Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 AMD or Intel - Minitokyo

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 86 total items

lclun

lclun

mikoto-sama

You prefer which processor company more?

AMD for me XDXD

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

It depends.

- AMD's are good because they're faster, BUT they overheat, especially when you're overclocking.
- Intel's are good because they have the speed where it counts, and they're cheaper. But you really can't mod out an Intel.

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

PTG

Firripu-Daioh

Right now I am going with AMD yeah for them, though it gets quite hot, in fact I have always had AMD except on my MAC that was a Motoralla, Speaking of which I heard that Intel or AMD is going to buy out Apple's PPC Architecture. Which would be cool cuz then you could get a new mac for under $3000 :)

"If I went around saying I was an Emporer, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me,they'd put me away." (Dennis - Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

irix

irix

quam sidera multa, cum tacet nox

Really, I dont have preference, if the chip works well.

Trowble

Trowble

(^)(>_>)(^) Osiris!

Quote by Jinzhou
- Intel's are good because they have the speed where it counts, and they're cheaper. But you really can't mod out an Intel.

Intel processors aren't cheaper. :nya:

As for me I like Intel now, because the last AMD I had burned out pretty quick, but that was just one bad experience. I would love to have an Athlon64 though. :D

As from what I read and hear AMD's are really good and you pretty much get your bang for your buck.

Signature

All Hail Justin: yergheigh
xXLordxOsirisXx: maybe *___*

Right now Intel's hyperthreading chips are killing amd's chips. The only thing amd has that can compete is it's new 64-bit line which are pretty expensive...

I like whatever is faster for the money, and right now that would be Intel. If I had the cash, then I'd go with a nice athalon FX... but right now I'm still managing with my slow 2500+ =/

personally i have AMD but its more of a money issue then anytihng. If i could i would rather get intel since they dont overheat and generally more reliable.

Both have advantages and disadvantages

I personally am sticking with intel

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx51.html

Bullets...My only weakness - Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

TaMa

TaMa

Save a tree, burn a book!

if you look on the 2 newest processors from Intel and AMD (Pentium4 3,4 GHz Extreme Edition) and (Athlon 64 FX-53 2.2GHz) The Athlon 64 CPU is 25% cheaper than the Pentium4 EE here... And in most tests the Athlon 64 wins, even the Athlon 64 3400+ wins against Pentium4 EE many times... Here is some results on a test i read:
1. Athlon 64 FX-53 = 100% (97 - 100%)
2. Athlon 64 3400+ = 93% (90 - 98%)
3. Pentium4 3,4 GHz Extreme Edition = 91% (82 - 100%)
So I would rather have an AMD processor here.... :P

As for laptops I would rather have Intel becouse of there Pentium M processors with 1mb cache :D and doesn't get hot when in idle, but when it's working 100% it can get hot as hell x_X;
anyway dont really know how good AMD Mobile processors is, but I don't think they are better than Pentium M, also not many laptops is based on AMD processors, and it wouldn't surprise me if they get hot even in idle -_-;

Ayreon

Ayreon

Obscene

For towers, I stick with AMD since they work wonders over my old intel computer. Overheating doesn't phase me since I have 4 3 inch fans hooked to my tower ensuring it's safety.

For laptops, I'm gonna stick with MAC since I hate any other kind of laptop.

This is the dawn of time
I am the first to stand
Looking through the eyes of the primal man
This is the dawn of time
Witnessing the birth
I am the first man on earth

AMD is like an internal heater for me.
In winter, there's no need to turn on extra heater anymore :p
When overclocked, the fan needed is usually big, so it's also a bit noisy.
It's a fast processor given the price, though.
But i'd rather stick with Intel.

lclun

lclun

mikoto-sama

I stickin to AMD cause it is cheaper than Intel! Intel processor aren't cheaper too

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Yea AMD's are _much_ cheaper than Intels. The one who said intels are cheaper is totally wrong like people here already said. Anyways, i have had 1 intel which was reliable. The cooler broke up before the processor itself. I currently have 3 AMD's and they all work fine. It's true that they produce extra heat but so doesn newest intel prescotts too. They are as hot as AMD. As for overclocking, if your processor overheats, just get proper better cooler. The same rule goes to every processor architechture.

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

Ill go with intel. Reliable ^_^

Signature

I have both. I like AMD..there cheaper for me. INTEL on my graphic computer because it seems to go faster for me.

Do You like my tight sweater? SEE how it fits my body.

midiman

midiman

mysterious

I have an AMD and it's not performing too well for my needs.

