Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Belly up to the bar .. - Minitokyo

Belly up to the bar ..

What type of are you ?

A
2 votes
B
1 votes
AB
1 votes
O
8 votes
Don't know what I am
5 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

RW

RW

Guardian of MT Laws

When I turned 18 I have given a part of me 6 times a year for the last 16 years . I belly up to the bar and give a pint of home grown O+ , I'm talking about blood . An was just wondering about members of MT , do you know what type of blood you have ? An how many have ever donated or have thought about donating . What do you think of donating blood ? What are your questions on the topic ?

Myself I don't like needles an never have , but I still donate , to me it is a small price to pay to help another humanbeing . After all it's in our nature to care about life . Donating will give you a different point of view about the person standing on side of you , after all they my have some of you flowing in them . I have donated to this date 96 pints and I will keep donating until I am gone . Just to think in the US alone 4.5 million Americans would die each year without life saving blood transfusions and approximately 32,000 pints of blood are used each day in the United States. Donating blood could mean the difference between life and death for everyone ..

There isn't a country on the face of this planet that doessn't have a blood shortage .

So Please Donate !
It's about Life !

Here are some Facts:

1. The average adult has 10 to 12 pints of blood in their body .
2. No valid substitute for blood so when you need it the only place to get it is from other human beings .
3. Every 3 sec, someone needs a blood transfusion, that's 16 people every minute, 960 every hour; 23,040 every day, or 8,409,600 every year .
4. You cannot get AIDS or any other disease by giving blood .
5. Females receive 53% of blood transfused; males receive 47% .
6. People who have been in car accidents and suffered massive blood loss can need transfusions of 50 pints or more of red blood cells .
7. One out of every 10 people entering a hospital needs blood .
8. Just one pint of donated blood can help save as many as three people's lives .
9. Giving blood will not decrease your strength .
10. Just one pint of donated blood can help save as many as three people's lives .
11. A newborn baby has about one cup of blood in his or her body .
12. People donate blood out of a sense of duty and community spirit, not to make money . They are not paid for their donation .
13. Blood fights against infection and helps heal wounds, keeping you healthy .
14. There are four main blood types: A , B , AB and O . AB is the universal recipient and O negative is the universal donor .
15. Blood centers often run short of type O and B blood.
16. Shortages of all types of blood occur during the summer and winter holidays .
17. If all blood donors gave 2 to 4 times a year, it would help prevent blood shortages .
18. If you began donating blood at age 17 and donated every 56 days until you reached 76 , you would have donated 48 gallons of blood .
19. About three gallons of blood supports the entire nation's blood needs for one minute .
20. Blood donation takes four steps: medical history , quick physical , donation , and snacks .
21. The actual blood donation usually takes less than 10 minutes . The entire process , from when you sign in to the time you leave, takes about 45 minutes .
22. One unit of blood is roughly the equivalent of one pint .
23. You cannot get AIDS or any other infectious disease by donating blood .
24. Fourteen tests, 11 of which are for infectious diseases , are performed on each unit of donated blood .
25. Any company, community organization, place of worship or individual may contact their local community blood center to host a blood drive .
26. The average red blood cell transfusion is 3.4 pints .
27. Much of today's medical care depends on a steady supply of blood from healthy donors .
28. One unit of blood can be separated into several components (red blood cells , white blood cells , plasma , platelets and cryoprecipitate) .
29. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the body's organs and tissue .
30. There are about one billion red blood cells in two to three drops of blood .
31. Red blood cells live about 120 days in the circulatory system .
32. Platelets help blood to clot and give those with leukemia and other cancers a chance to live .
33. Donated red blood cells must be used within 42 days of collection .
34. Apheresis (ay-fur-ee-sis) is a special kind of blood donation that allows a donor to give specific blood components , such as platelets .
35. Donated platelets must be used within five days of collection .
36. Plasma can be frozen and used for up to a year .
37. Plasma is a pale yellow mixture of water, proteins and salts .
38. Plasma, which is 90% water , constitutes 55% of blood volume .
39. Blood makes up about 7% of your body's weight .
40. Healthy bone marrow makes a constant supply of red cells , plasma and platelets .
41. The average bone marrow transplant requires 120 units of platelets and about 20 units of red blood cells .
42. Patients undergoing bone marrow transplants need platelets donations from about 120 people and red blood cells from about 20 people .
43. Severe burn victims can need 20 units of platelets during their treatment .
44. Children being treated for cancer, premature infants , and children having heart surgery need blood and platelets from donors of all types .
45. Anemic patients need blood transfusions to increase their iron levels .
46. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients and patients undergoing open-heart surgery require platelet transfusions to survive .
47. You can give whole blood every 56 days , single platelets every 48 hours , or a single plasma donation every 28 days .
48. 17% of non-donors cite - never thought about , as the main reason for not giving, while 15% say they are - too busy. The #1 reason donors say they give is because they want to help others .
49. White cells are the body's primary defense against infection .
50. After donating blood , you replace these red blood cells within 3 to 4 weeks . It takes eight weeks to restore the iron lost after donating .
51. Granulocytes, a type of white blood cell , roll along blood vessel walls in search of bacteria to eat .
52. Since a pint is pound , you lose a pound every time you donate blood .
53. Anyone who is in good health , is at least 17 years old , and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days .

