ill logic. Can't do much except have places that will help the people that do seek help. Trying to force a large number of people out of it by cracking down and raiding houses/buildings will basically cause a riot. However, you can beat the shit out the people closest to you that are looking into trying such things.

On a side note, several high dose pain killers and a bottle of vodka is looking good at the moment, lower back feels like all the discs are out of place.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..."

"One of life's greatest gifts, the gift of making a mistake."

• Oct 23, 2005

miaowmiaowmiaow

miaowmiaowmiaow

In pursuit of a glorious dream.

Cancel

Quote by Stephen Lynch...As I burn them alive I would squeal with joy
'cause I would be Drug-Free Boy

I agree with Mizuna... We allow people their own choices but we can't let them down when they seek for help. From drugs. Not burn them alive. Try to jail the perpetrators. Try to discipline the abusers. With their own experience.

"Truth is relative"
A statement which is relatively true...

• Oct 23, 2005
Cancel

well ... you may have not noticed but the topic drugs is actually a very philosophical one and i tell you why. you are talking about drugs like weed, cocain, heroin, lsd and whatever. i think it would be much more interesting to talk about drugs in general. ... i'll give you an example: for those of you who use the computer at least 3 hours a day for playing games or whatever, have you ever tried to NOT use the computer for a certain amount of time, like ... 3 weeks? how did that feel or how do you think will it feel?

another example: for those of you who eat a lot of chocolate or sweet things with a lot of sugar. ever tried not to eat them for like ... 3 weeks? ever noticed that you come to a point where you say "if i dont eat a piece of chocolate right now i'll go crazy?" ... the same goes for caffeine.

another example: for those who do a lot of sport. now everybody knows that when you do a lot of sport you feel somehow better after that. well be sure it's not because you think "oh dude i did something good for my body" ... it's because your body is doing some hard work spreading some hormones in your body that make you happy plus a big amount of air you're breathing in. ... have you ever thought about the fact that air can make you high? there is even medication where this kind of "drug" is used.

another example: for those who are fat and eat a lot ... defenitively that's the worst because there is always the moment of not being saticefied of that what you have eaten. you want more, you want to try everything that's on the table, you want to eat everything up that's on your plate and even then you would like to ask for more. ... your lucky because it's only food but normaly those a symptoms of a person being addicted so something.

and there is even another form of addiction that goes from a very psychological point of view. a lot of people like some kind of moments in which there body releases hormones, doesnt matter if that's sex, driving superfast on the highway, falling into deep depression and whatever you can think of. some people do it because they know that when they do it it makes them somehow happy or feeling different. but that's a bit more complicated i think so i cannot describe it to you that good.

but as you can see, everything you get used to can turn out to be an addiction, thus it is a drug and in the end we realise that if we had not those "drugs" or those natural hormones that make us happy at some times then the world would be a very sad place to live in. and people who take drugs like the drugs you've talked about are just people who are being stupid spending money for stuff that destroys them and their life. but remember ... this goes for everything that you get really addicted to. you start to ignore people who dont have your same interest. you start spending all your money for one certain purpose and you know that it makes you sick but you dont care because for the moment of enjoying your "drug" you feel good. ... doesnt matter if the drug is money, food, religion, computers, music or whatever.

i think people should realise that everything can be a drug if you take an overdose of that what you're normaly used to until you need more to feel better because the old dose does not have the same effect as before. so it would be a very wrong thing to forbid drugs because then one day there will be a man who will interprate the whole drug thing as i do and then your lifes will change so drastically that you wish you'd have never said that. everyone is responsable for her-/himself!

EDIT: if you wanna watch a good movie about drugs you should watch "requiem for a dream" and if you want to watch a funny movie about drugs you should watch "trainspotting".

• Oct 23, 2005
Cancel

Quote by SharinganKnightDrugs get you nowhere...they really do nothing for you.

What about, say, taking caffeine in order to complete something that urgently needs to be done when you're sleepy? That's actually an officially recommended way of dealing with tiredness when driving a long way.

