Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 How much is PS3 going to cost?/How long will it become cheaper? - Minitokyo

How much is PS3 going to cost?/How long will it become cheaper?

page 1 of 1 21 total items

JC206

JC206

The Chaos Mod

Hey there when PS3 releases how much are we expecting to pay and how long are we going to expect it to become cheaper...as you know Xbox 360 has already released will this effect PS3 to become cheaper more later then we expected? I'm trying to figure out if I should just get it when it comes out or wait until it's cheaper but if I wait too long then Sony will prolly be to PS4

PS: Searched forum for a topic of how much PS3 is going to be but I couldn't find it but, I swore I saw a topic on how much PS3 is going to be but, I can't find it, so if anyone can tell me I'll close this topic.

After reading a bunch of articles floating around on the internet, rumour has it that PS3 will probably cost around $600 - $700. Yeah, you read that right. This will be for those "hardcore" gamers out there. Good luck trying to get one. Remember, this is from articles on the internet, they may not be accurate, but I wouldnt be surprised if it does cost more than $500

I can't quite believe it's going to be around $600 - $700, wow, they'd really be depending on brand loyalty to have a lot of people buy that, especially since XBOX 360 is the game in town for this holiday season. :-o Between 360's head start and holiday season advantage, you wouldn't want to go and then ask people to spend twice the money on the system, would you?

spider-x

spider-x

legendary rave master

if u need help then go to www.google.com ive seen the ps3 for $500 ther ok

Signature
im the one and only rave master

Zeliard

Zeliard

I confess! I'm an otaku!!

Here's an article from 1up published on 22-11-05.

Businessweek has done a neat job analyzing the report that iSuppli put out on Microsoft's projected losses with the Xbox 360.
An up-close look at the components and other materials used in the high-end version of the Xbox 360, which contains a hard drive, found that the materials inside the unit cost Microsoft $470 before assembly. The console sells at retail for $399, meaning a loss of $71 per unit -- and that is just the start.

Other items packaged with the console -- including the power supply, cables, and controllers -- add another $55 to Microsoft's cost, pushing the loss per unit to $126. These estimates include assumptions that Microsoft is getting a discount on many components.

That's about the same as the hardware plus component difference on the first Xbox, which some estimates put at about $125 per unit. Overall Microsoft lost about 8% of their total sales by eating that cost. The payoff? Microsoft's Xbox is now a bona fide challenger to Sony.

Of course, that is par for the course for a console, and especially for a new console launch. The losses per unit will diminish as components get cheaper - but then we can also expect future price reductions on the console, as well.

The report also predicts that Sony's PS3 will cost nearly $600 to make and will retail for about $450. Ouch.

Signature

XDE

XDE

Scanning XDE, CPA: Unknown

Quote by PookyAlertI can't quite believe it's going to be around $600 - $700, wow, they'd really be depending on brand loyalty to have a lot of people buy that, especially since XBOX 360 is the game in town for this holiday season. :-o Between 360's head start and holiday season advantage, you wouldn't want to go and then ask people to spend twice the money on the system, would you?

Yeah, Some People Would, I've Read That The XBOX 360 Is 10 Faster Than The Original XBOX, While The PS3 Is 25 Times Faster Than The PS2, And Personally I Hate XBOX, They're Too Big, And As For 360...Still Hate It lol, And I Really Don't Know How Much It WIll Cost, But If It's Gonna Cost Around 500-700 It's OK With Me, I'd Buy It :D

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Kuikka-kun

Kuikka-kun

Yori Fukai Yami He

It's been reposrted that X360 has some issues with its hard-drive, crashing and sometimes simply shutting itself. Luckily, Sony and Nintendo actually test their machines. I bet The Big N's still testing their N64.
For the PS3 price, it will be high. A very high indeed, more than $500. That's expensive. AND if Sony will make that game protection program, I won't be buying it.
My money's still on REVO. Nintendo knows how laughable idea the controller was, but after trying X360 controller, I once again saw how it sucks (DC+GC pad = X360 sucker) and PS3 boomerang...
Hm, I really like the idea that N has has.

Signature

I think it will be around 400 US...that's probably a reasonable price point. Sony will take more lost per console than MS for sure. But if they get a good user base like they did with PS2, they can always make the money back in 2 years.

Sony had stated many times that the console will be expensive. But that's probably just a business strategy to attract people buying PS3 when it launches by hyping up the price and actually selling it at a lower cost. PSP was predicted by people to be 400, but turns out the thing cost only 250 US. Another reason Sony hype up the price of the PS3 is probably try to get MS to price the 360 higher too.

Price drop for consoles usually happen within 1.5 years after it was released. Sometimes it's quicker, sometimes it's slower. Since this time the competition is pretty intense, a price drop for PS3 may happen one year after it launches. It really depends on how well 360 does and how quickly MS drops 360 price to fight against PS3

I think that after about 1 years then it become cheap

The Future Remains A Mystery, Hidden In A Great Cloud Of Unknowing

Even when the PS3 was first shown, the price was speculated to be around 500 because they needed to keep costs low for the consumer. But now, I've heard that the price might even go down to 400 dollars. But it really depends on the price of the technology that they are going to be using. If the cost falls fast enough, they might lower the price to compete with other systems.

