Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Music & Society - Minitokyo

Music & Society

page 1 of 1 6 total items

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I ran a search and found no threads that answered the questions I have. To make a long story short, I'm writing a research paper for my English 101 class, and my topic is "Music & Society." My focus is mainly on rap and rock, but I'm looking at other genres as well. Please keep the "I want to know..." section in mind when responding to the questions.

I want to know...
...why music has always had an impact on society.
...why different styles of music are associated with different groups of people.
...why music unifies or divides groups of people.
...why people who like the same genre tend to bicker over which artist is the best.
...why some genres of music do not generate the "cult" that others do.

1. What styles of music are associated with suicide, murder, sex, drugs, etc.? Why?
2. What social groups are associated with certain genres of music? Why? What are the social/racial repercussions that result from this association?
3. What do people think of rock and rap? Why do people feel this way?
4. Why is music so popular? Why are rock and rap more popular than other genres? Why does the popularity of a genre -- or artist -- lead to a "cult" of followers?
5. When was rock blamed for anything? Why was it blamed? (same question applies to rap) *ties into question 1*
6. Who in music has has a lasting impact on society? Why have they had this impact? Have they used their social standing to help a person (politician, peacemaker, etc.) or a cause? Give examples.
7. Who outside of the music world has realized the impact music has on people? How did he/she use music to their advantage/disadvantage?

My thanks in advance to all who respond.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Hm... Don't really have an answer to all of the questions, so I'll just answer in a blurb...

Generally, I would think rap and heavy metal sorts of music are associated with the items in question. People would see this based on the types of lyrics that are used in these songs. For example, pop tends to be about love and similar things. Rap/rock is more about those listed, but not all the time. Just has more tendency to appear in those types of styles over something like pop or country.

I don't think many people have anything against rock or rap, and even enjoy it. Some people might be against them because of the lyrics and the "message" that these songs seem to be promoting (like depression, anger, hate, etc.)

Music seems to be popular because there are so many different types/styles and even though no one likes all of them, there is at least one that holds a person's attention. It has had an impact because it's always been around? But it has a way to capture attention better then other things like writing/reading (I would think) since it takes less effort to listen and enjoy a song then it does to read a piece of work, understand it and enjoy it.

People outside of the music world to use music for their benefits would probably be media, like television, radio, etc. That's why you see commercials, movies and tv series with music in the background or jingles. It captures people attention more then someone just standing there talking. And also, if it's a catchy tune, it's more easily remembered in the person's mind. For commercials, the obvious advantage is that people will remember your product through the use and remembrance of these jingles.

Anyways, it's not like a complete answering to all the questions. They're just my opinions on a few of the questions you put forward. Hope that helps! ^^

ajb

ajb

mr.hat

boy, u ask a lotta questions @__@

a society is a group of ppl with a common culture--music reflects that culture

...why different styles of music are associated with different groups of people.
again, different groups have different interests and live a different culture or lifestyle...their music will reflect them
different ppl relate to different kinds of music

similar interests, cultures, etc...
"oh you like that music too? hey, lets chill together"
"oh i hate that music. i dun like u"

...why people who like the same genre tend to bicker over which artist is the best.
a genre is only a means of communication
each artist is unique with their own message
people will relate to a certain artist more than another

popularity contest really...trends...wuts in...wuts not...
influences in culture, but outside of music have part to do wit it
the time period and the generation also have some things to do wit it

1. What styles of music are associated with suicide, murder, sex, drugs, etc.? Why?
which styles of music have the above? all of em
now, associated with...now that deals wit the mass media's view about the music...
in this time period, two of the biggest styles of music rite now r rap and rock...
both of those are associated with those things
why? becus artists talk about these things in their songs
why? becus it sells (and they deal wit it in their lives)
why? becus ppl wanna hear bout it
why? now thats gettin too deep...

2. What social groups are associated with certain genres of music? Why? What are the social/racial repercussions that result from this association?
didnt i already answer this question? lol
well not the social/racial repercussions...
basically stereotyping...judging...discriminating

lots of things...lots and lots of crazy things...
they either like it or they dun...
if they dun, they either hate on it or respect it...
why do they feel this way?
cus rock and rap is mainstream genres...
its shoved down their ear holes by the mass media whether they like it or not...
and a lot of the times the music that the media shoves down is crap

4. Why is music so popular? Why are rock and rap more popular than other genres? Why does the popularity of a genre -- or artist -- lead to a "cult" of followers?
its food for the soul...
it tells, but also listens...
gives a sense of belonging...
people like to feel the same emotions as other people,
that gives them comfort that they are not alone in what they are feeling
rock and rap is more popular cus the media is just soooo saturated by it...
everyones doin it, and so should u...well no u shouldnt, but thats wut the media tells u
cult followers? music brings ppl together, thats a natural quality of it...
yes, each person experiences life in their own way, but with music we can share similar experiences together

5. When was rock blamed for anything? Why was it blamed? (same question applies to rap) *ties into question 1*
there were a lot of political messages in music that the media tries to censor
not even just political, but anything bout life really...
[sacarsm]we dun want ppl to learn bout the truth do we?
lets try to cover it up shall we?
else the people might rebel?[/sarcasm]
brainwash!