Psychedelics can be useful for gaining new insights into the world, due to the tendency for the human brain to place restrictions on its own thought processes, which may have been useful in the environment in which it evolved, but aren't useful in the modern world. Alcohol is good for your health in moderation.

You need to be careful when making generalisations.

Quote by MizunaIts cool to use drugs now, and society has basically accepted that ill logic.

Has there ever been a time at which it hasn't been? I can't immediately think of any non-primitive society which didn't have mainstream drug use, alcohol being a particularly pervasive example.

Quote: Can't do much except have places that will help the people that do seek help.

Actually, I think there's a lot more you can do, but I'll go into that later.

Quote: However, you can beat the shit out the people closest to you that are looking into trying such things.

Um, do you mean that literally?

Quote by miaowmiaowmiaowTry to jail the perpetrators.

What exactly do you mean by "perpetrator"?

Quote by GOMFwell ... you may have not noticed but the topic drugs is actually a very philosophical one and i tell you why. you are talking about drugs like weed, cocain, heroin, lsd and whatever. i think it would be much more interesting to talk about drugs in general. ... i'll give you an example: for those of you who use the computer at least 3 hours a day for playing games or whatever, have you ever tried to NOT use the computer for a certain amount of time, like ... 3 weeks? how did that feel or how do you think will it feel?

You're talking about dependency. You can become dependent on pretty much anything, but some drugs create something far stronger by directly changing the way your brain works. That is addiction. It's an important observation that only some drugs are addictive, one which people sometimes forget. You'll even get some people thinking that cannabis is addictive!

Anyway.

What I think we need is regulation and consistency. It's amazing that the only recreation drug that's regulated to any significant degree is tobacco. I think you can divide them into three categories:

Harmless unless you're stupid: Things like caffeine and cannabis

Harmless or mostly harmless as long as you're careful: Things like alcohol and most psychedelics

Always or almost always harmful: Things like tobacco and heroin.

For the first category, all you really need is information about effects and correct usage to be included, and probable restrictions on selling to children.

For the second category, you want promotion restrictions, (must promote only responsible usage, no special offers and so forth), no selling to children, and the information to be displayed rather more prominently, as well as taxation to increase the price and fund the dealing with any damage which might be caused when they are abused, and regulations on the type of research that can be commercially performed.

Things in the third category could be dealt with on a case by case basis, all with absolutely no promotional activity allowed and unmissable warnings, plenty of information including resources for combatting addiction, as well as strong restrictions on how and where exactly it can be sold, and even more taxation. But there is always a balance to be struck there, because if you restrict and tax it to the degree that it becomes worthwhile for the criminal world to supply it, then your attempts at regulation fly out of the window.

Any prohibition, of course, fails completely on two accounts; it violates the principles of a free society, and in fact it actually leads to a completely unregulated market, and so fails catastrophically. (The first could well be said to be responsible for the second.)

And then consistency. Which boils down mostly to telling children the truth about drugs, instead of presenting them with a massively distorted picture, so when they go out into the real world, they see that they have been taught about them accurately and so continue to trust in the information, instead of throwing it all out once they notice how it doesn't seem to match reality. And of course, if people understood that alcohol is far more dangerous than cannabis, we might get people using cannabis instead of alcohol on a Friday night, which would improve the situation by several degrees.

greatdragon

Mr. Doom

Cancel

winners don't play with drugs

There's No place like hell

• Oct 26, 2005

wings

wings

~~Silent Killer~~

Cancel

my first thought was: just burn it
but my second thought was: give them to your enemy and when they're high, ATTACK :)

Signature

• Oct 26, 2005
Cancel

bann them, all they do is ruin peoples family

• Oct 26, 2005

Sallyf322

Sallyf322

*_Amateur Guitarist_*

Cancel

I think if I had the power to, I would ban drugs for use other than for medical purposes. Drugs do nothing but kill the human system and shorten loved ones' lives...so why should they stay? Those who oppose me will just have to deal with it or emigrate, I suppose (it's quite a harsh thing to do, but it's only for their personal health).

