Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Get rid of Google ads on MT - Minitokyo

Get rid of Google ads on MT

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

Hello, people!
I have found out a working method of saving your loading time and hiding the Google ads. I will explain how to code it yourself further. For a quick test of how does it look without the ads, do these simple steps:
1. Open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc directory.
2. Edit the hosts file in there. Attention: It has no extension; if you let it add .txt automatically, it won't work.
3. Add these lines at the end of the file:
217.11.246.244 pagead1.googlesyndication.com
217.11.246.244 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

4. Save properly.
That's it - no more ads!
Now I will explain how does this trick work. The IP mentioned is simply my IP and the 404 error is redirected to an ASPX script, which tests whether the URL contains the pagead substring. You can add more substrings for filtering ads from elsewhere, not just Google, but that's a different story. When the 404 script detects that it has been taken instead of an Ad, it terminates with an End command, returning Null data, thus 1. hiding the ad, 2. saving your time and speed. EDIT: End replaced with empty HTML for making it work with proxies.
But this requires my computer running now, so I'll explain how to install it yourself.
First, this tutorial requires you to have Windows XP Pro or other 2k based Windows with an IIS server. If you have an XP Home, please follow the hacking methods described elsewhere, How to enable IIS on WXP Home Edition. Now, first install the IIS to get one web server. Next, and this next is crucial, install Dot .Net Package. It has 23MB. If you got something smaller, you got it wrong. Note: Win2003 already has ASP .NET in the System Parts (unsure of this word) installation dialog - you don't need to download it for them. Now that your server works, create this ASPX script:

<%@ Language=VB debug=true %>
<script runat=server>
private sub Page_Load()
dim n as string
n=Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")
if instr(n,"pagead")>0 then response.write("<html><body>"):exit sub
if instr(n,"popup")>0 then response.write("<html><body>"):exit sub
'...add as many lines like this as needed, replace the word popup with a substring in the ad domain name.
response.write("<h1>404 - Not Found</h1>")
end sub
</script>

and save it as "404.aspx" in your web root directory, by default C:\Inetpub\WWWroot and configure it: Right-click My Computer, click Manage. Go to the last line, Server Management. Go to Properties of your WWW server and find the Custom Errors tab. Find the 404 line and edit it to say:
/404.aspx
Now it's almost done. Edit the hosts file in much the same way as described above, except that you put in the address of the computer you added this script on, be it your own (127.0.0.1), a friend's one (all people in LAN can use 1 configured machine for ad removing) or, like in this example, in the internet - mine is configured to offer this.

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

1. the ads don't seriously affect loading time (56k and broadband users)
2. they work for the benefit of MT (clicky clicky :D)
3. they're small and take up minimal space.

While I'm not saying that this is completely wrong, in the end it's just a method for cheating a system designed to work for MT. The ads aren't there to annoy members, but to ask for their support =p

mah~~ if you want them to dissapear permanently you can always click away or use the paypal button below XD

flyingsouldragon

Dragon of old age.

uhm, its just for the good to keep mt online so dont think this will be wise, ur doing urself harm in the end. -_- -_- -_-

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

Looks like I'm the only weird one who hates ads. :\

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

raging_otter

Not In

actually if you are using firefox, those google ads are blocked automatically when you activate the adblock... but you can also deactivate it just for the google ads, so you can click the ads when you visit mt.... hey we need to support MT in some ways rite? a little clickie clickie wont hurt your index finger :D

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I've always had the ads blocked on my home machine, which I believe is due to my hosts file (since I update it semi-regularly to block all sorts of ads and some site-based trackers.) However, since I dropped a tip in the paypal jar, I feel I've done my part. :)

Interesting, Ive got to try that sometime.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.