I didn't think angels existed until I met one.

http://businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051122_410710.htm

Someone in that article says the PS3 is looking for a $600 price tag

edit: the article on 1up that Zeliard posted was referring to the article I posted

those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If Zeliard's estimates are correct about the predicted losses of the XBOX 360 production/sales loss, then PS3 is going to have a hard time. Think of this-By the time PS3 is released, the price of the XBOX 360 would have dropped by say $25-30 maybe more. The PS3 has already been estimated to cost at least $50-100 more than the 360 is right now, with very little differences between the two systems(HD not included in current 360). With that in mind who would buy a system that cost 100-150 dollars more than the competition other than hardcore Sony fans that couldn't find anything right with the XBOX even if it was perfect? I know if the next Soul Caliber(only games I play on console) comes out on both systems, and the XBOX is cheaper, there is no way I'm gonna buy a Sony for more just because its Sony. I think I represent the majority of people with consoles-they don't have any particular interest in company loyalty, but with what cost less and performs well(as I said, little difference other than the HD part-and I don't care about HD).
With that in mind, I think that Sony is going to have to lower its price soon after its release to stay competitive. If I were you, I would wait about 2-3 months after release to get the best prices(unless it is a critical part of life to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to play the few games that will be released at the opening of the sysem). Just remember-Neither of the companies can jack up the prices like what has been done in the past because the differences in performance between systems of opposing companies is growing smaller and smaller. Just be patient, and don't buy a product based on unwarranted personal bias-you are bound to loose money.
I own a PS2 right now, I also have a SNES, and Game Boy. Am I going to buy a PSP? Heck no, they cost way too much. Unless Nintendo does a turn-around, will I buy a Revolution. Not if it has followed their current trend in mediocre products in the console market. Will I buy a PS3 just because its Sony. Not if it cost more than the 360. Maybe if they lower the price.

JC206

JC206

The Chaos Mod

Dang this sucks....sooo much....The only reason I want a PS3 is because of PS2 games I don't care for the system itself....I would get a ps2 but i don't liek that slim down version it overheats.....but, it sounds like the ps3 is going to be very expensive ($500-$1000)....By the way what month are we expecting it's release? End of February 06 and the Beginning of March 06? If it's going to be expensive around $500-$750 like what everyone said it'll be then I guess I have to wait....T_T

I'll guess the ps3 will weigh in at $500, and hells yeah I'm buying one even if it costs more. I'm a console-neutral early adopter, and I'll pay whatever MSRP I have to for whatever console I need.

I take any news about the ps3 with a grain of salt. It's not out yet, and no one is really sure when it will be. It's common knowledge that sales of consoles never make money. Microsoft taking a buck twenty five hit is expected, and I remember reading that the ps2 lost $140 on it's launch. I fully expect Sony to take into account Microsoft's actions in the next year, and price their console accordingly.

Microsoft is getting a jump on the next generation, but I don't know how well the Xbox 1.5 will compete with the ps3 into the future. Maybe the price is right, but if price was everything, why is anyone bothering to buy a 360 when you can spend *less than half* on a ps2? If the ps3 was comparable to the 360 on the hardware level, we wouldn't be having this discussion, Sony would have screwed up major. But as it stands, Microsoft's decision to jump the gun might be genius or it might bite them in the butt. It's too early to tell.

Sorry, I'm getting into a slightly off topic rant here, but all of this discussion could be moot. Games themselves are getting too expensive to produce, and if this doesn't change, it won't matter what the ps3 costs. Shelf space is small, so companies have to make bigger and bigger games with bigger and bigger expectations to take the relatively small slots at Best Buy. After they've spent millions on development and the game tanks, developers will be pushed out of business. Games need to be shorter, less expensive to produce, and in fewer number. Publishers are too dependant on the blockbuster hits, they need to learn that overall, the non-hits outsell the hits (at least that is the case in the music industry). But this requires that big box stores stock older and out of the mainstream games. Any store has last years music and last years movies, but do they have last year's games? Probably not. Sony's rental and resale lockout technology and Microsoft's increasing some game prices to $60 are the kneejerk response to this problem, but it's just a bandaid for a hemorraging wound. Business models need to change.

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

i really hope that PS3 will cost under $600 and this game protection program doesn't go through.

Signature

acemile

acemile

Kaze No Koei

500$ would be nice for a stunning revolution...

Given all the things that have been said about PS3 on copy protection and stuff which was denied by Sony, I wouldn't pay that much attention to stated prices in articles or what not. This could well be another marketing ploy on Sony's part much like Microsoft intending to release Halo 3 on PS3 launch. For all we know, Sony may release PS3 well under $600 ot tie with the 360 with a slew of good games backing its launch simultaneously. That, my friends, could well trigger a price war between Sony and Microsoft like what we've seen between PS2 & XBox. The precedent is already there & I will not be surprised if that happens again.

The reason for this is very simple. IIRC, Microsoft is targetting Japan, Sony's most loyal customer base and I don't think Sony is stupid enough to let that threat to its grip on that customer base go unchallenged. This is at the very basic level & not counting the rest of the world.

ozg82889

ozg82889

negima freek

thats to expensive for me thats why im getting a revolution because the price and because i grew up with nintendo

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

the PS2 was about $800 when it was released (thats AU, dunno about US)

my guess the PS3 would be closer to $1000, wouldnt surprise me if it was either

the PSX (Ps1) was about $800 at the time of release

Signature Image

ibrahimm

ibrahimm

Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum

Its not going to be THAT expensive.. i guess about 400 bucks.

It will take a few months "I guess 4 - 6 months" before the price is dropped.

Not only the ps3 is going to be expensive, the games too. Because the games are so detailed, it will cost above avarege.. i think

Orokawa Ototoyo........

I don't think Microsoft will be able to get ahead of Sony in the console market anytime soon. They have gotten the Xbox out into the market earlier, but they do not have very much support in the Japanese game market. Sony does. And if you go to any game store, many of the big selling games are from Japan.

When the PS3 ships, I'm expecting the initial games line-up to be very nice too.

As for price, what will likely happen is that the console will sell at a fairly high price, because most of the people who buy it on release day will pay just about anything to get their hands on one. Around a week after the initial launch the price should drop drastically and then things go from there.

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.