Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Global Warming? - Minitokyo

Global Warming?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Sometimes the facts that aren't associated with the popular point of view can be hard to find. Now's your chance. The URL below links to a series of videos pertaining to Global Warming.

http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=3

Fox will be airing a contrary view soon. ...I take this very seriously, as the production of energy, and how it is produced affects economies and the consumption of resources. ...Which in turn affect the quality of life for the bottom class/poor/impoverished in many ways. I encourage everyone, on either side of this issue to keep an open mind.

Thanks!

Ringbell

Ringbell

Rage!

Well, if someone is stupid enough not to see with their own eyes that the world is changing for the worse, you might need those videos.

The change is natural, we are only speeding it up.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Quote by RingbellWell, if someone is stupid enough not to see with their own eyes that the world is changing for the worse, you might need those videos.

Have you got any evidence that we are speeding it up?

I am invincible!

well..i think the sad point is...what now..i think the earth will not recover..and we human (loot?)it more+more...

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by RingbellWell, if someone is stupid enough not to see with their own eyes that the world is changing for the worse, you might need those videos.

Did you actually even download the videos? Modern-day observations pertaining to climate change were discussed significantly in these videos. I think it is very important for you to see these, so you can have a more balanced background to draw from.

merged: 11-16-2005 ~ 11:38am

Quote by Sinevawell..i think the sad point is...what now..i think the earth will not recover..and we human (loot?)it more+more...

To the contrary, history seems to show these charateristics are pretty standard, and that the earth has recovered from it before.

I agree Earth has been through quite a number of catyclismic events which brought life on this planet to the brink; suc as asteriod impacts, drastic climate change, supervolcanoes, ect. Yet after each event, life rejuvinated and returned. What we humans can do in regards to destruction pales in comparison to those event. In truth we do not make as big of an impact on our dynamic world as many of us think.

Signature
	Image[/img]

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Quote by griffonI agree Earth has been through quite a number of catyclismic events which brought life on this planet to the brink; suc as asteriod impacts, drastic climate change, supervolcanoes, ect. Yet after each event, life rejuvinated and returned. What we humans can do in regards to destruction pales in comparison to those event. In truth we do not make as big of an impact on our dynamic world as many of us think.

I agree with this. Although that still doesn't mean that we can go on and continue the pace as it is. I know that the pumping of gasses in the atmosphere screws up the climate - we, here were we are living in South Africa at least, are feeling a very slight twitch in the seasons - longer summers, dryer winters with occasional tropical bursts of rainstorms which really screws up the ecology.

What is this phase to the earth? After millions of years of seas of lava, meteorite showers, more eruptions, earthquakes, this phase in human history is merely an infectious pimple - which may leave a scar. Pollution does not always break down, the gasses in the atmosphere and in the polarcaps may or may not ever be cleansed. But life will adapt and survive. For a longer while at least than the time humans will be around. By the time the earth is ready to crumble we would have left long ago, but there will still be life down here.

Let me repeat myself: I am not saying that since the damage is so minor that we can ignore it. We should at least try to minimalise the damage already done and try to prevent further damage. But rest assured, the earth won't crumble while we're still around.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Simply put, the "damage" caused by anthropogenic CO2 emissions are not a siginicant contributor to global climate change at all ...That's why I provided the videos. We are increasing our energy demands and decreasing the efficiency of our systems in order to accomodate an irrational fear. ...It's the wrong way, and unformtunately, these unfounded actions will not only affect our economies, but will have a very real, negatice impact on the poor. ...People willl die due to irrational fanaticism affecting the energy industry. There is nothing wrong with environmental regulations. ...They are essential. ...Regulations without need/benefit do not help anything, and in fact they hurt.

It is very important for everyone to consider all the facts, not just the popular ones.

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

The most important thing in arguing about global wariming I've learned in the last years is that you can't prove that the current warming is related to industialization, but you also can't prove that it is a natural phenomenon.

All the data collected in the last 200 years (yes no longer) points to a human cause, but any earlier period can only be predicted similar to a weather report... and you all know how incorrect they can be.

So the only thing left is to protect the environment that's left by reducing CO² output, saving the rain forests, hugging some trees...

