page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Cancel

There are and have been many religions in the world, most with a notion of god or gods, with some variation. If you want to discuss the notion of a god or gods, you first have to define it.

When you use the word 'god', what do you mean by it?

Cancel

A conciousness/power that started/created the universe. You can go into a lot of directions with this I guess...

BGHughes

BGHughes

all who oppose me shall burn

Cancel

i dont use it much so i guess when i do use it, i mean a all powerfull person, with infintent wisdom

Signature
Kougaxgirl thanks for the awsome sig and avatar

• Nov 29, 2005

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Cancel

beside the obvious slanting of names like OMG....i don't really have a definition
except....
maybe this will do:

a non-relative superior imaginative being conjured by weak humans to define their mundane existence?

kinda morbid i know, but if you don't believe there is just an illusion that you create.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

hamed

hamed

BO!

Cancel

God Is The Creator Who Wasn't Created

dont be sad if you loved some one and he left you,,,
be sad if some one loved you and you left him,,,

• Nov 29, 2005
Cancel

The Revelation of Saint John the Devine 8:1 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

BiNumber3

BiNumber3

The 3rd one, tween the 2nd n 4th

Cancel

I agree with devildude, was gonna say somethin like that, less mean n what not but yea :D

Kids these days... taking love too seriously, shouldn't be worryin about love til they're at LEAST 11 years old

Cancel

OK, the way I see it, a god is basically an anthropomorphisation of anything sufficiently big, important and fundamental.

The idea of course being that humans, whose brains were basically developed to complexity by the need to deal with social situations, naturally ascribe human qualities to things when they are trying to understand them, so they can apply their brains to the things that they're designed for complex work on.

Unlike some of the definitions that tend to get offered up, this works for more or less any god. Examples:

God as the creator? Well, the universe exists, so unless you propose some sort of infinite steady-state timeline, at some point it started to exist where before it hadn't. (If time can be used in that way, the notion that time is a slightly local property is pretty recent.) So if you anthropomorphise the process by which it happened, you get a creator god.

God as in Athena, guardian of Athens? You want your city to be all nice and propperous and protected and such, once you anthropomorphise that process, you have a god. (Or goddess, it might have been, I can't remember.)

But the point is, it's not a "thing". It's a way of thought. For any force in the universe, it doesn't matter how it actually works, you can think about it as you would a human, or you can think about it in some other way. If you do the former, it's a god. If you do the latter, it's not a god.

beethoven

beethoven

darkness

Cancel

A being of a greater power than the one whom it refers to as it's subje ct (humans) ussaly thought to be all powerful or at least close enough no one see's the slight gap alot of people also refer to their creator EX. I AM (sorry can't rember the real thing jsut the translation) created Adam from dust and Eve from his rib or something like that but when used as in the context of the U.S.A. national moto

In GOD we trust... god would me your god if you belive in bhuda or Ali or even bob then that's your god

Only in the dark of your soul can you reveal the light of your heart" Stephen Penton
Signature

Cancel

God is defined to be whatever it needs to be defined to be, for the purpose of it being defined to be what it needs to be, in order to define it to whatever meaning it is suppose to mean.

In otherwords, it is defined as "the term" is the "undefinable term"

since almost no two people is ever gonna fully agree what it is defined as, it is useless as far as language goes.

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

• Nov 30, 2005

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Cancel

God is a thought that supports our daily existence into life, so that we do not seem to lose our way of morality and stability.
and God is the faith from which we inject into to satisfy our curiousity for the things we do not and cannot explain with our fragile heads.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

Shamshiel

Shamshiel

Crawling Chaos

Cancel

Quote by beethovenEX. I AM (sorry can't rember the real thing jsut the translation) created Adam from dust and Eve from his rib or something like that

You mean Yahweh (YHVH, YHWH, sometimes Jehovah).

I agree with Devildude's definition of god.

• Nov 30, 2005

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

Cancel

Quote by Shamshiel

Quote by beethovenEX. I AM (sorry can't rember the real thing jsut the translation) created Adam from dust and Eve from his rib or something like that

You mean Yahweh (YHVH, YHWH, sometimes Jehovah).

Uh, no. The actual Hebrew is E'he'yeh - the I AM bit. Deuteronomy isn't it? The bit with the burning bush? Derived from the verb HYH meaning "to be". Etymological studies have found, though not widely accepted, a link between the verb HYH and the name YHVH. The Y (jod) and V (waw) in Hebrew script has been confused and the fact that the Y may lengthen to a V with the same pronunciation doesn't help.

Literaly "I am what I am" - E'he'ye asher e'he'ye. "Tell them I am (E'he'ye) send you..."

