Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Computer Security: Microsoft OneCareLive Antivirus - Minitokyo

Computer Security: Microsoft OneCareLive Antivirus

page 1 of 1 6 total items

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

After having launched its AntiSpyware beta, Microsoft is now entering the realm of Antivirus support with the consumer beta of its OneCareLive program. The official announcement of the consumer beta is available at the Windows OneCare Team Blog. As of this writing, however, the beta download page, http://ideas.live.com/, seems to be down.

Just as Microsoft AntiSpyware is based off of the Giant Antispyware program that Microsoft purchased a while back, it seems as if OneCare is based off of the computer security program created by a Romanian company that was purchased by Microsoft not too long ago. However, that this company is a relative unknown raises some questions as to how robust or effective a virus protection solution it provides, even in its OneCare incarnation.

It's interesting that Microsoft would enter into such a venture. Given past history with Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, if OneCare were to be available free or as part of the default installation of a future Windows operating system, there could very well be cries of foul play and monopoly. That isn't my greatest concern, however. In my opinion, Microsoft should not be in the business of writing software to remove spyware or protect against malware (viruses, worms, Trojan horses). Rather, it should make sure that its operating system is robust enough to not be affected by said spyware and malware without having to use a separate piece of software on top of the OS.

That's, however, just my two cents.

I have yet to test out the beta, so if any of you have, feel free to note your comments on usability and effectiveness below!

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I've tried AntiSpyware beta and did not like it at all. It seemed to just bury itself into the system and start sucking away at my system resources. So I got rid of it after a day and have never looked back.

I personally prefer to use antispyware and antivirus by another company because I feel that I should not restrict myself to a system totally Microsoft. After all, if the Windows OS has security holes, one must wonder what holes there would be in the AV and AS programs. This potential problem would likely be compounded if Microsoft does make these programs native and integral to the Vista OS.

Afterall, many times security holes are discovered by third party companies or programmers and then later acknowledged by Microsoft. So if you rely solely on a 100% Microsoft system and they do not discover a potential security hole that leaves you open, then, well, you're kinda on your own.

And yes, were it so that Microsoft makes the OS much more impervious to viruses and spyware in the first place.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Quote by EternalParadoxI've tried AntiSpyware beta and did not like it at all. It seemed to just bury itself into the system and start sucking away at my system resources. So I got rid of it after a day and have never looked back.

I personally prefer to use antispyware and antivirus by another company because I feel that I should not restrict myself to a system totally Microsoft. After all, if the Windows OS has security holes, one must wonder what holes there would be in the AV and AS programs. This potential problem would likely be compounded if Microsoft does make these programs native and integral to the Vista OS.

Afterall, many times security holes are discovered by third party companies or programmers and then later acknowledged by Microsoft. So if you rely solely on a 100% Microsoft system and they do not discover a potential security hole that leaves you open, then, well, you're kinda on your own.

And yes, were it so that Microsoft makes the OS much more impervious to viruses and spyware in the first place.

Thats why you shut it down after you do a scan. I only turn it on to do a scan and then shut it down.

Adaware SE is way better though.

Signature

I wonder how much M$ is going to charge for it when they realeased the final
product.

Signature

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Hmm... since I'm going to be working for MS soon, does this mean I can't badmouth the product...?

I think the company used to make an antivirus program for Linux. It might be worth trying, especially if the original product was worthwhile. It does concern me that Microsoft is starting to make security software, however. It also worries me that Microsoft owns Gator.

Look out world!

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

LOL! MS isn't bad, use whatever you want. Typically, though, I always give anything a couple of versions before I start using it, regardless of who made it, gives them time to ge some of the bugs out. ;-)

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.