Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 A question to the theist. Not a challenge. A simple query. - Minitokyo

A question to the theist. Not a challenge. A simple query.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

First off, i would just clarify that i am an atheist, but i would like to say that i do not like to jump into conclusions without any proper knowledge or study into any particular matter.

secondly i would like to ask the theists of minitokyo...
What do you perceive god as?
Is he supposed to be a being in heaven which is humanlike? (except he's not human, he's perfect etc.. you get the idea)
When one 'sees' god, what image does he see(or think, or perceive or imagine or etc)?

thirdly..
When one believes in the resurrection of jesus, does he believe it metaphorically or literally? as in does he believe that there was really this person on earth who died and came back again, or it was jus a metaphor to something (shucks i dun really know what i am asking)

I've been reading this book written by a physicist who tries to prove the existence of a god in physics terms, which makes me look at 'god' in a new light, however before i say anything i would first like to understand the common man's image, perception, concept of god before i say anything stupid...

Peace..

... he might be seen humanlike...

... literally and factual...

Sallyf322

Sallyf322

*_Amateur Guitarist_*

I consider myself agnostic...that's kinda like being atheist, isn't it? I believe in no particular god, but something/someone has to be pulling the strings somewhere. I think god pretty much reflects what people themselves see as a perfect person...or a person that reflects them. Buddha is Asian like a lot of his believers. I'm sure Ali reflects the majority of his believers as well. Jesus reflects his earliest believers according to all the paintings and statues of him that I've seen...

"If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, then we'd see the day...when nobody died. I'm singing amen I, amen I, I'm alive." - Nickelback: "If Everyone Cared."

If only, if only, the world were like this. If only, if only, it only existed.

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

Quote by Sallyf322I consider myself agnostic...that's kinda like being atheist, isn't it?

Well it's kind of in the middle between theism and antheism

According to Wikipedia:

Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the truth values of certain claims—particularly theological claims regarding the existence of God, gods, or deities—are unknown, inherently unknowable, or incoherent, and therefore, (some agnostics may go as far to say) irrelevant to life. The term and the related agnostic were coined by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869, and are also used to describe those who are unconvinced or noncommittal about the existence of deities as well as other matters of religion. The word agnostic comes from the Greek a (without) and gnosis (knowledge). Agnosticism, focusing on what can be known, is an epistemological position (dealing with the nature and limits of human knowledge); while atheism and theism are ontological positions (a branch of metaphysics that deals with what types of entities exist). Agnosticism is not to be confused with a view specifically opposing the doctrine of gnosis and Gnosticism—these are religious concepts that are not generally related to agnosticism.

Agnosticism is distinct from strong atheism (also called positive atheism or dogmatic atheism), which denies the existence of any deities. However, the more general variety of atheism, weak atheism (also called negative atheism, and sometimes neutral atheism), professes only a lack of belief in a god or gods, which is not equivalent to but is compatible with agnosticism. Critical atheism admits that a god or gods are meaningful concepts but the evidence for them is not in hand, so a default position of not believing in them must be taken in the interim.

Agnostics may claim that it isn't possible to have absolute or certain spiritual knowledge or, alternatively, that while certainty may be possible, they personally have no such knowledge. In both cases, agnosticism involves some form of skepticism towards religious statements.

bindermichi, that was quite enlightening...

the book i read was quite bad, as it claimed atheism to be materialism, which means that only 'matter', which meant something which has a weight etc exist... That's atheism materialist... there are many other kinds of atheist beliefs, like naturalism etc, which i know not much about either...

Anyway, i realise that most of the people who reply here are not true theists, perhaps it is because of this forum's little popularity, or is it that most theists do not have a clear perception of the god they believe in?

RubyDrg0n

Wanna-be-Drg0n

lol.....it is bad...... maybe we have to create a new term for people who don't believe in religious entities....

Anyhow....ppl do usually present their gods as a similarity of themselves.... (or is it that god present him/her/themselves in the similarities of their believers.... but who knows?)

perspection of god is usually in term of feeling i think..... coz to try to imagine someone whom you haven't met b4 and only described in some texts which we don't really know of its reliability.... and also the limitation of languages to describe something......

From my discussion with some of my Christian friends..... they only know that God is "perfect" but do not know in wat sense of "perfectness"..... They only know how to describe with the medias they seen like Christian movies or pics that appear from media....

So i think the answer for this question is actually that ppl sees god by what they learn from other sources.... like a book or a dream or a discussion or anything......

my 20cents

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

Quote by RubyDrg0nFrom my discussion with some of my Christian friends..... they only know that God is "perfect" but do not know in wat sense of "perfectness"..... They only know how to describe with the medias they seen like Christian movies or pics that appear from media...

Right. Most ppl posting here seem only to believe what they've read or been told, without asking any questions.

Reminds me of some practices in the early days, when most ppl couldn't read :)

And since education is getting worse and more ppl don't read any books it's getting easier to give them info that is "written" somewhere knowing they won't look it up to proof you wrong.

You could see this as a very disturbing development since it doesn't only influence the religious opinions of people... it's currently also working pretty well in politics and economics.

There is no reason why God should have a shape , i believe God is somthing like the energy around us . I find the idea that he/she/whatever is an old man absurd , and that "what if god was a woman/black/green/lol" that makes no sence. Since god knows everything , he should know by chosing a form would make him more favorable to some people while less to others.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.