Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Euthanasia:what's your opinion? - Minitokyo

Euthanasia:what's your opinion?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

sacred-angel

sacred-angel

loving only you~

Hi!I'm currently studying psychology at university (1st year ^^)and I'm supposed to do a debate(discussion) with my class about Euthanasia.
I've done some researches in the net about this topic.At first, I agreed with it, cause I thought that people have the right to end with their lives if they are experiencing extreme pain or in cases of terminal illness. Everyone should have the right to do so, if they are suffering.
But then I started reading more and thought about it: what if the pacient can survive to the illness?many studies say that if the pain and depression are treated correctly like if it was with a normal person, who wanted to commit suicide, then the will to commit suicide would be gone.And what about the friends and family?wouldn't they live in frustation knowing that they helped someone dear to die?
This is really an hard topic cause on one hand I still think that people should have the right to do what they wish with their lives but on the other, isn't there hope and other ways to end with suffering?

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

Ok....

What if the patient pulls out of this illness or extreme and have been permanently damaged, either mentally or physically? How can that person continue their everyday lives with a detrimental disorder? What kind of assistance can they receive if there is no family support structure?

Me, I personally don't know myself, but these are factors that you also gotta take into consideration. I am just giving you another side to look at. ^_^'

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

This is a difficult topic, I thought I had a good response, but then thought more about it. Euthenasia is specifically about ending someone elses life when they can't make that decision, so it differs from suicide. I think the decision to euthenise someone should first be up to the individiual (through a living will), then the family and doctors working together to judge the persons quality of life and chance of recovery. It is a very traumatic experience to go through the choice for someone else, but with modern medical technology, fairly accurate assesments can be made about a persons ability to recover, and possibly make the decision to commit suicide themselves.

RubyDrg0n

Wanna-be-Drg0n

i think i will take chances on this.... like let it be..... or something.....
coz i believe "luck" is an important factor to survive..... so it doesnt matter on whether euthanasia is rite or wrong... it is just whether that person has enough luck to let him live or die.....

jaam0927

Live with honor, die with glory.

If the patient can be saved, even if hes suffering beacuse of all the pain, he must try to live, right? then why is the reason to die?
but if he cant be saved, and he chooses to end with the pain, let him, I mean its his life....

Its fine because its that persons choice. once you start telling people what they can and cannot do with themselves, you go down the path of being totalitarian.

instead of asking is it aokay, ask why you should be allowed to stop someone making a choice about their life that does not affect others in a physical manner.

I think Oregon has the right idea. In Oregon a doctor an perscribe a person who is in extreme pain etc(like bone cancer) or are terminaly ill an overdose of some kind of medicine and then the patiant decides IF and when they decide to take the overdose to euthanise themself. If a person is not mentaly concious enough to do this I believe that is when a will comes in to play.

Gin yanotte Ichimaru Taishoo
Ikorosu shinsou

Anaxa

Anaxa

Wish

I respect those that do this, cuz there's no need to be so selfish to retain a person that wants to die by his/her own will. That, with humans. In animals, my bro had two dogs that needed euthanasia, and we allowed it. They perhaps needed to short their pre-mortem state, isn't it? But after that, I don't like small dogs because it brings me bad memories.
Returning to humans, I don't know, I's a serious and delicate thing. But, I don't like it for being honest. There are other ways like paliative medicine, there are many choices to handle with pain.
Now, some countries legalize the use of euthanasia, but that could mean 2 things: 1. You can steal a fortune or a heritage applying that letal injection.
2. Let's suppose someone depressed or stired up. That person may fall back on that :(

No matter what you play, if you can move the warm light
Idly sitting by, letting the tide slowly rise around and embrace you

Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Euthanasia. Yeah I Like it. Dave Mustain of Megadeth Rocks!

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

^^ For those that don't know, euthanasia is the medical practice of assisting someone to end their own life. (i.e. the Jack Kervorkian controversy) It's also a pretty decent Megadeth album, but that's not really the issue.

