Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? - Minitokyo

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Which should be used?

Merry Christmas
17 votes
Happy Holidays
16 votes

Only members can vote.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 30 total items

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

Get over it. I don't celebrate Christmas, never have. And I have never been offended by people wishing me a merry one, it's a silly thing to be offended over. And on one hand it opens the door to what could turn into a polite talk about ones beliefs if one is inclined to talk about it.

I do believe in God, but not in the same way many of you do. I don't care or mind what you're celebrating at this time Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solcitice, Saturnalia or Ramadan (sp? I'm not muslim either) Funny how so many religious holidays fall right around this time of the year. I don't observe any of them.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

hmm i guess it depends on how its said. and i guess if you know the person isnt christian/celebrates xmas, then use happy holidays. If he is then use xmas.

personally i get ticked off more at the carols...man they are anoying. not to mention i disagree with most of em lyricly

well have a happy getting drunk season XD :D

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

I say Merry Christmas. To those I say it to who don't celebrate Christmas, they know my intentions are good and aren't to spite them. There's no hard feelings.

Most people I know celebrate Christmas, and I don't like catering to a slim minority much.

zoku88

zoku88

Resident Lolicon

Quote by LimefreakI saw down with "Happy Holidays" XP .... if you say that it could mean anything.... like it could mean happy (valentines day, st patricks day, veteran's day, 4th of July,etc. :(
Who honestly cares if someone is offended? :D besides it's christ's birthday. Not even man can change that. Christmas is Christmas and it should stay that way.

Actually, Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth, not the actual date of Christ's birth. He was actually born somewhere around October (at least, that is what scholars think since that would be around the time where Bethlehem would have some festival which is why it was too crowded.) Christmas was used to replace a Pagan holiday. It was another tool used to fight the Pagan religions.

Mies

Mies

Confused Loli Fanatic

Personally I'd say Merry Christmas, only because I'm a Christian.

But in advertising, I'd say Happy Holidays. Sure, Christmas is on the 25 of December, but the other holidays occur in the same month, and to cover every- single- different- religion, it'd be pretty difficult. Just think about how many different religions are out there. Now take only the major ones -try and make it so that one doesn't offend another. It'd be pretty difficult. Jewish people do not believe in "Jesus" as the savior, but a phrophet, while Christianity does.

There's just too many conflicts with trying to cover them all, so a nice general, clean statement is the best solution. That's why the "Happy Holidays" is a good thing to use.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

PikaMoon

PikaMoon

***star gazer***

Quote by LimefreakI saw down with "Happy Holidays" XP .... if you say that it could mean anything.... like it could mean happy (valentines day, st patricks day, veteran's day, 4th of July,etc. :(
Who honestly cares if someone is offended? :D besides it's christ's birthday. Not even man can change that. Christmas is Christmas and it should stay that way.

Yep yep, I agree. But not just that, people originally celebrated Christmas, and by saying 'Happy Holidays,' they're just trying to take that away. If people feel offended, they shouldn't be having a Winter Break and shouldn't be celebrating anything. For Christians and...Catholics, Christmas actually has a meaning and they have a reason to celebrate. I think it's extremely aggravating and annoying when people keep on saying 'Happy Holidays.' Who cares about offending someone when they don't have a religion. Too many people would feel offended over the smallest things. This "political correctness" is just all crap. There's a stupid company that is all for political correctness and they claim that Christians are persecuting the minorities. But with all this political correctness, who gets persecuted the most? Christians, dang it. XO Oh. Whoops...ranted too long. So, in conclusion, I'm all for Merry Christma. ^_^'

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 30 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.