Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Experiences with Autism. (Share and/or Discuss) - Minitokyo

Experiences with Autism. (Share and/or Discuss)

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 14 total items

ManOnFire

ManOnFire

Fiery wrath time! MWAHAHAHA!

Another one of those thoughts that you don't really think about until it shows up right in front of you...
Yeah, this time, the thread's about the disorder that cripples the ability to learn: Autism.

For a little background info: Check Wikipedia

Simply put, as said in the reference, it results in

Quote: "abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior."

A more blunt way to put it: a 19-year-old with communication capabilities making him look like he's still learning to speak. (Note, it's not mental retardation)

Why do I say it like that? That 19-year-old is my older brother: yes, he has autism.

Let me tell you, it really isn't right once you think about it. Sure, any given person has some quirk with behavior and interests, but communication? That really hurts. Communication is something that defines any person. Autism just messes that up so bad... I'm pretty lucky however, to have a brother with at least some basic ability to speak (it's not always in complete, gramatically correct sentences, and not always elaborate, but at least it's something).

First: they can't express themselves. ex: How would you feel if you had a kid who could never just straight out tell you "I love you" from the bottom of his heart?

Second, it robs the world of potential. Some people could be the next Albert Einstein, but autism weakens the ability to learn, as well as communicate.

The first one is pressing, but the second one really applies to me. Looking at my brother and what my parents tell me about him, he could be the type of older sibling you try to catch up to and get out of his shadow... if he weren't autistic. The "getting out of the shadow" part I can skip, but the possibility of being pushed competively by him in school and other things, that doesn't seem so fun to me... -_-

Anyways, I made this thread to bring this issue up. According to these statistics, it's definitely a problem, especially in California. Feel free to post any discussion, comments, experiences, etc, with Autism.

-ManOnFire

If it's red or fiery, I'll pay attention! WOOHOO! If it's red and fiery, GIMME!
Check my fiery userpage! (though I'm no photoshop expert):
Signature Image
Signature image made by ShueiTenshi. Thanks!

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

I have never known anyone autistic and certainly don't have your experiences with it, but I understood it to be a condition where the person in question lacks the ability to priorize information from their environment. That you might present a selection of items to such a person and that depending on the severity of their condition, they might not be able to appreciate or even understand the reality of the various items. If you provided them a dollar bill, a comb, a box of tissue, and a truck, you might have one person comb his hair and another play with the tissue in the box. I thought is was a problem of preception more than anything else. Am I incorrect? I know this thread it more about immediate experiences, but I would like to have a better understanding of the condition before I even attempt to think about educating others about it.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

ManOnFire

ManOnFire

Fiery wrath time! MWAHAHAHA!

Quote by wolfcoI have never known anyone autistic and certainly don't have your experiences with it, but I understood it to be a condition where the person in question lacks the ability to priorize information from their environment. That you might present a selection of items to such a person and that depending on the severity of their condition, they might not be able to appreciate or even understand the reality of the various items. If you provided them a dollar bill, a comb, a box of tissue, and a truck, you might have one person comb his hair and another play with the tissue in the box. I thought is was a problem of preception more than anything else. Am I incorrect? I know this thread it more about immediate experiences, but I would like to have a better understanding of the condition before I even attempt to think about educating others about it.

Not the way I know it. Not sure about prioritizing info, though.

But for sure, it's a disorder from birth that interferes with the ability to learn and the ability to communicate, putting people very far behind when it comes to dealing with real life and other people. That's how'd I'd put it, though. Check the wikipedia article (they're not always off, you know) I linked to if you want some background info, though.

If it's red or fiery, I'll pay attention! WOOHOO! If it's red and fiery, GIMME!
Check my fiery userpage! (though I'm no photoshop expert):
Signature Image
Signature image made by ShueiTenshi. Thanks!

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I don't know of autistic cases, but my elder sister worked as an aide for a brain damaged child. During her training, she had to do with all kinds of dissabilities.

5 years ago, my dad had a stroke on the left side of the brain, damaging his speech, as well as his right-side nerves. He can talk, but it's somewhat difficult to follow him.

Its always sad when something like tis happens to someone you know. Just think of all the unknown cases where there aren't any facilities to help them or people with the knowledge or expertise to help them.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

SekiRyuu

airsoft addict

i myself have asperger's, which is a form of autism

Signature
	Imagehttp://chatairsoft.com/images/zoom/TIYCVS/MP5Jsig.jpg[/sigimg]

This guy at my school, currently one year ahead of me is autistic, and everyone picks on him, takes his hat, flick rubber bands at him, those people are dicks. for our school sport i do weight lifting, and then the teacher supervising (very ignorant, stuckup and homosexual) tells him "sorry you cant do this sport , please go away", he looked heart stricken the walked away.

aiya.

SekiRyuu

airsoft addict

how does autism affect your physical abilities? what an asshole

Signature
	Imagehttp://chatairsoft.com/images/zoom/TIYCVS/MP5Jsig.jpg[/sigimg]

I've worked with autistic kids before at an Outdoor programs that teaches science through hands on experiences. We have volunteers that come out to do one on one work with them so they and the other kids have a successful time.

The biggest problem is the volunteers' perception that all autistic kids are "Rainmans" or "idiot savants"; basically, can't do normal social interactions but are really, really, smart. It makes it harder for them to effectively deal with the child's behavior.

All autistic kids are different. One, um, interesting experience I had was one week a deaf autistic kid came out. Thank goodness we had a really awesome high school student leader who was also deaf that dealt with him really well.

Autism rates are rising and I've heard it could be from older mothers and invitro fertilizations, but those only have a slightly higher incident rate than others. I think the increase is mostly due to a better diagnoses process and the want to label kids. Before it was "he is kinda weird" now it is "he's autistic". Meh. This isn't as bad as what they do with labeling kids ADD or ADHD, at least the autistic label will get the kid the help he needs, not just pills like those ADD kids get.

Not sure if this contributes to the discussion any, but I have a very low-functioning level of Autism called
Ausperger's Syndrome, and I think it actually helps me think me analytically.

Children with Ausperger's Syndrome have a knack for being interested in a single subject and bringing it into our conversations even when it is not relevant. As for social interaction, we don't pick up on social cues very well, but no motor functions are impaired.

Some say that Ausperger's Syndrome is part of the "Autistic Spectrum" while others say it has nothing to do with Autism.

I have a teacher (my English teacher) with an autistic son, and he doesn't speak at all. I also know a kid in my grade who has autistic twin brothers. When I was in elementary school I knew an autistic kid, so I've always known about autism.

It suprises me how many people don't know about autism. Up until just recently, I thought pretty much everyone knew about it, but there are a lot of people who don't.

I know some people with Ausperger's Syndrome, but not terribly well.

Poor your brother. Well, I don't speak completely as well and my grammar is not correct too, except when writing or typing. It takes me a long time to explain to someone what I'm trying to say and I usually end up giving up because people would get confused if I tried to explain to them. One question...does your brother have autism innately? Is there a time your brother made himself clear enough for you to totally understand what he was feeling? I knew a lot of people like that and they are usually treated as disables and they don't have any friend. I feel sad for them.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Don't bump old threads.

Closed.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.