Personally I think if the person already has a living will, then euthanasia should be authorized. Some make the argument about how much it hurts that person's loved ones, but bottom line is it should be their decision, just like other things such as who/when to marry, where to live/work, etc. that may hurt or offend others. Just my $0.02
:pacman:

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

somebodyelse -

I was just trying to lighten up a pretty serious subject.

Dave Mustain Rocks!

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Ok, my bad...I wasn't sure
:pacman:

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

That's O.K. ;)

My .02 worth is that in some cases people have a very horrible existance to face and if they have made this choice of sound mind in a living will then it's up to them. My country(USA) was founded on the principle of choice. Take away choice and what's left?

ishimi

ishimi

Mouichido kimi ni Itai!

well its just how everybody reacts!

"Do not become wise in your own eyes"

Acyx

Ork Warlord

Hypothetical situation: Your old family pet has recently been diagnosed with kidney failure, is old, feeble, and decrepit, and can no longer function on it's own as a living entity, in short order to avoid prolonging suffering, the animal is put to sleep.

In the case of a human being however, as soon as terminal illness sets in, the patient's life is prolonged until completely invalid, and in cases strung up to life support equipment like some form of grotesque cyborg in hopes of prolonging the inevitable. I sometimes wonder why we euthanize animals who are dying and in pain, yet do not allow the option to be available for people who are suffering from a similar problem (since there is no specific cure for many of the said illnesses) or from irreversable effects of their illness.

Unfortunately, the U.S. is a conservative country in which God reigns supreme, and if we take another person's life to end their suffering, we'll disrupt the natural transition of their "good Christian" souls and end up invariably going to hell for our heresy. If it becomes widespread, we'll have a "slippery slope" in which murder is okay (*cough* bullshit *cough*) and common sense no longer applies as an end result.

The problem I think with American lawmaking is that there's always an open end when it comes to these things, no concrete limits are ever established as toward what's acceptable under the provision, and what is not. As long as no concrete boundaries are established, the argument will continue and will continually veer off course to the point of sheer absurdity with arguments such as the concept of the "slippery slope". It's probably none of my business to discern what is murder and what is euthanasia, although euthanasia could probably be re-defined as: "The purposeful ending of a terminally-ill patients life with familial, doctorial, and lawyer's consent to the procedure." Murder however would probably retain it's original definition despite the new addition of legal mercy killings, as that I seriously doubt anyone would go to that length of fraud just to off someone and save their own ass by citing euthanasia in the process.

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu..."

So there's a serious disease in Euthanasia?
ANyways, I don't think killing and ending their lives are the best way. But I could be wrong......
I still don't think killing/suiciding gets u anywhere.

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

The consenting adults principle is quite clear on the subject of voluntary euthanasia; if death is the fully informed and unpressured will of the patient, then causing it can not be prohibited.

And it's pretty disgusting to deny to a human a mercy which you would be considered cruel to deny to a pet.

Jakkals

Jakkals

The Angel of Death.

Just screw the families and friends. They aren't the ones suffering. I think that it is alright to end your life if you are suffering from some kind of incurable diease or extreme pain.

And as Mineban says, it is cruel to deny a human mercy which you would deny to a pet.

Signature

Euthanasia is a thing anybody has to decide for himself. An old man who know his death will occur for sure and he will die in pain should be able to know somebody who will let him go in peace. It's just one last wish to honor. And no one has the right to take this decision from that old man. Doing so would be the same thing as tortute until death occurs.

I am pro euthanasia
Do all you can to preserve life BUT if there really is no chance of making a patient better than it's best to let them go.
Life is valued by how much it's worth living I think. Once life has lost all it's charms I think it's better to let go.

Euthanasia is murder. Pure and simple. Suicide is wrong, no matter the circumstances.
Let me tell you all something. I am in constant pain due to scoliosis. As I grow older, that pain will grow worse, and I can even lose motor function if the curve of the spine grows too severe.
Does that give me the right to kill myself? No.

