Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Xenosaga Wall-in-progress - Minitokyo

Xenosaga Wall-in-progress

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Welp, since I cant just post to my group`s GB and ask for advice atm, I come here. It feels..unfinished, and after a week on it I cant figure out why. So..advice?

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/2660/weatheredkos9qn.jpg

And heaven help me, if I get extraction issues I will scream. EVERYTHING Ive ever done has extraction issues, even the ones where the images were done by other people and handed to me.

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

inuyashalove04

inuyashalove04

inuai-chan

I don't know if it means anything, but I like it the way it is.

Signature Image
"I personally believe that each of us was put here for a purpose-- to build not to destroy. If I can make people smile, then I have served my purpose for God." - Red Skelton

tevi

tevi

Misa's evil twin

It's not unfinished... But it probably does feel that way for you, because you like to fill your backgrounds with activity... ^_^; But it's fine in terms of "finished-ness"... On the other hand, I kind of disagree with some of the decisions you've made... @_@

Scan :

*ish going to get murdered...* ... But uh, extraction problems. Okay, tip that I usually can't be bothered telling people, because they're lazy and won't listen to me anyway... But you *really* have to fix up your extraction... And I can't work out any other way of making you do that...

Make a layer of white. Then, a layer of black. Extract with the black layer visible, because with a dark outline, that will show you where your "white" is... And where you need to get rid of it. But alternate to a light background regularly, to check that your lines are kept at the right thickness, and so that they don't fluctuate too much in terms of thickness.

Well, that's how I extract... [And of course, that's why it takes me about 3 hours to extract one image... @_@] Being obsessive about every pixel also helps when it comes to extraction... Know why it's there, know whether or not to delete it... And keep your hand above ctrl-z =)

Basically, you can see the faint outline of a glow-like thing near her feet... Same at her LHS leg...

... And extraction should be smooth. ... So I don't know why her wrists seems to be emitting some sort of darkness... And her hair is a bit lumpy... ... Are you using the pen tool to extract? Because, the pen tool gives the smoothest results... Also, you don't have to follow every little contour of her hair... Just get the general flow of it, and no one'll be able to tell... ^_~

Choice of Colour :

Blue is nice! I like how you've gone for a colder colour <3 Generally, they're less painful for the viewer, so yey! Wow, the colours are great in terms of keeping with the original scan's colouring... ... *wonders if you've actually been listening to her rants...* =O

Only thing is, maybe you should colours a *bit* bolder... Because of the scan's bold-ness... But otherwise, wonderful job on the colours!

Background :

... *SCREAMS* I would say byebye to the moon... ... Logically, clouds, rain and the moon don't go very well together... Also, moons are too generic.

... Actually, is that rain? Because the texture suggests it... But the clouds are too fluffy and nice. ... In places. And she doesn't seem to be wet... So maybe change the texture of the wallpaper...

... Wings... Okay, I'd love to say "get rid of them"... But that would basically take out a huge part of the wallpaper... Okay, I would just make them bolder... If they stick out more, they won't look like they're just Photoshop-tutorial-slap-onto-wallpaper-ish... Hmm, I'm thinking *I* would darken the bit which would "attach" to her body, and maybe have it fade out at the tips of the feathers...

Sparkles... Uh, they're very... Un-Teryon-ish... @_@ Maybe I'd increase the spread of the bright-ish blue ones... To fade out the eye-burning effect... Or reduce them... Get the feather eraser, and run it around the blue sparkles a bit...

... And I would get rid of that weird rock she's standing on... It's totally illogical. It looks like she's standing on one of those beach-rocks that have been smoothed out over the years by the waves... Except for the fact that she's no where near the beach.

Useability :

It looks pretty damn good on the desktop. Mostly because there's a lack of activity, and there aren't any important elements near any of my icons... And the blue is really nice and soft... Maybe dull down the bright yellow for people with really bright monitors... Hmm... But I think it works really well on the desktop! Good work!

Overall :

I really like the simplicity of this wallpaper... And it would be perfectly fine without that moon... And since she has wings, she doesn't need to be standing on anything... @_@ ... I think. But yeah, your main problem is still extraction... It tends to throw off the whole wallpaper if you don't extract it properly....

Hope that helps, dearie! I'll be waiting for the complete version! =)

- Tevi

Signature Image

- same person; no difference at all, just a different sex

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Okay, first and foremost, am so soooooorry to say that you have extraction problem here ^^" Ugh, please don't scream too loud >_< the one most noticable is the one on her feet (you can see layer of white all around her feet on the black.. stone? or whatever it is..), if you keep on having extraction problem, maybe the problem is because you didn't zoom in enough.. try to zoom in as big as 300%-500%... more if it is some hair extraction.. and what tevi said about contrasting the background works well too :)

About the wings on her back, am guessing it is from a brush... I think I saw one like that somewhere... and am suggesting you to get rid of it... First and most important reason is that the wing style doesnt match the drawing style.. if you insist on using the wing, redraw them with the same style, don't leave them at their brushed state just like that, and am sure it would look way better :)

