Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Approaching Manga...how to illustrate it... - Minitokyo

Approaching Manga...how to illustrate it...

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Hopefully I can get accross the idea of what I'm looking for...

As an artist I've long maintained a style that's reminiscent of Bruce Timm's work (certainly not at his level of course) and while I love the style and would like to continue using it, I'm also wanting to cultivate an ability to draw in a more Manga-esque style as well. And in part thanks to the sheer amount of versatility it offers and just because I've always just really enjoyed the unique style.

Anyhow, I'm a little stumped as to where to begin.

I've seen the "How to draw Manga" books, but I'm a little cautious as to how helpful they are in teaching the principles behind the lines. But then again some of you may have used them and been happy with what you were taught within the pages. If that's the case would you reccommend them over another product? Any volumes in particular that were helpful?

Just looking for a good resource, so if anyone's got any suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Kabukiyasha

Kabukiyasha

Serial flake

The how to draw manga books can be helpful, but you need to pick through them and find the ones that's useful to you, best idea is to borrow them first before you buy.

Signature

I'd also look into "how to draw anatomy" books. The manga drawing books are good, but they teach the variances in style, rather than style itself. They are typically geared towards people who draw people already, who are interested in gaining practicle knowledge of the differences between realistic and manga art styles.

The manga books tend to exaggerate proportions like head size and leg length, so if you don't have a strong background in drawing the human form, you may get a little lost at first. I bought a few of these books and it helps to understand the anime form, but you still need some basics in things like hand a foot drawing first.

Quote by bladerunner2005I'd also look into "how to draw anatomy" books. The manga drawing books are good, but they teach the variances in style, rather than style itself. They are typically geared towards people who draw people already, who are interested in gaining practicle knowledge of the differences between realistic and manga art styles.

You raise a good point in that it's always most important to be well-versed in acutal anatomy before you're able to outright manipulate it into a particular style, or another form of anatomy all-together (exagerrated) such as the one that anime offers. Hopefully I'm practiced enough to where I can say that I can at least continue to attempt it, but I understand the jist of what you're getting at and certainly know that I've got a long way to go. And that there's always more to learn.

Quote: I bought a few of these books and it helps to understand the anime form, but you still need some basics in things like hand a foot drawing first.

Thanks for the insight. Surprisingly it's the eyes (oddly enough), shoulders and hair that seem to be where I'm weakest. Just looking for a book that'll actually help to guide me along at first as far as the principles behind the anatomy are concerned, beyond just drawing a character, an eye, or what not without much explanation (for that I can simply look at a magazine illustration which is only a temporary help, at best).

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.