Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Chobits: What if persocoms were real? (And if you had one?) - Minitokyo

Chobits: What if persocoms were real? (And if you had one?)

Tagged under Chobits

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 102 total items

While I was watching Chobits, I felt a bit uncomfortable. Not because of the risque references, but weirdly enough, the debate over humans vs robots. Sure Chi was cute and not just any robot, but I still found it odd that she could take the place of a woman in Hideki's heart. It reminded me of Bicentennial Man -one of my least liked films that also addressed the issue of robots and their place in society.

So, if persocoms like Chi were real, what would you use them for, and would you agree to a race that was different, but undoubtedly more perfect and efficient than humans?

julian1

julian1

Pursuer Of Darkness

maybe i'll make it real, like in Bicentennial Man.

Signature

it wouldbe pretty cool to have you know for those that have morals.But like everything in life
its human to get emotionally attached to whatever like your favorite manga or your favorite anime or your ipod. Once you get attached to it it becomes apart you say like someone stealing you manga, anime,and your ipod youd feel real sad like someone ripped , burn ,or destroyed someting you love so dear.Its like killing a persocom like chi with all the emotions that you shared.Hideki didnt have somebody to take care or have someone in his personnal life.As for how we would use its up to the persicoms owner moral of how to properly treat the persicom .And as far as getting use to a race different to ours its hard to tell with so many people that havent even as far appearances go.

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Well i don't think robots are really classed as that much different to humans, if you think about it scientifically. Our brain is just biological tissues and all our thinking and movements are created from electrical impulses sent throughout our body. If we say that someone such as einstein was human and someone with serious brain problems who cant even think was human, then there is wide room for debate.

Robots are run on electrical impulses as well, their just not made biologically and would require highly advanced creation of a brain to create the emotion and learning capabilities that (MOST) humans have. I believe the thinking patterns of a human could be replicate din a robot, just not yet.

The problem with humans is that their selfish and stupid, if persocoms were made real i think one of three things would happen:
1) Just like the anime they would be used to subsitute human relations as they can be manipulated into the perfect partner for each individual
2) They would be used productively and subjected to labors such as sweatshop and factory work, however you wouldn't consider putting emotions into such a robot right?
3) Some people would become jealous of the persocoms because they are so much more perfect and then a nice little war would break out where groups of people would rally up and destroy every persocom they can get their hands on :D

Personally i would like to have a persocom, because humans just suck

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

littlejonny has a point. we must remember though that robots will always have limitations.

i also found it kinda disturbing that some people in Chobits prefer to love persocoms. are people that bad that an object mimicking a human would be better?

also, i don't think robots would constitute as another race cause technically they are created objects just like the computer and the toaster. but many, many years from now, who knows? morals may have been changed to include robots...

PersocomChi

PersocomChi

Flame Haze

I wish there was! I hope someone will invent these incredible machines and I hope one of them looks like Chii ^^. I'm trying to improve my computer programming skill to program an OS and hopefully I WISH I can make a persocom. But I know that in Chobits, the persocoms movement and responses are unrealistic because it takes many calculations for the computer to take each step because each movement has a different angle, vicosity, etc. And the soft skin.. oh my god.. how the hell do they make robot skin look sso real and soft XD man I wish we got this kind of techonology... artificial skin that is soft, has a texture of human skin and doesnt rot. Another point is ... well in the manga.. the tirol manager and hideki were talking about the 'switch' .. well thats..... no comment LOL

Chi is so cute I admit that, she looks so innocent when she perform her actions. I love her so much. <3

I would use my persocom as my personal note taker and help me in my every day life. Atleast I have someone to share my thoughts. It would be so nice to share it with a persocom because it will never tell others your secrets. And its so cool that you can tell your computer what you need to research on and it will automatically search the answer for you, you dont even need to look by your self. And last thought.. they can cook and do many other things for me.. omg the possiblities!

