Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How are Catholics and Protestant different? - Minitokyo

How are Catholics and Protestant different?

page 1 of 1 23 total items

I was just wandering how they were different. I'm a protestant so I don't really know much about Catholics. I know Catholics have a pope and the Vatican (my username!) but how do Catholics believe they go to heaven? Protestants by believing in Jesus and accepting into our heart. I don't really like the idea of Vatican though because the members of the Vaticans are humans too. They aren't special or more likely to go to heaven. Are Catholics and Protestant really different enough to be considered to be called a different religion?

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

I wouldn't. For me Protestants, Catholics, Anglican, Greek/Russian Orthodox are all Christians for me. The basis are still accepting and believing in Jesus, but the different denominations merely stress different points. But they all use the Bible - some use other scripts as well. These denominations only have a different way of practicing what is at its base the same religion - it merely split a few times.

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

The major difference between Catholics and Protestants is that the Protestance reject 5 of the 7 sacraments of the Catholic faith...
every things else is the same...

retire

supersay

supersay

Yo! Wass'up...?

Well... All of the differences are made because of some old histories which you can read from other sources... So the main point is, I don't care.... :D

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I think the basic difference betweem the two is tha tone was created by the reformation. the reformation was to change how cathiolism was back then and it started from martin luther and thesis.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

I guess there aren't much difference.
I wonder what made Martin Luther come up with that idea. Well now wondering about the pope. Do only Roman Catholics believe in the pope or do all the other Catholics do?

julian1

julian1

Pursuer Of Darkness

martin luther came up with the idea to break away because the church was selling a cert called indulgences, which means, anyone can atone for their sins if they pay a sum of money. the church people were corrupted those days.

Signature

Oh yeah I remeber that. The indulgences. I learned that in school like last quarter in school (Now learning Imperialism). Didn't really learn about the rules and the belief of Catholisism so made this thread

it's all about emphasising different points of christian beliefs
history (the reformation and all that) plays a big role too
frankly, i don't know why the differences are so important since the basic beliefs are the same

A few other differences, as I understand, is that in Catholicism, you aren't supposed to be able to divorce a spouse, and if you do, the Catholic church won't remarry you unless your previous spouse is now dead, or you're marrying them again.
It's one of the reasons that Church of England started. The King wanted to be able to divorce spouses who displeased him, but the Catholic Church wouldn't allow it.
I'm not sure, but I've been told that Protestants have a more relaxed view on divorce.

Hey just found an interesting fact on the Roman Catholic from my friend who I didn't know was a Roman Catholic until today. He said it's basically almost same with Protestant but to confess your sins, in RC they have to confess to a priest. You're not able to speak directly to God. Also I asked him about the pope and said that he made up the rules about the Catholicism or something like that.

Quote: I'm not sure, but I've been told that Protestants have a more relaxed view on divorce.

Although I personally believe that divorce is wrong, I think that unfortunately it is far more common in the Church today than it should be.

As far as how Catholics and Protestants are different; in my opinion, the main differences are that Protestants don't have much to do with the Pope, we don't place as much emphasis on Mary, and there is more emphasis on a personal relationship rather than going through priests for forgiveness. However, as I have never been classed as a 'catholic', I may be making some generalisations here so please forgive me ^^

All in all, I think we are all Christians regardless of denomination if we believe in Jesus; that He is the Son of God, died for our sins and rose again. Minor differences such as where and how to worship, whether real wine should be used in communion/eucharist, etc are just silly issues that have caused more division than they are worth.

^^ Sorry if this comes across as rambling.

Yeah divorcing is a serious problem even in the Christian community. I really disagree with divorcing but the people just seem to just divorce as if it was easy as taking a walk in the park. If they were gonna divorce why did they marry in the first place? To marry is to promise eternal love to each other! Man the world today is so messed up.

Quote by vatican92Yeah divorcing is a serious problem even in the Christian community. I really disagree with divorcing but the people just seem to just divorce as if it was easy as taking a walk in the park. If they were gonna divorce why did they marry in the first place? To marry is to promise eternal love to each other! Man the world today is so messed up.

