Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Erementar Gerard Wallpaper - Minitokyo

Erementar Gerard Wallpaper

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

naomi-akiyama

naomi-akiyama

Love Is a Miracle

Since this wallie was rejected, I decided to post it here ^^U
Black and White wallpaper, I got the scan here http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/104816/
Suggestion, comments, etc, will be apreciated
Here is the walle ->Black Magic

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Hm, my first question is, why did you turn the scan into a greyscale? I guess that's reflective of my personal aesthetic preference than anything, but I still think that oftentimes turning a color scan into B&W severely limits one's creative possibilities when walling. I also think you could have done a little better on the scan extraction in some places (i'm looking at the top parts of her hair), but it's not too bad. You should probably also fix the gooey-blob-looking thing (which is actually the bottom end of her skirt in the scan) that looks like its hanging from her foot.

I haven't watched Erementar Gerad, so I'm not exactly sure as to the appropriateness of the text, but to be frank I find it rather awkward. Perhaps black magic connotes lightness/playfulness in this series, in which case I could understand your reasoning behind those mixed fonts, but even so the font choices/ordering could be better.

Why not go for color? B&W walls can be effective at times, but because you don't really have the option of taking advantage of colors, you have to rely a lot more on things like concept and composition, which I think makes it more difficult.. The viewer can't help but emphasize looking more at the concept/composition/atmosphere. I think the wall is rather lacking in these aspects, and the greyscale may have exacerbated the problem..

And most importantly, the background could use a lot more work. Right now it is plastered with a series of quite random, primitive-looking effects and brushstrokes that really don't seem to require much effort.. It's simple to the point where I can visualize the brush going across the screen, rapidly dotting/streaking away. I suggest you try to be a little more creative in the bg and have a good idea of what kind of wall you want the final product to be.

Hope this helps :)

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Hmmmm... same as unicorn, am also wondering why you wanna do a black and white wall for this scan...But anyway.. onto the wall...

Though the image is black and white, it is obvious that it needs some cleaning... it is kinda grainy and blurry now, you need to clean it up more :) Other than that, you need to work on the extraction, it is kinda jaggy at some part (mostly hair), and the white cloth part are not extracted cleanly...

Onto the text... I do not see the reason why you need to use different font for every letter, and it kinda make it looks messy looking... I think sticking to one unique suitable font is better, but if you insist on using different fonts, I think you should rethink on the order and choices of font :D

Background... the text said Black Magic... but I do not see where the black magic part is in the background... there is no link at all.. The background is too poorly done... all I can see is some simple brushing and some effect that can be finished in a very short time.. and actually, rather than black magic, it looks like some kind of abstract waterfall to me -_- I think you should rethink on the background, why not think of something that suits the scan more, and also try to suit the theme of Black Magic :) you can try some scenes (she destroyed some house or whatever) or maybe make it abstract wallpaper (if that was your first intention)

A suggestion: I think a colored wallpaper will work better for this scan :D

Well, hope that helps ;D

Signature

tian82

tian82

-Lovely-

The girl look nice and just the background is blur and plain. And the text a bit weird. If with colour, maybe will be more nice.

-Sweet Cotton Candy-
Signature

good black+white walls are very very hard to make. and usually the ones with more black than white work better. that's the main problem for me. too much white; it hurts people's eyes when used on the desktop. that's what you need to change for the background.

you and i and everybody else here who knows how to wall will know, your bg is just a quick mix of random brushing and filtering: botChii won't allow such walls to stay in the gallery. ^^" you need some kind of scenery, like tareren said. i don't feel any sense of magic. you need to put some more thought into your concept - think out of the box: the theme "black magic" is pretty cliched. you want to be special. you want your wall to be different from the rest.

the original scan is HUGE. the girl in your wall is TINY, and you made your wall 1024x768. you should be aiming at 1280x960 minimum. a lot of the users here use larger resolutions. be considerate for them, and you'll get more downloads. back to the girl. you want her to be MUCH bigger. expecially when you have such a monotonous background. you don't need her whole body to fit on the screen. you can cut off some of her hair or part of her legs. what you want is impact. something to draw roaming users in to view your wall. make the girl big, or put her in an interesting orientation.

back to the black+white thing. i don't want to repeat what others have said but there's no reason for the girl to be in black+white at all. she doesn't have any colour to her, apart from her skin tone, in the original scan anyways. instead of 100% black+white, i would suggest tuning her down to a low saturation, so there are still some traces of colour. you could also highlight her eyes or some part of her body by manually adding colour to it, for example red eyes [very cliched - don't do it. =X]

some tiny thing about the extraction. i know you used the magic wand. admit it. you did. there's no problem with using it for a start for your extraction, but be sure to follow up with the eraser tool and clean up the corners in the hair and other acute angles. the magic wand never gets there.

finally. the text. noooooooo. i root against random capitals. >___<;; i'm sorry. but i can't stand random caps. never. ever. in any circumstance. honestly, it looks very unprofessional and noobish. which you don't want. if you go to free font sites [such as www.abstractfonts.com or www.dafont.com] you can download some really cool fonts to use instead of your default system fonts. you can also put the text in a more unorthodox place. it doesn't always have to be in the bottom right corner.

thanks for taking the time to read this, naomi. i hope it helped and it didn't offend you too much! ^______^" you have the skills, but you just need to input more imagination into your work. don't worry about going crazy. strive to be different. XD keep trying!

Signature Image
latest wall::feathers and such [Kingdom Hearts II]; previous wall::samurai poses [Samurai Champloo];
proud member of::The UnderAppreciated; Bleach; ChrnoCrusade; Journey-To-The-West; Silver-Rhythm;

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

THe text just doesn't really go well and not to mention the background is extremely messy. I agree, black and white wallpapers are very hard to make because they are, no offence, boring in a thumbnail and it doesn't entertain me for long.

The brush work (namely the white) is pretty messy and if I were making this I would only set them at a very low transparency so 1. you can't see the mistakes 2. it would provide some texture to entertain.

Overall I don't really think that the white is a very good idea.

I would also pass this off as a low effort wallpaper because it doesn't really look like much thought has gone into this to actually set out the background.

I don't want to repeat what other people have said, but I just wanted to say that you should thoroughly plan out your wallpaper before you actually start on it :) Be original! Have some inspiration and have a layout and work towards it... this looks like you have either done something randomly or perhaps followed some sort of tutorial (it does look like an inferno to me) so try to move away from that.

Or another option is to go through lots of tutorials, familiarise yourself with all the different elements and get used to how to do what, and eventually you won't need to follow the tutorials :)

This is overall still a pretty good attempt, but I would suggest thinking it out a bit more ;) Kudos for posting <3

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.