Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is it really worth it to debate God? - Minitokyo

Is it really worth it to debate God?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

This could be considered a nicer, more open-debate approach to the "God or not--who ****ing cares?" thread.

My question: Why do we need to debate God and the afterlife? Why are humans so obsessed with what comes after death? Why isn't it enough just to live as we can why we're here, and think about death when we're dead?

I suppose that the reason is that people are obsessed with knowing what they don't/can't know, and so they try to find it out, and when they can't, create something that seems plausible enough to believe.

Note: This isn't a "do you believe in god?" thread. It's a "should we even worry about believing in god" thread.

Comments, suggestions, thoughtful insights, purposeful remarks are appreciated. Comments that consist of "yes", "no", "I totally agree with Fred", and "OMFG U SUXXORS U R SO WRONG GO BURN IN HELL!11111oneoneone" are not.

That said... I'd like to know what you think. ;)

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Yes, that's what I think, and that's the reason why I created this thread... because I think that it's more important to be concerned with what exists on this world while we're on it.

But I also created this thread because I know people think differently, and I want to know their opinions... a healthy debate is always good. XD

Signature

XxRagnarokxX88

XxRagnarokxX88

That one Mexican guy.

I pretty much agree with you. Debating over something you can't prove is.. leading nowhere, I guess.

It's easy to say the world is corrupt and humans should all die-- that we are worthless and incapable of more. It's harder to do something to help. Maybe everyone is a bit too lazy.

mountain

mountain

None

Quote:
I suppose that the reason is that people are obsessed with knowing what they don't/can't know, and so they try to find it out, and when they can't, create something that seems plausible enough to believe.

lol yeah lotta ppl out there got too much time in their hands

but then why is it since the past nearly everyone form everywhere believed in God?
believing in God has lots of benefits I guess, find peace comfort, relieves stress, teaches you how to live together an everpresent helper

Quote:
i say just live your life how YOU want to.

thats the problem! :P most ppl can't live the life you want to, God fills the voids that exist in peoples lives.

oops forgot to answer Q ^_^'
yeah, there isn't a need to debate God, but believing in God sure helps a lotta things

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

God is something for people to believe in, whether it be in life or the after life. God is strength, hope, and freedom from life.

Is it worth it to debate God? Many have tried, but no one wins.

Let me ask you all a question to answer yours. When you die what happens? Do you cease to exist as if you never were there? Do all your hopes and dreams die? Do you come back as something else to do life over again?

Now after you've thought about those questions think about these. If you cease to exist when you die what was the point of your life? Did anything you do have any actuall significance? Does it matter to you that after you and your friends/family are gone no one will know or care that you existed? Why do you have or care about morals of anykind? If your going to cease to exist after you die than why arn't you living for nothing other than your self now?

IMO these questions make the debate about God a poingent and worthy one.

This question only makes sense if you dont believe that reliigon has any REAL truth behind it. Religions ask to be considered like somone would consider a science based theory... its not meant to make you feel good, promote a happier humanity, or act as a security blanket. Generally, these are claims to TRUTH. Thats a powerful word.. as in, its true whether we like it or not, its the law. Now IF that law is true, then i assure you.. you'd rather go to heaven than hell. We are talking eternity vs. a mere 80 or so years. Trust me, if you put it in perspective and you treat it like this is reality.. thats a lot to consider. The quesiton is, SHOULD we believe it. Thats why we have to looks towards evidences.. if all there is to offer is blind faith.. why the heck should anyone believe it. I wouldnt. However, i think this is where i might catch some people off gaurd.. i believe in God because i've sat down and plowed through the research. I've been thoroughly convinced that God exists. If youre interested in discussing it... my AIM is GnarlyOcelot. IM me some time, its a good discussion.

Quote by embershadowT

My question: Why do we need to debate God and the afterlife? Why are humans so obsessed with what comes after death? Why isn't it enough just to live as we can why we're here, and think about death when we're dead?
;)

I began as an aethist. I once thought that the existence of God was a pleasant little fairy tale that people tell themselves to make themselves feel better.
Something happened to change that view. I believe now. So having walked both sides, I can tell you why it's important.

To those who believe, the whole "Why can't we just live our lives as we see fit and not worry about what comes later" mentality is a direct opposition to what God told us to do.

He didn't tell us to do what WE wanted, but rather, what HE wanted. "Thy will be done."

Thus, to basically do what we want with no thought of the reward or penalty in the afterlife is a direct contradiction to the beliefs of the faithful.

We think about what comes next because we are supposed to.

Now, I won't discuss what changed my mind. It's too private...and painful. But I do believe that there is something waiting for us afterward. What it is, I don't know.

I agree with you why does anyone want to know if there is a God or not. people believe in God because it gives them hope in their life. If they do purpose that there is no God people will lose hope in there life and the world. So it better to never know if there is a God than to know that there is no God.

kumiho

kumiho

every artist was 1st an amateur

well...evryone has their own believes, they believe in God n we don't so what to debate it's not like we don't like God or somethin, for me, as an atheism, God is unexist. tht's nothin to debate bout God after all, as for He is controllin our live or not, i don't care, i live my life my way

well...since i want to become a scientist, so i believe that when we die, our system (body, mind n soul) will die, there's no afterlife...we just die

Signature
"pictures are beautiful, they can entrap beauty forever"

NOp u can't prove that he exist and someone else can prove that he dosen't so just a waste of time...=)

Signature

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Interesting opinions.

