Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tsubasa wall-for improvement - Minitokyo

Tsubasa wall-for improvement

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

animanga

animanga

A Clockwork Fate

::Wings of a Memory::

-This is now the basis for my wallie since it was deleted-
Suggestions for improvement & what is wrong (extraction etc) wanted please.
I'm aware the wings need cleaning, that'll be done soon.
The catch is I have very limited tools & can't do too much from here, but all suggestions welcomed & I'll give it my best shot!
Thanx, seeya!
:)

Signature
My latest works: Mine of Mine * [url=http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/409522]Fool

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

The extraction of the scan is not bad at all, but it could've blended in with the background a bit more by either blurring the edges or extracting with a feather radius of 1 pixel. The wings were totally simple to make because they look as if you just used the polygonal lasso, the paint bucket, and the inner shadow, rendering them completely artificial. The background is also very simple, and it contains the use of the radial blur and a few brushes. The text is far too big, not to mention that it doesn't really belong in the wallpaper. A bit more organization of your elements and planning ahead will help you get the design you are looking for. ;)

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

It looks like the biggest problem here is the wall's simplicity, which is often determined by the bg, which is also one of the important aspects of the wall that mods take a look at. So in addition to working on the extraction you might want to try to have more going on in the bg. Pink is an appropriate color for sakura, but keep in mind that people place walls on their desktops and you don't want to tire out their eyes with too much brightness. Hopefully these aren't outside the realm of possibilities for your limited tools..

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

For your wallpaper, perhaps a bit more preparation should be done before you wall. The scan looks extremely grainy and should be cleaned. Also, the extraction could be improved, along with fixing the entire background to something that fits and compliments the image. As for the font, try downloading some online^.~

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I get straight to the point so don't kill me :P I don't like repeating either ...

no real need for the outer glow >.<
to tell the truth the pink is so saturated >.< I would lower the contrast down or pick a similar colour to what she's wearing because it's just so pink :o
The wings look really uhm >_> Not that great because the lines aren't smooth and sharp enough- it looks like you got some tool to extract or something like an eraser because the lines are just way too not smooth. Get the pentool or something like that to draw them, because the extraction made it look low quality.

To tell the truth I would pass this off as a low effort wall. You simply did a clouds, noise and radial blur- then with some colour and stuff like that, slapped a scan on and then used some text with a shadow blending mode on it. That's not enough- even if you had those snowy looking things I presume you did with a soft edged pixel brush.

My suggestion is that you add either some more abstract effects or whatever to the background- but that's hard considering I don't know what effect you would want on a wall like this.

In conclusion, this is a pretty boring wallpaper... no offence okay- because there is nothing in the background keeping me entertained (I see a gradient, some radial lines and some snow balls... yeah... okay... but that's it) and there is nothing there to show me that you have planned this out, but rather you decided to follow a few tutorials.

Sorry if it sounded harsh okay- but that was just how I felt when I saw it- I know you puts tons of effort into making this, but you'll just need another step more ;)

Kudos! Can't wait when this is updated :P

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Okay... First impression when I saw your wall.. you need to brush up on your pen tool skill ;D extraction need to be improved :D or if you are using the polygonal lasso tool, you should make it a larger resolution so that the extracted version doesnt look... squarish :)

Second of all, the textfont.. you could always download other type of fonts online... maybe like here ^^ or other places, just google it and you will find it :D

Okay... last and most important, background.. If you wanna know why this is rejected, that is mainly bcos of the simple background.. This kinda wall can be done in no time (less than 10 minutes if excluding extraction), and that is why it is considered low effort..
You could try rethinking the background part, or may be improving on this one, maybe by adding some more effects and texture, make it more abstract ^^ try playing with the effects and layers.. make it different and unique so that people will be attracted to it :D

Oh, and clean the scan ^^

Ugh, I realised am damn harsh in giving my comments.. sorry, just being honest >_<
Hope that helps...

