Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 First time posting a wallie on the net. - Minitokyo

First time posting a wallie on the net.

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

RengekiShin

RengekiShin

-LoneRedWolf-

http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kingdomheartsinbetween8ex.jpg

So here's a wallie I made recently. I just started learning how to make simple wallpapers recently, so all I can do for backgrounds at the moment is simple Abstract and Grunge stuff, nothing too advanced. Mind you, I'm having my exams right now, just decided to drop by MT and whoa, lots of changes from MT2.

*cough* Ehem, so right here is a Kingdom Hearts wallpaper I made a few days ago..Total number or layers I used, about 25 I suppose. Made in PS CS2, firstly, clouds, then painted over the BG on multiple layers, as carefully as I can. Then merged all the layers, and created new layers where I applied gradient effects, also changing the layer transparency till I see fit. And then rendered two different images, both of Kingdom Hearts, one of Riku and one of Sora, and I suppose you'd know the rest n_n" Oh and so I won't be killed or anything - I got the images from

http://www.ffinsider.net

Comments would be highly appreciated =) So I can improve if possible.

Edit - I know its a bit small, I'll fix it later..><
Edit2 - Fixed, kinda..I'll work on making better walls..can't get any good scans ><

Signature

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

just image tags will do

such as [ img] and [/ img] (no spaces)

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/6533/kingdomheartsinbetween9jn.th.jpg

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

There are numerous white lines on the edges of the scan; you probably used the magic wand tool for the extraction. I know you're a beginner, but using the magic wand tool does not result in the best of extractions. A time-lengthening but sure way to get an exceptional extraction is to use either the polygonal lasso tool or the pen tool (the pen tool is the most precise tool to use for extraction). The background has a decent abstract design to it. However, the scans lack in the quality that they should have as I see bits of pixelation and graininess through them. You'd probably need a cleaning tutorial to clean out the scans a bit, and them some, meaning that you'd have to manually clean out the remaining areas. All will come in due time when you try to improve yourself. :)

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Tokitoh

Tokitoh

onmyoji

Well, it's not bad for the first wall. =) As for the flaws:
- the bg is nice, but it just doesn't fit the charas. I don't know why exactly I don't like how the whole composition looks, I just don't. 0_o The bg is just... too blue, too purple and too FraxFlame-ish. ^^' The extraction is no that terrible (I've seen worse), but the quality of the scans is bad. I am sure you can do a much better job. :)

Signature

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Well I can't believe nobody has said anything about the text yet... I don't repeat what others have said so I'll get right into it :)

The text is a bit distracting. It's huge, it's grey and it's kinda boring except for the fontface. The Kingdom hearts is placed well but the Darkness? and Light? Are random. It looks messy- just get rid of it.
And the in between.

To solve that "white stuff" you can use the colour burn tool and go over it. It's a button 2 buttons below the brush button on Photoshop. If there is no hand, right click on it and there should be a colour burn. Select that and go over the edges. It will only work for this time because you have a dark background. It will not work for other times so next time do a smooter extraction.

The brush work is done well and the colours are also pretty good :)
There's not much else to say about this but you have potential to improve :nya: kudos!

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

RengekiShin

RengekiShin

-LoneRedWolf-

Haha, thanks for the comments and advices guys/girls n_n"..I'll get correcting soon! And then maybe I'll post a corrected version >< If I can get better scans...and if I ever figure out how the pen tool works >_>"

Signature

tevi

tevi

Misa's evil twin

Hey there ^^ The pen tool's not too hard to learn... There are some good tutorials out there on out how outline... I'm not sure about extraction... I know Misa wrote one for extraction, but I have no idea where it is... But basically if you learn how to outline, extraction is only a variation of it [like, instead of stroking a line, you use the selection option - that will make sense if you learn how to outline using the pen tool]

Okay, on to uh, commenting...

Scan :

Uh, don't know if it's just me, but I think the scan's a bit blurry to start with... I know everyone's mentioned the extraction, so I'll skip that... I'd probably play around with hue and saturation for a bit, until the colours of the scan are a bit less bright... Generally, it's not likely that you'll find a wallpaper with bright yellow anywhere... Because for people with extra-bright screens, it's blinding... If you found a wall that hurt your eyes, you wouldn't use it, right?

Also, you realise, you *can* modify the scan... There's no rule saying that you have to keep the original. If you have to, re-colour their clothes so that you won't have as many problems working on the background and background colours.

