Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Country and Western, anyone? - Minitokyo

Country and Western, anyone?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Given that it's held the mantle of 'most popular form of American music' in the past I'd have wagered there'd be a few threads about it, but it looks like discussion on it is pretty sparse.

So, a couple of questions:

- Are you a fan of Country and Western?

(And here I recognize that the terms are used loosely to describe 70+ years of music...in other words, sometimes todays stuff I have a real hard time classifying as "Country and Western.")

- If so, who are a few of your favorite artists of yesterday and today?

- If not, what are some of the things that keep you away?

As for myself, I'm a big fan of something known as "Western Swing," a Country and Western jazz of sorts that's most often attributed to the legendary Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys ("It don't matter who's in Nashville, Bob Wills is still the King.")

As for Country and Western, I've got a ton of favorites there, though the large majority are in the traditional vein of things, like: Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, George Jones, George Strait, Lefty Frizzel, Riders in the Sky, etc.

Where today's stuff is concerned, there's only a handful of artists that I enjoy to be honest, but there are some good ones.

Howsabout yourself?

cinnamonsin

cinnamonsin

spicy-sweet dream

I loved 90's country, but now I feel it isn't quiet as good... I'm feeling that it's gotten less western and more southern, really. Nowdays I don't listen to country radio that much.

But I do really like some of the older stuff. Garth Brooks, The Judds, and Reba, to name a few.

Quote by cinnamonsinI loved 90's country, but now I feel it isn't quiet as good... I'm feeling that it's gotten less western and more southern, really. Nowdays I don't listen to country radio that much.

But I do really like some of the older stuff. Garth Brooks, The Judds, and Reba, to name a few.

That makes two of us that don't listen to [newer] Country on the radio that much anymore. Hopefully that changes one day.

Though fortunately living in Texas there are several stations devoted almost solely to the classic material given that there's such a demand for it here. One of which that's aptly named "Country Gold."

I wouldn't say I'm an all-out fan of country and western but I don't mind listening to it if somebody has it on :) my dad is a big fan of country and western so every now and again he plays his music on the hi-fi in the living room... I like the stories/lyrics that are used in the songs... I find it really expresses human emotions/experiences in a really good way that really gets to the heart of the matter and makes a person really relate to it... I guess he listens to the golden oldies of country and western like boxcar Willie, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline etc ^_^' I'm afraid I can't really going to specifics because I'm really quite an ignoramus where most music is concerned :(

Quote by missy1066I wouldn't say I'm an all-out fan of country and western but I don't mind listening to it if somebody has it on :) my dad is a big fan of country and western so every now and again he plays his music on the hi-fi in the living room...

Quote:

Ha, this is how I learned about 90% of the 'Oldies' during my youth. My Dad would have them on the radio when I woke up in the morning and after so many years they were simply a second nature.

And I love 'em to this day.

Quote: I like the stories/lyrics that are used in the songs... I find it really expresses human emotions/experiences in a really good way that really gets to the heart of the matter and makes a person really relate to it...

There ya go.

I think you're a bigger fan than you may realize.

Quote: I guess he listens to the golden oldies of country and western like boxcar Willie, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline etc ^_^' I'm afraid I can't really going to specifics because I'm really quite an ignoramus where most music is concerned :(

Doesn't sound like it, heck you just named off "Boxcar Willie." If you can tell me who the "Hag" or the "Possum" are, for example, then you probably know more than pretty much anyone who's started with country in the 90's and hasn't bothered to look beyond it. Probably there already.

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

Quote by Texcap- Are you a fan of Country and Western?

- If so, who are a few of your favorite artists of yesterday and today?

- If not, what are some of the things that keep you away?
of artists that I enjoy to be honest, but there are some good ones.

1. I used to be a fan. Country music has lost its identity. Need evidence? that song Tim McGraw recorded with the rapper. I have lost any and ***ALL*** respect for him. I lost respect for his wife, Faith Hill, ages ago for converting to pop music. I even lost respect for Martina McBride -- and I love her older stuff -- because she went pop. Anything from around 1985 til 2001 is what I listen to.

2. Martina, Reba, Collin Raye, Kenny Rogers (he's my 4th cousin on my dad's side), Lonestar, Diamond Rio, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Keith Urban, Toby Keith (older stuff), Alabama...

3. the sound changed too much. Country can't decide if it's rock or pop. I'll probably never listen to it again.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Quote by eXDream2K51. I used to be a fan. Country music has lost its identity. Need evidence? that song Tim McGraw recorded with the rapper. I have lost any and ***ALL*** respect for him. I lost respect for his wife, Faith Hill, ages ago for converting to pop music.

I understand what you're saying, definitely.

While I've never been a Tim McGraw fan, and I can't say that I don't respect him for what doing what he enjoys, I can sympathize with the jist of what you're getting at -- I can't stand the sound you're talking about either. Faith Hill, to continue with the example you gave, was one of my favorites there for several years but the pop that she began releasing as her popularity rose was just too far out there for me to enjoy, and almost completely lacked the magic that she was creating in country years prior. Hopefully things are a' changing there.

Quote: I even lost respect for Martina McBride -- and I love her older stuff -- because she went pop.

Martina McBride is one of my favorites, and for me, somehow she was able to overcome the "pop influence" to a degree thanks to the ballads that she can still belt out without peer thanks to her talent. The difference I see with her is that she retained that "magic" that I talked about above. That, and for all the "pop" that was in there, she also managed to create more traditional stuff.

But again here, I know what you mean.

Quote: 2. Martina, Reba, Collin Raye, Kenny Rogers (he's my 4th cousin on my dad's side), Lonestar, Diamond Rio, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Keith Urban, Toby Keith (older stuff), Alabama...

Good stuff (though I can' t say I"m a Lonestar fan) there.

"Someone killed country music...down on music row."

At least, they think they did.

Texas and a few Nashvillians are still making great stuff. Honest.

(It just doesn't get the air-play on the "mainstream" channels that it should.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.