Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 [*.:.Memoirs of a Geisha.:.*]-(discussion)May contain spoilers. - Minitokyo

[*.:.Memoirs of a Geisha.:.*]-(discussion)May contain spoilers.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

#1 International Bestseller, Memoirs of a Geisha
Summary
In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; when women are trainted to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and trumphant work of fiction-at once romantic,erotic,suspenseful-and completely unforgetable.

I actually purchased the book this afternoon, after dismissel from school. I seemed drawn to it. Not only because it hold japanese history within it, but because i am also interested as to how women entered this so called profession, and how it felt to be them.

I have currently only read up to pages 15, which is the end page of the first chapter. So far, i have cried. Her child hood, so far as i have read it, is extremely tragic, including how her father would not speak to her of her mother. I truthfully relate to this character, Chiyo(Sayuri). My mother passed on when i was about seven, quite younger then she was, and i can understand how she felt, staying with her father, also considering that he would be out during most of the day fishing, and her being practically chained within that home alone without her mother.

So far, i have found that Dr.Miura is an interesting doctor. Storming into the home while the door was opened, and quickly beginning a conversation to unsuspectingly lighten the mood a bit, but only to bring it down much later.

Has anyone here read this book completely, or begun reading it?
I am currently reading the next set of chapters, but would first rather discuss the first one with any readers out there^.^

erm..haven't read it but I think I know the movie....*thinks hard*
nah, by your description, it sounds pretty tragic..
I can't stand tragic stuff...*my heart will start aching in pain*^^

Signature
My Newest Submission:Curse Of The Prosperity God

it's very wonderful story! i learned a lot from there... i've finished reading it from beginning of my second year of high school! ^^

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I read this book several years ago and just recently pulled it off my shelf again because of the forthcoming movie. I really enjoyed the plot. It is a clever story which covers both the life a more historic geisha and the life of a geisha durring the transitional period of War World II. I like the way that historic truism of a geisha's life are neatly combined with creative license to produce an engaging and informative story. After reading it, I found myself sad that the art of geisha is dying. My only real suggestion is to remember that this is a story and therefore fictional in nature.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

maldita42

maldita42

Live for the music

la la! xD!

hi!

Signature

inuyasha-hanyou7

inuyasha-hanyou7

~Dark Demon~

I've read the book and I can't wait to see the movie. It comes out this December. ^_^

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

i've read the book numerous times... (tho it's been awhile since i last read it) it is such a beautifully told story! i can't wait til the movie comes out... tho i saw the trailer and i must say i wish they'd found someone besides Zhang Ziyi to play Sayuri...

Signature Image

i loved the book, but im not really looking foward to the movie after watching the trailer...i thought they could have found a better actress for sayuri, but i dont think theres anything wrong with a chinese actress playing a japanese character...

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.