6. Who in music has has a lasting impact on society? Why have they had this impact? Have they used their social standing to help a person (politician, peacemaker, etc.) or a cause? Give examples.
lots and lots...do ur own research lol
mostly cus they speak the truth...
sometimes make ppl reflect on the life...
sometimes promote a change...
sometimes they're just musically brilliant...
sometimes all they did was touch the lives of many ppl

7. Who outside of the music world has realized the impact music has on people? How did he/she use music to their advantage/disadvantage?
outside the music word...u mean the music business?
the underground railroad to secretly communicate with each other and bring hope?
work songs of slaves to relieve some of the burden?
church songs to teach, heighten ppls faith and bring ppl together?
is that wut u mean by outside the music world?
or did u mean like some/many clinics use music to help their patients get through rough times?
ppl make love cds for their bf/gf to try to get laid lol
or they listen to breakup cds to get them through gettin dumped lol

owie...my head hurts!
i basically just wrote ur paper for u!
now u owe me one lol ^__~

DaNuke

DaNuke

Punio de Hierro

I want to know...

Simple. Music is a form of art, just like painting, writing or architecture. Art is one of the ways people express themselves, and transmit their ideas in a much more efficient way than fucking-hard-to-understand philosophical theses. Muralismo, for example, was an artistic movement started by Mexican painters like Jose Clemente Orozco whose goal was to depict a portrait of the Mexican society at that time, while criticizing the politics of that time. The Hidalgo mural in the main stairwell on Guadalajara's government palace, for example, depicts on its right side an allegory of the fight between Nazism, Communism and Capitalism, government forms he claimed to be all different expresions of dictatorship. In fact, this is why a friend of mine wanted to be an architect, it's because it allows you to express yourself, whereas in engineering you just can't do that, because all your program will run wrong, for example, if you don't put these fucking printf's and scanf's where they're supposed to be.

Like said before, art (including music) is one of the ways people express themselves. And of course, different groups of people have different mentalities, cultures and values. Europeans, for example, are more thinkful, careful and hard-working, while Latinos are more friendly, carefree and relaxed. That's why art differs from place A to place B, from ages X to ages Y, from year P to year Q, and from people F to people G.

Music unifies people because it transmits ideals and values. When a song transmits values that correspond to more than one group of people, these 2 groups are united.

That's just a simple matter of personal preference of one artist over another.

Probably it has to do the size of the group attracted or catered by a certain genre. Rock 'n roll, for example, was probably the first cult genre because it catered to a group no genre has ever catered before: youngsters. Rock 'n roll gave teenagers, for the first time in their lives, a sense of self-determination and allowed them to become a whole different community, when they traditionally were just smaller adults.

WARNING! CONSERVATIVE TEACHER ALERT! (just kidding XD)
Pretty much 99% of modern popular music. Not because they have a bad taste; it's because these are problems that affect the modern society and all the people. And remember art is a way to express yourself, and to express your point of view or your opinion about these subjects.

It has to do with the origin of a certain kind of music. Latinos, for example, are often associated with cumbia and reggaeton, because both genres were born in mostly Latino environments: the former originated in Colombia, the latter in Miami and Puerto Rico. Norwegians and Germans are often associated with black metal, because that's the place where it was born. Blacks are associated with rap, because it originated in the AA (short for african american, remember) neighborhoods of America.

That's a matter of personal preference. Some people hate metal because they feel it's stressful and too fucking angry. Some people hate rap and reggaeton because of their sexual, violent and sexist themes, or because it lacks the musical complexity other genres have. Some people hate pop music because it's way too mainstream, commercial and uninspired. Likewise, I, for example, like metal mostly because I have a strange taste for everything that's dark, angsty, gloomy and strange, and also because it's aggresive, angry and powerful.

Music is popular because of the audience it caters. Rock was popular because, in its earliest form, it catered to all the youngsters who were largely unnoticed by the early 20th century society, giving it an enormous jumpstart. Rap is popular because at first it catered another largely unnoticed group: the youngsters who lived in the poor neighborhoods of America.

