Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? - Minitokyo

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Which should be used?

Merry Christmas
17 votes
Happy Holidays
16 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

winxfairykay

winxfairykay

Teenage Samurai

Hey everyone. This is what I believe to be one of the biggest topics for this winter season.

What do you think we should use? Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Why?

Ok, now here is my personal views on it. Feel free to quote me all you want, for I'm up for debates.

I personally think everyone should say Happy Holidays. Why? For one, it doesn't offend everyone. Unless they want "Unhappy" Holidays, and that can't be helped. If you go up to someone and talk, and walk away and say "Merry Christmas", it could very well leave them with a bitter taste in their mouth. Sure, people like to express their beliefs, but express them at home, or with family members that believe the same as you. The political term should be Happy Holidays. It would be to hard to sit there and name off everything this covers. Happy Holidays can even cover Thanksgiving. Even if you think we should say "Merry Christmas", ask yourself this: would you want someone laying their beliefs on you when you were just minding your own business? And, think if the government you lived in sent cards saying "Merry Christmas and God Bless America". Now, thats sort of pressuring one religion on a nation that was supposta be have the right to free religion, or the VERY first amendment to our U.S. Constution. So, Bush needs to stop saying "God Bless America" in his speeches. He didn't say it in his national address the other day, now did he? But thats another topic altogether...

Signature Image
Winx has currently gotten verrrry busy. Please email me if you really need me!

TimothytheDarkMagician

TimothytheDarkMagician

The True Dark Magician

I think it should be happy holidays because not everyone celebrates christmas

Signature Image

thecatmistress

thecatmistress

the cat`s meow

gotta go with what Tim said ^^.

Signature Image
my user page made by k1ru ^^
COLOFULL WALLIES!

animefairy

animefairy

Bored student

I think it should be "Happy Holidays"! I agree with TimothytheDarkMagician about not all people cerebrate Christmas!

Thank you so much to soujiokita fro making my avy and sig! Mega thanks! *hugs*
Signature
Check out my userpage layout by Chichiri1907

Well I say Merry Christmas because if you say Happy Holidays, what holiday is it? People mistake Christmas as just a day of giving gift and Santa or as I'd like to say Satan. Actually I don't really like to say neither of those because when people say merry christmas, it makes me think of that fat santa. It's my opinion so people probably don't agree with me.

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

Shamshiel

Shamshiel

Crawling Chaos

In politics there shouldn't be any specific religious mention, and I agree with the God Bless America thing. But this seems kind of dumb in normal life. I am an atheist, but I really couldn't care less what Happy this or Merry that a people wish one another or me for that matter. I mean, this is sort of a stupid thing to be offended by; unless there is hostility intended I think people should just wish each other a Merry, Happy, or whatever thing they want. As long as you don't shoot me I couldn't care less what you happen to be wishing me. Unless it's death. Or horrible suffering. Or sterility.

To answer the poll I don't care, but that is not a choice.

hellbomb

KaBoom!

it doesnt really matter to me. i basicly know what they mean.

....(_)_TNT_)----#
..(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
(_)(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
"somebody set up us the bomb"

Happy Holidays sounds more universal, but I thnk that Christmas honors the day of Christmas more... Don't you think so? ^_^

happygreendragonfly

happygreendragonfly

The Cheerful Person

I agree with both TimothytheDarkMagician and hellbomb. Not everyone celebrate christmas and saying Merry X-mas or Happy Holidays does not bother me. However, I would prefer to say Happy Holidays because it gives me the feeling that the holidays last longer than a day than if you said Merry X-mas! ^__^

I agree with Justice48. Christmas is to honor the birth of Christ. I don't practice religion but I subjectively feel more for Merry Christmas than Happy Holiday.

I've heard also heard that some people are trying to force the business to say Happy Holiday instead of Merry Christmas which I think is wrong. If business owner want to say Merry Christmas than let them say so.