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Don't forget that the associated increases in costs of energy production will hurt economies. ...People will lose jobs. ...People won't be able to afford to buy pharmeceuticals, nor see the doctor when they should. ...People do suffer and die as prices increase. ...It may not be noticable. However, the next time we have a major recession or depression, and you see people burning whatever they can find to stay warm, remember there are cheap, time-proven, environmentally sound sources of energy that have been stifled and burdened down with regulations... ...All in the name of a cause that cannot be proven, and may be nothing more than the results of a fad and fanatacism.

Prudent investigation is necessary. Caution with legislature is essential. ...The decisions that are made in legislative policy will affect the economy and well-being of people throughout the world. ...These are the reasons I have presented this information here. ...I never saw it before, even though I was looking for a balanced perspective. I hope it was useful for those who actually viewed the movies.

...And on a side note, I agree that the rain forests are essential. However, in order to preserve them, they must be owned by someone who will take care of them. There are charities out there who will do this. ...I can't seem to find one though. If anyone knows of one, please post. I did find one link on reforesting stripped lands in Mexico. However, I couldn't find a link to donate for this specifically, and worse, it looks like the trees will be planted on land owned by 3rd parties and could be stripped again? ...Dunno. ...But the concern about the rainforests is a valid one, IHMO. ...It just seems wrong to be cutting down forests and not replant them...? ...Even coal-mining operations reclaim the land they disturb. (At least in the US.) One would figure logging companies could at least do that bit!

Cagari

Cagari

Eh?

I don't worry about the flooding, because God promised that He would never cause a major worldwide flood again. ^_^ That is what I believe. About the effects of the gases and stuff, no matter what comes our way, we'll live through it, and rebuild again, because we've been through stuff like this before. ^_^

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

I say leave the Earth to die. If humanity destroys itself it'll be its own fault. Humanity will probably ditch the Earth and live in space in the future.

Quote by Archer79Sometimes the facts that aren't associated with the popular point of view can be hard to find. Now's your chance.

... popular point of view in the USA...

oh well, I've read/watched enough stuff to believe the theory the most aknowledged by scientists (not by Bush picking the theroy, studies that he likes and saying after he's backed by Science).

Sure like any theory, it isn't sure 100 % but I like better trying to do things especially...

too many things to say but... but well, I've already been into a long conversation thread about that and I don't really want to repeat the experience.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

The earth is deteriorating, be it mainly due to human causes or natural causes.

We must do our part to conserve what we have left.

and cagari, please do not bring your religion into the picture. If we're just gonna sit here and do nothing just because your so called god promises what he promises in a book, this earth is going to die, be it due to flooding or whatever. I do not want to insult anybody, but if everyone's gonna just sit and preach about god instead of realising our plight and taking action, there is really something wrong with this world.

Kiralover182

Kiralover182

Songstress Ashes

Quote by CagariI don't worry about the flooding, because God promised that He would never cause a major worldwide flood again. ^_^ That is what I believe. About the effects of the gases and stuff, no matter what comes our way, we'll live through it, and rebuild again, because we've been through stuff like this before. ^_^

How could you say "god promised the he would never cause a major flood again"

For all we know there is no god. With the way the world is changing its ending up for the worst, This promise is unreal, If there was a god, there would not be the things we have today, like poverty and wars. The enviroment is severly changing and it is damaging the ecosystems which could cause floods, and more dangerous disasters. Tsumanies, earthquacks, volcanos, hurricanes and much more.

*Ashes

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

We're getting far from the point. This thread is not for religion. It's for Global Warming. And another thing. He may have promised no more more floods but what abuot those hurricanes like Katrina and Rita?

I don't think humans can really do much about it. Any attempt would probably end in failure because ther eare jsut too many variables to consider. I say jsut leave the earth for space. Anyone who wants to stay such as Cagari should be allowed to stay because God will protect them.

Cagari

Cagari

Eh?

Quote by Kiralover182For all we know there is no god. With the way the world is changing its ending up for the worst, This promise is unreal, If there was a god, there would not be the things we have today, like poverty and wars. The enviroment is severly changing and it is damaging the ecosystems which could cause floods, and more dangerous disasters. Tsumanies, earthquacks, volcanos, hurricanes and much more.