Signature

my persocom would work for me an then with the money i'd buy another. get that to work and repeat so i get rich and own hundreds of them.
i could rent some out as hookers or call girls,use others as maids and servants. oh man that would be a sweet life.

hmmmm...kinda like cloning ethics...i just did a presentation on that, so yeah i wonder how humans would accept Persocoms into society, and as mechpiolt said not only do morals have to be changed, but probably laws (i, robot) to govern their 'behaviour' would have to be put in place.

But on a seperate note, i'd love to have a persocom, only as a friend and to use the rpg playing function they have, how awesome would it be to have a party that never ditched you? Oh, and a persocom could do the thing i could like never do,i.e housekeeping, cooking...etc...

The odd thing is that someone might try to capitalize on a robot with emotions. Like was discussed in Chobits, Chii or whatever robot could still get its data wiped in whatever fashion. That would take having to format your hard drive to a whole new level. A lot of hardware is proprietary in some fashion as well. How far would one go to protect the AI?

Patlabor13

Patlabor13

The Last Sane Man

I'd use persocoms in their full capacity as a computer, as well as the robotic labor that comes with it, and they have human form for a reason people so nya. For a little depth into the whole machines in robot form, as well as cyborgs, check out the Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence novel, After The Long Goodbye, which is actually a prequel to the second movie.

Anyone see that episode of Futurama where Fry was able to download any person into a robot shell? Kinda like that, except plural persocoms. Would that make it a raid array? Good times.

I shall reveal my FPS secret technique. Shoot em in the face... Don't tell anyone, OK?

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

ive seen that Futuram ep

anyway its a whole can of worms

with the AI and all, say if it gets to that stage, it will bring up a whole bunch of ethics, plus say someone starts hacking into them and making them hurt or even kill people, there would have to be some kinda protection against that

alot of the emotional stuff is covered in Chobits. There would be to an extent on how far you would take the relationship, if its just an accessory for doing tasks from note taking to internet and such, then that would be fine, but would we develop the AI so that we can interact more on an emotional level? or even allow the AI to get that "smart"?, there is also the factor of people who just are too socially inept to talk to other people, so in turn would get their own persocom, and without fear of rejection it would make a perfect companion

but having said that, it would be interesting to have something like that, dunno if i personally would have something small like sumomo ^^ or something more full sized like chii

Signature Image

MizuhofanFFX2

MizuhofanFFX2

Mizuho Kazami's fan - FFX2 fan

yeah i like have one thingg like Chii, but just like a companion,a game friend, a device to connect to internet, a notebook, all over like a servant higgh-class, not a girlfriend or wife (if they combine tech like in GITS SAC may be they will be like a lovers - so am i a pervert guy? ha ha ha ) .
so event they have high-class emotion system but not behave like Chii ( went i watch Chobits the way it out like Chii want Hidaki only belong to her and no one can have him - a real girl.

talk that way i like a thing like Chii but i'll still have a real girlfriend or a real wife. so event they - prosocom - have emotions they still can't replace a real woman. They can not make childrens for you. am i right?

rycerz

Fearful into the unknown

I dont know, since Chi was not an ordinary Persocom (she was one of the Chobits)
so i think most people would not be satisfied with them, couse they would expect a Persocom to act human (but he wont...) Having a Persocom (why I'm typing it with a capital letter ?: / ) would be very handy but it would be just a robot.... which can help you watch ero sites :D.....
But who nows, maybe somewhere, sometime in the future.

Tinbad

Tinbad

Cold Hearted

Sadly I havnt seen the show -_-

But the subject you brought up has been debated about alot, the fact is that if their body is robotic, it dosnt mean they can learn to have a personality or even some human characteristics.
The mind, despite whether or its biological or not still functions in the same manner...

If it had that technology today, i rather get a PET.
Because like most have personality, maybe one day they can turn against human kind and destroy us all!
thats y i prefer PET, they r like pokemon only in computer XD. But it would be a bad idea that everything would have a PET entry.

I dont think perso coms r much different from humans because humans make them to be like humans so they r like humans in a metal body.And to answer the thing i would use a persocom to do research.

GearStalker05

GearStalker05

En Memoria

Interesting question. Even more interesting responses. As much as I think that it would be cool to have my own Persocom, I can see several problems with the concept of making Persocoms real.