And I'm not sure about the use of two characters... It's a bit too "full", if you ask me... But it is quite interesting with the balance... Hmm... The only problem that two characters presents is the fact that it's difficult to have them interacting... Especially if they're just standing, like in your wallpaper. This means that you'll end up resorting to the generic "place one on the RHS, place one on the LHS"... Which is a tad boring...

Choice of Colour :

Okay, most people don't use many colours together... Because it creates a weird clash usually... And generally, lots of colours means that there's no focal point for the image. Anyway, it's usually not a good idea to use colours from opposite ends of the colour wheel [<3 colour wheel]... For instance, the yellow in the scan... Would mean that *I* wouldn't use purple. Because yellow contrasts very well with purple... If you'd like to see what I mean, visit BakaShinigami... Great gallery, but he likes his contrast... Unfortunately, as you'll see, it's a bit painful on the eyes.

So, as a rule of thumb, use the colours that are already in the scan. If you want to create a focal point, use contrast, or use white [And I don't mean fake-white... I mean, pure white]... As long as you don't force everyone to turn their monitors down for them to look at the wallpaper.

For me, I'd use the dark blue of LHS guy's pants... And maybe a darker version of RHS guy's red clothes... And I would re-colour the yellow... Maybe change it to a more golden/brown yellow.

Background :

It's a bit generic, but I like the shapes... The only thing I'd have against it is that horrible light blue. Because it's mostly dark on the LHS, you really notice that the bottom RHS is empty, and blindingly bright. Anyone using Windows would have their time thingy there, so it's not a good place for a bright anything to be... Most people would put the brighter area at the top RHS, because most people don't look there [I say most, because I have quite a number of icons up there myself, so I'd be blinded regardless of where the bright spot is... @_@]

Uhm, dark backgrounds are good... Because they bring out the characters better. It's a good idea to make the character/s the point of focus, because well, they're the reason why you're making the wall... Unless it's a scenic... But yours clearly isn't a scenic.

Text :

I'm in agreement with Misa... The text is just... Bad. Your wall should say everything you need, and the text really should just reinforce it... But not shove it in everyone's face... 'kay? And the fact that your font doesn't match with the font in the KH bit, it looks very weird. I agree with Misa, delete it. That will mean that you'll have a less cluttered wall. If you do a "busy" wallpaper, it's not a good idea to put too much text... Otherwise, it's just a full-on mass of signals from the wallpaper, and people go all @_@

Useability :

Like I said, the colours kind of reduce its useability... But having two characters on each side also adds to that... Because most people keep their icons on one side or the other... So it'll always cover one of the characters... It's better to have one character in the center, but that might not always work...

Overall :

Uh, sorry, long rant... ^^; And sorry about all the talk about blinding... I'm kind of myopic, and I don't want my vision to get worse... @_@ [<-- I really love that face] I think, work on extraction, colour selection... Your background elements aren't too bad ^^ Maybe work on originality... Don't do the first idea that comes into your head!

Hope that helps,
Tevi

Signature Image

- same person; no difference at all, just a different sex

RengekiShin

RengekiShin

-LoneRedWolf-

Thanks Tevi! I figured out how to use the pen tool, but I still have to learn how to use it properly n_n" And I think I learned a lot from your 'ranting', thanks again >< *goes back to PS and tries again*

Signature

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

lol tevi spoke of my tutorials:

Sorry about the server--- it is geocities. If you get a missing page go there again in an hour because of the stingy bandwidth. I did upload them onto another unlimited on but they didn't seem to work :)

Hope that helps some more ^_^

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

RengekiShin

RengekiShin

-LoneRedWolf-

Quote by kuroimisalol tevi spoke of my tutorials:

Sorry about the server--- it is geocities. If you get a missing page go there again in an hour because of the stingy bandwidth. I did upload them onto another unlimited on but they didn't seem to work :)

Hope that helps some more ^_^

Thanks a bunch, but when I click on the 2nd link, it says the page requested could not be found @@" So I guess I'll try again later, thanks again!

Signature

Erm...I want to know if modifying a scrn shot frm anime(the video) to make wallpaper is allowed?

RainMin

RainMin

.::Vineva::.

Yes, I believe thats allowed. As long as its not the too obvious that its a screenshot. At least I think so.

If I could choose
I'd choose to be a baby
A Naive baby
Forever a baby...

okie thanks =p

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.