The problem is that Marriage has become too commercial, and divorce too accessible.
You can get married in a mere twenty minutes in Las Vegas at a drive thru chapel. (Yeah, real spiritual, guys). And you can get a divorce almost as easily. There's no pressure for people to try and work out their problems or to just talk to each other for a change.

GenmaSaotome

lover not a fighter

The difference is tremendous if you are Irish Catholic.
i.e., sinn fein
politically speaking that is :o

Cagari

Cagari

Eh?

I have heard that Catholics believe in doing good works for salvation, while Protestants(personally, I am Unitarian) believe in accepting Jesus into your heart for salvation. Catholics(I'm sorry if this is incorrect) also pray to saints and to Mary, believing that if you pray to the saints, that they will get your message to God and God will bless you according to the saint you prayed to because all of the saints have different "blessings" attached to them(is that right? I'm sorry if it isn't) Catholics also go to the priest to confess their sins to. Protestants believe that you can confess your sins to God directly and not need a priest to do it.
Also, Catholics pay respects to the Pope and Protestants do not.

Shamshiel

Shamshiel

Crawling Chaos

It really depends on the denomination, there are like 350 of them. Calvinists believe in predestination, that a person's destination after death is predetermined, for example. I do know that all these denominations reject papal authority, but I'm unsure if they share any other traits.

erm... heard once in history that
in catholicism, the church has political power, while protestant churches do not have political power..
my history teacher mentioned some other things but i forgot... it was one year ago..

Carmen

Carmen

Alaba a Dios

I think that if a person believes that Jesus is his/her Lord and Savior, and has Him in his/her heart, that person is a Christian. After all, all this sacraments, rituals, etc. come from the minds of the people, not exactly from God himself. If you see, no one has all the true, but God. And if you don't count Jesus, there is no human (live or death) that can claim, truthfully, that he is God. Then, no human religion can be the Truth. It only matter the relationship that you have with God.
I am protestant, evangelic. My church is part of a movemment caled "Centralamerican". We try to follow all of the Scriptures, specially the New Testament. I have read the Bible several times, and this is one of the few things that you see in there about how to live the christian life:
"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath." Acts 15:19-21

Quote by CarmenI think that if a person believes that Jesus is his/her Lord and Savior, and has Him in his/her heart, that person is a Christian. After all, all this sacraments, rituals, etc. come from the minds of the people, not exactly from God himself. If you see, no one has all the true, but God. And if you don't count Jesus, there is no human (live or death) that can claim, truthfully, that he is God. Then, no human religion can be the Truth. It only matter the relationship that you have with God.
I am protestant, evangelic. My church is part of a movemment caled "Centralamerican". We try to follow all of the Scriptures, specially the New Testament. I have read the Bible several times, and this is one of the few things that you see in there about how to live the christian life:
"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath." Acts 15:19-21

Wow you must be a very faithful Christian. I haven't read the bible through once. I always read Revelations over and over because that book seemed the most interesting to me. With all the information about the end of the world, it always caught my attentions.

Carmen

Carmen

Alaba a Dios

Thank you, and I hope that you will read it too. I think that reading the Biblie is one of the better ways to know God better. That and praying :)

Oh, my. So many comments. I apologize, I don't mean to come in here and step on any body's feet, so forgive me for I'm a Catholic (and most Catholics step on people's toes unknowingly). I am a Catholic. I was baptized Presbyterian, grew up in the Lutheran teachings, I currently work with many Protestants actively (Baptists, Evangelicals, etc), however I was raised to be a Scientist. I will always be a scientist, but I am also Catholic. I attend both Roman and orthodox Catholic Churches.

Quote by vatican92I was just wandering how they were different. I'm a protestant so I don't really know much about Catholics.

I'm would very much like to answer all of your questions (If you permit me to debate), with references to support my statements. However this will take time and many posts. But I encourage comments and debate and I will try and answer everyone's questions, protestant, Catholic, or Atheist.

Many of you are saying a lot of half truths. Well, they are more like slivers of truth. I'm not saying that these beliefs don't separate the denominations, but more that no one here has addressed the root of the problem, the true issue which sets the bigger picture into focus. You see, it does bother me. It's the duty of a Protestant minister to explain the beliefs of their faith, and the factual differences between them. It's the duty of a Catholic to know his or her own faith fully, which much of my generation does not (age 0-50). And when I see comments as many of those mentioned above, I know, I KNOW, the Protestant ministers are not doing their job. Catholics are not following their faith. And then both sides point fingers at each other saying "I was a .(religion A)., but now I am a .(religion b), therefore .(religion b). is better and always will be better than .(religion a)."

