Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Frank Herbert's DUNE - Minitokyo

Frank Herbert's DUNE

page 1 of 1 9 total items

UnknownFact

UnknownFact

Silent Thunder

Hi. How are you? I hope you're all fine. I have a question.
I own the 7 books of Frank Herbert's Dune. I also own the 3 books of Pre Dune written by his son Bryan and by another guy. I have not read them yet. So I've been wondering: should I start by reading Pre Dune, or by reading the original Dune and then reading Pre Dune?
Thanks.

Signature
Fun.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

You should start on pre-dune. The pre-dune books such as The Machine Crusade explains many facets of the orginal Dune world. For example, you learn where the Bene G. (weird nuns) originated. You learn about the Jihad with the machines. Basically you get to know a bunch of backstory which is cool to know.

strakul

the Lord Dragon

I would say its best to read the books in the order they were published. You may not realize the importance of the Jihad or some of the details in it without having read originals. The other 3 pre-Dune books (House Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrino) are more directly related to Dune, but are not important to understanding the main plot- its just cool background info.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

UnknownFact

UnknownFact

Silent Thunder

Yeah, i've just read some pages :p
thinking on startingit this week ^_^U
That's why i'm posting here about it :p
greetings.

Signature
Fun.

Actually, you should start on the Legends of Dune series first:
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad
Dune: The Machine Crusade
Dune: The Battle of Corrin

And then continue with the Prelude to Dune series ( The 3 houses), and then finally the original series itself. But actually starting with the original series or the prelude is fine too. :) Since you only have the prelude and the original series, I guess you should satrt with the Prelude first.

Just a quick note, there are critics of the Prelude to Dune and Legends of Dune series because they were not written by Frank Herbert himself, and critics say there are inconsistencies. So, like Strakul said, it may be best to read the books in the order they were published. But personally I would start with the prelude first..

I actually have no opinion...the only one that I have read so far is Dune...but I'm working on the second one now...I just got really excited to see people interested in Dune...I was actually named after Alia, Paul's sister :D

I read "Dune" years ago, nearly 22 years ago, man did Frank Herbert had an imagination. For me, I would say it's safe to read the prequel before you start to read the books written by Frank Herbert. Just keep in mind that the other books written by Frank Herbert's son, anyone else will not have the same feel of emotions as the original author. So don't be disappointed.

Reading the "Dune" series is a complex, long process of the characters. They are complex, the society of Arakkis and the other world are more complex. There is much going on. Put it this way, "Who ever controls the spice, controls the galaxy !
The politics are anything but civil, kinda like how our politicics is.

Happy reading ! A most x-cellent choice of reading !

I say read the original books first. After all, when they were published, people understood them without the need of the "pre" books.

And this is just my opinion, but none of the other books can hold a candle to the first one. In fact, in my humble opinion, the last three books sucked. But then, that's just me, you might like them.

UnknownFact

UnknownFact

Silent Thunder

Hehe thanks all of you people for the comments.
That's what i needed.
I' m reading predune now. I will enjoy the reading i now! :P
and i've played Dune on pc games so I might know a few things :p

Signature
Fun.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.