As for what DarkFireTim said, I think that the reason that people choose to believe in God is because they wonder what will happen to them after they die and if there was a point in life. I personally think that I would rather just live for now and not think about death, but that's not what this thread was created for...

It just seems to me that people are sure they are either "convinced" that there is a God, or that they're "convinced" that there's not. But really, you can't be "convinced" either way. It is not something that can ever be proven--and isn't there something in Christianity that says that God won't ever be proven to the people who don't believe in him or something along the lines of that (not being a Christian, I'm not sure, I just heard this somewhere... so sorry if I'm wrong)--but yet people debate with the conviction of fact.

The reality is that there can be no answer to the debate. So what do people get out of debating? I think that if you believe in something so much... is there a need to debate it?

But some interesting opinions have been brought up here, s I'm still thinkinng about it.

Signature

Quote by embershadow isn't there something in Christianity that says that God won't ever be proven to the people who don't believe in him or something along the lines of that (not being a Christian, I'm not sure, I just heard this somewhere... so sorry if I'm wrong)--but yet people debate with the conviction of fact.

Not exactly, no. In fact, the Book of Revelation suggests that in the final hours, God will reveal Himself. If I can find it, I'll quote the exact passage later.

XxRagnarokxX88

XxRagnarokxX88

That one Mexican guy.

Religions tend to have.. similarities in certain aspects. But putting that aside, I think it's better to live in the here and now. If you question why you exist or is there a purpose to your existence it will lead to no real answers. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but try not to let it control you. If all you do is ponder life, you might miss the chance to experience it.

It's easy to say the world is corrupt and humans should all die-- that we are worthless and incapable of more. It's harder to do something to help. Maybe everyone is a bit too lazy.

ProgramZERO

ProgramZERO

The Lost Generation

Yes, it's worth it. Why? 'cause it's fun as hell.

Sleeping peacefully on the edges of No Man's Land... Not all good is rewarded, not all evil is punished.

Cathal

Cathal

ROAR!

I honestly don't see the logic in Religon Debates. Because in the end it all ends up in a huge arguement. Religon is one of those funny things you don't touch with a 10 foot pole.
But hey, if your up to a heated debate, better be prepaired, because it's gonna be a heated one, with no winners or losers.

Bottom line, it's not worth the waisted effort to debate religon. There are multiple religons out there, most of which have different views, traditions, and Icons. The people who follow are all equally right and just. Pinning one belief against another is not just wrong, its dumb.

"The mouth of the just shall mediate wisdom, and his tongue shall speak judgment. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation, for when he hath been proved, he shall recieve a crown of life." - Lillium

What's is so bad about God's existance? If you believe in God is a win win situation. If you die and God don't exist you don't lose anything. But if you die and findout that God does exist you lose everything forever. God keep people in check. If you have a Prince or a body government, what stop them from taking adventage of their people? They would keep themself from curruption knowing that their is a higher law that govern all human. And it could keep their people from vice because of one universal and unchanging laws. If we think human don't need that higher law we could as will say we don't need law because law would be change all the time using our reason. The ruling government or republic would use that reason of their own gain. Like Judges today ruling on their individaul views. Infact I think having a believe is a great thing. Look at the American militarys back in the days of Revolutionary War, WWI, and WWII. We couldn't have win the war if it wasn't for believe in God. That's why even today American military so begin every even with prayers. So I would encourage others to find a believe. With a believe we always have hope and we could make our life and the lives of other better.

No it's not, it's like trying to prove that Bugs Bunny exists.

Some people are already happy with their life as it is. They feel that there is something that is still missing and they fulfill that emptiness through religion.

It really doesn't matter to argue something that u cannot prove. Let anyone think want they want to, it's like an opinion there is no right or wrong answer. The reason why many people use this type of ideas to enforce morality and ethics through the fear of being punished or being sent to hell.

Nickisherenow

SaRiteNite

Debating god isnt necessary...but knowing his there would be a great relief. i think thats why ppl debate about him in the first place right?
just like mountain said, if u believe in god, life's easier. ill add to that: if u debate god, life's not gonna be easy

Silent Warfare is my kind of war. Why? Because no one innocent gets hurt.

Terrorists aren't silent though. Bastards

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Yeah...

The funny thing is that people are coming in here and trying to debate God. I don't care if you believe in God or not. I think it's wonderful that believing in God makes you feel so warm and fuzzy inside. But that's not the point.

Basically, though, it seems to be that there isn't a real reason for the debate of it; people believe different things, and that's great, but you can't prove it...

It is fun, sometimes, though. XD

Edit: And thanks everyone for posting and giving their opinions. I appreciate it a lot. :D

Signature

Whether or not to debate if he is real or not is interesting to hear other people's points of view. I am agnostic, meaning I DOUBT the existance. Though, Many things are unexplained in the past. It's kind of hard to think about. It can make someone insnae thinking for a reasonable answer.

I'll tell you exactly why people debate it.
Because people are genuintely concerned about the fate of others. Im not going to let my best friend drink poison.
The question, as i've already explained, is "is that REALLY poison".. or does God REALLY exist. IF God REALLY exists, then everything is different.. and im not talking your imaginary friend exist.. im talking about REALLY existing, to the same degree gravity exists... it would apply to everyone regardless of what they think. Now take into consideration powerful points such as "ETERNITY". To not understand the gravity of such topics is incredibly naive imo.
If it truly meant saving a friends eternity, i would lay my life down.

as for the quesiton: "yeah but does God REALLY exist?"
godandscience.org

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 29 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.