Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Current Event: Riots spreading across France - Minitokyo

Current Event: Riots spreading across France

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 27 total items

Quote by Devildude

I see that since France favors its own people, they have no such balance for the likes of Malaysia, which generally shares the same thing. There are many who refuse to speak Malay, and long since the 80s, Malaysia has slowly changed its course to speaking english. I believe one of the reason is that why they don;t succeed in getting a job is because there isn't a central language?

I won't discuss much I don't think I've understood the whole post and what it seems to imply about the french system, rigthly or wrongly (me thinking there are wrong misconceptions).

French is the main language. Others ones can be taugth but usually as a second language like the regionnal languages (from Corsica, Britain etc... I hated having this second regional language, I don't really know why, how it was taugth ? not having funny books in that language to read ? Too stern ?). School is mandatory from the people from 5 (?) to 16 years-old.

Do you mean that english is the main language used to learn and to teach in Malaysia ?
If it is so, doesn't it kill in a way your culture ?

Quote by Devildude
i mean look, english is Lingua Franca, it is the language of nations, French as far as i know have not achieved that yet, consider how proud they are over such matters, and look at the stubborness they consider, where and what should they do? they needed something more central as their educatuion basis and really, perhaps it is about time that a little be sacrificed.

That's another thing. After all, english being said to be "lingua franca" is more due to the importance of the United States... and these things change, after all, when scientists wrote to Marie Curie, their letters were in french. French was lingua franca in Europe during... well I don't know when exactly... so that's probably why it is one of the official languages at UN and Olympic Games.

I don't believe much into not teaching in one's native tongue. Because the languages are an important part of a country. Even if it can't be used internationnally, languages are first to communicate in a local place and reflect the story, the worries, the interests of a country. I was amazed to know by example that Inuits have more than 10 words for the color "white" well with its differences of course... and of these "different" colors have a deep meaning.

Signature

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

i suppose i did wander off topic...indeed.
but what i was trying to say is that since the idea is that racism and such ethnic problems are the case from which the problem is supposedly to have been caused, then why not, through a planned process actually begin to renew this view through perhaps a change in languages and difference in acceptance?

Well of course, naturally if you are born in that place, you are the citizen there, but you are not given the equal rights to represent your race and your people. That appears to be what this has been about...isn't it?

the people are unsatisfied by their inequality and though they have a central language that is french, it makes no difference for them as they are not given the oppurtunity in the social circle that is france's community.

Killing away culture is not as easily done as one may think, true, Malaysia has been declared Islamic and we mostly are encouraged to speak the mother tongue, but that is not enforced or forced upon, and no one in any authority has the power to force that unto others.

I have been in Malaysia long enough to understand that just because you are not fluent with the mother tongue, we are still together and the culture has not dissipated one bit with the good ness that everybody is advancing forward with English, it is because socially we accept challenges and we win these challenges by making small differences all the time. One of these features is when you go there, don;t be surprised to find a village with all mixed races together from malays to foreeigners like britains can be found there.

Regarding the questions : Yes, currently, all universities and colleges, are using english as the main language including goverment sponsored univversities. High schools are emphasizing the change of using english to teach important subjects like maths and science, eductaion of languages that is like the mother tongue can be enforced with substantial learning as subsidiary subjects such as the case with why most government school have chinese, english, and Malay.

Culture wise? every year on August 31st, millions march to the street, like it or not in reunion and harmony for the national day without fail, no matter the race. has been that way for the past dunno how many years.

Again: the point is that when there is more understanding that just because u are not exactly born in there and born pure blooded french, as long as there is a common understanding (provided there is something to base on such as a central culture and language system that must be learnt or otherwise forced upon as the main communication tool and must be scored high enough to pass) among all the people no matter the french colony or whatsoever, i am sure there will be better means.

Plus: if there is only racism, then among their own countrymen, how in God's name will they survive? and to think such a big issue came from the little skeletons and then the two boys, what will happen next of they don't see the bigger picture and go an extra mile to satisfy their people?

P.S.
Again, one way or another, due to my english being a little off (or a lot), I may have wondered off topic, you are all welcome to change what i have said.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 27 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.