Dahz

Dahz

Lee

you can have my Athlons when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

yes, the a while athlons ran hotter than comparible pentiums, however, athlons were desined to produced that much heat, and cope with that much heat. but nowadays top end pentiusm are producing as much heat as an athlon. and in the case of the new prescot cored pentium 4's, even more heat.

also the whole athlons are unstable, its the fault of the prossesor, it has to do witht he (at the time) common Via chipset most amd motherboards were built on. Via had a tough spoot on their hand, they made the fastest, most widely used chipset for the athlon platform, but the chipset itself was unstable,w hich lead to the athlons being blamed for poor stability. these days its not a problem.

unless your overlcocking, and even then our stability issues are due tot he fact the via chipsets cannot lock the pci and agp bus into the correwct frequency when the main system bus is overclocked. when you run those out of spec instability will occur. most pentium chipsets have the ability to lock th secondary buses so overclocking stability isnt as big of an issue.

also, AMD, especilly in their lower end chip, have a higher price/performnce ratio than pentium 4's i find, however at the top end of the pile, comparable chips are usually about the same. course the athlon FX series and pentium extreme edition dont really count for that, as the extreeme edition pentiusm are over $1000 us each, and the athlon FX chips are in the $750 range.

the mobile athlon chips were mentioned, well. the mobile athlon xp 2500+ is currently the most popular overclockign athlon you can buy. reports of 2.5-2.7ghz clock speeds are being reported on good air cooling alone.

and the athlon 64 chips? i run an athlon 64 3000+, i love it. AMD just soft launched thier new athlon 64 2800+. its $175 us on newegg for an OEM part(cpu only, no heatsink/fan). not terribly much more than a comparable pentium or athlon xp if i recall.

You Say " I am canadian =)" Varchild says, "everyone has thier faults dahz"

Leonryushin

Leonryushin

L33TP4ND4

AMD! AMD! AMD!
Overheat? Never!

|"|-|34R |\/|y 7 cooling fans!
+
the best way to overclock safely is to have your computer sitting inside an AC duct! lol

May the Woot be with you!

Dahz

Dahz

Lee

can never have too many fans. ;) thats my opinion for my own tower though.

You Say " I am canadian =)" Varchild says, "everyone has thier faults dahz"

iht

i like AMD better, the tech behind AMD rocks. But the main problem with AMD is the heat produced from using that type of tech, via to Intel's high bus / clock way.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

xtigy

xtigy

The Lonely Wanderer

Well if you have been paying attention for the past year u would know that the cpu is not determined by how many mhz it has but rather it's clockspeed along with mhz.

Amd's line of cpus have been outperforming many p4's b/c of higher clock speeds.

Right now i would choose the upcoming AMD ANTHLON FX-53, it's just the same price as the P4 Extreme Edition but it does not outperform the AMD Chip. If you want proof go to www.tomshardware.com and watch the videos on the benchmarks.

Quote by xtigyWell if you have been paying attention for the past year u would know that the cpu is not determined by how many mhz it has but rather it's clockspeed along with mhz.

Amd's line of cpus have been outperforming many p4's b/c of higher clock speeds.

Right now i would choose the upcoming AMD ANTHLON FX-53, it's just the same price as the P4 Extreme Edition but it does not outperform the AMD Chip. If you want proof go to www.tomshardware.com and watch the videos on the benchmarks.

No offense, but what are you talking about? Mhz is a rating of clock speed.
For example, the Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz has a clock speed of 3200 Mhz.

Also, not all AMD chips outperform Pentium 4s, and none of them have clock speeds higher than an Intel Northwood C or Prescott chip. Up until Pentium 4 Northwood Bs hit the 2.4+ Ghz range, the AMD Athlon XP chips outperformed the Pentium 4 because the P4 needs high clock speeds and memory bandwidth to take advantage of its 21 stage pipeline. However, with the Northwood C cores, the 800 Mhz bus speed, dual channel memory, hyper threading, and processors over 3 Ghz, the Pentium 4 chip outperforms Athlon XP chips in things like video editing, rendering, encoding.

Now, there are Athlon FX chips and Athlon 64 chips. It's unfair to compare the FX chip to a regular Pentium 4, considering the FX series cost at least 3x more than a regular Pentium 4.
The Athlon 64 chips though, have proven to be the best for gaming right now, and they are helped by their efficiency per clock cycle, short pipeline, and on-die memory controller. Other than games, they can do things as well as or better than the fastest Pentium 4s.

The fastest AMD chip out today is the FX-53 Athlon at 2.4 Ghz. That's 1000 Mhz slower in clock speed than the fastest Pentium 4 chip (3.4 Northwood, 3.4 Northwood Extreme Edition, 3.4 Prescott). However, the Pentium 4s need high speeds because of their 21 stage pipeline.

The AMD chips use a 10 stage pipeline and the chips are designed for efficiency and do more work per clock cycle.

When you say "Intel or AMD?" you have to take into consideration what you'll actually do with your comp. For most things, they are basically equal. When you start specializing, then you have to see what chip offers you what you want.

And overheating? You guys have to clean up those caes. My friend's AMD sits at around 40 C idle, my comp is around 37 C idle, 50 C when gaming or doing something CPU intensive.

For the record, I use Intels myself. Athlon XPs can't match up against a 3.2 Ghz proc, and the Athlon 64 3400+ weren't out when I bought this.

The AMD Athlon FX-53 is very nice, but it costs $1000, and for that price, I could have an entire new 2nd comp.

I perfer AMD for desktops and Intels for laptops. I heard too many problems of people who have laptop with AMD processors, that is not a mobile version and eat up the battery in less than a hour.

I prefer AMD cuz of cost. It's not like I'll ocerclock my pc anytime soon or anything but it is still a good chip.

page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next » 86 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.