http://b.domaindlx.com/animeost/index.html/Seasons-Greetings.gif

Signature Image
FACTS Do Not Cease To Exist Just Because They Are IGNORED !!

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

my blood is dirty, who would want that? anyway, my bro in the marines has donated regularly, what a trooper...

omoshiroi facts

-repeat-

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Well, blood type A- here...but sadly i've never given blood. Yes, i don't like needles, actually, i despise them, but that's not really why i don't give any. And yes, i thought about it, hard not to, when they use my school's cafeteria for it... But, for one, I'm actually underweight. o_O Second, I'm not really healthy either so... >.<

nice facts... ^^

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I used to donate, but since I was in the Middle East region for a while, and was given Anthrax vaccinations, I can't donate blood anymore. It will be about two years before I can even try to donate and chances are I may be turned down then.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

its AB+ here... i cant really remember but i guess i did donating blood^^

Type O: the universal donor.

...Although I'm a pretty useless specimen. I really want to donate blood but everytime Red Cross comes to the university, I either have a cold or my period. It sucks really.

RW

RW

Guardian of MT Laws

jasaiyajin , you brother is kind to do that for others . :) Why would you say that or should I ask that of you . In either case we have to remember that ever tiny drop is a life saver . ;)

Ayamael that doesn't sound like a place I would want to donate my blood either .. :( When you get a little bit going for you , go for it . ;)

When that time come LigerZSchnider , an if you try to donate an they won't let you . At least you gave it a shot . Pardon the pune . :D

AkiraK , what are you waiting for then ..

Didn't you mean to say Revue , your pretty specimen .. ;) When the time is right , you'll get to donate . lol

Signature Image
FACTS Do Not Cease To Exist Just Because They Are IGNORED !!

Cammie

Cammie

Yurikitten

I have no idea what type i have...although i suppose i could donate blood if i get some money for it(Do they still give money for that? :P). Im very used to needles(No im not a drug addict or anything :P)

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

im O+

ive donated 5 times, would be about 7 or 8 times if i could of donated every time

i should go back again soon and make a booking to donate blood again lol

Signature Image

Karnage14

Karnage14

Anime_Junkie

i wanna know

Diamond-dreams

Diamond-dreams

Ai & Yuki

Wow, thank you so much for such an informative post ^^
I'm O+ and I've never donated blood before, but I'm not afraid of needles and I believe it is indeed something important to do. The heart of a volunteer is just so powerful... specially when you care so much about all the lives you might be able to save. I see nothing wrong with donating blood and I would if I could, but my relationship with my parents is not so well, and since they would hardly let me out.. well, perhaps I should stop before I start crying... anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm just giving dumb excuses..
Well, I will always believe donating blood is a kind way of letting the world know how much you care. Besides, the donator's happiness is to see his/her blood is now a part of somebody else, is something that could save a life..
I consider admirable the fact that you've donated blood so many times, and I would congratulate you in person if I could ^_^'
Nice thread by the way ^^

Syngo

Syngo

Laughing in my head 24/7.

I hate needles, but I give blood every now and then. Didn't know so many people needed blood though. I'll think about giving more later, right now I'm sick.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.