Signature

ayaki

ayaki

d[^_^]b

from what i'm looking @ right now, the extraction seems okay :) very clean.
except that the quality of the scan is not that great.
One trick to do it is duplicate the scan layer, set the duplicated layer as "overlay" or "soft light"
then gaussian blur the original layer....just a little....for me max is 5. Then you'll see the scan looks a bit more smoother.
Another way that i use sometimes or when only some parts are a bit bad, is the smudge tool...to smooth out those pixelated areas. This one might takes some time to do. XP
Also, put more thought into making the background...it just look too simple...not enought that would attract me to even clicking it to see it in full-view. I don't think the wings match..it looks too sharp.
u may have limited tool, but everybody have unlimited imagination...so be creative :) that's most important. ^_^ keep it up ne!~

boo

Zerlingo

Zerlingo

Anime Master

Clean, simple but not so much and with a nice image. The background should not be so abstract.

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Well, the extraction isn't bad, just the quality is a little off. But that's not the main problem with this wall, it's the background--it's too simple and too pink. It's just a noise gradient with some dots over it and some text, so for once I can understand why Minitokyo was griping about effort.

Since scenic backgrounds, although they score the most credits, are hella hard, you might want to do a slightly more detailed "abstract" background... maybe with some more colors and brushes.

It would probably do you good to look at some tutorials... some really good ones are here and here. They helped me a lot.

Anyway, I hope that helps you... keep trying, and you'll be able to make a great wall in no time. =)

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

tishdon

tishdon

Lost in Transit

Firstly I have a suggestion, reduce the wall height to 1180. Copy and paste the remaining wall to a 1280x960 wall size. Other then vectoring the wings and resizing the title, the sakura should now appear to fill the entire wall and the blank space above her head shouldn't show. Please just try my suggestion, it really does look a lot better.

While others have commented on the wings being poorly extracted (which is true), I would also say that the wings are badly blurry. It's as if you made the pen tool selection on a 1 - 3 pixel feather value. Either that or the background was made on lower res and stretched. That's the impression I'm getting.

As for the character, she looks washed out. Make her colors more vibrant by adjusting her levels (Hotkey: Ctrl+L).

And give her a 1 pixel stroke and then reduce opacity to give her a more consistent outline.

LunaTsukino

LunaTsukino

the Moon is fascinating...

Hello! ^-^
I can understand you... I was like this simple wallpapers just a few time ago, and thanks to some tutorials websites I have improved my technique so much!

I think there are three big secrets to make good works in Photoshop:
#1) Brushes;
#2) Fonts;
#3) Filters.

If you have knowledge in these three steps, I think you can do everything mixing up with some tutorials... Just don't feel scary to create! ;)

I got the exactly same scan as you and made this wallpaper:
http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/192019/
I hope it can help you with ideas... As I wanted to put the picture in this position, I had to "create" the part of the scan that was missing (a part of Sakura's clothes and Mokona's ear).

Well, hear everybody here... they told you very nice tips! ;)
I'll wait for the transformation! ^-^

Welcome to our Sailor Moon World!!!!! ^-^
Visit us at www.sossailormoon.com.br

Shady14

Shady14

[paranoia.shady]

no offense... but start again :)... it's just plain bad (sorry).

thingperson

thingperson

Elizabeth, Ruler Of All Bishies

I think it was very cool with a good scan in it and i like the background.

All hail Queen Elizabeth, ruler of all bishies. Watch your back, you wanna-be's
My Husband's are Kaname, Tsuna, Ichigo, Naruto, Haji, Hei, Sebastian, Lee-Leng
and that is why my world is of silk sheets, imported champagne, and endless erotic delight..
Signature
	Image VISIT THE userpageskindesignss20-signaturestudiotag-licious AND JOIN US

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by thingpersonI think it was very cool with a good scan in it and i like the background.

First, such comments are considered spam in the Sandbox because they do not help the artist improve.

Second, please do not bump old Sandbox threads because we want new artworks to stay in the front so that members know which to comment on.

Thread closed to reduce clutter.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.