Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 To big avatars and signatures, plus profile page case. - Minitokyo

To big avatars and signatures, plus profile page case.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Lilim

Lilim

Aveugle

There're things that are bothering me from some time.

It's said that our avatars should be at most 30 KB in size. So I thought that there's no way to upload bigger ones. Now I see that I was mistaken. There're users with 500 KB and bigger avatars! Hey I know that some animated avatars are nice, but some users have part of the movies, anime, etc. converted to gif format and are using it as an avatar. I know that there's a bandwidth problem on MT server. It's nothing strange in this situation!

Another thing is about signature images. It's said that they should be 486x60 in dimensions. Well I don't mind people having 500x60 sig images, but one day I saw a user with sig that was 500x130 (or even bigger). It's starting to get annoyng when sig is longer than actual post >.>

One another thing. Some users (lots of them) are using their "piece" of profile page where they post all the quizzes, games, pisc, etc. they've found. I don't mind if someone has a pic or two (of course not a huge ones) on their userpages but when I must wait about minute or even longer to load such page and then I must scroll for ages thru this "dump" I'm starting to think about exiting this profile page and stop visiting this user.

So. We have rules here on MT, rules that are disobeyed by some users. Nothing new - I know. But we should try to change this! We - users - should work with mods.
What do you think about this? What's your opinion? How do you think we can change these things?

These are questions to users and mods.

Signature Image

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Quote by LilimIt's said that our avatars should be at most 30 KB in size. So I thought that there's no way to upload bigger ones. Now I see that I was mistaken. There're users with 500 KB and bigger avatars! Hey I know that some animated avatars are nice, but some users have part of the movies, anime, etc. converted to gif format and are using it as an avatar. I know that there's a bandwidth problem on MT server. It's nothing strange in this situation!

A lot of these avatars were uploaded to the servers before the server began enforcing limits on avatar size. If the user doesn't change their avatar, it will remain in the system. However, avatar bandwidth consumption is fairly minor compared to scan bandwidth consumption. It IS annoying when you're viewing a long forum thread and avatars won't load, but I don't think it's a major situation that'll ultimately impact the functionality of the site. However, rules ARE rules, and perhaps there should be more enforcement of avatar size (ie dump any avatar above the size limit, or asking members with large avatars to change them.)

Quote by LilimAnother thing is about signature images. It's said that they should be 486x60 in dimensions. Well I don't mind people having 500x60 sig images, but one day I saw a user with sig that was 500x130 (or even bigger). It's starting to get annoyng when sig is longer than actual post >.>

Again, these may have been uploaded before the server began enforcing restrrictions. The same suggestions I posted above apply here.

Quote by LilimOne another thing. Some users (lots of them) are using their "piece" of profile page where they post all the quizzes, games, pisc, etc. they've found. I don't mind if someone has a pic or two (of course not a huge ones) on their userpages but when I must wait about minute or even longer to load such page and then I must scroll for ages thru this "dump" I'm starting to think about exiting this profile page and stop visiting this user.

There aren't a lot of restrictions on userpage content. It is ultimately at the discretion of the user. I'm sure a lot of folks will say since it is their userpage, they should be able to post what they want, but you can always try asking them to change in the name of usability. There is the option to limit the amount of characters a person can use in their userpage content, but that may be too restrictive. I'm not sure how effective it would be. Userpage content has little to do with the MT bandwidth since images are hosted off-site; Sheqel has implemented some coding to restrict any dangerous scripts already, so there's little impact on functionality. Just usability. I hate superlong pages with 10 songs and 20 quiz results too, but then again, I'm always one to go for the KISS factor.

Quote by LilimSo. We have rules here on MT, rules that are disobeyed by some users. Nothing new - I know. But we should try to change this! We - users - should work with mods.
What do you think about this? What's your opinion? How do you think we can change these things?

I think the first thing to be done is to contact the users disobeying, asking them to change things voluntarily. However, unless these issues are a problem on the MT server and its functionality, I can't see making these items mandatory because the issue is not pressing enough to force everyone in line.

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Also some users host there own avys and sigs on some site and then post the link here. That is why some are bigger in file size. Atleast that is the case with some members I have seen.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

Regarding the avy and sig problems: Thanks to the great MT3, you can choose to only see "reduced" posts :) Without any signature and avatar...
Control Panel --> Minitokyo options -> Post Display --> Minimal
--> Problem solved
Don't you think?

Regarding the userpage problem, I quite agree with you... but as tama-neko already said, it's up to the member to put what he wants on his userpage... :/ dunno

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.