Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do you collect? - Minitokyo

Why do you collect?

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 54 total items

afaT

afaT

Let Air take me home...

Well, I collect because it looks nice when I put them up somewhere ^_^'. And as a fan I like to collect on all the different stuff that exist in this whole world O.O. Its so much fun when you buy something and then put it up on a nice spot in your room or appartment ^^. Its also fun to see so many different stuff from just one series. Its so much stuff O.O. So collecting doesnt get so boring, you always find different artbooks and posters ^^

Thats my answer ;)
~~~~~~~~
afaT

Signature Image

when i was a kid i love to collect sea shell.. i have whole collection of sea shell until there were no place to keep them.

I collect anime images, football cards, and old coins. Out of my collections, the images are the largest followed by the cards. Anyone wanna trade? XD

Want to see Ar Tonelico 2? Post here!
http://com4.runboard.com/bnisamerica.f2.t1206

I collect manga, picture of horses and stamps

KitClairvoyance

KitClairvoyance

The Secret Cookie Hoarder

I collect.. simply because I can.. o.o ..I take pride in my collection, and well, I like it when people go like "Wow.." over my anime or book collection, sure it means sacrificing one or two meals a day just for the extra cash, but in the end, anime lasts longer than food.. To me it's better to eat a loaf of bread than to go to some restraunt and spend twenty times the cash, it all comes out the same anyway.. ^^ .. and you can save a lot of cash each day like that..

Daemoro

Daemoro

Charatouille or Bust

I collect anime (faves and hard to find ones) and generic (ex: cars, babes and Star Trek and whatever interests me) pics (could use a 1GB flash drive, my 256MBs aren't enough, I use one for MP3 storage, and another for my pics), anime DVDs (mostly favorites from various screenings) that catch my interest and keychains (ones that I like).

And I used to have a buttload of POGs, anime and Star Trek cards (which I still have to the day)

According to my calculations, your problem doesn't exist.

Oh, and mostly anti-celeb/anti-Hollywood/anti-commercial since 1978

I think identity is an important factor. Immersing myself in what is familiar and dear to me can make up for a weakened sense of identity. Since identity is largely derived from our memories, the fragility of human memory may influence one to rely on external reminders of one's existence. For those who collect in consideration of its effect on other people, it may be an expression of individuality. A strong desire to own more often than not plays into the process of collecting, but I have no speculations for the reason behind this. I only know that the desire, once fulfilled, is followed by a sense of security.

On a superficial level, I buy books for practical purposes, and employ a system for book purchases. Ideally, I will buy a book if it satisfies any one of the following conditions:

1) Cannot be acquired elsewhere
2) Requires time to read and reflect upon -- more time than borrowed books allow for
3) Is a favourite, warrants future readings, beautiful typography and cover, inspires desire to own
4) Non-fiction which I will inevitably refer to from time to time

And only after I have a good idea of what the book is like, either through reviews or personal experience. Owning books can give the illusion of owning the knowledge within as well.

3) relates to the interesting question of why I collect wallpapers. Having few guests to impress, my motivation cannot be expression of individuality. Since the wallpapers I collect do not necessarily contain elements which are familiar and dear to me, it cannot be for the sake of enhancing my sense of identity either. To answer the question would be to explain why people appreciate and collect art. Do works of art exist to be seen and admired? If so, then do we not have a right or responsibility to preserve its existence by ensuring that it is seen and admired as much as possible? Or do they exist out of sheer necessity, because the ideas demanded to be formed? In which case, art appreciation could be a celebration of creativity... and the beauty therein.

subway tickets: Monterrey, Paris and Mexico city.

Fandom. that's the reason I do it. I see something nice and I'll try and collect it. I've not got a knack for collecting much though. Costs a lot of money for some things, and the cheaper things may be 'out of style' afterwards. So I just have small collections of dragon and anime figures.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by mughiThere has been several posts on what people like to collect. However, I have yet to see any post on why you want to collect. So my question is why do people want to collect things? Is it for pure enjoyment or are you collecting so that whatever you collect may appreciate in value and you'll sell it at a later time for a profit.

This is quite an interesting little question that was actually brought up again quite a short while ago from a distant conversation I had with a good friend of mine, and it was also funny that I was able to see a similar topic like this one here on the forums, as I was deligently passing by and taking a quick glance at it myself. As for the word of collectibles that seemingly rung instantly into my mind, the first thing I apparently thought about was my music collection, my ancient coins collection, and last but not least, my seemingly limitless number of posters jammed sluggishly into my closet as well. Now that I mentioned about it, I should be taking better care of them, you know. **Giggles**