Then again, another Hebrew (or Aramaic?) name of God, Yah, may be drived from YHVH, or KhYH meaning "life" - wich in fact is what Eve's name means. In the Hebrew she's called KhVH. Adam is merely earth or ground or man (not a single man, but as in mankind).

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

Cancel

i agree with devil dude. god was made by humans so that we would have a consious and have a better understanding of right and wrong. Also god was made to give people hope. for example, when you die. we all want to think that all the good we done would be rewarded in some way so we believe that when we die we would go to a place that would be beauitful and perfect or be recarnated into something better or something like that. although if you only said to people the truth which is when someone dies their gone. they don't want to believe it. why? i think it's becuz they wanna still have some hope that they will see their lost one day again. God was mainly the first rules or laws we had. if they weren't obey we would be down with the devil if they were they would be sent up to heaven. god was suppose to explain things and doings that we do not understand and it was our explanation to make us satified. this is what i think of god. Plz don't be offended in what i sayyyyyy.....

"I must destroy the despair-night
To shine in Eternity's sunshine."

• Mar 26, 2006
Cancel

I define a god as a being that is worshipped by people as a powerful and supernatural entity.

• Mar 26, 2006

Seiba

Seiba

ai shiteru guillo!

Cancel

..love?..duh..

mehh! x3~

Cancel

Quote by marmaladeboyfani agree with devil dude. god was made by humans so that we would have a consious and have a better understanding of right and wrong. Also god was made to give people hope. for example, when you die. we all want to think that all the good we done would be rewarded in some way so we believe that when we die we would go to a place that would be beauitful and perfect or be recarnated into something better or something like that. although if you only said to people the truth which is when someone dies their gone. they don't want to believe it. why? i think it's becuz they wanna still have some hope that they will see their lost one day again. God was mainly the first rules or laws we had. if they weren't obey we would be down with the devil if they were they would be sent up to heaven. god was suppose to explain things and doings that we do not understand and it was our explanation to make us satified. this is what i think of god. Plz don't be offended in what i sayyyyyy.....

you took the words rite outa my mouth! :D

• Mar 26, 2006
Cancel

I'd just say...God is the "person" that is just the greatest and best at everything ....thus the term Godly and Godlike in games.....because they are the best in the game... :p

• Mar 26, 2006

Kenichi

Kenichi

Retired MT Member

Cancel

{edit}

the definition of god: superior, powerful being..

but there is no god.. god is just an image that we perdicted.. like how we perdicted the future..

not to be mean to those that believe in god..

Signature

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

Cancel

#define GOD

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

Cancel

Quote by Seiba..love?..duh..

Zeus, Thor, etc. are also gods. They are not love. We aren't talking about Jealous (the name of the Christian god), we are talking about the word "god."

• Mar 26, 2006

Nosferatum

Nosferatum

Indomitable Platypus

Cancel

Devildude shurely defined something interesting.. Still, I have mine:
God is the entity that possesses will, can NEVER be comprehenced by the means of human race, and has some superior power over that thing we call universe.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc!

• Mar 26, 2006

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Cancel

God is a crude, early, and primitive human attempt to expain and rationalize seemingly irrational things such as diseases, famines, droughts, the sun and moon, and perhaps most importantly where we go after dying. God is basically human fear of the unknown.

We were afraid because we didn't understand it. How can you reason with the rain to fall? How can you tell the sun to shine? Human minds weren't capable of seeing the real causes. Their complexity was in understanding their relationship to other humans in the group. They were geniuses in the social aspect. So they made the rain a "person." A person can be reasoned with. Their services can be negotiated on. So how would you get Rain to fall? By complimenting him and giving gifts. By worshipping him.

So humans prayed to their silent gods. However, the benifit from this would be you have no fear of death. If there is an invisible world of gods who is to say you can't live on invisibly as well? You'd believe that the gods would see to your eventual afterlife and make it pleasant. After this takeover would be simple. The religious would fight the godless and they would always win. Why? Because if you have no fear of death you would keep fighting to the end for your "gods" instead of running away to recover. The godless would be terrified of these seemingly insane people who continue to fight even after losing an arm or be bleeding from a gaping wound. Surely they became the first demons. Slowely minds who are less likely to believe and have faith would be bred out. It was a simple matter of genetics.

Now humans are more aware and rational. However, there's still that bestial side of humans just in another form. Why do you think sex, drugs, and violence are so popular and prevalent in movies? Humans can rationalize and understand the rain but what they can't understand they look to God.

And that's my two yen.

• Mar 26, 2006
Cancel

i agree with hamed."God Is The Creator Who Wasn't Created"n god doesnt have child and not be childed. there's only one god

• Mar 29, 2006

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.