My first piece of evidence is the Second Rennaisance scenario (anyone who's seen The Animatrix knows what I'm talking about). Humans are generally a selfish species who focus only on their own needs; and as a result, there will be those who will use Persocoms for perverted means. (Remember the fable of the Nightingale...) Also, an artificial lifeform, not just persocoms, posesses a certain level of intelligence. Because of this, A.I.s will only function for human servitude for so long before the AI becomes sentient (self-aware). Because of mankind's selfish pride, they will respond to the sentient AIs in the worst way possible. The end result will be either the abolition of any intelligent technology, or a possible AI uprising.

The other problem I can see occuring is with the design of the Persocoms themselves. I speak from the United States, where females have, and are still becoming more verbal in feminine rights. (before anyone says anything, I am a male who agrees with most aspects of the feminist movement.) I'm not trying to step on any toes, but I doubt that most women would be thrilled about the marketing of machines built in a female appearence. I can forsee at least two outcomes in this situation: Either the feminists will demand the development of male Persocoms (for those who've seen the entire series, is there such thing?), or they will find a way to completely ban the marketing and the development of Persocoms in general.

In any case, if I had a persocom of my own, I would teach it to assist me in my technical work (I tend to do alot of work on PCs...).

Signature Image
You got what you wanted...but you got what you hate...

If I had a persocom I don't know what I would do. I can't even get a computer now, I'm using one at my college right now. I doubt I could afford it, but I guess I would get a human size one so I could have a home cooked meal once in a while. Chii was a different persocom. She had free will and could go against her programming if she wanted to. Hideki said he loved Chii because she was Chii. Even if she wasn't a Chobits she still felt happiness and sadness. A program will tell her when to be happy or sad, but she chose on her own. A normal persocom is like a cute computer, but Chii or even Yuzuki are so complex that a human can't really control them no matter what they had programmed them to do, much like how you can't forcibly change a human. She may not be human, but she is still alive. Chii proves this on the last episode. That's all I'm telling you, watch it for yourself!

pn0yvstyle

pn0yvstyle

The Terror of Death

I would buy one for the sole purpose of it being a useful as a person but with computer capabilities like searching something in an instance once u ask a question or sumthing. I wouldn't be like sum person who buys one just kuz he cant get a gyrl or sumthing haha. THe prices would be up there tho. An interesting topic indeed.

lol I'd like to have one just to hang around at school =D.

mintytwinblademaiden

mintytwinblademaiden

swords love me

I think it would be awesome if we had persocoms...I think that humans in our day and age would probably abuse them for disturbing *cough* vulgar *cough* reasons cause that's just how people in this world are. I personally, cause I'm just that way, would probably befriend all the persocoms I met. The humans in this world would probably abuse persocoms, and I don't want to know how some of the people in more of the frowned upon countries would use them, no offense to anyone I don't mean it to you I'm just using stereotypical views of each country I haven't actually been there. I don't think I would have a problem with a higher race of beings than people as long as there was no slavery between either party and everyone was seen as equal. I don't think any of this could happen anytime soon though because of the problems on this planet, I mean, we can't even get along with each other right now, so how could we get along with another set of beings or persocoms? I think we'll just hav to wait and see what happens.

Aspiring teen fiction author

It'd be kool to have a persocom. And It'd would be kool if i could teach mine to make me the ultimite hand lotin! my hands could be super soft! And I'd like to talk to it when I'm bored.

merged: 02-22-2006 ~ 01:58am
OR..i could use it as a phone! I'd hear my mom yell, "Sweetie pie, your phone's ringing!" so i'd call up my persocom, answer it's phone talk with my bff 4 5 hours, and not have to pay! And it could record episodes of inuyahsa, kenshin,fruba,chobits, mew mew power, one picse and Bobobo-bo-bobobo 4 me!^_^ I'd B in my happy place....

Oh i think,taht wpuld be very cool.
I mean,the pc can do my homework **

ShrinkNerv4Eva

ShrinkNerv4Eva

Wanna-be Anime Junkie

Well as against it as I am, I probably would fall in love with it just as everyone else in the manga did.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 102 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.