DarkSavior

DarkSavior

~Death's Adversary~

I think people are just too politically correct. I like the term Merry Christmas even though I don't really believe in god. It's more of a tradition and I feel like just because some people feel offended by it, doesn't have to make everyone else suffer from it. I mean... like the Christmas tree... would you call it the holiday tree? Even with the violence in video games... just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else can't be able to play it... little by little, people are taking what they believe is right and forcing it on everyone else... It's all about respect at the end and people don't really respect anyone these days. When I do go to the church I don't act like an asshole just because I don't believe in god out of respect. You think you respecting people because you said happy holidays but really you don't even respect what was there to begin with... atlease that's how I see it... Merry Christmas always ^_^

I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be...

Alfonse

Alfonse

MugenGlider

You know, I agree with DarkSavior here.
People are indeed becoming too politically correct.
Why the need to use Happy Holidays. If people force it upon you then that's unjust wouldn't you say?
I've heard how people working in Wal-Mart for example, are now forced to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
What's up with that? Shouldn't you be free to say what you want. And have freedom of religion.
Just because Christmas is religious doesn't mean you can't use the term Merry Christmas. It's also tradition.
And don't people have common sense? Those who don't celebrate Christmas shouldn't be offended by it if they know what others mean by it.
I don't have anything else to say but that.
Let it be Merry Christmas neh? :D

'Signature Image'
My Latest: Oscar
My Original:Almighty Power

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

"HAPPY: GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY TO BUY USELESS PRESENTS FOR PEOPLE I DON'T REALLY LIKE AT ALL"

:)

hellbomb

KaBoom!

geez, what kind of family do you have?

....(_)_TNT_)----#
..(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
(_)(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
"somebody set up us the bomb"

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Quote by vatican92Well I say Merry Christmas because if you say Happy Holidays, what holiday is it? People mistake Christmas as just a day of giving gift and Santa or as I'd like to say Satan. Actually I don't really like to say neither of those because when people say merry christmas, it makes me think of that fat santa. It's my opinion so people probably don't agree with me.

You keep contradicting yourself, but basically what I'm getting is that you think Christmas is too commercialized (which is a little off-topic, but, whatever) and that people should say Merry Christmas because it's Christmas. But not everyone celebrates Christmas, and to many many people, December 25th is just another uneventful day of the year.

Quote by Justice48Happy Holidays sounds more universal, but I thnk that Christmas honors the day of Christmas more... Don't you think so? ^_^

Yes, but not everyone celebrates the day of Christmas, so of course it's fine to say Merry Christmas to people you know celebrate that holiday, but not everyone celebrates Christmas, so if you're, for example, a store clerk, then it's more "on the safe side" to say "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" to people you don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole thing is ridiculous. I celebrate Christmas (although I'm not religious), but I wouldn't be offended at all if someone said to me "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa". It doesn't really matter to me, but there are people who take major offense for whatever reasons they have--religion is just an extremely touchy subject.

But it's ridiculous how obsessed with "political correctness" everyon has come, to which point some people even say that saying "Happy Holidays" is incorrect because there are some religions that do not have a holiday at this time of year, and would prefer that people say "Season's Greetings" instead. I think it would be so much easier if everyone just gave it a rest and celebrated their respective holidays in peace. Obviously, the world needs much more tolerance, but equally obviously, as has been shown through the myriad of religion-and-ethnicity-based wars and genocides that have occurred in the world's history, then that's probably not going to happen.

So, I think to avoid as much conflict as possible and have the most pleasant holiday, whatever holiday that may be for you, it's easier to say something nondenominational, like "Happy Holidays", to people you don't know.

Just my two cents.

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

The term"Happy Hoildays" is used because of how close Christmas and New Years are. Only five days seperates the two. So it is prudent to say Happy Holidays to cover for both holidays, unless you are planning to see them again between the two. People have misread this fact and now think its better to say than "Merry Christmas". In fact, the term "Seasons Greetings" will be more appropiate, but I don't see the revelance to that term. It just fit right, I guess.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

Holidays include every other holiday for people who don't celebrate Chrimstmas so it's Hapy Holidays from me! :D

happygreendragonfly

happygreendragonfly

The Cheerful Person

Quote by bindermichi"HAPPY: GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY TO BUY USELESS PRESENTS FOR PEOPLE I DON'T REALLY LIKE AT ALL"

:)