NEWSFLASH: You are responsible for you own beliefs. If you don't research, test, and truly believe in your own understandings of faith and morals, than you are doing an injustice to yourself.

Truth is, Martin Luther, the great reformer, was very just in standing up against the Pope of his time, and might I say very "Catholic" in doing so. The Great Reformation should not have created the great schism that it did. It's really what's been happening afterwards that has created the schisms. You see, if Lutherans would truly follow the faith of Martin Luther, they would be closer to the Catholic faith than they realize.
-----------------

So, to get back to the subject, "What is the difference between Protestants and Catholics?" One word, Eucharist.

Eucharist is what we call the body and blood of Jesus Christ. To elaborate, when the priest consecrates (blesses by transformation) the bread and wine at the altar (table), Catholics no longer believe this is just bread and wine anymore. We truly believe that this IS Jesus Christ's real body and his real blood, even though all we see is bread and wine. This is why we "protect" the Eucharist that is left over after the mass (church service). We place the Eucharist in a tabernacle (a box, usually made of precious metals and locked). More about this in other posts.

Protestants do not believe in the true presence of Jesus in their communion (blessing of bread and wine). They believe it is a symbol and nothing more. They do have valid arguments to support this claim. First, they believe Christ died on the cross once, and for all time. Therefore it is not needed to be repeated again and again. Like Jewish law teaches, eating people is cannibalism and is forbidden. Finally, a good protestant theologian will argue their interpretations of the gospel points to "symbolism" in the last supper (Jewish passover supper). They will make reference to other uses of symbolism used in other passages from old testament teachings to support their claims.

This difference is THE ROOT issue of our current separation. This argument in belief begins the spawning of other ideas and beliefs throughout the Protestant history. Yet, and I make this a strong point, the Catholic Church is the the ONLY Church that has never added, modified, or removed Doctrine (more on Doctrine in other posts) since the churches beginning. Other Protestant churches are always changing their doctrines. To prove my point, Martin Luther believed in the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. Now, it is not part of Lutheran doctrine.

Pop Quiz: Who formulated the Catholic Doctrine?

My Catholic Rebuttal to the Protestant: I love to hear a good Protestant theologian give the numerous passages and testimonies on how cannibalism is wrong, the Jews were against this and that, etc. because it sets themselves up for the downfall of their own logic. They will probably reference John 6:48-50, and of course some other gospels saying "see, it is bread, nothing more" And yet, they stop there. Go back and keep reading. Keep reading all the way through to John 6:51-69. Throughout the whole dialog, Jesus is saying, "For my FLESH IS MEAT INDEED, and my BLOOD IS DRINK INDEED"(John 6:55)!(Note: I am referencing the Protestant's well accepted "King James" version of the bible) Of course, it says his body and blood is body and blood a throughout John 6:51-69. But here in that verse, Jesus wants to make crystal clear what he means. Protestant: "but but, this is not Jewish, it goes against God's word. The Jews would not have done this." Catholic: CORRECT! 100% Correct! Keep reading... John 6:60-61 Jesus's disciples basically said WTF! In John 6:66, they left Jesus. Remember Jesus came to Jerusalem on ass being praised. But then Protestants wonder, "why did they change their attitude, only to put Jesus to death?" Hello! This was the point they turned away. This is the point they started to second guess Jesus and his teachings. Do you seriously think his disciples would have walked away from Jesus if he had really meant just symbolism through ordinary "bread and wine?" NO! To them, he WAS talking about cannibalism. And finally John 6:67-68, "Then said Jesus unto the twelve, 'Will ye also go away?' Then Simon Peter answered him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." Only the 12, er 11 Apostles stayed with him. And then Judas betrayed him, etc etc. Is this starting to make a little more sense?

