Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Arumi Wallpaper - Tips and help ideas please - Minitokyo

Arumi Wallpaper - Tips and help ideas please

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

ok im doing a wallpaper with my arumi vector, im trying to get something going but i just cant really get much, i had some sort of idea but now i dunno where to go

here is the wallpaper - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/speedfreek20/Wallpapers/Arumi_wall_test3.jpg

Signature Image

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Hello again :)

Firstly

the colours are bad. Grey=boring. Grey+purple=bad.
the text=too big. and I have no idea why it's wrapped around her head. Lookskind of lazy.

You know I would be honest and tell you that the vector was great but why ruin all your hard work and turn it grey? >.<

One thing to keep in mind is whilst a desktop shouldn't be too colourful on your desktop it must have sufficient colour to entice people to download, view and use it... so my suggestion is:

* make that font smaller. Get rid of that thick outline and put in on the left where it's empty. Also if you want her name on the wallpaper, make it even smaller font under the big heading. Kinda strange type of font too. You could try something else not so skinny. I think of something more round. Esp how she looks so cute *pouts*
* make a setting like a bedroom or something and throw a window into the back. This shouldn't be too hard for you since you can vector and know how to use the pentool. Can't draw a window? Google one up and use that picture. I'm sure you'll find something good
* use brushes overall for texture. This is optional and is used at the end.

I can't comment too much on this wallpaper at present because it really isn't finished at all, but I suggest you rethink your background design >_>

merged: 10-29-2005 ~ 09:06am
hope it didn't sound too harsh >.< Just trying to help... judos on posting it up :P

merged: 10-29-2005 ~ 09:06am
* kudos

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

tevi

tevi

Misa's evil twin

Uh, hi there, saw your doujin, and was going to comment, but then I saw you'd made a wall from it... So why waste my time and effort, eh? ^_^;;

Doujin :

Err, no offence, but there really isn't enough shading on her... She looks very 2D because of that, and because she's partially shaded [i.e. hair], she looks quite odd. You should add more shading to bring out the contours in her face, and uh, shadows occur behind where the light is coming from... I'm assuming the top because that's the way your current bits of shading are suggesting. Therefore, where her hand curves, there should be shading underneath... Also, there are areas underneath her fringe which need to be shaded, considering the lighting conditions.

The weird glow you put around her... Or, should I say, shadow... Because it's dark. It doesn't suit the image, as well as looking lazy, and rather silly. Most shadows don't work that way. And, you've done a vector of a doujin. Don't shift between cell-shading and soft-shading... It simply looks lazy.

Choice of Colour :

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of greyscale. It's good for the Gothic feel, and if you vary your shades of grey to include hints of other colours... But this just looks like you took your doujin, changed the colour mode to greyscale... Turned it back to RGB, and did the purple bits. I agree with Misa, it looks lazy.

Also, the focus should be on your character, not the bright purple edges. Therefore, if you wanted to create this effect, the colour would have worked better on the character, in order to create a focus on the character, rather than the edges of the image. And that shade of purple is just... Wrong. It's such a wannabe dark purple... And the light purple... It's... A very weird shade. It's verging on pink. Maybe it's just because I like dark purples [<3 Romans] but I really don't like this shade.

Moreover, huge areas of white are horrible. White space is really only good when you're designing a website or program [<3 white space] but it doesn't work very well on wallpapers, because wallpapers don't ask for consistency, they ask for originality and experimentation.

Background :

Well, there's no background to this really. There's a lack of tecture, lack of movement, lack of interesting features. It's simplism taken to the max. It's just plain boring. I don't care what you do, grunge the background, put some shapes, do some abstract art... Fill it with something.

Text :

Horrible. Big. White. Painfully contrasted with the black. Text. That's it. There is nothing else to say about it. It's chunky, doesn't go with the feel of the image... The outline of the vector is relatively thing, make your text match it. Because you text should integrate with the rest of the image to reinforce your message, rather than stick out like a pig in a candy store... [Wait, do pigs stick out when they're in candy stores? @_@ Okay, bad analogy, but you get the idea]

Useability :

If I were marking this, I'd give you a point for putting the character on the RHS. But Mac'ers wouldn't. Fun. Otherwise, the colours really put me off, and I couldn't stare at the weird clash between white, black, purple and grey... So basically, I probably wouldn't use this on the desktop. Also, because it's so bare, if I did, I'd probably remove it after about 10 minutes because it's boring.

Overall :

I don't know what to say... I think the vector would look nicer in colour, and maybe the background in grey, for the contrast... But you really have to make those decisions for yourself, as an artist.

Good luck, and hope that helps,
Tevi

Signature Image

- same person; no difference at all, just a different sex

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Hmmmm, I already commented on your vector, so lemme comment on your wall too :D

I have to agree with misa, purple+grey= BAD

Okay, I cannot really help you with the idea part, cos I really do not know what kind of wall you are trying to make.. do you wanna make some techno wall, or just simply simple pop art wall or what? You should mention what kind of wall you are trying to make first ;)

As for the wall now... first thing first... the vector that you did doesnt look finished to me.. I think you could improve on the shading, shade more, and as I have mentioned (and other people did too), the hair need more outlines, you should outline everything in the original scan/screenshot/whatever it was, except the shade lines... then you should shade everything accordingly..
The font is too big, but maybe that was because you are trying to fill the wall to make it work.. but I think you could do something else for it.. like, maybe you wanna make it look techy? Put some techy patterns there ;D If you wanna make a scenic wall, make it like she is in the room, or even a scene outside under the bright sun looks quite good with the right background (playground or something)..

Hmmm, actually not much to comment and suggest since you didnt state your direction for this wall.. maybe you should rethink the background part, remake it, and then post the edited version :D
Hope that helps ^_^

Signature

Kuzoku

Kuzoku

Sweet Dreamer

I think if you are aiming for pop art then with a little tweaking it might just work ^_^* Maybe look up on the internet some of the pop art stuff thats out there and see if it inspires you to add some more to your wallie. Good luck and keep trying.

Those who dream sweet dreams forget the pain of yesterday

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.