Onto the background...
I love your general choice of colour, but to match it with the bright bold blue color of her hair, I suggest you chose brighter blues for the wall.. cos I think it is now too pale... or maybe you could try using other color to contrast the blue and make it bolder and brighter to match the feel of the scan :D

As for the general scene at the background, I cannot say I have real problem with the cloud, I think you use the stock quite well, but... I do have problem with the.. raindrops.. seeing how she seems to be so high up where the moon looks sooooo big, I cannot see how the rains can still drop there.. and if it is rain after all, how come she doesnt look wet at all? And rain suggest cloudy gloomy day, yet she still looks a bit too bright for me >_< even with the moon so close... and it is just weird to see rains fall on lotsa clouds below them >_> I kinda think if there is rain there the clouds below should disperse or something.. (according to my logic, that is.. maybe physics' fact doesn't suggest the same theory)

About the moon, am not saying it is a good/bad idea to have it there, it's just that it looks kinda weird to me, I thought the dark blue on the moon is its texture, but how come slightly to the right of it (from viewer's point of view) there are some dark blue patch as well? I dont understand the dark blue part -_-
Oh, and I think if you are sticking onto the rain idea, you should get rid of the moon (if the rain is there, I do not think you can see the moon as they are usually blocked by the clouds) and maybe get rid of some of the clouds below..

Okay.. the rock.. I kinda have an idea that she is standing on the very top of a mountain when I see this, but the rock doesn't look like the very top part of a mountain when I look at it closely.. maybe you would wanna fix that, or even get rid of the rock if you are sticking with your wings.. (though actually her position doesn't really look like she is floating... maybe you would wanna get rid of the clouds instead and make some ground there ^^")

Sparkles... Hmmm, I do not see the relevance of the sparkles/glows in the wall..(though I do not actually have problems with them, but they just do not seem to do anything there..) x_x it doesn't seem to enhance the wall in any way, so it is better if you get rid of them.. beside, OX they add to the messiness of the wall, cos you have rain and sparkles at the same time (while she is supposed to be under the rain)

Okay, most of my suggestion fail if those lines are not rain, but if they are not, I suggest you get rid of them.. too many elements in one wall would only make it looks messy.. you could try texturing the whole wall instead IMO :D

Hmmm, this is just a suggestion, maybe rather than putting so many elements to make the wall looks lively, you could always put some text.. a suitable text could enhance a wall greatly ;)

Oh, the idea itself for the background is not bad, just few contrasting details/aspects that you need to rethink :O And as for linking it back to the anime/game, I do not think KOS-MOS actually float in the sky, she is more to floating in the space cos Xenosaga is all about the future and high tech thingy and space conflict etc... so I kinda think this scene is not suitable for her :P
Ugh, I just realised most of my suggestions are you should get rid of one if you wanna keep the other, but in the end it is all up to you :P I hope that helps in anyway...

Signature

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I'm here now :D

In no particular order (and not repeating -_-') :

Her feet need to be burned. The edges. >_>

I actually love these colours. I wouldn't change the background. I think it's easier to desaturate the girl a bit instead. Or you can use bolder colours :) Because if you used brighter colours that'd mean more saturation and I'll go blind x_x
So bolder colours or less sat of the girl ;)

I would like those wings stand out a bit more... so it's like bold.
Sparkles should wrap more around her than just be slapped on...

Filter effects on the character is a bit strange but I can still live with it...

I think it's the SHAPE of the rock that's a bit strange. maybe if you made it a cliffy thingo that would have been better :) I wouldn't get rid of the clouds because they look so good >_<

I suggest a rock ledge rather than a little thingo to stand on :)

But I think it looks great as well :O The colours and the atmosphere although not too original look reallllly reallllly nice :o I like how you broght KOS-MOS away from her role in the anime and made her somewhere else... I think that's a rather unexpected and also creative way of doing things :D

Oh and I wanted to mention >_> I would avoid using text... unless you are super duper sure it's the right font... because yeah >_> Just... avoid it... unless at least 95% sure it's okay :)

Won't say anything more :nya:

Lol Teryon, it is the extraction >_> it's just really obvious you blurred the edges- I would strongly suggest using the pentool and zooming in at like 300% or more- it's actually really easy and fast- and it doesn't leave white crap like the magic wand *and Misa is a magical person... knows what works and what doesn't XD*

Btw, you would have found us in avalone's gbook... lol... that's where we crashed ;) Giving you the thumbs up.

This is a really really good wallpaper. I'm surprised you used the sandbox :D

*huggles*

merged: 10-30-2005 ~ 04:52pm
*on another note about the font... it's cuz most of the time if i'm commenting it's either you randomly placed something somewhere, extraction had problems, or the font was really inappropriate >_> Yah <3

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

hum not bad the bg even if many persons do this style of bg, but i think the problem is the scan it looks really weird and not really clear :(

Signature

The hands are lacking a little proportion, and the drawing is quite different from the usuall Xeno Saga, you will surely get an even number of people who like it and people who do not....

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

Just a quick note since I don't have time: the guestbook should be fixed now. Besides, it's nice to show work in progress to everyone :D

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.