Actually, many, many genres were blamed for everything. Black metal and goth rock, for example, were blamed by many for the Columbine shootings. Late rock and roll and early psychedelic rock, for example, was blamed for causing the hippie movement in the 1960s, which wasn't seen with good eyes at all by that time's conservatives.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono were perhaps the most activist musicians I can think of. They often addressed politicians in their attemps to put an end to the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Vietnam crisis.

This has to do with movies, but has also something to do with music, because it's art just like movies. In the book "El cine de Goebbels" by Rafael de Espania, it says that Josef Goebbels, Hitler's minister of propaganda, was conscious that cinema had an impact on society, and therefore, gave a set of rules for the Nazi cinema: theater and cinema are completely different things, cinema should be educational and at the same time entertaining, cinema should be a popular art representing the true experiences of the people, the government is forced by law to subsidize the production of cinema and the construction of public spaces to watch it, cinema must be made to fit the current times, cinema is the expression of a people's culture, movies must be kept simple and natural without being lame.

Quote by people from the Irrompibles forumsDaedalus: i can imagine Rince's mangas
plater: ECCHI!
Pollo: Pure vile hentai.

Listening: Vengaboys - We Like to Party (The Vengabus)

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

...all the questions have pretty much been answered...but whatever, hopefully I can still toss in something...just a little warning, I'm more educated in rap, so I'm probably going to answer the rap side of your questions in more detail.
first things first:
www.fictionpress.com/~thesilentknight that'll give you some insight on rap.

Why music unifies/divides certain people?
A variety of factors comes into play when considering this. There's the possibility that people develop misconceptions about musical genres other than their own. The most obvious example of this would be rap and rock. People generalize rap as money, women, drugs, guns, etc and generalize the people who listen to it as uneducated thugs when it isn't completely true. People generalize rock as revolution, screaming, heavy guitar distortion and generalize it's listeners as goths or punks when it isnt true. When people begin to generalize the music and its listeners they begin to draw upon social experiences which then leads to either unity or division. Obviously you wouldn't expect a punker to be hanging out with thugs and vice versa.
And then there's what Nuke said, music transmits values, people with similar values will bond, vice versa.

Why different styles of music are associated with different types of people?
This is mainly determined by the people that listen to the genre. Because a majority of the rap audience is African Americans, it's associated with African Americans. Getting more in-depth, because rap was started as part of the street culture known as hip hop, rap music is more associated with urban African Americans that live in the ghetto. Vice versa. Rock was kind of an imported genre from Europe (not too sure where), it was picked up mainly by Caucasians, and hence tended to spread in popularity among the Caucasian community.

When was rap/rock blamed for anything? Why?
Rap has been blamed for gang violence, graffiti, violence in general, drug use, basic crime because a lot of the rap that most people have access to revolves around exactly those topics, because a lot of the rap that most people have access to comes from people that came from those kinds of backgrounds. Rock has been blamed for suicides (Guns N Roses), school shootings, and political unrest because like rap, those are kinda the topics that rock tends to cover or influence. I won't get too in-depth on rock, I'll let someone more fluent in rock answer that.

Who in music has had a lasting impact on society?
This is quite a broad list that can date back to the days of Elvis, and is probably still going. Elvis can be said to have popularized rock. People like DJ Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa can be said to have played important roles in the creation of rap music. Jin Tha MC can be said to have opened new doors in the rap world by being the first Asian rapper to make it into the mainstream.

bleh, my brain's kinda dead and tired right now. I'll post more later.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

kaeso

kaeso

music lover

wow, a lot of questions i agree!
hum.... too tired to think and anyway ur paper has been hand in,no?

well in short for me, music does have an influence, because people... i don't know why, but i sure see it in the streets....
i was wondering why (lol) people couldn't stop listening to music even ten seconds? it really bothers me (i'm like that) but that question is really on my mind.... i-pods, mp3 players, I mean come on ,communication needed somewhere in this world!

guess it makes u forget ur in the real world (that's for me!)
also, something that has nothing to do with ur questions cuz i think all has been said above, not checking!

i know i felt attracted to songs that were totally not my style by the lyrics, which is kinda crazy... or am i the only weirdo? u don't need to answer that!

another funny thing, coming from experience, come on read it, it's my life, lol...
can't even define the guy, i'll go with best friend even though he's not the only one, but u don't care... doesn't listen to the same kinda music. He listens to rock when i'm more rnb, and we just don't talk about it or we would insult each other, anyway coming back to the subject, he told me that it was normal that i liked purple cuz it was the color like by rnb listeners... or was it the other way round? anyway stubborn as i am, i tried to find one person that didn't like rnb and whose favorite color was purple..... didn't find any! but all the ones who listened to rock, liked green!
--> anyone feels being a exception?

ok i don't want to read what i've written, totally not responding to ur questions, but the answers given before were quite complete... so had a little fun! Good luck if u still have to do this paper!

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.