Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tactics Wallpaper - Minitokyo

Tactics Wallpaper

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

It was my first time using the pen tool to do an extraction. I really had no idea what I was doing, but it feels easier to use then the lasso tool when it comes to extracting. I did use that other one to do a bit of clean up. I -think- I did a better job on extracting then usual, so it felt like a waste to not use it.

Like always, I have no ideas for what to do with the background so it's totally random. It has like no significance and it looks especially odd considering what Haruka and Kantaro are wearing ^^;; The overall wallpaper feels really bare also. But please let me know what you think about the extraction. If it looks okay, I'll probably start using the pen tool for it instead XD

You can make comments on the background too if you like. It probably would look better with a different image for use, but yah... Has this space-feel to it which doesn't match the image I used.

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/19/tacticswall8as.th.jpg

tevi

tevi

Misa's evil twin

Okay, since you really only want comments on extraction, I'll start with that, and just go a bit into the rest of my points...

Scan :

I don't know if it's just me, but is the perspective in the original image weird? Because the characters seem a bit... Wonky @_@ But nevermind that...

I think the extraction overall is acceptable, but since I'm picky, I'll point out a few things...

First off, on blue-shirt guy's elbow... There's a bit of white, near where his fingers are... It's not a big deal, but you can really tell on a darker background...

Also, generally, you should follow the thickness of the original image... So if there's a visible outline, don't get rid of it when you're extracting, and try to keep it at the same width as the rest of the image... You can really tell this at his chin... And on the LHS of the face of blue-shirt guy... And his clothes... On the RHS of him, you've lost the outline there...

[Sorry, not a Tactics fan, so I don't know their names]

Anyway, I think that the pen tool gives the best control with extraction, and for me, is much quicker than using other forms of extraction [but that's because I was using the eraser tool before... <3 eraser tool]

I think that you've done a good job with the pentool, it's more a matter of working on control, so that you don't end up deleting the outline where it's needed.

On another point, the characters are too small... Most people like to have their characters as the main part of the wall, and they should be there for a reason, not just to decorate an empty space...

Okay, quick runthrough of my other points...

Choice of Colour :

It's usually a good idea to choose similar colours to the scan, for the background, because that keeps a theme throughout the wall, and makes sure that your characters seem to belong with the wall, rather than just the extraction + slap on background type of things... So try some dark blues and muted greens =)

Background :

Okay, you've acknowledged that the background doesn't suit the image, so why did you still do it? If it doesn't work, try something else... Don't just put anything, it should be something that suits the scan.

And swirls... Stay away from swirls. And sparkles. They look odd, and they're hardly ever useful for anything...

Text :

Should blend in with the wall, in some ways, like, choose an appropriate font and colour... And it usually looks better if it's standing on its own... Putting a strip through your wall just for text looks lazy and sloppy...

Useability :

Sparkles hurt my eyes. And there are too many points of brightness, like the strips of swirls keep alternating too much... Try putting this on your desktop... And I doubt you'll want to keep it there for long... Try to keep in mind that a wallpaper will eventually sit on someone's desktop, and that means that you shouldn't try to be blinding your audience ^_^;

Overall :

I think you know what you need to do, I just hope you get around to doing it =) Even if you're busy, don't just do a half-arsed job at anything, leave it, and you can come back at some later time and work on it... Having a good piece of work done over a month is better than a 10 minute job that looks bad, and will reflect badly on you, 'kay?

Hope that helps,
Tevi

Signature Image

- same person; no difference at all, just a different sex

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

Hm...the extraction looks fine, but you're right about the bg not fitting ^_^' . The bg is too sharp and colorful, and really overwhelms the charas, relugated to the corner like that. &, like tevi said, the bg hurts my eyes.

Since you seem to like abstract bgs, I guess what you could do with this one is make the colors lighter. You may also want to choose another color scheme while you're at it. Then erase some...a lot of the stars and fade/blur them out. It would also be nice if you made the charas larger.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

The original scan of the image was that big, so I didn't change it. And yah, I know what needs to be done. That's why I wasn't really looking for comments on the background XD

It's not that I particularly like abstract bgs... I don't! It's the only thing I know how to do though ^^;; My scenery ones just look... Well, fake and stupid. I'll keep trying when I get the chance to! Probably around Christmas when I'm not like swapped with school work and all that. But thanks for the comments, critisism & advice! ^^

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.