Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Desktop wallpaper disappearing - Help! - Minitokyo

Desktop wallpaper disappearing - Help!

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

I have no idea why my desktop started doing this, but every time I turn my computer on my desktop's wallpaper is no longer there and a solid color is. (This also happens when I start up Microsoft Word). I can usually change my desktop back to a wallpaper when I go to the desktop properties and choose the "Desktop" tab, but it doesn't always change back to the wallpaper when I choose the wall I want up. I'm ending up having to change the color (which loads very slow) and then picking the wallpaper. Then it will work, but not always, sometimes I have to do this multiple times.
A friend of mine recommended something about having my desktop set to "view as a web page" and it shouldn't be. I think I found that button, but it wasn't checked. I'm trying running stuff now with the box checked, but now the color of my background is behind the text and icons on my desktop. I've never had that before so I know my computer wasn't set to this setting before this problem occurred.
The only other thing that's been mysteriously happening in conjunction with this mystery, is Microsoft Word will suddenly close from a "Runtime Error" (the error number I don't know) and this has happened multiple times. I don't remember downloading anything weird within the past week and I've run Symantec Ani-virus, Spybot, and Ad-ware. They've all found nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have happened to my computer? Thanks! OX

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

with this kind of info it could be anything...

1. Active Desktop: You need it to display JPG backgrounds. If you're using a BMP wallpaper turn it off. Never set it to display webpages as Background (big security issue!) since it could display an 'evil' webpage.

2. Memory: displaying BMP wallpapers or rendering JPG with active desktop need memory, if you running low on that it could cause the wallpaper to disapear or word tu crash.

3. Defective DLL components could cause Word to crash, only thing i know (since i can only gueess the version) is to reinstall Office an check.

4. If multiple applications or the whole system crashes it could also be a hardware problem. Most likely the AC or mainboard.

4. You have a virus/malware/spyware/trojan on the system, even if it's not detected... only save way would be to erase an reinstall

Best solution would be to ask your soft-/hardware vendor instead of a friend :)

hayate392

hayate392

#1 Badass MUAHAHAHHA

^___^;;;;

#1 Badass 21st Century Killing Machine
Signature

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I'd agree with bindermichi.

In general don't touch the homepage option. Memory is always handy. If Office is defective, reinstalling will most likely fix Office related issues. I don't know but it doesn't sound like a virus. Viruses would be more damaging. But keep the defenses up anyway. If all else fails ask someone who fix computers for a living.

Good luck!

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Quote by joemighty16I'd agree with bindermichi.

In general don't touch the homepage option. Memory is always handy. If Office is defective, reinstalling will most likely fix Office related issues. I don't know but it doesn't sound like a virus. Viruses would be more damaging. But keep the defenses up anyway. If all else fails ask someone who fix computers for a living.

Good luck!

Please don't dig up threads that are
dead half a century ago.

Signature

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.