Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Choice between a notebook or a desktop. - Minitokyo

Choice between a notebook or a desktop.

page 1 of 1 23 total items

I feel that I need my own computer, and both of these computers are the same price, but that won't last long with the dell cataloge. The labtop I am thinking about buying is a XPS M140 for 1289. The main specks are Media Center E., 80 GB hard drive (I may get another one later on) Mobile Edge backpack, and a 8x CD/DVD burner upgrade. It also has pro/wireless 2200 which I will need for the internet. The desktop is the XPS 400. 160 GB, 16x CD/DVD drive, and 16x Max CD/DVD burner in the second bay, and a 17" flat panel display. The notebook had a 14.1" widescreen. Well, that is basicly it. They both cost the same, it will take me about 4 months, 5 days a week at 5.15 an hour to pay for the computer completly. I was also wanting to get a free Black Razar with activation, but I am not sure about the prices for that yet. Well, which computer would you choose?

!~* Best Friends Forever = Kaisui Tatsu ~ thingperson ~ PinkPrincessLacus *~!
Administrator of FFVV and Make-a-Friend
Signature Image

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

It depends if you want/need to be mobile. Desktops are easier to upgrade (so I hear) than laptops, so if you need something in the future take that into consideration. If you're a graphics person the bigger monitor is better. I think that the desktop would be more versitle in the types of programs you want to use, especially for speed. I was in this same boat a couple of years ago. Low and behold...I bought the desktop first, then got the laptop later. Figures. XD

My biggest piece of advice: Don't let the phone make your decision. ;)

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

I think that I will go for the desktop first, but I am afraid that the internet will fail. And sometimes a notebook is really handy for on the go times, like when you are waiting forever for your lunch to come to your table at a restaurant. I just want to know all of the benifits of both, since I really don't know about wireless internet and the computer models themselves. I can't wait to get one or the other though! but which one. . . There are so many good things about both...

Signature Image

if you're highly mobile, go with a laptop definitely

spider-x

spider-x

legendary rave master

hmm flip a coin or something see what has more memo and at lest a lot of gb if u now what i mean like 1200gb or some thing ya that's nice 1200gb lol

Signature
im the one and only rave master

Desktops for sure....im wasting half of my life at home infront of my com....more than 20 hour everyday so i guess laptop will burn haha.......

desktops easy upgrade stuff also not expensive as a laptops

First of all you have to ask yourself.
What is my main purpose for this computer that I am buying.
Is it for game?
Is it for digital imaging editing?
Is it for music/video encoding or is it just for normal everyday use?

Notebooks are mostly not upgradable, therefore before digging into your pocket.
Look into the specs carefully before actually buying it.

As for desktops the same thing also, make sure what you get now has the latest technologies so that your it can be future proof.

Here are two tips for getting a notebook

Processor: For Intel get a Intel Pentium M
Centrino is not a processor! It's a mobile Technology.

For AMD: AMD Turion 64.
AMD Turion 64 mobile Technology contains the Turion 64 processor.
Both do not hog battery life as much as their battery hungry cousins.
The Intel Pentium 4 and the AMD Athlon 64.

Use notebooks with DDR2, of course their will not be any performance difference
between DDR, but one advantage with DDR2 is it uses less power and thus
uses less battery power.

As for the desktop and notebook you want to buy.

For the desktop it's a pretty good choice. dual-core a future proof processor.
For the notebook it's a pretty good choice also, but it's up to you do decide if you
really want to get it or not.

Signature

gekiganger

Reckless Flyer

depends on what you're going to use it for :D for me if it's still in the house and not workstyle and you don't always bring it to a lan party I prefer desktop but if you're on the go then go for the laptop it's just those 2 things. decide on what you're going to do not at what is the highest :D

Rock n Roll FIRE!!
:D SIG DISABLED :D
Rock n Roll FIRE!!

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

It's a dell, desktop or not don't plan on upgrading it ever. If you built it yourself it would be a different story, but if you buy it from dell/hp/compaq/gateway/etc, when the time comes to upgrade, throw it out and buy a new one because they are not built to upgrade.

Signature Image

VindicatoR

VindicatoR

Greato!

I prefer a desktop pc cause i use it mostly for games and stuff. And a laptop is not really made for playing the top of the range games. But for work related stuff i would say a laptop is better choice when you're on the move.

Currently im away from home, visiting family :(. So i am using a laptop now cause i couldn't take my pc with me. So its not that bad, atleast i have a computer to work with :).

