Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Paranoia Agent - Have you seen this outstanding series? - Minitokyo

Paranoia Agent - Have you seen this outstanding series?

Tagged under Paranoia Agent

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Review on Paranoia Agent: From DvD Cover:

"Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that there isn't someone actually after you!" There has been a rash of seemingly random beatings in Tokyo. Each description of the attacker has been the same: a juvenile with a bent baseball bat and a pair of golden inline skates. The two detectives assigned to the case have been unable to find a connection between the victims. The deeper they investigate, the stranger and more dangerous the case gets. Will this mysterious criminal be caught before he kills someone else? Who will be his next target?

STORY: The story by Satoshi Kon and Seishi Minakami is the strangest to come out of Japan in a long time. Part "Perfect Blue" and part "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit", this is a suspenseful, twisted, and engrossing journey into madness and dementia.

ACTING: The Japanese cast is fantastic. Everyone from Toshihiko Seki as Detective Mitsuhiro to Mamiko Noto
really get into their roles. The most impressive performance is the one by popular voice actress Kotono Mitsuishi. Once you meet her character of Harumi, you will understand why she is one of the best in the business.

FAN SERVICE: There is some nudity, panty shots, and a sex scene. Trust me when I say, it's not erotic in any way. Similar to what he did in "Tokyo Godfathers", the episode titles are disguised as billboards.

CONCLUSION: Once again, Satoshi Kon has struck anime gold with "Paranoia Agent". This is an anime made by adults, for adults. There are no robots, aliens, or ninja commandos from hell. The only demons you will find are the ones that live inside everyone. "Paranoia Agent" is not centered around one central character. Instead, each episode features a different character affected by the mysterious attacker. The subject and action develop like ripples in a pond. This is one anime you just can't casually stand by and watch. Like any good mystery, there are clues and hints to what's going on hiding in plain sight. Blink once, and you will miss a vital clue. You have to use the left side of your brain with this series. If you don't feel a little paranoid by the end of each episode, then you are not giving "Paranoia Agent" your full attention. Along with the intricate writing, the series has the cast to support it. A collection of excellent voice acting is what gives this series its intense atmosphere. Out of the entire cast, Kotono Mitsuishi (Excel from "Excel Saga) is the most impressive. She plays not one but two characters, Harumi and Maria. Her Harumi is very quiet, demure, and sweet. When she is Maria, she becomes this rude, vulgar, harsh sounding, nymphomaniac with a wicked temper. The fact that both voices are so far removed
from the hyperactive Excel is a true testament to her abilities. Like their work in "Tokyo Godfathers, the animation by Madhouse is magnificent. Familiar with the "Kon" style, they take Masahi Ando's (Spirited Away) superb character designs, and give it a realistic feel that few anime can meet. If all shows looked as good as this, there would be no talk about anime having reached it's peak. The opening theme, "Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen" by Susumu Hirasawa is amazing. His heavenly vocalizations along with his electronic orchestra really sets the bizarre tone of the series. Put this great theme with the powerful visuals of the opening animation, and you will experience something amazing! Satoshi Kon is, in my humble opinion, the greatest anime director of all time. Every single one of his stories has been ten steps above all others. No mater if it is a reality twisting tale like "Perfect Blue" or the surprisingly uplifting "Tokyo Godfathers", his movies do more than entertain, they make you think. "Paranoia Agent" is a welcome, refreshing, and brilliant addition to the anime world.

PERSONAL OPINION: "Paranoia Agent is basically about the portrayl of paranoia on the human psyche (Pretty much how paranoia can affect someone and how much time it takes them to 'snap'.That's what the creater of the anime, Satoshi Kon, intended it to be". In order to understand this anime series there are a few things you need to do:
1) Make sure you read about social behaviours and get into psychology's report on how human beings act towards society and how much damage society can do to the individual.

2) Make sure you have a proper state of mind if you want to watch the series and understand it, because you need to have a clear mind, to be very attentive, and think on the symbols displayed in the episodes.

3) You have to see the hole series at least twice to fully comprehend all the aspects.

Once you made sure to follow these 3 steps, I am convinced you'll be impressed and maybe even like the series. I confess I found the series quite amazing, genius, if I may say, and I shall see it again from time to time, during my life, because there are many social elements and psychological aspects in this series that I believe will continue to be present in our daily life for several years in the future. Anyway, two other anime series from the same genius category that I humbly
recommend are: "Serial Experiments Lain" and "BoogiePop Phantom". ^_^

-Asakura-

-Asakura-

:.Phenomenal.:

Quote by ShiroiShianMake sure you have a proper state of mind if you want to watch the series and understand it, because you need to have a clear mind, to be very attentive, and think on the symbols displayed in the episodes.

You have to see the whole series at least twice to fully comprehend all the aspects.

those are 2 excellent points about this series. if you dont pay close attention to the details, you will undoubtably be lost and confused. Paranoia Agent was a great series, i love anime that dive into your psyche and test the fabric of the mind. Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain are two excellent series that anyone whose interested in psycology must watch.

Signature

I agree with everything above, nothing more to say really. This is my favorite series right now along with Kinos Journey.
I really recommend it to everyone who likes this genre of anime and likes Satoshi Kons work.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

added category id. please remember to put new in depth threads in the correct categories to help sort the forums.

also, if you'd like to post your own review of this series, then please do so in the reviews section.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

PuffAngel

PuffAngel

Guardian Forever

Well i haven't seen the series, but there is an episode coming up on Adult Swim, so i might watch it. The thing is im not really used to a few objects you pointed out. 1st: If there's a sex scene then ill turn away. 2nd:Physics, in a way, creeps me out. I don't know why:probably because i dont like to be tested on anything rational. It sticks in my mind and i can't go 3 feet without thinkin' about it.

Finally, yeah i'll watch SOME of Paranoia Agent, and see how serious i get about it. I have no complete proper state of mind, have nothing in contempt for physics, and that being said, won't watch the series twice. So in my case... it might take a while.

"We can never know what sweet miracles tommorow may bring.... The lord works in mysterious ways, no doubt about it. I'm an art freak, how mysterious is that?! Thanks Man!" -Puff Angel

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.