BUT I'M A POOR PENNILESS STUDENT! I DON'T HAVE EXTRA MONEY FOR YOU! YOU'RE A GROWN MAN, MAKE SOME YOURSELF! ^__^

Sorry, winxfairykay... didn't mean to spam... ^__^

Darktekya

Darktekya

Anime Lover

Interesting treath. I don't want to say that all people in the US suffers from the same situation, but are the only ones that get so simply complicated with such nonsense things. The US was originaly a land full of indian towns that mostly believe in nature, after the first inmigrants (mostly of them christians) arrive to that part of the american continent (let me remain you America is not only the US), they started sharing the christianism. Of course not all "christians" were so "pacific" as a christian suppose to be and they killed mostly of the indians. That is only a little of history, but christmas celebration is about Jesus Christ birth, when he decided to abandone His throne and come to give salvation to the world.

I like the position of DarkSavior. I do not mind if you believe in God or not. The US had its foundation on christian principals, one of them is the freedom of religion. That means that everybody can "wish me a Merry Christmas" if wants or not. I don't mind if president Bush speaks about God, 'cause I cannot confirm that he actually is doing God's will.

I believe in God and also believe that I can respect everybody else beliefies, Christmas is Christmas.

Also as LigerZSchnider said "Happy Holidays" is an expression to refer not only to Christmas but also New Year's celebration, and most recent to refer to any other holidays that people practice close to these celebrations.

People who can share their beliefs without feel ashame or threath and at the same time can respect and hear others that do it also, are the ones who are correctly acting. Any extremist or people who share beliefs but that act against them, is not to be trust.

Remember that Christmas is about sharing, about love and reflexion. All the comercial and "political correctly" ways unfortunately mess with this celebration.

merged: 12-21-2005 ~ 05:34am
Oh! I forgot! by the way Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Can sin be forgiven? Cloud Strife

I totaly agree with what TimothytheDarkMagician said. some people are raised on a differnt backgound. like me I am reised on the jewish relagen and my dad is a christen.

My your light and dark Ka form the perfect BA.

http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=danielbgrisso

Limefreak

Limefreak

So many Limes so little time

I saw down with "Happy Holidays" XP .... if you say that it could mean anything.... like it could mean happy (valentines day, st patricks day, veteran's day, 4th of July,etc. :(
Who honestly cares if someone is offended? :D besides it's christ's birthday. Not even man can change that. Christmas is Christmas and it should stay that way.

There's nothing wrong with saying Happy Holidays, but doing so just because saying Merry Christmas is considered as insensitive and insulting... I have a problem with that.

I don't know why people would be offended if someone wishes them a [Happy/Merry Something] because I don't see how it's something said out of disrespect nor an attempt to impose one's beliefs on another. People shouldn't be afraid to say Merry Christmas.

It could be said that if someone has any respect for the religious differences of others, they would just play it safe. But I think this respect is better expressed by people understanding that others just want to share and express their joy for their holiday even if it's not yours.

Also there's something so innocuous about Happy Holidays that I feel it's somewhat of an empty saying. If someone wished me a happy Christmas/Chanukkah/Kwanzaa/etc. I consider it more sincere and heartfelt.

So to sum myself up, I prefer people wishing others a holiday greeting for whatever holiday they celebrate.

bindermichi

bindermichi

Slayer of Tomatoes

Quote by hellbombgeez, what kind of family do you have?

No, we just agreed not to buy presents for each other...

merged: 12-21-2005 ~ 03:41pm

Quote by happygreendragonflyBUT I'M A POOR PENNILESS STUDENT! I DON'T HAVE EXTRA MONEY FOR YOU! YOU'RE A GROWN MAN, MAKE SOME YOURSELF! ^__^

YOu can keep the money, but i think you got the concept. Christmas was al about family, and celebrating... Holidays are only about spending a lot of money on useless things.

I would say Merry Christmas, I mean you don't have to celebrate christmas to say merry christmas.....its just a name, I don't think people should be offended by that. Santa and reindeers is hardly what I would call highly religious beliefs, he's just a symbolic presence at christmas just like the easter bunny is at easter. I mean what does the death and resurrection of christ have to do with a bunny giving out eggs?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.