Look deeper into the system specs then you have. compare processor speed (since dell uses Intel you don't have to worry about AMD comparisons). If you are using the computer for gaming what kind of sound card or what kind of audio support does it have? what kind of video card? If you are using it for media does it support video in/out?

you said you were worried about the internet failing... well it won't. What you should be concerned with is how do I connect to the internet with either machine? If you are 56k then the laptop might not be equipt with a dialup modem. Do they connect to a wireless network? what about wired? what network do you have, or are capable of? Are you going on a trip and want to take it with you? do you want to use it at school?

These days laptops/notebooks are about equal with a desktop of the same price, so one good way to judge would be to look at the original price of both and see which one is more. And if all else fails ask your computer science teacher/professor, or go to a local computer store (not an electronics store, but one that specializes in computer parts) and ask what you can get with the same money and ask if it's better than what you've already selected.

One good thing about a pre-built (dell/compaq/gateway) is that you don't have to worry if it has problems when you first get it, you should have like 30 days to make sure it works.

Desktop. More powerful and easily evolutive

Desktop is better in ways of photoshop in my opionion but notebooks allow you to go mobile sometimes instead of sitting in the same spot forever you can walk around of lay down typing. :)

Signature Image A little birdy told you to .... FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

why are some laptops called thinkpads? can you still watch movies on them and stuff?

Quote by cloudymirror22why are some laptops called thinkpads? can you still watch movies on them and stuff?

You can not just call any laptop you see a ThinkPad. Only laptops build by IBM (Lenovo) can be called
ThinkPad. ThinkPad is a name made up by IBM. It's just a name and nothing else. And yes
you can watch movies and do other stuffs on it.

Signature

i prefer desktop more easy to upgrade better than notebook.
and for my wallet it's no risk :D

I have both...
I mean i use my desktop @ home but a laptop is so handy just to keep around!
i say if u can save enough cash get both...
u dont always need the best of either!

Laptops are convienant if you'll be moving around a lot and want to bring a computer with you. A desktop (I think you mean a regular computer by that?) is very powerful in space and speed and such. It's a hard decision really, I can see why you're unsure about it ^^

Just remember that computers are easier to fix and upgrade while laptops are hellish to do so! (At least for me)

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I have a laptop, but that's because it's convenient to bring it back and forth from school without having to worry about flash drives, and I always have my files with me. So I use my laptop. However, I have a desktop too, that I use mostly to play music (because the speakers are obviously a lot better), to store extra files, and just as a computer to use when my laptop isn't working so well, or I just feel like it. I dunno.

It depends on the situation you're in. I think laptops are better for students, as they offer more flexibility and you can take them with you. For example, if you have a laptop, you can finish writing that essay that's due today in the car on the way to school.

However, if you really only find yourself ever needing to use a computer at home, and on the rare occasions when you do need to use a computer somewhere else, it's always somewhere where there are computers provided for you (i.e., the library, or a friend's house) then a desktop would be better, since not only is it cheaper, it is more powerful, and it can have better speakers and more memory.

Just my two cents.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

Thank you guys so much! I would love to get both, but I will probably end up getting a desktop, just because of the power and memory involved. I love hearing your thoughts though! Keep them coming!

Signature Image

My first purchase was a laptop, and it was pretty adicting. I've owned desktops since, it's been very useful in terms of upgrading and so on (this can be extremely important, but remember you might have to gut your desktop box at some point as well, new motherboard on up, which can also cost money over time), but there's just something about working on a laptop, wherever I want at home or outside of home, that has appeal for me. I sit at a desk all day long at work and it kills me to try doing that at the desk at night too. ;-)

The biggest problems with laptops are that if they break or you want some new technology, it's murder, and the industry hasn't really caught onto the notion of building a laptop you can upgrade, the cads. Thinking about this as a 3-5 year investment, and with the idea in mind that you're leaning toward a desktop, I'd say go for the desktop, my own preferences aside. :-) You can swap out some components over time to upgrade (if you're comfortable with that, and it's totally not a difficult thing to do either, as long as everything's compatible).

I would look around some more, you might be able to get what you want for cheaper. You might try looking at a place like Best Buy or Curcit City and see if they have what you want for cheaper. And personaly I would not buy a Dell.

Game programmer and Anime freak

tanteikun

tanteikun

Kawaikunai!

I also heard some bad things about the keyboard on Dell Laptops
people who have used a Dell Laptop before, complain that typing is uncomfortable. I am not sure whether it is true or not, just thought that is something that you might want to be briefed about.

Signature
Shinjutsu wa Itsumo Hitotsu

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.