For pure enjoyment? Hands down, it seemingly had to be a must in my life. Without music, my travels would have never been as interesting as it would have been. Without music, I would never had pursuited my deep interests in fellow idols, actresses, and singers right from the country I now reside in at the same time. No MISIA, no Aya Ueto; I'd definitely have to kick myself if such music never really came into existence, which is why I take great appreciation for why they are still around and how they still exist just as strong as ever, even as of today. On a second note, its funny that you mentioned about its monetary value, which is an added bonus to the seemingly endless J-Pop CD collection that I have already ended locking up and hardly touching in my very own personal room. Since I have been collecting these authentic CDs and discographies off the famous and also the very mysteriously unknown for 8+ years so far, multiply that by over a thousand and you have quite a lot of value on your hands. But I still love my songs, and I'll never give them away, for as long as I live.

This finally leads to the final point. Why do I still keep collecting? To be brief, its been a long time interest of mine since I was born into the media industry as a very extremely young girl, a hobby I never really ever want to get rid of. You could perhaps call it the perfect devotion, in a sense. I find nothing wrong with collecting wonderful music by spectacular artists nowadays, and I have truly evolved my experiences and knowledge beyond that of a masterful listener in my particular field. The benefits are well worth it too at the end, and I won't ever let this passion of mine go. **Waves her recently signed poster directly to the sky and salutes** Go Aya Go!

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

What I collect: Manga, predominantly shonen manga, with a bit of shojo in between. Aside from the general fact that I like the story lines and artwork, it's also for a bit of art reference for when I draw.

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

I collect sterling silver rings, cute stationery, stickers, and works of art my friends make.
i used to collect turtle accessories and white stuffed bears.

"SING like no one's listening, DANCE like no one's watching, LOVE like you've never been hurt."

I dont really know why i collect stuff....mmmm....good question...

i just collect. There's just a pleasing thought about it.

I collect coins, and I don't put a lot of effort into it to be honest, they all just sit in a box rather than in albums or anything. I used to collect stamps, shells and rocks but I kinda gave up on those. I still have the collections but don't really have any desire to expand them.

why i collect? never thought of that lol. i collect warhammer cuz i enjoy that sorta stuff. wen i was small i always liked strategy games and massive army battles/wars. then i came across warhammer and im like, yep, this is my thing. i was surprised there was such a hobby out there that suited perfectly my sense of style xD

I collect games and books. More so books than games. Books because one can never have enough books, and I always find myself wanting to read something. Thusly, I always have more to read.

Its crazy I tell ya.

I collect because I want possessions. I need to feel value in myself with the things I have bought. Well, not really. I collect because I just want it. It either benefits me greatly or has made an attachment to me of some sort.

I collect video games I enjoy.
I collect comedy dvds that are funny and not anything based on US humour/series.

There are alot of stuff but most mostly because I enjoy something and don't want to lose memory of it.

I like collecting things from where I have been. I been able to travel due to the military, be it on holiday, work, or just visiting friends I made and have moved to other areas. I mainly collect glasses, magnets, and shot glasses.

Also I keep and display plaques presented to me as that is my acomplishments in the military and life.

Khest

EsunaMeggy

EsunaMeggy

Bubbly and Eccentric

I collect Barbie Dolls. Not the ones found in stores, the "special" Barbies. I don't really care for them that much but my aunt's been buying me them for years, and besides they're starting to grow on me.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.
-Mel Brooks

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I collect for enjoyment, but also to define who I am and have something to signify an achievement, no matter how petty or insignificant it may seem. Then there are collections that give me something to remember -- I've been collecting my cat's dishes, toys, and hairs that he shed around the house since he passed away last month, and I want something more besides pictures to remember him by.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

I collect coz I'm obssessed! ^_^'
Before I used to collect: Books, my fave Celebrity posters and cards.
Today I collect: Anime Scans, Anime DVDs, Anime Songs, Anime Cards, Anime buttons, and so on... Anime + anything! Lols* :D

when i was younger i was collecting stamps :p
Now i collect DVDs of my favorites Anime, the Manga who i have a crush,
Anime+Manga figures and plusies and everything with Neko from stuffed Nekos to pencils with Nekos
And i collecting all that only cause i love to do it ^_^'

nejika

nejika

sry not active as i use to be

Yup, i like collecting stuffs esp mangas n anime. I also loves to collect beautiful pics like sceneries and of course animanga posters ^_~

merged: 03-24-2007 ~ 12:28am
it's fun and makes me happy

Signature
"artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
------->>Currently Inactive

I collect anime and manga bacause I enjoy watching them, the reason for this that on my 7th birthday I was rushed to hospitial and I have the worse nightmare and never had a dream from that day. Maybe I fear dreaming because of the nightmare or something more troubling.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 54 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.