I'm not saying that I'm gonna lay back and just watch the world rot away. It's not like I make a fire and don't care about the smoke. I try my best to help keep the world clean, because even one person's actions count.

Oh yes, you cannot blame God for what He has not caused. Seriously, who brought this upon us, Him or us? Now think about it, is the world rotting away because He's making it do that, or is it a result of our own actions? This world is so polluted with sin that it's easy to blame God for everything.

Kiralover182

Kiralover182

Songstress Ashes

Cagari, it is a result of our actions. Being as if there was a god he wouldnt of cause this, we are drifting aaway from the topic at hand here. We care causeing the problems, and we should be the ones to do something about it. We are the future they say. So we can change this, sins also have nothing to do with this topic. Sins could create more havok from what this god is saying is bad. How do we know if these so called sins are bad. One person can not dictate there being bad. What we are doing the the environment it bad. That would more or less becalled a true sin.

*Ashes

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by Kiralover182One person can not dictate there being bad. What we are doing the the environment it bad. That would more or less becalled a true sin.

Umm... I hate to spam in my own thread but...

...A person has free will, and can chose between right and wrong. People aren't automatons.

...The fact that we live will put a strain on teh environment. ...It's a given. However, proper planning and management can make a positive impact. ...Personally, I think coal=powered energy in the USA is one of the best sources of energy. ...The human body emits H20 and CO2. ...Coal emits several other things, but CO2 and H2O vapor are the bulk of it. ...Unlike Natural Gas drilling... ...Which has a much less stringent set of reclaimation rules than coal mining... ...Or nuclear.. ...Which, while generally save has horrible biproducts that can last virtually forever...

It's a difficult equation, with economies, jobs, quality of life, environment, freedoms, etc. All in the balance. ...That's why I've provided these links, so that you can see that Global Warming may not be as bad as you were taught in school...

Kiralover182

Kiralover182

Songstress Ashes

Actully Archer, My schools have never said anything about global warming topics. Me im into these types of topics so I go to speeches and I watch things on tv about these topics. Yes we do have free will though many of us are not using this free will.

Yes these effects are everlasting, we can do things to prevent this which many people are choosing not to...

The Kyoto proposition is a worth while proposition, yet many countries are choosing not to because it may slow down production that we may not need.

*Ashes

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

You know there is a UN conference in Montreal, city in wich I live, that is ending on the 9th. The main subject of discussion was global warming and what to do with Kyoto. I won't go in-depth with this but here are several links on the issue:
By the way last Saturday happened the biggest march for the climate ever done, with 40 000 people gathering downtown mtl. I was there of course ;)

from the UN site: http://unfccc.int/2860.php
BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4476998.stm

about the march: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051203.wenviro3/BNStory/National/

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by Kiralover182Actully Archer, My schools have never said anything about global warming topics. Me im into these types of topics so I go to speeches and I watch things on tv about these topics. Yes we do have free will though many of us are not using this free will.

Yes these effects are everlasting, we can do things to prevent this which many people are choosing not to...

The Kyoto proposition is a worth while proposition, yet many countries are choosing not to because it may slow down production that we may not need.

To the contrary, the number I heard is that even if all those protocols were implemented an optimistic effect would only be a decrease in temperature of 0.6 degrees. ...I don't have a source though. :-(

And unlike Uranium daughter isotopes, CO2 can be easily broken down in nature.

...And when I was in school, I was given alot of "global warming is a fact, do something" propaganda. ...Which is why I felt motivated to spread an opposing viewpoint. ;-)

Kiralover182

Kiralover182

Songstress Ashes

Ahhh, I see what your talking about Archer.

Though that much change in the temprature, could still make drastic effects. The temprature could continue to gradullay decrease, which could lead to more of a colder world, though the heat is nice.

Here where I am. We are seeing the effects of Global warning, even the slightest changes we make could eb for the better within the warming situation.

*Ashes

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by Kiralover182Ahhh, I see what your talking about Archer.

Though that much change in the temprature, could still make drastic effects. The temprature could continue to gradullay decrease, which could lead to more of a colder world, though the heat is nice.

Here where I am. We are seeing the effects of Global warning, even the slightest changes we make could eb for the better within the warming situation.

Right, but at what cost to the economy, the life style of ordinary people like you and I, and even more importantly, the poor?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 43 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.