One more thing, how about the argument of celebrating the Eucharist "multiple times" as opposed to one. Well, this is a concept that the Protestants have a hard time comprehending. You see, Catholics also believe that the Eucharist is only celebrated once, only once and for all time. But then how can one celebrate the Eucharist over and over again? Well, this is an example of Church doctrine getting changed by the protestants because of a lack in the faith of mystery (more on this in another post). Catholic doctrine teaches the Eucharist can only be celebrated once, yet once through many and all celebrations of the Eucharist for all time. For many generations this has been a mystery, but for those with a simple grasp of time travel & higher dimensions, one can understand: if a being is outside our current space-time, that being can make one object appear in many places at many points in time, and yet still be the same, one, object. But maybe protestants don't believe in theoretical physics, or Einstein either(^_^)

Well, that was a lot, and if you read all of this, I sincerely thank you. Please feel free to comment, question, and debate. I welcome all. And I hope this is the beginning to answering your question. ;)

merged: 12-01-2005 ~ 11:39pm
Hello, I'm back again. Nobody has commented on my previous post. Either many people are contemplating over my statements, or the people flat out don't care. Oh well, I said I would be back to post more info, so here I am.

Quote by vatican92I know Catholics have a pope and the Vatican (my username!) but how do Catholics believe they go to heaven? Protestants by believing in Jesus and accepting into our heart. ....Are Catholics and Protestant really different enough to be considered to be called a different religion?

If your protestant minister has been teaching you this (or leading you to believe this in so many words, same difference) then I apologize. You see, Christianity is a religion, as too Shinto, Muslim, Buddhism, etc. But Catholicism, Lutheran, Baptist, Seventh-day Adventist, etc, are all Denominations of Christianity. How do Catholics believe we get to heaven? The same as all Christians do, by following the teachings of Jesus Christ and accepting him in your hearts as the true Son of God.

How people have interrupted Jesus's teaching is where we get into various denominations. People throughout history has disagreed with the teaching of Catholic church, (the very first church I might add, founded by Jesus Christ, which no other denomination can claim. If you don't believe me look it up in any almanac) and it has always been for one reason:

People have disagreed with Church doctrine. This has happens from three angles:
- People didn't understand the interpretation, therefore disagree
- People were mislead as to the true interpretation (Catholic clergy, lay people, and non-catholics are to blame, and still to blame for it today)
- People disagree because it conflicts with their own personal morals (like hot topics: divorce and annulment)

Quote by vatican92I don't really like the idea of Vatican though because the members of the Vaticans are humans too. They aren't special or more likely to go to heaven.

That's right, they too are human. You can talk to them :) They are not anymore special than you or I, or the pope, or your minister, or the president, ....or are they? It depends are your definition of "special."

In the field of Physics, Einstein was special. In the field of leadership, President Kennedy was special. In the field of Basketball, Michael Jordan was special. Those who have 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 year college degrees are all special. Those in our armed forces are special. So, why can't priests, monks, nuns, etc be special too just like ministers?

You see, there is something about this that narrows one's focus on the term "special." It's because we are taking about the field of God. The afterlife. The difference between eternal damnation of pain and suffering or eternal glory of peace and tranquility. We all want to go to heaven. And when we understand a single cell of truth about heaven, we are want to proclaim our beliefs as true and if necessary break the minds of those who do not conform to our own idea's and understandings of that truth. Am I being harsh? Think about it. How many times have you said, "You just don't understand," or "your dumb, you're going to hell," or even just shake your head and think those things? I admit I've done it too. And to this day the whole reason there still is not a single religion is because we are all neglecting the one attribute that so many teachers of other religions, including Jesus Christ has continuously tried to teach us....Love, love through forgiveness and patience. Or, as in Jesus's words, the greatest of all commandments is to love God. The second, "...is to love thy neighbor as thyself." And then all other commendants would fall into place.

In my opinion, I would want people to have patience with me and forgive me all of my transgrations, so I can learn to be the same kind of person for others. As an example, the next time a car cuts me off instead of giving him/her the finger or my angry put-downs, instead I remember to say a prayer that his/her day goes better, that God may take theer anger and stress away. Something more to think about.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

Its called transubstantiation and consubstantiation I'm not sure on the spelling, also the sacraments, and some other stuff I forget, all in all Catholics ! wooooot

Signature
Avatar + Signature made by TripleG :D Thanks

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.