Life IS Pain. Deal with it, stop your whining, and realize that we're all going to die anyway, so why be in a goddamn hurry?

Acyx

Ork Warlord

Quote by bwebEuthanasia is murder. Pure and simple. Suicide is wrong, no matter the circumstances.
Let me tell you all something. I am in constant pain due to scoliosis. As I grow older, that pain will grow worse, and I can even lose motor function if the curve of the spine grows too severe.
Does that give me the right to kill myself? No.

Life IS Pain. Deal with it, stop your whining, and realize that we're all going to die anyway, so why be in a goddamn hurry?

Are you dying of cancer or some other incredibly painful terminal illness? Are you braindead and in an irreversable vegatative state with no chance of recovery whatsoever? Are you suffering from the end stages of Alzheimer's disease (much in the same way that my paternal grandfather died) and rigged up to a ventilator, feeding tubes, monitoring equipment, and insulin administering catheters like some cyborg because you no longer know how to eat, or breathe, and because you're a diabetic as well? I'm sure there are treatments for scoliosis that you can use and use quite effectively Bweb. What you're dealing with is comparitively mild to the things I mentioned above.

There is no "hurry" to die, although there is also a want to not prolong suffering. If I euthanize a dog who's kidneys have failed, who is nearly blind and deaf, who's skin is racked by mange, I do so on the same premise of not wanting to prolong the animal's suffering. Another story comes to mind of a similar scenario. About a year ago, I was called over to a family friend's house because her cat had dragged in a young rabbit, tore most of the hair off of it's flank side, bit it several times to cover it's haunches and a few other locations on it's body with puncture wounds, and then left it on the floor, still breathing, writhing in sheer, indescribable agony, slowly dying.. and it lay there for in upwards of eight hours before I arrived on the scene. Without question, I saw that the animal was indeed not going to survive, was indeed in pain, and without hesitation I decided to end it's life by breaking it's neck (for a rabbit-sized animal, a forceful slap on the back of the skull is sufficient). Relatively quick, painless, and invariably doing the animal a favor.

What's to say that a person cannot be euthanized for a terminal illness, hmm? Is it the fact that we all possess souls, and interruption of God's will would make us inherently evil? Perhaps we've thought that when it comes to letting our terminally ill loved ones die on their own, that God's will alone takes too long, especially when suffering of the patient is prolonged via machine. What's the worst he could do in retaliation, come down from his celestial abode and bring forth the Apocalypse?

It's as you said "we're all going to die anyway." Why not go out with a bang?

-Acyx

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu..."

Because life is too precious to just throw it away, even if you are in excruciating pain. Pain lets me know I'm alive. I prefer it that way. Anyone who wants to kill themselves is lacking the most imporant of all human drives, self-preservation. Everyone should fight to cling to life as long as they can, and when they can't do so any longer, then they'll be dead.

elessar007

elessar007

Scan Collector Extradonaire

I'm glad to see that bweb has come up with the authoritative answers. Its good to see someone take a stand, but even better to see them force that view upon others.

I'm sorry you have scoliosis and I wish you the best, but please don't make the mistake of thinking that it somehow entitles you to be rude and disrespectful of other people's opinions by characterizing them as whining.

One particular term has seemed to escape discussion. 'Quality of life' was discussed but I don't believe the actual term was used. We aren't talking about euthanizing healthy people who have a high QofL or ill people with realistic chances of recovery. We're talking about ending the pain and suffering of people who are in the final stages of a terminal illness. I believe that life is precious, but hanging on thru the use of a ventilator and other extraneous means with no end in sight and no real hope for recovery is not living in my opinion. It is existing. The difference between living and existing for many people is the impetus for a DNR order. They don't want to be hooked up to machines in a desperate bid to hang on. I believe that choice should be respected as long as it was made in clear conscience.

BTW, I'm kind of surprised that no one made a joke about teenagers in China. Youth-in-Asia ;)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.