"If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, then we'd see the day...when nobody died. I'm singing amen I, amen I, I'm alive." - Nickelback: "If Everyone Cared."

If only, if only, the world were like this. If only, if only, it only existed.

cardknight

Card Alchemist

Cancel

it depends actually. when it was use the good way (as in medicine for sickness) then that's a good thing. but when it's used the bad way (i.e. addiction), well, i'll get rid of it if i have the power to do so.

soul meets soul on lovers' lips

• Oct 27, 2005
Cancel

as part of the core of my personality, drugs are of course good and bad. drugs used for proper medical purposes were a great invention. long ago when there were no pain killers or sedatives if they had to lets say amputate a limb they just gave you something to bite down on while they cut it off >.< with the invention of these drugs it has made life better for millions of people. then you got certain drugs that are used for medical reasons but are also abused e.g. morphine, steroids. and finally you have your illegal drugs that exist only to make money and cause people to suffer and die.
all drug abuse is an insult to those who spent their lives developing drugs for medical purposes and to help people.

• Oct 27, 2005

DicloniusLucy

DicloniusLucy

UltimaWarrior

Cancel

um....drugs are bad..umkay?
once a person has started dow nthe stoner path, the only things that will make them stop are forceful intervention or death. the best thing to do is stop it b4 it starts.......and i dont mean parents take the drugs from your kids and smoke it yourselves......tell your kid about it at an early age....some grow out of stonerness though...as if its a fad.....

~~O Castitatis Lilium~~
-For Lucy

• Oct 27, 2005

mitchell

mitchell

Dragonfly789

Cancel

burn all the drugs.....

Signature

Anime Currently Watching:- Haruhi Suzumiya - Dragonball Z - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Games Currently Playing:- Final Fantasy IX/XIII - Star Ocean The Last Hope - Oblivion GOTY

gittguff

gittguff

I'm still here! Hallo?

Cancel

that's right. when they need help, then help them.
Some of my old buddy was one of them and she is kinda scary some times.
all of us friends needed to act or she could dead.

• Oct 27, 2005

greatdragon

Mr. Doom

Cancel

don't know

There's No place like hell

• Oct 28, 2005
Cancel

I feel it sounds a little cynical - but not everyone can be helped after all. There`s the profit motive for the dealers, and there is the influence of people surounding the individual with the problem - whether that be the parents or peers. Someone is going to take them and there isn`t much we can do.

And just a small point - until only a while ago, personally I considered these people, I`m sorry to say, as stupid. However, now after a discussion with someone else, that some people are born into this circumstances that may be a cause for them to take drugs. I hope more people will realise this.

- This Free Life Crisis -

Syngo

Syngo

Laughing in my head 24/7.

Cancel

Please people, don't be so quick to judge a drug until you yourself have experienced and acknowledged what the drug is and what it did to you. Telling yourself never to try it is setting a limitation on your own life. Drugs should bea choice, not something forbidden or hated by people. It all depends on whether you control the drug, or it controling you.

• Oct 28, 2005

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Cancel

I don't see that it's the government problem. Cut all socialized health care for non-government-employees and non-military-benefit-recipients, and then it is no longer the problem of the general public since it will no longer be their money paying for the effects of these drugs.

I am invincible!

• Oct 29, 2005

b3nitora

b3nitora

Rehab is for Quitters!!

Cancel

Well, I'm sure most of you wont like my answer to what I would do with drugs!...Id take 'em! All of 'em! LOL! Im bad! >_<

Signature
"I said No to drugs, but they would'nt listen."

Cancel

drugs are nice...they make you forget ..(the only problem its...if you turn addictive to them )

frustration,friendly,envy,emptiness, unhapyness,unbrearable,Love,hatred, agony,dark,lonely,and in pain
you can all die..nobody cares.i'll enjoy

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 44 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.